Cup RACE thread --- Watkins Glen

Internet quit again. Shut down PC & WiFi to phone. Back up again. It's storming here right now. May have some affect? Had to go out on porch to get pictures uploaded. At least it's not leaking, yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20210808_183044880.jpg
    IMG_20210808_183044880.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20210808_183135378.jpg
    IMG_20210808_183135378.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 85
This is not to take anything away from McDowell and Almirola (and I'm happy that both of them have won this season), but if they hadn't won, we would currently have an outstanding battle for 16th going on.

Of course, I realize I'm giving NASCAR exactly what it wants with this playoff system--talking about 16th in points 2/3 of the way through the season. But the part of me that loves looking at stats and numbers can't resist.

In that scenario, the top 15 would be all but locked in already, and the battle for 16th would look like this with 3 races to go:
16. Buescher
17. DiBenedetto -12
18. Chastain -13
19. McDowell -31
20. Stenhouse -53
21. Wallace -55
22. Briscoe -84
23. Suarez -88
24. Almirola -97

Ok...maybe 1.0 meg? IDK. All I know is it's sloooow!😉😏😃
Lmao 1 mbps sounds much more likely....that's slightly faster than dial-up speed. 1 Gig is super rare even if you live in a major metropolitan area.

25% of Americans don't even have access to speeds above 3 mbps and 50% don't have access to speeds above 30 mbps. The ones who can get 100 mbps - 1 gig are very fortunate but they also have to pay a ridiculously high amount for it.

We are getting SLAUGHTERED by Eastern countries in internet speeds and it is shameful that the "middle-east" has us more than doubled in that regard.

This is not to take anything away from McDowell and Almirola (and I'm happy that both of them have won this season), but if they hadn't won, we would currently have an outstanding battle for 16th going on.

Of course, I realize I'm giving NASCAR exactly what it wants with this playoff system--talking about 16th in points 2/3 of the way through the season. But the part of me that loves looking at stats and numbers can't resist.

In that scenario, the top 15 would be all but locked in already, and the battle for 16th would look like this with 3 races to go:
16. Buescher
17. DiBenedetto -12
18. Chastain -13
19. McDowell -31
20. Stenhouse -53
21. Wallace -55
22. Briscoe -84
23. Suarez -88
24. Almirola -97
None of those guys will ever win a “Championship” unless a bunch of guys retire.

Lmao 1 mbps sounds much more likely....that's slightly faster than dial-up speed. 1 Gig is super rare even if you live in a major metropolitan area.

25% of Americans don't even have access to speeds above 3 mbps and 50% don't have access to speeds above 30 mbps. The ones who can get 100 mbps - 1 gig are very fortunate but they also have to pay a ridiculously high amount for it.

We are getting SLAUGHTERED by Eastern countries in internet speeds and it is shameful that the "middle-east" has us more than doubled in that regard.
Spectrum now offers 50meg for under around 40 bucks. 200 is $75.

$40? That is crazy low. They want me to pay $120 for 30 mbps
In my area $29 for 50 Meg for two years. $99 a month after two years. $50 month gets you 200 for 1 year. I had Internet/TV package with DVR/Showtime & others for 163 for guaranteed two years.You just shut it down for 31 days and sign up as new customer. That's what I intended to do this time. Neighbor mentioned the 5 bucks a month AT&T. Figured I could upgrade it but nope.

Sure. I’ve been with Spectrum since they bought out TWC in my area. There aren’t many options here or I’d be paying someone else.
The price will double after the introductory rate.
See my previous post. 31 days and you are new customer. Used to be able to hotspot my phone for that month. Verizon throttles it now. No good.

In my area $29 for 50 Meg for two years. $99 a month after two years. $50 month gets you 200 for 1 year. I had Internet/TV package with DVR/Showtime & others for 163 for guaranteed two years.You just shut it down for 31 days and sign up as new customer. That's what I intended to do this time. Neighbor mentioned the 5 bucks a month AT&T. Figured I could upgrade it but nope.

Not real happy with Sling either. Just real cumbersome. Don't like that if you shut the TV off, you have to navigate from "last channel" which TV thinks is antenna/HDMI/cable and NOT any streaming channel. So toggle over, down 4-5, click, wait... toggle over to guide, scroll thru list because no way to go straight into a channel unless it's in you favorites. But still have to scroll to channel in favorites. IMO it sucks.

Not real happy with Sling either. Just real cumbersome. Don't like that if you shut the TV off, you have to navigate from "last channel" which TV thinks is antenna/HDMI/cable and NOT any streaming channel. So toggle over, down 4-5, click, wait... toggle over to guide, scroll thru list because no way to go straight into a channel unless it's in you favorites. But still have to scroll to channel in favorites. IMO it sucks.
Sling was awful when I subscribed 2 years ago (from DirecTV). Switched to YouTubeTV & Netflix and couldn't possibly be happier...similar price with both subscriptions combined plus more content and unlimited DVR storage. If you have underwhelming internet you can just go to a place with public WiFi and download all shows/movies/sports to your phone apps without having to worry about low quality...and can watch them all at your convenience. Yesterday was shopping at Walmart and I downloaded 3 entire Netflix series, a few movies, and a handful of YouTubeTV shows in 15 minutes, and can watch them all without an internet connection

This might be a better discussion in the Podium as to not derail this thread

Last edited:

See, this is what confounds me. I remember as a kid climbing up on the roof and turning the antenna until my Dad told me to stop.

Any one of them could in fact win a "championship" under our current format, but I agree that none of them are likely to ever have a true championship-caliber season.
Championships lost credibility with the Chase implementation.
Nascar has been “Chase”ing fan dollars ever since.

Beat the damn thing. I'm sure they have people who check in to these boards.

What did they call it? Radio style? They had guys all at different areas on the track. I didn't think NBC could get worse but they found a way too!!

What did they call it? Radio style? They had guys all at different areas on the track. I didn't think NBC could get worse but they found a way too!!

The problem is not the quality, it’s the quantity. Mike Joy is so good at this, he lets everything breathe a bit and makes sure the color guys do as well. Combine that with them doing crank it up all the time, it’s good announcing. These guys just keep firing like a machine gun.

Radio does it kind of like this when describing action on the track, it’s basically 3 different play by play guys. That works, this doesn’t with 4 color commentators

Back
Top Bottom