Daytona RACE thread ---

If you've 'been there and done that' and your not going back then you ain't doing it right. I'm just sayin.

each ta his own. you remain exuberant 24/7 today......i didn't.
but i got memories of pit pass durin races too. been there--done that.

same here..... " been there - done that " attitude . exuberance faded ! ha!
tv has way more appeal now .

Yeah...when I passed 70 my enthusiasm dimmed. When I passed 75 my interest waned. Now at 80 knowing how many I went to between 1962 and the mid 90's is enough memories. Shucks....I start the things to recording because I often drop off during the commercials. Back when I first got interested very often if you missed the radio broadcast you couldn't even find out who won for a day or two...especially at tracks like N. Wilkesboro. Often in some areas it was almost impossible to pick up radio broadcasts. Folks today expect too much but frankly....I don't blame them.

Will Junior winning make my future Martinsville tickets go up in price?
The 2014 NASCAR season is in full speed!
Celebrate Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s Daytona 500 win with a special that you just can’t pass. For a limited time, you can get two reserved grandstand tickets in the Bill France Tower to the STP 500 and two Pre-Race Track Passes for only $88.
Dale Jr. will be at the famous half-mile track in just a few short weeks for the STP 500. Be here and see him try to win another checkered flag on the tight turns of Martinsville Speedway.
Winning will be a challenge for the drivers, but it’s never been easier for you. Click here to order the Dale Jr. package and we’ll see you at the track.

Yeah...when I passed 70 my enthusiasm dimmed. When I passed 75 my interest waned. Now at 80 knowing how many I went to between 1962 and the mid 90's is enough memories. Shucks....I start the things to recording because I often drop off during the commercials. Back when I first got interested very often if you missed the radio broadcast you couldn't even find out who won for a day or two...especially at tracks like N. Wilkesboro. Often in some areas it was almost impossible to pick up radio broadcasts. Folks today expect too much but frankly....I don't blame them.

george ----betcha not too many here can say they gathered round radio......ta listen ta sunday race . ha!
johali maybe ?
usually a beer drinkin party .....on lake or river. good times !

george ----betcha not too many here can say they gathered round radio......ta listen ta sunday race . ha!
johali maybe ?
usually a beer drinkin party .....on lake or river. good times !

When Ronald Reagan gave the command to start engines from Air Force 1 for the July race at Daytona in 1984 my wife and I were crappie fishing in a quiet cove on Watts Bar lake in east TN. Reagan spent a couple of hours at the race and was interviewed briefly by Ned Jarrett who was an announcer then and was there to congratulate Richard Petty when he won his 200th race. We didn't miss a minute of any of it on our little transistor portable

We had been in the stands in Feb. that year and saw Cale Yarborough win his second consecutive 500. The year before he took his first car into the wall at 200mph during practice(or qualifying) and won in a backup car....a Pontiac. I never pulled for but two drivers during all those years, David Pearson and Cale Yarborough. My wife was a Darrell Waltrip nut. There are still two life size cardboard standups of him in our garage. She had to buy a case of Tide detergent to con a grocery chain manager near our home into giving her one of them...It was a floor display in his store. I set a pole in concrete at the entrance to our driveway. It proudly displays "Darrell Waltrip Blvd.":)

I don't know what the new rules are but not having communication with a spotter in the past has been a black flag offense until it was repaired. I've seen it happen several times over the years and wondered why they didn't make him stop and fix it.
I never got a good response on this question. I've also heard this question asked now on three different talk shows on Sirius NASCAR Radio. Nobody knew the answer to this.

I'm almost positive that there is a rule for this situation and it involves the driver/car having to come to pit road. Being out there without a spotter would present a danger to other competitors, safety workers, pit crews, anyone involved in on track or on pit road actions. I thought that NASCAR monitored all communication for all drivers and surely would have know that there was an issue. All of that being said, if he truly was out there running without a spotter, he did one helluva job and I also think he got away with something.

I never got a good response on this question. I've also heard this question asked now on three different talk shows on Sirius NASCAR Radio. Nobody knew the answer to this.

I'm almost positive that there is a rule for this situation and it involves the driver/car having to come to pit road. Being out there without a spotter would present a danger to other competitors, safety workers, pit crews, anyone involved in on track or on pit road actions. I thought that NASCAR monitored all communication for all drivers and surely would have know that there was an issue. All of that being said, if he truly was out there running without a spotter, he did one helluva job and I also think he got away with something.

I believe the rule is you have to have communication with a spotter whenever you are on the track, including practice, for safety reasons. I'm not real sure, but I think the rule stemmed from a driver being killed during practice without spotters. Sat on the track with his door to field for about 10 seconds before being nailed at full speed.

I remember KB being called to the pits to fix a radio. Why nascar let Denny stay on the track is beyond reason.

I believe the rule is you have to have communication with a spotter whenever you are on the track, including practice, for safety reasons. I'm not real sure, but I think the rule stemmed from a driver being killed during practice without spotters. Sat on the track with his door to field for about 10 seconds before being nailed at full speed.

I remember KB being called to the pits to fix a radio. Why nascar let Denny stay on the track is beyond reason.

Correct

Disappointing TV ratings. Kinda surprised.
It's awfully tough to beat the Closing Ceremony of the Olympics. On the other hand, rain-delay coverage on FOX destroyed the NBA doubleheader on ABC and wasn't far off from Olympic competition on NBC from 2-6 PM.

Disappointing TV ratings. Kinda surprised.
Down 44% from last year, kind of disheartening. But, as others have said, the rain delay, the Olympics closing ceremonies, and the fact the race didn't end until almost 11:30pm Eastern Time probably didn't help.

Kevin needs to let it go, If RCR didn't pick him to replace DALE he could be a what if. That's what family does, he will do the same for his. he didn't bitch when RCR bought out KHI for the Dillon boys.
Harvick was already in the RCR stable and was schedule to start running the #30 AOL car part-time in 2001.

During the martinsville truck race ill be settin on a ladder next to the motor home vista and the American flag pole. I've done this 3-4 times now. It's free, i can see everything, and no one's ever forced me to leave. Is this stealing or is it genius?

During the martinsville truck race ill be settin on a ladder next to the motor home vista and the American flag pole. I've done this 3-4 times now. It's free, i can see everything, and no one's ever forced me to leave. Is this stealing or is it genius?
I think it may be less than genius to post it, there are collection robots everywhere, virtually everywhere I say.

Sitting on a ladder? I opt for the $30 seat in the stands, wife by my side and beer in hand. Ladder sitting sounds a little more dangerous. I associate ladders closely with falling when alcohol is in the equation. Now, if I could relax on my RV's rear patio along the Martinsville backstretch, that would be sweet.

Sitting on a ladder? I opt for the $30 seat in the stands, wife by my side and beer in hand. Ladder sitting sounds a little more dangerous. I associate ladders closely with falling when alcohol is in the equation. Now, if I could relax on my RV's rear patio along the Martinsville backstretch, that would be sweet.
:D

I'm a roofer so heights aint a problem, its a steady A shape ladder from Home Depot. I'm single so all I need for a good race is a six pack of Bud and a few smokes. Free is good and gas aint cheap.

OK, I'm getting a picture of this. Also, warn us if you see any dangerous weather heading our way. ;)

Didn't affect my trip because I wasn't there for the 500.

Now, about that dog....

tha 2 ft dog ya couldn't finish.....or my dog tha wife took ....when she left ?

she - n - her lawyer wanted my "dreams - n - memories " too..........
.................but judge let me keep them ! ha!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom