Cup RACE thread --- Martinsville, Rd. 2

I agree with this, except for the last sentence. Jimmie's wreck was completely unintentional.

No, it wasn't intentional, but Jimmie clearly dive bombed him and lost control of his car and it cost Truex a win. All I'm saying is if you want to make moves like that, you have to be prepared for the consequences. Truex had EVERY right in that situation to be upset with Jimmie. Today, not so much.

Literally had a mic shoved in his face 10 seconds after getting out of the car. Adrenaline pumping. Just got moved for the win.

You’re right. He should be all warm and fuzzies. Come on man.
Thats a bit overeactionary. I dont think he should be happy.

But as a grown man, and a champion/ambassador of the sport, I'd imagine a bit of self awareness, emotional intelligence, and impulse control.

Truex, like most functioning humans have to act and respond in situations which may warrent variability in emotions. Like most people in certain situations, certain behavior and emotions may not be considered acceptable, given context and the individual; congruence should be at the least, a little expected.

Truex doesn't get a pass on this. He needs to be better. He comes off spoiled

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It seems to me that the win by Logano means there is only one slot open in the final four now, and Truex probably has claim to that. It was probably true anyway, I think now it's a MUST win situation for Elliott the next two weeks, and I don't love the odds for either one, especially after the mediocre car they brought to Martinsville. It would have made me barf, but it would have been far better for Chase is Hamlin had won.

God knows I'm no fan of Joey Logano, but I had ZERO issue with what he did. It was coming to the flag, and Martin didn't wreck, so it's all good as far as I'm concerned, even though it just might have been the final nail in Chase's season. I have to admit I was SUPER impressed with Joey today. I didn't think he would even be able to hold off the 2, let alone the 78, but he did. Truex had every right to be pissed about what Johnson did to him at Charlotte, but he was off base today.

This. I should be mad as heck because it killed Chase's chances at the Championship 4. It was a bump and run. Period. It wasn't an egregious "I'm sending this guy" like Denny pulled last year. Joey "moved" him. MTJ could have potentially raced him back to the line but, to my untrained eye, appeared to gas it hard to turn down into the 22 and just didn't pull it off. That threw him sideways and lost enough momentum that it was over. That move was quintessential Martinsville. As for the whole "Truex raced him clean for 20 laps and never touched him!" bit, um... rewatch. He leaned on Joey quite a bit and tore up the right front fender doing so. The emotion here is just because a guy basically nobody likes won.

Yeah well Roger, your guy should know better then to piss off another Championship contender

Nobody would watch this s*** if years and years ago people just ran around in 2nd so don't act like you don't like it.

Remember those fairy tales of the 3 and 24 using the bump and run?

This. I should be mad as heck because it killed Chase's chances at the Championship 4. It was a bump and run. Period. It wasn't an egregious "I'm sending this guy" like Denny pulled last year. Joey "moved" him. MTJ could have potentially raced him back to the line but, to my untrained eye, appeared to gas it hard to turn down into the 22 and just didn't pull it off. That threw him sideways and lost enough momentum that it was over. That move was quintessential Martinsville. As for the whole "Truex raced him clean for 20 laps and never touched him!" bit, um... rewatch. He leaned on Joey quite a bit and tore up the right front fender doing so. The emotion here is just because a guy basically nobody likes won.
I agree with this 100%. The 9’s season comes down to this week, they have to win Texas because I think ol Harv will have something for them come Phoenix. However that’s easier said than done, the 78 will be in domination mode next weekend they’ve done well at Texas in the past. I personally don’t have a problem with what Joey did, the points system calls for moves like that. He almost had to do it as you don’t know what type of shot they would have come Phoenix and Texas. I thought it wasn’t dirty, not as dirty as the 11 dumping the 24 last year. Joey just moved Martin out of the groove a bit

This covers it.

Hey Lee, this aint Late Model Stocks.
Nobody would watch this s*** if years and years ago people just ran around in 2nd so don't act like you don't like it.

I've been watching and doing it for over 40 years and it didnt then and doesnt now take skill or talent to move someone for a win. None.

Jeff did that move all the time! He’d move guys out of the groove, wouldn’t wreck em just move em. Rusty was on the receiving end of that Bristol Night Race 02. However the 3....that was a diffferent story, if social media was around during the Wrangler/Top Gun/Intimidator days ( lets say 85-91) he would have given those folks a stroke judging by how up in arms Twitter and Facebook were over Joey’s move yesterday.

I've been watching and doing it for over 40 years and it didnt then and doesnt now take skill or talent to move someone for a win. None.

That's why I watch sprint car racing more so these days. More organic form of actual racing.

Truex may have learned an important lesson yesterday or at least I hope he has. I guess only time will tell if he's learned how to seal the deal when push comes to shove. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big supporter of Truex and wanted to see him win. Joey wanted it more, plain and simple. Good stuff with a finish we won't soon forget. Eff Bristol, it's Martinsville Baby!

Reactions: Pat
Truex raced him clean, and there is honor in that. But no trophy.

You have to take what is yours and not rely on others to be "clean" and "respectful" with so much at stake. MTJ will have more opportunities this year to do so.

The "bump and run" has been in this sport for decades. Notice I said "Bump and Run" not "Bump and Dump" which the dump is not cool.

The "Bump & Run" happened all day, drivers were moving people for 3+ hours but when its for the lead people can't handle it. Come on, the finish was exciting.

I'm not a Lagano fan but everyone knew including Truex that it was coming. He should have stayed behind him and did the same thing on the last lap then.

Nacar.com on YouTube released small clips of the last few laps and in the comments section, people are dogging on Truex mostly for whining.

Here are a few, see the comments.

I would contend that it takes LOTS of talent to move a guy over and pass him without wrecking him. Jeff Gordon used to make it look like a work of art. It certainly takes more talent to do what Logano did than that out of control dive bomb move Johnson made at Charlotte that you seem to love so much. And you're right, it's not late model racing. Logano and Truex aren't back in their garage in the back yard today pounding the dents out their only race car.

Jr said he told Truex he raced too clean. Truex could have moved him many times in those last laps but he didn't. I hope he doesn't make that mistake again. FTR, I don't care for jolo, he ran dirty when he raced on the Ct tracks,
But the only lap that counts is the last lap. We don't know what Truex would have done if he were in Joey's position on the last lap.

IMO, Joey did not wreck Truex. It was a classic bump and run. They were both fish tailing it to the line.

I would contend that it takes LOTS of talent to move a guy over and pass him without wrecking him. Jeff Gordon used to make it look like a work of art. It certainly takes more talent to do what Logano did than that out of control dive bomb move Johnson made at Charlotte that you seem to love so much. And you're right, it's not late model racing. Logano and Truex aren't back in their garage in the back yard today pounding the dents out their only race car.
Pulliam has a fleet of cars so dont gimme that poor boy racing stuff. No, it doesnt take skill to move a guy, it takes skill to pass him without touching him.

Locking up the rear brakes isnt dive bombing. Racing 101

:rolleyes:

You said it takes skill, what makes it any different from doing it at the lower level of the stock car ladder?
Never said the late model drivers didnt have skill, many of them are better then some of the Cup guys but the situation and complexity grows with every level.

Back
Top Bottom