Cup RACE thread --- Kentucky

I really don't mean to disrespect Truex and obviously car and team will be a major factor in most racing series, but this is a guy who Juan Montoya wiped the floor with when they were teammates for a year. Clint Bowyer outperformed him over the two years they were teammates. I'm trying to think of who else he was paired with as teammates before but you can see my point. I hate to rain on the parade but it is honestly a little bothersome to see a guy's equipment help him outperform this much. I think, all things equal, MTJ would be a consistent playoff participant and occasional race winner but when he wipes the floor with the field likes this...holy cow.

Exactly.

I really don't mean to disrespect Truex and obviously car and team will be a major factor in most racing series, but this is a guy who Juan Montoya wiped the floor with when they were teammates for a year. Clint Bowyer outperformed him over the two years they were teammates. I'm trying to think of who else he was paired with as teammates before but you can see my point. I hate to rain on the parade but it is honestly a little bothersome to see a guy's equipment help him outperform this much. I think, all things equal, MTJ would be a consistent playoff participant and occasional race winner but when he wipes the floor with the field likes this...holy cow.

Well said.

Great race TRD domination! Freakin' love it! Love the posts about the horsepower and the car! Awesome night!

IDK what Barney has that Joe doesn't but the 18 looked like it was nailed to the ground on the final restart.

To be fair, 2014 was Gordon by a country mile.
Yeah, the 4 team was a dumpster fire the first third of that season.

Harvick and Gordon were pretty close in 2014, the #4 team just had some early teething issues with mechanical stuff. They were pretty quick but didn't bring the car home a few times. By the end of the season those two were almost identical in driver rating (110.5 and 110.2).

I'm still pissed Hamlin and Newman made that championship over Gordon and Keselowski. Gordon/Harvick/Logano/Kez would've been a legendary battle, in my opinion. And it would've happened if NASCAR had the sense to carry bonus points through every round earlier.

Harvick and Gordon were pretty close in 2014, the #4 team just had some early teething issues with mechanical stuff. They were pretty quick but didn't bring the car home a few times. By the end of the season those two were almost identical in driver rating (110.5 and 110.2).

I'm still pissed Hamlin and Newman made that championship over Gordon and Keselowski. Gordon/Harvick/Logano/Kez would've been a legendary battle, in my opinion. And it would've happened if NASCAR had the sense to carry bonus points through every round earlier.
Hell, Im still pissed about Gordon pitting on the final restart at Homestead for no damn reason.

Hell, Im still pissed about Johnson winning 4 in a row in 2007!

Hopefully Nascar and Bruton can figure out what needs to be done at KY as Nascar and the tracks can't afford stinkers like this given all that is going on around it.

I don't understand it. Two years ago this was the race where they tried the lower downforce package and it was one of the better races that year and I don't remember last years being that crappy

I don't understand it. Two years ago this was the race where they tried the lower downforce package and it was one of the better races that year and I don't remember last years being that crappy

When they tested that package two years ago, I thought, wow, 2005 is back. Same with Darlington, but they look like 2015. As I said, the sport changed since they brought in the electric fuel pump injectors instead of usinf the carborator, or whatever.

Is it impossible to simply bring back the pre-COT cars? Is that something out of the realm of possibility?

With those cars, 78 would be a top 10 team, and given the speed we see this season, the 4, 48, and maybe the 2 would be the cars to beat this season. I was watching an Atlanta race from 2007, they were down to 130 in the corners on old tires. THAT was NASCAR. Dirt track racing on pavement

When they tested that package two years ago, I thought, wow, 2005 is back. Same with Darlington, but they look like 2015. As I said, the sport changed since they brought in the electric fuel pump injectors instead of usinf the carborator, or whatever.

Is it impossible to simply bring back the pre-COT cars? Is that something out of the realm of possibility?

With those cars, 78 would be a top 10 team, and given the speed we see this season, the 4, 48, and maybe the 2 would be the cars to beat this season. I was watching an Atlanta race from 2007, they were down to 130 in the corners on old tires. THAT was NASCAR. Dirt track racing on pavement

I think Kentucky 2015 was the last race before the repave and also had the new lower down force package. Not a fan at all of the twisted sister era of Nascar. Those cars were more aero dependent than today's cars. I could say that the C.O.T. car ran all the fans away, makes about as much sense as the myriad of expert (cough) opinions as any. But this car is so much better than those two previous series IMO. I think they need to be raised up, skirts and splitter removed and some tighter specs on what goes on underneath in regards to down force and rear steer.

