DALE JR to retire following 2017 season

Wow, a true icon to the sport. He will be missed. I hope he does at least some guest commentating.

C-RaLzaWsAAZ-CH.jpg:large

Reactions: Pat
Prospero: In few, they hurried us aboard a bark,
Bore us some leagues to sea; where they prepar'd
A rotten carcass of a boat, not rigg'd,
Nor tackle, sail, nor mast; the very rats
Instinctively had quit it.

Shakespeare

For the guys that have consumed more beer than Shakespeare, allow me to translate:
"Like rats from a sinking ship."

I think last year's thread about his concussion predicted this.

I expect he and his sister will move up to Cup team owners.

This is interesting thought. With SHR leaving last year Chevy kind of has a void to fill. Yes Chip has stepped up his game with his two cars, but still a void non the less. Wondering if Chevy came to them with a proposal to fill that void.

My favorite Dale Jr. moment is probably the same as most. The 2001 Pepsi 400. I was on a boat catfishing that night, listening on the radio with my cousin and uncle, who was a big Sr. fan and transitioned to Jr after Sr passed. I'll never forget it. It was an awesome moment. For see Jr do what he did and Michael Waltrip finally getting to celebrate was amazing. We were so excited we didn't notice that my uncles fishing rod had about a 15 pound catfish on it. The people in other boats must have thought we were nuts.

Smart guy...M. Ali was always one of my heroes and it was said to see him "punch drunk" in his later years because he just hung on too long. Not that it would have happened to Junior but you never know about concussions.

Hope I've got enough years left in me to see the next generation :)

This is interesting thought. With SHR leaving last year Chevy kind of has a void to fill. Yes Chip has stepped up his game with his two cars, but still a void non the less. Wondering if Chevy came to them with a proposal to fill that void.
They have two solid drivers and one very very good young driver already. Maybe.

Sucks though man, I really enjoy Jr, but I think this maybe the guy to replace Jaws in the booth.

I think Jaws would move for one of his best friends son.
I always thought if DW retires from commentating, he would be replaced by... Michael Waltrip.
I think if Jr. becomes an analyst, he'd be going to NBC.

If MW goes to the booth, I'll switch to watch ladies golf or Sewing with Nancy on PBS
Dale Jr retiring is 100% on board with his injury and I expected it as well. Just happy he's racing this season and hope his "melon" doesnt get bumped/bruised again. hate to see him leave.
He'll replace DW in the booth, ( my guess )

earnhardtwallace.jpg

Of course, it’s missing is the secondary Waltrip ‘n Wood.

And people wonder why NASCAR doesn’t attract and hold an intelligent, young audience.

Wow............

If Hendrick (Hendricks for our special friends) puts the 88 back to the 25, what will the 88 tat wearers do?
An 88 can easily be changed to a 25 by blocking out the northwest and southeast vertical lines on the first 8, and blocking out the northeast and southwest vertical lines on the second 8.

I wish Dale Jr would have retired last year as with his concussion history he could be one blown tire away from a lifetime of hurt. Hopefully he can win a race or 2 and enjoy his life away from the track.
He can barely finish in the top ten, he's not gonna win another race. I have nothing against him but he's struggling.

Such a long way from 2000 or so when so many were predicting him being unstoppable and a line of championships waiting to be gobbled up.

Glad to hear he will be retiring. Soon I won't have to hear DW constantly talk about little E during every race. Probably means more Danica time though.

Back
Top Bottom