Cup RACE thread ---- Las Vegas

The 9 was probably too far back at the time for a 2 tire stop to be any help
I mean, it was under caution, but yeah. I understand taking 4, as Chase had fired off well last couple restarts and gained 3-4 spots each but would lose them back over long run. It didn't work, and he's seemingly stuck underperforming compared to the other HMS cars. The championship hangover is getting really old.

I really thought the 18 on fresh tires would eat the HMS cars up, but he didn't.

I mean, it was under caution, but yeah. I understand taking 4, as Chase had fired off well last couple restarts and gained 3-4 spots each but would lose them back over long run. It didn't work, and he's seemingly stuck underperforming compared to the other HMS cars. The championship hangover is getting really old.

I really thought the 18 on fresh tires would eat the HMS cars up, but he didn't.
I think almost everybody else thought that including KDB lol. I sure didn't think he was going to get mugged and actually lose spots.

I have a feeling you have the wrong idea about why they do that. I can't speak for NASCAR teams but in NHRA when we TP a drivers motorhome it is token of awesome job and we are happy for them. Teammates play jokes like that on each other all of the time. I will bet the farm that there was no malice what so ever intended. Poor Larson getting misunderstood again. :)
You understand sarcasm, right?

I'm well aware that this is congratulatory and playful. The opposite of a bad teammate.

I was being sarcastic, because one or two Chase fans have called for his head for being the worst teammate of all time

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I think the 9 car went conservative the last pit and made sure they had a good top 10 finish. That's not bad considering they never led a lap. They had an off day, but they still were able to get a 9th finish. I haven't been able to find anything from the 9 team about what problems they had going on.

Weren't we talking about the 9 being stout on the long run in the second stage? They're a higher functioning 12 team man. Chase was an 8th-12th place car on the short run, with legit race winning pace after about 30 laps.

Then, he became about a 6th place car on the short run, and fell off massively. What the hell happened? Can I blame that on Allen again?

I thought KB had it for sure. I don't think the field was strung out enough, and tbh, I think dirty air plays a bit of a role in restarts that neutralizes tire advantage.

Unless the 670 gets bumped back up to 850+, where the tires are basically over spinning on throttle, I don't think 4 tires is the way to go vs 2 if you're dealing with a 2 lap shoot out. Cars aren't powerful enough and the field is too tight for them to make any significant difference.

I think the 9 car went conservative the last pit and made sure they had a good top 10 finish. That's not bad considering they never led a lap. They had an off day, but they still were able to get a 9th finish. I haven't been able to find anything from the 9 team about what problems they had going on.
From what I could gather via radio, they took a chance and changed the setup after practice for race and just missed it. From the way Alan talked, the gamble they took couldn't easily be adjusted back out so they had a narrow box in which they could try to improve. I know I'm a broken record, but it just feels like they haven't been close to contending on an oval since 2020, but I know that is not true. (He had a winning car last week and fenced it while leading). I'm sure there's a couple more here and there you could point out to me, but it just feels hopeless as a 9 fan unless it's a road course. That makes watching your teammates flat whip the field even more frustrating.

From what I could gather via radio, they took a chance and changed the setup after practice for race and just missed it. From the way Alan talked, the gamble they took couldn't easily be adjusted back out so they had a narrow box in which they could try to improve. I know I'm a broken record, but it just feels like they haven't been close to contending on an oval since 2020, but I know that is not true. (He had a winning car last week and fenced it while leading). I'm sure there's a couple more here and there you could point out to me, but it just feels hopeless as a 9 fan unless it's a road course. That makes watching your teammates flat whip the field even more frustrating.
I had the same feeling of despair when Jimmie started his run in the mid 2000's and took over top dog at HMS from Jeff. That was a tough time seeing a guy in the same equipment beat the hell out of not only the field but JG it seemed most weeks. Chase will be fine, he has a chance to make the Championship 4 each year. I personally think Larson is better though and has the better team at HMS, but thats just my opinion.

I had the same feeling of despair when Jimmie started his run in the mid 2000's and took over top dog at HMS from Jeff. That was a tough time seeing a guy in the same equipment beat the hell out of not only the field but JG it seemed most weeks. Chase will be fine, he has a chance to make the Championship 4 each year. I personally think Larson is better though and has the better team at HMS, but thats just my opinion.
I begrudgingly agree. I used to argue otherwise, but, with what Larson did last year, I have ZERO legs to stand on. He took that equipment and ruled the sport with it while Chase frankly languished given his talent and team resources. It looks like it's repeating this year too.