I think Kentucky 2015 was the last race before the repave and also had the new lower down force package. Not a fan at all of the twisted sister era of Nascar. Those cars were more aero dependent than today's cars. I could say that the C.O.T. car ran all the fans away, makes about as much sense as the myriad of expert (cough) opinions as any. But this car is so much better than those two previous series IMO. I think they need to be raised up, skirts and splitter removed and some tighter specs on what goes on underneath in regards to down force and rear steer.

I loved the pre COT cars, from 2005-2007. There was racing all over the track. Comers and goers, tire wear, cars bouncing around, etc. In fact, I was a knowledgeable casual fan from 1996-2003. It was the racing in 2004-2005 that made me die hard.

I agree about the splitter, still too much downforce. Raise em up, sure, also something with weight distribution needs to be done as well.

I still think a softer tire would benefit

This car is definitely better than the COT, and the 2014-2015 cars. 2015 was the worst year I have ever seen. But man, I'd kill to have the cars of 05-07 back

Yes .......... I guess they are !!!
Manipulation of the racing surface ( dragging tires, chemicals) is really pissing me off as well !!! you can't create good racing doing stuff like that IMO
I'm currently watching the tennis circuit but I'll be available to voice my opinion on the reasons this sport is taking a crap.

I'm currently watching the tennis circuit but I'll be available to voice my opinion on the reasons this sport is taking a crap.

I am watching the Tour De France for most of the month ..... 5 hours coverage of a mountain stage today.

Should've been a full course caution for 15 laps.

Today was a bad day .. several major contenders taken out on wet downhills .. speeds of 50 to 70 mph in some places !!! dudes are major badassses as well as being some of the greatest athletes on earth

Today was a bad day .. several major contenders taken out on wet downhills .. speeds of 50 to 70 mph in some places !!! dudes are major badassses as well as being some of the greatest athletes on earth
My girlfriend teaches spin classes. She obliterates me on uphills. True, these people are athletes.

Vickers and Stenhouse did too. Truex, again, is not the same Calibur driver as Kes, Kenseth, Harvick, nevermind Johnson, Stewart, etc. It is ALL horsepower with that team, and NASCAR in general. Believe what you want but he doesn't have THAT kind of talent.

Jr outran him on the same team

So your right saying Truex isn't as good as future hall of famers and all time greats!?! NO WAY!! Still a very good driver though, he got screwed out of countless wins driving the 56 and the 1

Yes .......... I guess they are !!!
Manipulation of the racing surface ( dragging tires, chemicals) is really pissing me off as well !!! you can't create good racing doing stuff like that IMO

Although I appreciate each race for what it is, I do agree here. Screwing with the track has never settled well with me. Open the box. Allow for differences in the cars. Problem solved. I am not talking Twisted Sister stuff. Give them some spoiler. Give them some splitter. Give them something to make one car different from another. That might make one faster than the other.

Watched the race over the weekend but I wasn't able to comment on here previously, during the race.
Anyway, this weekend at Kentucky showed all of the flaws in NASCAR. Everything from the car to the tires to the segments and beyond.
Clean air was king, the splitters through the grass destroyed cars, tire wear was non-existent, there was a competition caution in between segments, i.e. a 4th segment and it seemed like a lot of cars were destroying the right front suspension with minimal contact.
I also noticed while watching the 10 minutes of the F1 race that I saw, that the F1 cars are higher off the ground than the stock cars. I know the aero is different but when F1 is higher off the ground than a stock car, there might be a problem with NASCAR.

Although I appreciate each race for what it is, I do agree here. Screwing with the track has never settled well with me. Open the box. Allow for differences in the cars. Problem solved. I am not talking Twisted Sister stuff. Give them some spoiler. Give them some splitter. Give them something to make one car different from another. That might make one faster than the other.
give them some red tires, push to pass, some more wings and spoilers. It works so well in the other series. nothing but a money pit. :sarcasm:

give them some red tires, push to pass, some more wings and spoilers. It works so well in the other series. nothing but a money pit. :sarcasm:

No, I'm thinking more adjustability/tuning potential. You know, the good ole days--except they used a hammer not a switch. :D I really don't know what path NASCAR was pursuing when they went to in-****pit wedge adjustment. Kind of thought that maybe they were heading down the adjustability path, but nope. Why did they do that if they weren't going to pursue other means of making one car faster than another?

What difference has it made? Haven't heard one of them say..boy after I adjusted the in-****pit wedge she took off..all I have heard is it's as low as it can go and it isn't helping never it's better now. Surprised the gimmick counters haven't alighted on that aspect.

What difference has it made? Haven't heard one of them say..boy after I adjusted the in-****pit wedge she took off..all I have heard is it's as low as it can go and it isn't helping never it's better now. Surprised the gimmick counters haven't alighted on that aspect.

Yeah, I get that, but what was the point to begin with?

Back
Top Bottom