Got pardoned because of leukemia.
Cured himself of leukemia.
Ran multiple race teams.
What a guy.
No bitterness around here I see

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Chase has been placed 39th due to having four loose lug nuts:

Even worse:

I was told that Elliott fans were crazy for bashing the pit crew and they have a victim complex.

FIVE loose lug nuts.

Thanks Chex. Talked to some of the people I met up with there about an hour ago, they weren’t even out of the speedway parking lot yet.
First full capacity race since Daytona 2020. Lotta logistics. Sounds like they totally dropped the ball with transportation flow. Not sure if you’re aware but they delayed the start due to traffic woes.

First full capacity race since Daytona 2020. Lotta logistics. Sounds like they totally dropped the ball with transportation flow. Not sure if you’re aware but they delayed the start due to traffic woes.
Yeah I heard later on, but at the time we were all wondering what was taking so long to get going.

Woulda kept the stage points if the team didn’t miss 5 fuggin lugs lol. He put a good twist on it though.

FWIW, they lost track position on a stop that failed to tighten 5 lugs.

tenor.gif

Exactly. What a stupid ****** illogical horse **** penalty. Makes ZERO sense to strip them of the stage points.
Yeah idk, I would've been totally fine just stripping them of their 3rd-stage points and giving him a 39th place finish. Eliminating the work they did prior to that point in the race is weird but it's whatever.

I guess you have to draw the line somewhere about the lug nuts but this one is tough for me. Take the stage points?

I guess its hard to enforce but to me its hard to make sense of giving out penalties for just lug nut violations at the end of the race. Sounds like a lot of teams aren't even attempting to put 5 on during most stops.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I mean it sucks and is what it is, but it’s the rules. Sucks for Chase as he isn’t the pit crew, and DQ means DQ. Thankfully he has a win, and hopefully losing the Stage points he had won, won’t hurt to much in the long run. On to the next one.

Exactly. What a stupid ****** illogical horse **** penalty. Makes ZERO sense to strip them of the stage points.
Maybe not, but if the team tightens all the lug nuts then they keep all of their points. 🤷‍♂️ At the end of the day it’s the team’s fault. The penalty existed before the infraction.

I can understand a tire changer missing 1 or 2 nuts but I'm having a hard time with 5. They probably have video of the stop and they will take it back to the shop and look at it to see if the crew member actually hit all of the nuts or not. They will also check the air gun to see if it may have malfunctioned and didn't tighten them to the proper torque spec.

Kind of a bull**** penalty, but it is what it is. Rules are rules. Sucks to lose the stage points, especially the stage win. But hardly a season breaker.

Onto next week. Hopefully the 9 crew gets their act together.

Next year they will only have to tighten 1 lug nut. Hasn't this rule and penalty been in the rulebook for a long time? Why is it just now being criticized?
I think most people's issue with it is why are they losing the points that they earned during the period of the race where the car was considered "legal".

The worst part about all of this isn't even the points though, it's gonna be having to start at the rear for Pocono 1 and having a bad pit selection when your two teammates are gonna be on the front row.

I think most people's issue with it is why are they losing the points that they earned during the period of the race where the car was considered "legal".

The worst part about all of this isn't even the points though, it's gonna be having to start at the rear for Pocono 1 and having a bad pit selection when your two teammates are gonna be on the front row.
I think what a lot of fans don't realize is the reason the penalty is so severe is because it is a very serious safety infraction. The last thing NASCAR wants to see is a tire and wheel entering the spectator area and killing someone like a tire did in phoenix during an NHRA event in 2010....and that wasn't even due to a crewmembers mistake, it was from a bad hub design at the time. That was a very sad day for all of us in the racing world. Here is a video of that run. It doesn't show anything to graphic.
Antron Brown Firebird Raceway Phoenix 2010.mpg - YouTube

Yeah idk, I would've been totally fine just stripping them of their 3rd-stage points and giving him a 39th place finish. Eliminating the work they did prior to that point in the race is weird but it's whatever.
Pretty crazy that this puts him behind Quin Houff, whose wheel actually came off on Lap 1.

Pretty crazy that this puts him behind Quin Houff, whose wheel actually came off on Lap 1.
Houff said on the radio "hit the fence, knocked the right front tire off of it". I know it is hard to believe they couldn't make one lap.

Hate to see that for the 48 but the rule is three loose lugnuts is a DQ. Elliott's bunch had 5. DQ's mean exactly that, no nothing. Can you imagine? full house and that tire going up in the stands at 180?