Time to go start the "Has Chase Elliott Lost a Step?" thread...

I begrudgingly agree. I used to argue otherwise, but, with what Larson did last year, I have ZERO legs to stand on. He took that equipment and ruled the sport with it while Chase frankly languished given his talent and team resources. It looks like it's repeating this year too.

I think Chase is championship caliber, but not generational. I also think he's still young, immature, and emotional.

And I know we've said this, but I think he needs a CC shakeup.

I don't think you can underestimate the role personality has in a driver crew chief relationship. I think Alan is good, but I just don't think they fit. Chase is a smart frat bro. That's why I see him. He's a frat bro. I think he needs someone with a bit more confidence, spice and energy.

I know Dave Rogers was never at HMS and I don't know what the hell he's doing now, but he's the kind of crew chief I envision meshing with Chase.

Alan just sounds like he doesn't want to be there. I don't know about Chase, but I don't care how talented of a crew chief the guy is, that's the voice and the vibe I'm getting in my ear week after week, I'm probably going to underperform as well

Ah Chase hasnt lost a step. Listen with this points format all Chase has to do is win a roadie, then stay alive in the playoffs to Martinsville. Win that one and hes racing for a Cup. Easier said then done, but I dont think hes at all out of it. I cant fathom why I See so many Chase fans with the "Woe is me attitude" he's seriously one of the 4-6 drivers that has a chance to race for a championship every year. I'd be over the moon with that.

Ah Chase hasnt lost a step. Listen with this points format all Chase has to do is win a roadie, then stay alive in the playoffs to Martinsville. Win that one and hes racing for a Cup. Easier said then done, but I dont think hes at all out of it. I cant fathom why I See so many Chase fans with the "Woe is me attitude" he's seriously one of the 4-6 drivers that has a chance to race for a championship every year. I'd be over the moon with that.
3 races into a season and some have written people off. There WILL be more Power Steering failures, transaxle failures, and who knows what else. I'd bet most of the top teams will have at least ONE unexpected DNF.

Plus with the Chase...doesn't matter. Win the last race, you're Champion!

You're being a voice of reason. As a fan (and therefore emotionally invested and irrational), I lose more and more hope with each Larson ass whipping. When guys like Bowman and Byron are getting wins, that's just twisting the knife. Like I said, irrational and emotional on my part, but when there are highs it's so worth it and fun.

You're being a voice of reason. As a fan (and therefore emotionally invested and irrational), I lose more and more hope with each Larson ass whipping. When guys like Bowman and Byron are getting wins, that's just twisting the knife. Like I said, irrational and emotional on my part, but when there are highs it's so worth it and fun.
Byron isnt getting wins as much as the other 3 at HMS. Chase will be fine, you all sound like him after a post race interview...... melancholy and down on their luck. I really think it's to early to write anyone off.

Byron isnt getting wins as much as the other 3 at HMS. Chase will be fine, you all sound like him after a post race interview...... melancholy and down on their luck. I really think it's to early to write anyone off.
Hope you're right. Cheers

I wouldn't give up on him just yet. It is still early in the game, and I think he is just as strong a player as anyone when things go right. I will say that I wonder if the fact that Larson dominated so much since he joined the team and the 48 is running pretty good again that maybe a little of the pressure to perform has caused him to over drive the car just a little. I'm sure he is feeling some pressure and it kind of shows from some of his radio chatter.

Yeah for sure. It's a long time from getting the crying towels out. Elliott is in 7th place, 25 points out of the lead which could be solved with one good race. They didn't lose their 7th place position in the points, they held their spot with a less than car and salvaged what they could. They are 2nd out of the other Hendrick cars.

Yeah for sure. It's a long time from getting the crying towels out. Elliott is in 7th place, 25 points out of the lead which could be solved with one good race. They didn't lose their 7th place position in the points, they held their spot with a less than car and salvaged what they could. They are 2nd out of the other Hendrick cars.
Again, don't go bringing logic and reason in to my pity party.

