Cup RACE thread --- Martinsville, Rd. 2

He almost won it? If they both slowed trying to get where they wanted in relation, he most certainly would have gotten inside the 22.
Not down the back stretch which is why the 22 had time to drop back behind the 78.

Not down the back stretch which is why the 22 had time to drop back behind the 78.
In the turn or even going into the turn he could have, and that’s the last thing Joey would have wanted. On the outside of both the 78 and the 11.

In the turn or even going into the turn he could have, and that’s the last thing Joey would have wanted. On the outside of both the 78 and the 11.
78 INSIDE 22 OUTSIDE , 22 Rolls out because he doesnt want on be on the 78's outside. Its what happened and the 11 wasnt a factor until they got into each other coming to the flag.

78 INSIDE 22 OUTSIDE , 22 Rolls out because he doesnt want on be on the 78's outside. Its what happened and the 11 wasnt a factor until they got into each other coming to the flag.
No ****. I said one thing 78 could have done was slow down on back stretch to keep the 22 on the outside. You said the 22 would burp it more to get behind the 78 to make his magnificent move, and I said with them both slowing it may have allowed the 11 into the fray.

the 11 was pretty close, 18 wasn't far back either. It was the only move Logano had to win the race. Truex wasn't fast enough to get away from the bump and run

Great debate -- love it.
IMHO: If either Dale Earnhardt were in the 22 Sunday work on a 20' high bronze Earnhardt
sculpture for the entrance to Mville would have started Monday + every city hall would receive a petition to change a street name to Earnhardt.
On to Texas

No sh!t. I said one thing 78 could have done was slow down on back stretch to keep the 22 on the outside. You said the 22 would burp it more to get behind the 78 to make his magnificent move, and I said with them both slowing it may have allowed the 11 into the fray.
lol

Great debate -- love it.
IMHO: If either Dale Earnhardt were in the 22 Sunday work on a 20' high bronze Earnhardt
sculpture for the entrance to Mville would have started Monday + every city hall would receive a petition to change a street name to Earnhardt.
On to Texas
That’s not necessarily true, Earnhardt wasn’t well liked in the 80’s and early 90’s. For as many fans as he had, he had just as many that hated him. He had a reputation in that time frame as a dirty driver. He really didn’t start to get Universally liked until the 24 started winning in the mid 90’s. Then the NASCAR faithful had someone else to jeer.

Media is practically challenging MTJ to retaliate. Well, NBC commentators. Saying it’s not in his DNA to go after Joey and he has a different “code” than anyone else. Kinda flattering but also sounds like he is too soft and “good” to race that way. I admired Mark M for driving like that but I almost feel MTJ has to do something now.

That’s not necessarily true, Earnhardt wasn’t well liked in the 80’s and early 90’s. For as many fans as he had, he had just as many that hated him. He had a reputation in that time frame as a dirty driver. He really didn’t start to get Universally liked until the 24 started winning in the mid 90’s. Then the NASCAR faithful had someone else to jeer.
Popular historical revisionism for NASCAR fans is that Dale was universally loved and was a complete bulldozer at every race.

Meanwhile the truth is that the fanbase was split almost 50/50 and Dale was just as much a finesse and technical driver as he was an aggressive one.

The Media wants us to buy the Truex is a nice guy, when almost on every Radioactive clip he is the star.

The Media wants us to buy the Truex is a nice guy, when almost on every Radioactive clip he is the star.
Star? Or Diva? He’s usually a player so I’d see why they include him but it’s usually he or his spotter or Pearn whining about other drivers.

You can be a nice guy and cuss people out. Hell I worked with a bunch of great drivers who were super nice but man once that helmet was on, cover juniors ears. BTW, guess who was the calmest.

Yep.

I remember the Bristol night race in 1995 when Dale spun Rusty early in the race. Dale got black flagged and half the crowd cheered wildly when he had to pull into the pits and was penalized a lap.

Kurt Busch Quote: “Dale Earnhardt told me it doesn't matter if fans boo or cheer, as long as they're making noise.”

Sure it was Kurt? Thought it was Jeff. I think the only thing Kurt got from DE was the finger as they only raced together once. The day DE died.

The thing that was different about Earnhardt was that with most drivers, 10% love them 10% hate them, and 80% don't care. With Dale, it was about 65% LOVED him, 25% HATED him, and 10% were in the middle. I clearly remember a time when if you saw 10 people with NASCAR gear on, anywhere from 6-8 of them would being wearing Earnhardt gear. Jeff Gordon was the ONLY other driver I saw get into the same zip code with Dale on that.

The thing that was different about Earnhardt was that with most drivers, 10% love them 10% hate them, and 80% don't care. With Dale, it was about 65% LOVED him, 25% HATED him, and 10% were in the middle. I clearly remember a time when if you saw 10 people with NASCAR gear on, anywhere from 6-8 of them would being wearing Earnhardt gear. Jeff Gordon was the ONLY other driver I saw get into the same zip code with Dale on that.
Jr had alot of people wearing his Budweiser gear. I saw that alot out in the bars in my early to late 20's which would be 2005-10ish. ( when I used to go out. )

When Texas first opened in 1997 --- it was pretty much split evenly between Earnhardt and Gordon. Here and there you saw others,
mostly either Bobby or Terry Labonte, mixed with some Dale Jarrett.

Back
Top Bottom