Cup "rainy" RACE thread --- COTA

I'm just glad this weekend is almost over and now I can start getting excited about my favorite race weekend of the year "Indy 500" and then the "Coke 600" in the evening. Congratulations to the 9 and 5 team for a one two finish and HMS for having all 4 teams in the playoffs.

I was in Boston today on a brewery crawl with my best bud , but my other friend was updating me. Around stage 2 he told me Logano had been dominant.

Did this turn into a fuel mileage race?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
It turned into a fuel mileage race for the #18 and the #9. There was heavy rains and thunderstorms moving in and the #9 team decided to punch it and go for the win hoping for a weather caution, and at worst finishing in the top 10 if they had to pit. Shortly after the #9 passed the #18 for the lead, Kyle and company decided to make another stop so that they could make it till the end.

The #9 team won the strategy call.

I actually agree with Kyle, I honestly thought after the Custer and Truex incident that once stage 2 ended, that was going to be it. Once the rain picked up thst last time though, that was it.

I think Kyle does a great job describing the situation. (I know what he said, but that would be anyone leading the race)

It all depends, but I really think Kyle has a point. It was bad at times.

Oh man, Kyle Busch is in on it too? The sport is lost!

seems_a_little_crazy_weird_al.gif

If it makes you feel any better, it’s still raining just as bad. Theres only an ~hour of significant daylight left there.

So they lucked into getting it right. It was still the wrong call to call it that quick, or to even try to force the race in today to start with.

There's a reason I said they should have waited before calling it off. I even said, if they waited a half hour to an hour, I'd be fine because they'd know by then if they could restart. They especially should have waited it out a little since FS1 was BEGGING for the race to be called for Chase Elliott.

Everyone still defending NASCAR would've disappeared if the rain slowed down like they disappeared after Phoenix several years ago when the sun came out a half hour after NASCAR called a race due to rain.

I actually agree with Kyle, I honestly thought after the Custer and Truex incident that once stage 2 ended, that was going to be it. Once the rain picked up thst last time though, that was it.

I think Kyle does a great job describing the situation. (I know what he said, but that would be anyone leading the race)

It all depends, but I really think Kyle has a point. It was bad at times.

They could put Air Titans on the track during the rain to restart the race THEN, but couldn't the second time.

I agree 100% with Kyle. The race shouldn't have been restarted after that.

I think this would have been an epic race without the rain. While the race in the rain effort was a good one…I’d call this a one and done. Been there done that, don’t need another incident like the 19 & 41 crash. That could have been tragic.

They could put Air Titans on the track during the rain to restart the race THEN, but couldn't the second time.

I agree 100% with Kyle. The race shouldn't have been restarted after that.
Bruh. NASCAR swept the standing water off and then raced during a period where the radar was clear. When it started raining again it came on much heavier than before and kept up for like an hour and a half, and now it’s still misting but it’s dark.

Kyle didn’t say the race should have been ended then. He said they should have stopped it earlier when visibility was basically 0 and restarted when it let up.

You’re so far off lol

Bruh. NASCAR swept the standing water off and then raced during a period where the radar was clear. When it started raining again it came on much heavier than before and kept up for like an hour and a half, and now it’s still misting but it’s dark.

Kyle didn’t say the race should have been ended then. He said they should have stopped it earlier when visibility was basically 0 and restarted when it let up.

You’re so far off lol

So what do you want me to say?

NASCAR should have waited longer to call it. Literally was my complaint the second they threw the red flag and Fox begged for it to be called. Some of the other people defending NASCAR now even said that, if they called it within a few minutes, it would look like they did it for Chase ... BECAUSE OF FOX'S COVERAGE. Even you admitted that it's a bad look if NASCAR calls the race off for rain after racing in the rain. Then Chase won.

NASCAR was wrong to make the decision that quickly. AT THE TIME of that decision, meteorologists were saying the rain could clear out in 20 minutes and they'd get back to racing. So, the fact that it's still raining is just lucky for NASCAR.

You've criticized NASCAR frequently, more than anyone on here I'd bet, but this time, Chase Elliott won so you're 100% on board with the decision.

Every time NASCAR does this rain racing stuff, it turns into a flustercuck, and these races are often called off before their scheduled conclusion. As fun as it is to watch, NASCAR needs to 86 this experiment until the new car comes along which is supposedly built for this type of racing.

I think NASCAR needs to check the rain gauge and use that as a measuring point. These cars are just so damn heavy compared to any other major racing league, anything more than a light rain is too much

One benefit of the early call is we didn't have to endure another hour of one of the worst Cup race tv production in recent memory. There was a good chance we wouldn't even have seen KDB pass Chase for the win 100 feet from the finish line with this crew.