I would bet Chad had a part in the Hendrick cars taking two tires
On the radio, Larson and Daniels were talking earlier in the race about how some of the cars that had just taken 2 we're able to stay up front for a while and not get immediately shuffled back. Cliff said that might be an option under the right conditions, so I was surprised they went with 2 on that last pit stop. Chad and/or the other CC may also have noticed that or Daniels may passed that along.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

That's weird, I hope they get a handle on it

I'm sure this is not unfamiliar to you since you have driven long distance. I have always kept the air out of my air ride seat so it would stay on the floor because my legs would burn and get numb if the seat put pressure on them for a long length of time.

I'm sure this is not unfamiliar to you since you have driven long distance. I have always kept the air out of my air ride seat so it would stay on the floor because my legs would burn and get numb if the seat put pressure on them for a long length of time.
I didn't have that problem for some reason. I was all over the place with my seat and wheel adjustments lol. I figure they are sitting him on the floor, but the pedals on the new car I think hang from above instead of coming out of the floor and he is pretty short legged. Maybe extend his seat bottom forward for more support on his thighs? :idunno:

I think Chase is championship caliber, but not generational. I also think he's still young, immature, and emotional.

And I know we've said this, but I think he needs a CC shakeup.

I don't think you can underestimate the role personality has in a driver crew chief relationship. I think Alan is good, but I just don't think they fit. Chase is a smart frat bro. That's why I see him. He's a frat bro. I think he needs someone with a bit more confidence, spice and energy.

I know Dave Rogers was never at HMS and I don't know what the hell he's doing now, but he's the kind of crew chief I envision meshing with Chase.

Alan just sounds like he doesn't want to be there. I don't know about Chase, but I don't care how talented of a crew chief the guy is, that's the voice and the vibe I'm getting in my ear week after week, I'm probably going to underperform as well

Tony Gibson would be an awesome crew chief for Chase

Reactions: Pat
I didn't have that problem for some reason. I was all over the place with my seat and wheel adjustments lol. I figure they are sitting him on the floor, but the pedals on the new car I think hang from above instead of coming out of the floor and he is pretty short legged. Maybe extend his seat bottom forward for more support on his thighs? :idunno:
All previous Cup cars had hanging pedals. New car has floor mounted Volkswagen Beetle pedals. The thing I DON"T like about this new car is they changed EVERYTHING. Was there no way to have hanging pedals? Same switch locations? I mentioned air jacks on a Tweet by Bozi and he blanched at the idea. Said he didn't want to mess with the pit stop purity.

Only thing NASCAR Cup cars now have in common with previous 50+ years versions is, still a pushrod V-8. They changed every-damn-thing-else at same time. They had been creeping up on the technology level last 10 years or so. Cable drive fuel pump, fuel injection, etc.

Please don't take this as I HATE EVERYTHING. Just think it was too much all at once. Why not take the previous Gen and cut the clips off and make them bolt-on? Why the need to change everything & end up with a car that's STILL heavily aero dependent? I DON"T like the independent rear suspension. That's great for the guys playing golf driving a BMW. Not for racing on high banks.

AP Racing Next Gen pedal assembly ...

1646703754297.png

Okay, two stupid questions.
  1. Does this entire assembly mount on the floor inside the car, or does it mount under the car with the pedals coming up through the floor?
  2. How will this look at the first road course race when Fox trots out the 'foot cam'?

With all the new technology being used when are they going to install a button for pit road speed? So many other racing series use this and it works well. I suppose some might like the variable it provides when a driver screws up but I get tired of hearing "X" driver has to be penalized.

1. Does this entire assembly mount on the floor inside the car, or does it mount under the car with the pedals coming up through the floor?
  2. How will this look at the first road course race when Fox trots out the 'foot cam'?
Digging around and finding out more than I ever care to know about foot pedals including Nascar's, I doubt if most of us R-Fers will be able to tell the difference. Of course we will have our super R-F experts that will be able to analyze the materials used and to what purpose and precise angle the foot cam will be utilized when it is time for the road races. Oh and BTW Young Reddick's problem has to do with the seat, and the symptoms seem to get worse the farther back in the pack he runs or when he spins in the grass.

I'll find a picture but it bolts on the floor. No affect on camera work. The ****pit has changed shape some. I think they've laid the seat back a bit? Good chance that's where the issue is. But IndyCar drivers have been laying down forever. So....IDK?

Better yet, does (name CC) need a couple yrs to learn this car?
Not only does this apply the Chase but Harvick as well. Or do the drivers need more time to learn to drive them?

Back
Top Bottom