Cup RACE thread --- Talladega

As long as they have bread, wine, and blood on the ground the idiot crowd will cheer. Long live Talladega.
I mean let's not fool ourselves. 90% of the folks at these races come to see cars get torn up. That's also why Daytona and Talladega constantly have the most viewers.

We actually had caution free plate racing at one point. You would never see that today.

We had big ones in the past but it was at least possible to have a clean race.
I've watched some plate races from the past and they weren't constantly in a 30+ car pack until they banned tandem drafting.
2000s plate races raced more like modern day Indy racing.

When contact happens in front of the field everyone except the backmarkers who can't keep up with the pack are purely passengers who can't avoid the wreck unless they're lucky.

“These f***ers aren’t going to push me any more!” -Chase. He’s really even clowning the s*** show on the backstretch since the wreck. Clown college
I love how he was fully on the apron and they took him on an adventure thru the grass for 1/4 mile

I've watched some plate races from the past and they weren't constantly in a 30+ car pack until they banned tandem drafting.

When contact happens in front of the field everyone except the backmarkers who can't keep up with the pack are purely passengers who can't avoid the wreck unless they're lucky.
Handling mattered back then. The cars didn’t have billboards for spoilers like they do now on the plate tracks. I remember a Busch race where Dale Jr drove away by himself at Daytona because he had a good handling car.

And yet the field has been driving around lap-down cars on the bottom lane all day. Why should Gilliland have done differently?

Recognize the circumstances and adjust accordingly. It’s the end of the race and everyone is racing more aggressively. A professional race car driver should know that.

I think we need to break up the mega packs. Old Daytona was great because the bumps in the track helped to separate the pack.

Back
Top Bottom