It was pretty bad getting into the general parking area probably 20 minute jam to go 7 tenths if a mile from the exit off 840 to our parking spot. We expected that and got there early. There's traffic from 3 directions turning onto the road that goes to the parking area. I dunno how they could do it but it seems like they ought to shut down completely coming from that backroad and US 231 into the track and only allow traffic from 840 to get in there. It's so close to 840 there really has to be some way to make the flow smoother and quicker.

Houff said on the radio "hit the fence, knocked the right front tire off of it". I know it is hard to believe they couldn't make one lap.

Hate to see that for the 48 but the rule is three loose lugnuts is a DQ. Elliott's bunch had 5. DQ's mean exactly that, no nothing. Can you imagine? full house and that tire going up in the stands at 180?
Here is another video when both tires came off of Daniel Wilkerson's car in 2009 in Memphis. Thank god no one was injured or killed in that accident. They have designed a different hub and different studs now so the load is on the hub instead of the studs.

-----
-----
Here is another video of the same crash.

Daniel Wilkerson Bad Crash Ron Capps Memphis 2009 Part 2. - YouTube

I'm not arguing the penalty, it is what it is, but the rule (as far as safety is concerned) is really much ado about nothing. In 99.5% of the cases, the car becomes basically undrivable LONG before the wheel comes off. The 9 proved that yesterday, going a whole fuel run on five loose lugnuts. There is a 100 times greater chance that a wheel torn off a car in an accident will end up in the stands, and even then, it usually requires another car to hit it to launch it over the fence. I will also point out again that single lug wheels will do NOTHING to solve this issue, and it is likely the problem will be worse as far as the consequences of wheels left loose. Unlike the five lug setup, they tend to leave the car with NO warning at all.

I don't think they switched to a single lug wheel for safety reasons, but for cost savings. It could come back to bite them if the wheels start flying.

With the new single nut wheel coming next year, does anyone know if the thread will be the same both sides or go opposite like chrysler did years ago to keep wheels from getting loose

With the new single nut wheel coming next year, does anyone know if the thread will be the same both sides or go opposite like chrysler did years ago to keep wheels from getting loose
Right hand thread on the left hand side.

Left hand thread on the right.

I thought they implemented the lug nut rule because of Tony Stewart whining about it several years ago. They self police themselves to the point a wheel would never come off.

I'm not arguing the penalty, it is what it is, but the rule (as far as safety is concerned) is really much ado about nothing. In 99.5% of the cases, the car becomes basically undrivable LONG before the wheel comes off. The 9 proved that yesterday, going a whole fuel run on five loose lugnuts. There is a 100 times greater chance that a wheel torn off a car in an accident will end up in the stands, and even then, it usually requires another car to hit it to launch it over the fence. I will also point out again that single lug wheels will do NOTHING to solve this issue, and it is likely the problem will be worse as far as the consequences of wheels left loose. Unlike the five lug setup, they tend to leave the car with NO warning at all.
I used drag racing cars as an example because that is what I know more about and I saw those accidents up close and personal. That being said, I agree with you about it would probably be hard to handle a car with a wheel about to come off of a stock car. With the way that the fences are designed I also think another car would probably have to hit the wheel for it to fly into the stands. But I'm a little surprised that you are not that concerned that it could bounce over the pit wall and hit crew members or anyone else on the inside of the track where the fences are not that high like it did when it killed the lady in phoenix. If the stiff penalty is not for safety then what do you think is the reason NASCAR has made it so stiff? Not trying to start a debate or argue I'm just curious and I respect your opinion because you have so much knowledge around stock cars and NASCAR..

Last edited:
I just had a startling thought as I took a quick break to enjoy my lunch here at work. Is NBC still emphasizing "Home Track" and if so was it a consensus that Track House Racing was racing at it's home track? Was it mentioned during the broadcast? I started tuning NBC out when they tried comparing Nashville to Vegas. Anyone that has been to both wouldnt even entertain that thought and realize how laughable that is.

I just had a startling thought as I took a quick break to enjoy my lunch here at work. Is NBC still emphasizing "Home Track" and if so was it a consensus that Track House Racing was racing at it's home track? Was it mentioned during the broadcast? I started tuning NBC out when they tried comparing Nashville to Vegas. Anyone that has been to both wouldnt even entertain that thought and realize how laughable that is.

Tbh I compare Nashville most to Vegas. Quite possibly the #2 “party” spot in America. Place is insane, Broadway and the Strip have very similar vibes. Nashville just does it southern style

Back
Top Bottom