DALE JR to retire following 2017 season

A huge hole in the sport. Every week I look at practice speeds to see where he is at and try to guess how he stacks up against the other cars. Frankly I see my own interest dwindling in the sport. Already we have lost so many of the sports characters. Jimmie is not going to be far behind and only has a couple more seasons left himself. I know the sport continued on when others left years ago but it's undeniable that there hasn't beeen a time when so many big names That anchored the sport left. The sport also changed in who get the rides that's now young. Most of them don't have much of a story that got them to the top

Back in the good old days manufacturer loyalty trumped driver love as when a driver jumped to an enemy of your favorite manufacturer he became dead to you. When a driver you previously hated came to work for your manufacturer he became a good guy.

That sort of thing doesn't exist any longer as if you are a Clint Bowyer fan you don't care that he has run 3 different makes in 3 different years anymore than people like Kevin Harvick more or less because he has a Ford decal on his spec car this year. Nascar and the manufacturers have killed the ability to relate to a manufacturer for most people so it is all up to your favorite drivers and when they retire it causes problems if there isn't anyone else that strikes your fancy.

Well said Gluck.....

Over the years, I’ve found Earnhardt to be respectful and genuine and someone who doesn’t try to hide behind corporate speak. There’s nothing fake about him, and people seem to connect with that. There’s a very sincere quality there, which is something you don’t find all that often with people of Earnhardt’s celebrity status.

The people who claimed Earnhardt was popular because of his last name have always missed the point. While the name may have led to his initial opportunity in the sport, he was able to cultivate an ever-growing fan base and keep it over time because of the person he is — not his name.

http://jeffgluck.com/dale-earnhardt-jr-retiring-nascar-2017/

Wow, just wow. Quick on the draw Danicafreak -good job.

My mind immediately went to Daytona, July, 2001 .

Hope he stays in the team owner biz.

Homestead ticket office webcam.

tele-operator.gif

Im kinda bummed by this. heres to hoping JR stays in NASCAR to some degree

Reactions: Pat
Well said Gluck.....

Over the years, I’ve found Earnhardt to be respectful and genuine and someone who doesn’t try to hide behind corporate speak. There’s nothing fake about him, and people seem to connect with that. There’s a very sincere quality there, which is something you don’t find all that often with people of Earnhardt’s celebrity status.

The people who claimed Earnhardt was popular because of his last name have always missed the point. While the name may have led to his initial opportunity in the sport, he was able to cultivate an ever-growing fan base and keep it over time because of the person he is — not his name.

http://jeffgluck.com/dale-earnhardt-jr-retiring-nascar-2017/

This sums up Dale Earnhardt Jr. the man perfectly. Possibly the classiest, most down to earth and genuine personality in motorsports. The son of NASCAR royalty, yet you'd never guess it.

As others have said, he had an impossible burden of carrying an entire sport from the time he was 27 years old. There were peaks and valleys but at the end of the day he had a damn good career. 26 Cup wins, 2 Daytona 500 wins, 2 Busch series titles. Yet he managed to maintain his individuality under the pressure of being expected to emulate his father.

Gonna miss him.

Three thoughts

1) I doubt Dale runs another NASCAR race
2) While I like Alex Bowman, I just don't see him in the 88 car. I am thinking it is going to be another "big" name driver.
3) Atlanta gets screwed out of marketing a Farewell to Dale race.

Funny. I got out my favorite old 8 jacket just yesterday. Dusted it off and tried it on. Always loved that jacket. It is denim with a cozy red fluffy lining. Has an 8 applique on one front side and Bud Racing on the other. The collar is beige corduroy. On the back is a beige piece of leather with the 8 car embossed on it. Of course the right sleeve has the old NASCAR emblem. I was never able to find anything like that jacket again. Totally hated when I couldn't get one for the 88. I don't care what anyone says, Teresa Earnhardt only produced quality products. Now everything is just so cheap. I was able to find one quality 88 jacket. It was made by Adidas. Problem with it is it has the AMP emblem on the front. I guess I could wear it again now also. It is going to be a long time before I spend that much money on gear again.
I have the 88 adidas/Amp hat from 2008 that only him and the team wore that no one could find, cost me $85 on Ebay. I loved that hat, I still wear it every now and then. I also find the Chase Authentic hats and tshirts so much better than now. Some of those 8 Budweiser/DEI hats made by Chase were pretty awesome.

I have the 88 adidas/Amp hat from 2008 that only him and the team wore that no one could find, cost me $85 on Ebay. I loved that hat, I still wear it every now and then. I also find the Chase Authentic hats and tshirts so much better than now. Some of those 8 Budweiser/DEI hats made by Chase were pretty awesome.

Awesome!

:(

Really don't know if there's someone else to cheer for at this point. None of the newer guys have clicked for me.
how about Alex Bowman I would think he would take the 88 (and Byron going to the 5 after 2018 year)

The Jr retirement news has literally taken over Twitter, can only imagine how big it would it have been if Dale Sr had lived and had a retirement announcement. They are even talking about Jr on Sports talk radio here in Chicago.

WOW! Speechless. Going to miss Joonier. But his health comes first in my book. Now he devote all his time to making babies with Amy,,or at least practicing. Lucky devil! :)

Back
Top Bottom