Cup RACE thread --- Martinsville, Rd. 2

WTF was the 78 thinking clearing the 22 before that last corner? He HAD to know it was coming. Joey is no Mark Martin, very few out there are these days. I'm sure it's much harder than I think to keep the 22 on the outside but if Joey was on the outside there really wasn't anything he could do that would be regarded as clean if he hit the 78.

The only one MTJ should be upset with is himself. He whines every time someone races him hard. He and his spotter are a couple of entitled pricks.

WTF was the 78 thinking clearing the 22 before that last corner? He HAD to know it was coming. Joey is no Mark Martin, very few out there are these days. I'm sure it's much harder than I think to keep the 22 on the outside but if Joey was on the outside there really wasn't anything he could do that would be regarded as clean if he hit the 78.

Judging some comments here, Joey was supposed to let Martin go and win the race.:idunno:

Jimmie Johnson has leaned on Jeff Gordon to win. Jeff Gordon has leaned on Kyle Busch to win. Dale Earnhardt has leaned Darrell Waltrip to win. Rusty Wallace and Ricky Rudd leaned all over each other for years.

You get the idea. The sport’s best have all used another car as a leaning post to win. This is not new and its simply apart of NASCAR. You dont have to like it, but you have to understand it.

NASCAR needs more of this.

Last year many on here thought that Chase Elliott was too much of a wuss to even things up with Hamlin. As Gomer would say
upload_2018-10-29_11-40-59.jpeg

What was stopping the 22 from burping it and letting Truex by?
Your actions tell a different story. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
How about Joey wanting it more than the 78's driver? Get ya some of that! I'm not even a 22 fan and I could see that.
^^ lol. He thinks he's getting to me. "get you some of that"?
Judging some comments here, Joey was supposed to let Martin go and win the race.:idunno:
I didnt say that.
The only one MTJ should be upset with is himself. He whines every time someone races him hard. He and his spotter are a couple of entitled pricks.
He's a prick now? He's had 2 races taken from him in the playoffs, yeah Id be pissed too.

Don't you guys know, he was suppose to pull over and let him go. It's not a race, it's a popularity contest. Geez, you would think there would be speeding penalties during a race......whoops.

Well regardless you have to feel bad for MTJ because he did race him cleanly. I’m not saying Joey shouldn’t have went for it, but you have to respect guys like that who try to get the win without ruining another guys day.

Have to credit Joey with how he used that bumper though, so much of stock car racing isn’t just going fast, it’s being able to make great passes and use that bumper. That was championship-esque by him

Nobody is entitled to a win.
Who said entitled? He was leading both with the fastest car and got taken out within sight of the flag. Thats just fact, not entitlement. Anyone who cant see that isnt being honest with themselves.

Who said entitled? He was leading both with the fastest car and got taken out within sight of the flag. Thats just fact, not entitlement. Anyone who cant see that isnt being honest with themselves.
Checkers or wreckers. Wins are earned and Joey was hungrier for a trip to Homestead. Not the first time we have seen the bump and run. Wont be the last. Especially at this track.

FWIW, the rhetoric that MTJ got “taken out” is plain hyperbole. He got moved, aggressively. Neither driver wrecked. Rubbins racin.

Checkers or wreckers. Wins are earned and Joey was hungrier for a trip to Homestead. Not the first time we have seen the bump and run. Wont be the last. Especially at this track.
Everything you just said reaffirms my statement. I'd change Hungry for desperate though.

Everything you just said reaffirms my statement. I'd change Hungry for desperate though.
Joey scored the most points in the chase in 2014 and lost. He got taken out of the championship hunt in 2015 by an irrational Matt Kenseth. As well as 2016 by a huge desperation move from Carl Edwards.

The championship window is closing and Joey saw daylight. Desperate is the right move.

I watched the last 6 laps on replay again. Logano beat him back to the line on the outside 4 out of the last 5 before the white flag. It's a tough spot for Truex, if he dogs it on purpose to stay side by side with him, he runs the risk of getting beat back to the line with the outside momentum by Logano. I suppose Truex could have risked it and attempted to measure it out, but he opted to get in front and hope to hold on.

I didn't notice before, but Truex put the bumper on him square with 3 to go, to get back under him. Racing how it should be.

I can't fault either guy with what they did or how they did it.

#78 spotter when Joey laid the chrome horn: “turn left on that son of a bitch”

So we have Truex turning hard left into Joey instead of racing back to the line. Maybe, just maybe, Truex doesnt nearly lose control if he’s focused on being the fastest instead of dooring the #22.

#78 spotter when Joey laid the chrome horn: “turn left on that son of a bitch”

So we have Truex turning hard left into Joey instead of racing back to the line. Maybe, just maybe, Truex doesnt nearly lose control if he’s focused on being the fastest instead of dooring the #22.

Ah, I see now. I originally thought Truex's mistake was getting high in turn 3 and leaving a hole for Joey to get in. It was really pulling ahead off turn 2 and clearing the #22, instead of keeping Joey to his outside for the rest of the lap.

Turning left across Joey's nose almost worked; he nearly pushed the #78 across the line sideways. Probably not 'clean' in some people's books but smart racing in mine.

Preach it, and tell it like it is. Wooo, get ya some of that!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I watched the last 6 laps on replay again. Logano beat him back to the line on the outside 4 out of the last 5 before the white flag. It's a tough spot for Truex, if he dogs it on purpose to stay side by side with him, he runs the risk of getting beat back to the line with the outside momentum by Logano. I suppose Truex could have risked it and attempted to measure it out, but he opted to get in front and hope to hold on.

I didn't notice before, but Truex put the bumper on him square with 3 to go, to get back under him. Racing how it should be.

I can't fault either guy with what they did or how they did it.
Yeah it’s a lot to ask of either driver to slow down and strategically keep another car positioned so they can’t bump and run or slow down when on outside to position yourself. Way easier call after the fact by me typing on a computer. Each guy did what he was supposed to do and it worked out for the 22.

So if taking a win with the bumper is OK where does retaliation come in. If the 78 doesn't make it to the top 4 is it OK to mess with the 22 at Homestead?

Back
Top Bottom