Cup RACE thread --- Texas

I posted Houff’s racing career stats. If you owned a Cup team would you hire him?
Depends on how much money he brings. Someone keeps stroking those checks to fix/replace the cars.

NASCAR should have a certain level of prerequisites to gain entry but the idea of demoting based on incidents would ruin the sport.

Depends on how much money he brings. Someone keeps stroking those checks to fix/replace the cars.

NASCAR should have a certain level of prerequisites to gain entry but the idea of demoting based on incidents would ruin the sport.
They do, all of the new ones have to pass the drivers test.

Really feel sorry for Blaney, how many times has he controlled race only to have victory
snatched away by a late caution.
I think they chose poorly on strategy. Even without the caution, I'm guessing a late race gas n go for the 4 or 22 would have won the race

Seems to me he’s more familiar with cup o’ noodles than he is with the Cup Series.

I think Johnson has lost his confidence with all of the mistakes he is making and it is snowballing. It can't be fun anymore with the results he has been getting. Monday morning at the drivers meeting...yeah I hit the wall, and yeah I ran into the back of Ty ruining his day and finished 26th

I think he's trying so hard to be relevant but he's just not able to run on that edge anymore. He's trying to get that extra tenth he used to be able find and it just ends in catastrophe.
The cars drive more like Busch/Nationwide cars did. Underpowered and speed is based on momentum. Look who has been dominating the series for the last 3-5 years. Drivers who were exceptional in that same equipment. Some of the more elite drivers thrived in overpowered cars and used the throttle to help turn. They get none of that with this package.

Johnson is sundowning. It isn’t a car problem. He’s at the end of his career. There are a lot of factors why JJ isn’t winning.

The cars drive more like Busch/Nationwide cars did. Underpowered and speed is based on momentum. Look who has been dominating the series for the last 3-5 years. Drivers who were exceptional in that same equipment. Some of the more elite drivers thrived in overpowered cars and used the throttle to help turn. They get none of that with this package.
They do with anything under a mile and that hasn't made any difference

I think Johnson has lost his confidence with all of the mistakes he is making and it is snowballing. It can't be fun anymore with the results he has been getting. Monday morning at the drivers meeting...yeah I hit the wall, and yeah I ran into the back of Ty ruining his day and finished 26th
My thoughts exactly. I think he's had confidence issues on the track since that Pocono wreck in 2017.

They do with anything under a mile and that hasn't made any difference
I have noticed that Johnson has run significantly better at shorter tracks this season: Darlington (before he crashed), Martinsville, and Bristol (the points race).

I have noticed that Johnson has run significantly better at shorter tracks this season: Darlington (before he crashed), Martinsville, and Bristol (the points race).
I don't think it is a significant fact. He finished 2nd at Fontana, one of the faster tracks with the 550 package. 2nd at Charlotte. 7th at Atlanta. I never have bought into the package being the problem, you have to drive both of them. They were on the ragged edge today for instance, cars losing it all by themselves and wrecking, plenty of speed and more importantly door to door racing and they were able to work each other over to pass.

I remember when I was racing, PJ1 was the chain lube we used. The schit was sticky but if you used enough of it you’d have it slung up on the back of your jersey and leathers.
I think it’s time they come out with a line of hair care products; gel, mousse, hairspray...

I thought it was pretty good race. Bubba Wallace with another top 15, good first race with CashApp.

850hp at Bristol and Martinsville is a hell of a lot more drive off opportunity than 750hp.
statistics don't show up favorable for that claim. Some have memories in their minds, a couple of three highlight reels out of years of racing that they show over and over, and forgotten are most of the races that are won by one or two cars way out in front for most of the race. I usually get, I don't care about statistics, by gawd I seen what I seen :biggrin:

1591039825414-png.47132

I think some have already forgotten the late race cautions that Nascar would throw to bunch up the field

Well Custer was a top 10 car in a top tier ride. Him “stealing” that race was not out of the realm of possibility. He took advantage of a GWC.

Dillion and Reddick were mid-pack cars most of the day and held off the fastest cars all day for what, 20 laps? Even when racing side by side.

There is a difference in the finish of these two races.
I'm sort of with you, but I don't think this is totally the case.

Keep in mind, there were 3 cautions there at the end. They didn't have to hold any one off for more than 5-7 laps at most. Also, those weren't the fastest cars. The 22 was about a 5th-7th place car, and the 18 was barely a 10th place car, desire starting the race with track position. And the 22 and 18 spent more time side by side than not. Totally different than the fastest car being unable to run down those guys...which, he was. Blaney drove back into the top 7 and was catching those guys.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

When someone said Jimmie had the fastest lap and it was like lap 5 I had a good chuckle but his mistakes this year are not only sad but concerning.

I'm plenty happy despite your repeated assertions otherwise. Worry about yourself
It's part of the dynamic of being a sports fan. If there was nothing to hope for, nothing to complain about, be let by down by, or be disappointed by, I wouldn't be interested in sports. That's too neutral.

Low lows pave the way for high highs.

Blaney moves into 2nd bumping Keselowski. The 88 and 24 both wrecked by others lose 2 positions each.

Blaney moves into 2nd bumping Keselowski. The 88 and 24 both wrecked by others lose 2 positions each.

I haven't paid attention to points at this point in the season for years, but harvick has a pretty strong hold on it

tire strategy going forward

buy 2 sets of tires for the weekend
one to start race
change other set sometime before last stage

any team that changes tires in last stage should expect to lose due to track position

Back
Top Bottom