Cup RACE thread --- Daytona

Okay...stick and ball....I come from an era in MLB when four teams made the Playoffs. Now, you have near .500 teams making the Playoffs with a shot. We get confused between a system that rewards the best performance, and a system that qualifies you to become champion. They are not always (maybe rarely) one and the same. NASCAR does a good job of determining a champion......whether or not that champion is the best of the year creates arguments for the offseason. Not a bad thing.
Agreed about your MLB point. 100% agree with your racing point.

I believe people can passionatly disagree about the how the championship points are determined without insulting each other.

What fun would it would be it we agreed on everything.

So … in the opinion of many pundits, the rule is NFG.

What happens next?
That’s the big question, what can be done? I don’t think it’s as simple as changing it to “top 12 in points with 4 wild cards”. To be honest I don’t think anything happens, it’ll just be business as usual.

So … in the opinion of many pundits, the rule is NFG.

What happens next?
A season long champion with the potential to have the champion crowned in September leaving the question, "Why bother?" for the rest of the season is my guess. I am not a "racer." Maybe one who qualifies as such could explain. I will just be over here buying my Championship gear.

A season long champion with the potential to have the champion crowned in September leaving the question, "Why bother?" for the rest of the season is my guess. I am not a "racer." Maybe one who qualifies as such could explain. I will just be over here buying my Championship gear.
Has a champion ever been crowned in September? Come on man.

It would be very chaotic, and if we’re gonna have this rule, then I’m going to hope for the chaos.
1724604204544.gif

You can’t be reasoned with!

If there was another "NASCAR" running a similar schedule with no playoffs and no stages that's the one I'd be watching instead of what we currently have. The problem is there isn't one. NASCAR has a monopoly on stock car racing.
If it doesn't taste that great but you're hungry, you're gonna eat.
The new generation that is running the sport is only interested in money.

Then you have Bill Elliott winning 11 races in 85 and Waltrip wins the Championship winning 3 races. There was no bonus for winning races.

Then you have Bill Elliott winning 11 races in 85 and Waltrip wins the Championship winning 3 races. There was no bonus for winning races.

There were no playoffs, either.

The numbers work out the way they work out. Race wins pay more points than any other finishing position.

After debating points systems and championship formats on here for 5 years or more, I totally lost interest in repeating the same things over and over again. My opinion is... life's too short to keep repeating stuff you've already repeated 50+ times.

I guess that makes me a simpleton or something, compared to y'all who are passionately posting the same ol' same ol' and still going strong.

After debating points systems and championship formats on here for 5 years or more, I totally lost interest in repeating the same things over and over again. My opinion is... life's too short to keep repeating stuff you've already repeated 50+ times.

I guess that makes me a simpleton or something, compared to y'all who are passionately posting the same ol' same ol' and still going strong.

einstein.jpg

Personally, I'm not going to worry my old brain with "what ifs". That's beyond my pay grade. I'll let the big wigs
at NASCAR do the heavy lifting, it's why they get paid. It doesn't matter to me if they twist Oreos apart or play rock, paper, scissors.
As long as there are cars on the track, going fast, I'll watch.

Comparing other forms of playoffs to this win and you are in thing, there has been a whole can of band aids applied to this version. I can believe that some of those band aids have been applied because of fan criticisms and outrage.

They only gripe I have with Nascar is their screwed up points system. The racing is great, the variety of tracks beats anything in motorsport. Artificially clowning it up with this points system is just dumb IMO.
Couldn’t have said it better. Nowhere in the world in any series do you see a better variety of racetracks and closer competition. It’s a shame it’s all de-legitimized by a format that doesn’t belong in motorsports.

Couldn’t have said it better. Nowhere in the world in any series do you see a better variety of racetracks and closer competition. It’s a shame it’s all de-legitimized by a format that doesn’t belong in motorsports.
Before this race they had 4 drivers within striking distance of each other for the lead in the series. That's enough drama, it's legitimate instead of the fairy tale we are watching.
BTW they had two heavy hitters, Larson and Hamlin have bad nights last night, and Bell who was behind both had a good night. But wait we had a last place car win a race and that is the news.

I just think it’d be cool to be able to say after Darlington that “The playoff field is set and now the best 16 drivers from the 2024 season will be competing for the championship.”

I agree. We get myopic with rules. Kind of like kindergarteners really. Let's look big picture. Harrison wins. Who does it affect? Bubba, Ross, and Buescher.....so, has Harrison had a better year than them? Nope, but all three of those guys should have won a race by now. So, the proposition is.....Would we rather subpar years be rewarded or a Hail Mary at the end of the regular season? Opinions may vary, but old school system people like to throw it out there like an injustice in the highest order has been inflicted upon hard working racers. This just isn't the case. The system keeps guys like Harrison who has not been successful in Cup relevant until the very last race of the regular season. IF the Playoff System has an issue--and I am not sure that this is an issue--it is in keeping those outside of the Top 16 relevant until race 36....but who really cares? I love this system.
Spot on.

I agree. We get myopic with rules. Kind of like kindergarteners really. Let's look big picture. Harrison wins. Who does it affect? Bubba, Ross, and Buescher.....so, has Harrison had a better year than them? Nope, but all three of those guys should have won a race by now. So, the proposition is.....Would we rather subpar years be rewarded or a Hail Mary at the end of the regular season? Opinions may vary, but old school system people like to throw it out there like an injustice in the highest order has been inflicted upon hard working racers. This just isn't the case. The system keeps guys like Harrison who has not been successful in Cup relevant until the very last race of the regular season. IF the Playoff System has an issue--and I am not sure that this is an issue--it is in keeping those outside of the Top 16 relevant until race 36....but who really cares? I love this system.
Why in the hell are we getting drivers racing for 16th place crammed down our throats is the question. They aren't in any way relevant.

Why in the hell are we getting drivers racing for 16th place crammed down our throats is the question. They aren't in any way relevant.
Because we also celebrate the battle for 19th and 20th.

Back
Top Bottom