One benefit of the early call is we didn't have to endure another hour of one of the worst Cup race tv production in recent memory. There was a good chance we wouldn't even have seen KDB pass Chase for the win 100 feet from the finish line with this crew.
Artie Kempner is usually a consummate professional at calling a race in any one of the Game Creek Videos trucks. As this is a new Venue, glitches can, will and did happen.
Still, I expected more from a Emmy Award winning producer.

Some random stats after COTA:
- Chase Elliott is the 11th different winner in 14 races this season. Point leader Denny Hamlin and Kevin Harvick are among those who still have yet to win this year.
- Ross Chastain (4th) scored his career best finish. His previous best was 7th in this year's Daytona 500. His previous best on a non-plate track was 14th at Atlanta earlier this year.
- The part-time Kaulig Racing #16 has finished 1 position better in each of its last 3 starts (7th at the Daytona Road Course, 6th at Talladega, 5th at COTA).
- After finishing 11th twice in the prior 4 races, Chase Briscoe finally scored his first career top 10 finish, coming home in 6th.
- Michael McDowell (7th) earned his 5th top 10 of the season, an all-time high for any FRM team (and we're not even halfway through the season yet).
- I always hate to see a top 10 streak come to an end with an 11th-place finish, but that's exactly what William Byron did, after 10 consecutive top 10s heading into COTA.
- Denny Hamlin finished 14th, his worst finish of the season outside of Talladega, where he was involved in two accidents.
- Anthony Alfredo (18th) earned his first career top 20 finish on a non-plate track.

Honestly, I prefer the #9 strategy since they have the lead. The storm isn’t getting any better and the radar shows some thunderstorms mixed in, so bank on the weather caution to end the race. You haven’t won yet, stay on offense.
Got any lotter numbers for me to play? Stock picks? 😆

If Joey's wins this of course I'd be happy but that doesn't mean it wasn't BS.. Chase did not have the right strategy and there's no reason they can't keep trying to get puddles off the track right now.
OK, so I waited overnight to cool off and actually thought about it. I get the heat of the moment reaction and that your most hated guy won, but think about it. Chase was by far fastest car in last segment. IF they do as you say and keep throwing cautions to clear standing water, Chase probably saves enough gas under caution to stay out and wins anyway.

Some random stats after COTA:
- Chase Elliott is the 11th different winner in 14 races this season. Point leader Denny Hamlin and Kevin Harvick are among those who still have yet to win this year.
- Ross Chastain (4th) scored his career best finish. His previous best was 7th in this year's Daytona 500. His previous best on a non-plate track was 14th at Atlanta earlier this year.
- The part-time Kaulig Racing #16 has finished 1 position better in each of its last 3 starts (7th at the Daytona Road Course, 6th at Talladega, 5th at COTA).
- After finishing 11th twice in the prior 4 races, Chase Briscoe finally scored his first career top 10 finish, coming home in 6th.
- Michael McDowell (7th) earned his 5th top 10 of the season, an all-time high for any FRM team (and we're not even halfway through the season yet).
- I always hate to see a top 10 streak come to an end with an 11th-place finish, but that's exactly what William Byron did, after 10 consecutive top 10s heading into COTA.
- Denny Hamlin finished 14th, his worst finish of the season outside of Talladega, where he was involved in two accidents.
- Anthony Alfredo (18th) earned his first career top 20 finish on a non-plate track.
1621863565135.jpeg

“We looked it up so you don’t have to. The Countdown has hit zero. Green Flag is next on TNT...where we know Drama.”

Well that sucked. Not a very exciting track then add the crawling speeds and you get.....well....Sunday's race.

Next weekend is the best weekend in racing for most of us. Sucked that F1 Monaco was this weekend because the Trifecta was great. Now we get the Indy 500 and Coke 600 on the same day.

OK, so I waited overnight to cool off and actually thought about it. I get the heat of the moment reaction and that your most hated guy won, but think about it. Chase was by far fastest car in last segment. IF they do as you say and keep throwing cautions to clear standing water, Chase probably saves enough gas under caution to stay out and wins anyway.
I would have been fine with that. It's not that I hate Chase that was the issue.. it actually had nothing to do with Chase. I'm not one of the people that thinks NASCAR did it because it was Chase leading. I just thought they could have waited longer to try to get the track back.

I would have been fine with that. It's not that I hate Chase that was the issue.. it actually had nothing to do with Chase. I'm not one of the people that thinks NASCAR did it because it was Chase leading. I just thought they could have waited longer to try to get the track back.
and if ya believe that, the 22 didn't have a fuel problem and had better tires. but nah they should have waited longer. ;)

Back
Top Bottom