Cup RACE thread --- Daytona

Keep Leigh Diffey forever

Rick Allen would have ruined it by trying to tie in some random storyline about Harrison to make it awkward while also squeezing in one of his catchphrases….which he probably would have butchered.

So happy for Harrison, I was a HUGE Jeff Burton fan growing up, so it helps me like Harrison a little bit, plus he seems like a good kid. Very awesome moment for him.

Definitely shouldn’t be able to run for a championship however.

So happy for Harrison, I was a HUGE Jeff Burton fan growing up, so it helps me like Harrison a little bit, plus he seems like a good kid. Very awesome moment for him.

Definitely shouldn’t be able to run for a championship however.
Yes he should, its a rule.

huh? We aren't taking gray area stuff, this is a hard and fast rule.
There are a number of people, a majority actually that follow the rules. Make a rule no matter how outlandish and they will follow it.

This isn't stick and Ball. This is supposed to be racing. The very last car, 32nd place wins one race and he gets put above 16 other cars? Sorry my brain doesn't work that way.

There are a number of people, a majority actually that follow the rules. Make a rule no matter how outlandish and they will follow it.

This isn't stick and Ball. This is supposed to be racing. The very last car, 32nd place wins one race and he gets put above 16 other cars? Sorry my brain doesn't work that way.
The point is only that it is the rule. No one is arguing that it's a GOOD rule

Everyone is playing by the same rules. It isn't perfect, but no one has an advantage. Drivers adapt to rule changes. NASCAR wants ratings, and the weird, but exciting playoff format delivers.

Hey, whatever. The last place car in the series, leads only one lap, wins the race, leapfrogs over at least 16 other cars in the standings, and your good with it? Sorry, I won't ever be ok with it. Gaslighting on a grand scale IMO.

He was fantastic. Illustrated just how inept and what a gigantic boob the previous PbP guy was.

Yeah. I know people have defended the guy, but Jesus.

He doesn't belong calling racing. Too fake. Send him to the WWE. At least with that TV show you know it's fake.

The 20 yota laid down on him lol.
Well, at least he showed Lil' Sweet that you can finish a race without taking the leader out. Like I said, when KFB is your role model, your team has a problem. Maybe Poor Richard needs to have Orange give Kyle an inspirational speech or something.

Well times change you either change with them or get left behind. I've got over 50 total years from watching it as a kid to being involved. I've seen more changes than anyone on this board and I can justify it and understand it.

Yeah. I know people have defended the guy, but Jesus.

He doesn't belong calling racing. Too fake. Send him to the WWE. At least with that TV show you know it's fake.
Most of the time I can see where people are coming from.....I had no issue with Rick. Don't really care much so if Diffey works, so be it.

Well times change you either change with them or get left behind. I've got over 50 total years from watching it as a kid to being involved. I've seen more changes than anyone on this board and I can justify it and understand it.
I agree. We get myopic with rules. Kind of like kindergarteners really. Let's look big picture. Harrison wins. Who does it affect? Bubba, Ross, and Buescher.....so, has Harrison had a better year than them? Nope, but all three of those guys should have won a race by now. So, the proposition is.....Would we rather subpar years be rewarded or a Hail Mary at the end of the regular season? Opinions may vary, but old school system people like to throw it out there like an injustice in the highest order has been inflicted upon hard working racers. This just isn't the case. The system keeps guys like Harrison who has not been successful in Cup relevant until the very last race of the regular season. IF the Playoff System has an issue--and I am not sure that this is an issue--it is in keeping those outside of the Top 16 relevant until race 36....but who really cares? I love this system.

I think just because “win and you’re in” is a rule, doesn’t make it a good rule. A 32nd in points driver has a chance to compete for a championship let alone win one. Anyone that’s watched the races this year with their eyes, I hope would say his season hasnt been playoff caliber nor is he deserving of a championship. I say this in no way to take away from his win or moment last night, that was cool to see. But let’s not lie to ourselves and say the “Win and You’re in” rule is a good one. I will say it’s amusing as I’ve seen on socials and on here the same people giving flowers to the Hail Melon last year and fawning all over themselves at that move taking a gigantic dump on what we saw last night with Harrison winning. Both instances are the result of this playoff, zany things happen. Doesn’t mean it’s a good look, but things are going to happen that will make a fan scratch their head.

I agree. We get myopic with rules. Kind of like kindergarteners really. Let's look big picture. Harrison wins. Who does it affect? Bubba, Ross, and Buescher.....so, has Harrison had a better year than them? Nope, but all three of those guys should have won a race by now. So, the proposition is.....Would we rather subpar years be rewarded or a Hail Mary at the end of the regular season? Opinions may vary, but old school system people like to throw it out there like an injustice in the highest order has been inflicted upon hard working racers. This just isn't the case. The system keeps guys like Harrison who has not been successful in Cup relevant until the very last race of the regular season. IF the Playoff System has an issue--and I am not sure that this is an issue--it is in keeping those outside of the Top 16 relevant until race 36....but who really cares? I love this system.
They’re all hard working racers and hard working race teams. There’s no way Harrison should be relevant in a playoff system because his season hasn’t even remotely been playoff worthy. He won a race and earned godsend to extend it, but you can’t objectively look at the season as a whole thus far and come to the conclusion he’s a more playoff worthy/caliber driver than the other drivers you mentioned.

I thought you hated stick and ball sport comparisons to racing? If we’re doing this then it’d be like my Chicago White Sox, this year probably the worst team ever in the entire history of MLB gaining a playoff berth because they beat the New York Yankees last week. Anyone that’s watched the team and MLB this year as a whole would find that indefensible. That’s exactly what we see now with the 21 in the playoffs, it’s a bad rule.

They’re all hard working racers and hard working race teams. There’s no way Harrison should be relevant in a playoff system because his season hasn’t even remotely been playoff worthy. He won a race and earned godsend to extend it, but you can’t objectively look at the season as a whole thus far and come to the conclusion he’s a more playoff worthy/caliber driver than the other drivers you mentioned.
If he isn't worthy he will be ejected from them in due course

I thought you hated stick and ball sport comparisons to racing? If we’re doing this then it’d be like my Chicago White Sox, this year probably the worst team ever in the entire history of MLB gaining a playoff berth because they beat the New York Yankees last week. Anyone that’s watched the team and MLB this year as a whole would find that indefensible. That’s exactly what we see now with the 21 in the playoffs, it’s a bad rule.
That is/was an example of how ridiculously wrong both of them are. Sorry if you can't wrap your brain around it.

Okay...stick and ball....I come from an era in MLB when four teams made the Playoffs. Now, you have near .500 teams making the Playoffs with a shot. We get confused between a system that rewards the best performance, and a system that qualifies you to become champion. They are not always (maybe rarely) one and the same. NASCAR does a good job of determining a champion......whether or not that champion is the best of the year creates arguments for the offseason. Not a bad thing.

That is/was an example of how ridiculously wrong both of them are. Sorry if you can't wrap your brain around it.
No I really did wrap my brain around it and gave an example from another sports world to back up your initial point in agreement. Consider my brain in fact wrapped.

So … in the opinion of many pundits, the rule is NFG.

What happens next?

Back
Top Bottom