Deegan update

Funny stuff here, since I've been called out.

When Danica Patrick was taken out by other drivers, sometimes on purpose, people constantly **** on her and said she wouldn't be involved in wrecks if she was good enough.

I was actually watching the truck race and Deegan was, what, 15th? 17th? Around the same position she's been all year? How's that top-10?

"She's only 20" ... and she's running with people who are younger than her, and she's been racing on asphalt for over six years now.

At some point, she's got to produce results ... and not just a fluke top-10 finish. Danica had some of those as well ... in Cup no less.
The expectation to win a race isn't "far too high" and should be the goal/expectation of every driver racing ... especially if they're in a quality ride.

My point is ARCA West isn’t the greatest indicator of talent for the top 3 series. Todd isn’t a superstar.

If more drivers put up a vlog of the stuff they do away from the race track, this sport would be a lot more popular IMO. This is the fix to the problem of “these drivers have no personality”. At the track and infront of a national audience they are mostly corporate drones.
Great post Wrex.

If more drivers put up a vlog of the stuff they do away from the race track, this sport would be a lot more popular IMO. This is the fix to the problem of “these drivers have no personality”. At the track and infront of a national audience they are mostly corporate drones.
I hear ya, but there's also a large portion of drivers that would like to keep their private life private. If you keep showing you out doing something now people start showing up at that place wanting to see and talk to you.

Please, no.

I hear ya, but there's also a large portion of drivers that would like to keep their private life private. If you keep showing you out doing something now people start showing up at that place wanting to see and talk to you.

just bring back nascar drivers 360 at undisclosed locations or something temporary, seriously

The difference between her and Danica is that Deegan is coming up the same way that everyone else did, rather than using her money and gender as a means to skip to the Cup Series and then flounder without consequences. If Danica still had sponsorship money she’d still be racing today, he results never mattered.

For what it’s worth, Deegan actually has results in a stock car. She may or may not be talented enough for Cup but she’s doing well with what she’s been in. Shes only 20 years old. It’s way too early to know much about her predicted career.
Danica came up in go carts and Indy cars. She spent a year in Europe at the age of 14 by herself racing against the guys and honing her skills in Indy cars. Danica didn't have it any easier than Deegan has.

Deegan has had a **** load of support. She's had the best equipment for her entire driving career due to her father having lots of cash and sponsors who now sponsor Hailie.

Danica did not skip to the Cup Series. Her first year driving a stock car was in the Nationwide Series. She had 4 top 10, a pole, and 19 top 15 finishes. That's pretty impressive IMO for her first full year in a stock car and being the only female in the field.

Danica would not be racing today if she had a sponsor. She was smart enough to invest her money well and is pretty much living a life most of us can only dream of.

Well, if Deegan cried after the last race, she's gonna be crying again today. I thought for sure she was going to have a solid finish after avoiding the big one.

Danica came up in go carts and Indy cars. She spent a year in Europe at the age of 14 by herself racing against the guys and honing her skills in Indy cars. Danica didn't have it any easier than Deegan has.

Deegan has had a **** load of support. She's had the best equipment for her entire driving career due to her father having lots of cash and sponsors who now sponsor Hailie.

Danica did not skip to the Cup Series. Her first year driving a stock car was in the Nationwide Series. She had 4 top 10, a pole, and 19 top 15 finishes. That's pretty impressive IMO for her first full year in a stock car and being the only female in the field.

Danica would not be racing today if she had a sponsor. She was smart enough to invest her money well and is pretty much living a life most of us can only dream of.
She's about to run a marathon for charity. Not a walk half-of-it either. Goal of 9-9:30 minute miles.

Funny. Stewart famously bitched and moaned about Gilliland who he called an idiot and said “the kid wins one Busch race and now he’s a Cup driver”.

Yet he promoted Danica into the Cup series without even a top 5 in the feeder series.

Her skills as a driver didn’t get her into the Cup series, her name and the money behind her did.

You’re right. I wouldn’t watch it.
There’s already enough fake entertainment in this sport.
So it wouldn’t hurt you if other drivers did it. Let those who wanna enjoy it have it, and you just ignore it. Simple and easy concept so everyone is happy.

So it wouldn’t hurt you if other drivers did it. Let those who wanna enjoy it have it, and you just ignore it. Simple and easy concept so everyone is happy.
Let them? I have no control what others do.
I watch racecar drivers for what they do on the racetrack.

Let them? I have no control what others do.
I watch racecar drivers for what they do on the racetrack.
I guess I took your “please no” the wrong way then. Because it seems to me you was saying for drivers not to do it. Carry on.

Danica is better than people give credit for. Problem is she struggled in Cup and had no willingness (or someone) to run Nationwide races like Kyle, Joey, Brad ever did when she needed to.

Funny. Stewart famously bitched and moaned about Gilliland who he called an idiot and said “the kid wins one Busch race and now he’s a Cup driver”.

Yet he promoted Danica into the Cup series without even a top 5 in the feeder series.

Her skills as a driver didn’t get her into the Cup series, her name and the money behind her did.
The Gilliland bashing by Tony was unfair. David was mediocre at Yates but was underrated at Front Row.

Danica was never a Cup caliber driver. She may have been had she taken to time to develop in trucks and Busch.
But no guarantees.

Danica is better than people give credit for. Problem is she struggled in Cup and had no willingness (or someone) to run Nationwide races like Kyle, Joey, Brad ever did when she needed to.
She said in an interview she would have liked to run some Nationwide races, but SHR didn't have a Nationwide team at that time.

The bigger problem she had was moments like this, where she gets to grab another driver by the firesuit and instead of getting shoved off and having a teamwide brawl, she has to be treated like a child who doesnt know any better. There wasnt a single driver in the garage who would get away with this and the reaction was “aw shucks she’s basically still a rookie”.

The bigger problem she had was moments like this, where she gets to grab another driver by the firesuit and instead of getting shoved off and having a teamwide brawl, she has to be treated like a child who doesnt know any better. There wasnt a single driver in the garage who would get away with this and the reaction was “aw shucks she’s basically still a rookie”.

At this point, Hamlin had wrecked her twice at Daytona for no good reason. If was her, I would have kicked him in the balls.

Sounds good for a post but the on track product prevails above all.
Give people something to talk about on Sunday or race day and all of the rest of the blanks will virtually self populate with interesting content.

At this point, Hamlin had wrecked her twice at Daytona for no good reason. If was her, I would have kicked him in the balls.
She shoukd have showed Hamlin what happens to people that mess with her.
She sure showed Landon Cassill.

Deegan is gaining experience while showing some advancement behind the wheel. Nobody knows how she will eventually rank, but I appreciate her efforts. What I do know is that she’s an athlete, so her ability to wrangle a stock car is helped by that. She, like many in her age range, are savvy with social media, and Deegan is excellent at presenting her experiences to her followers. Haley is, in my view, highly capable of gaining the skill needed to succeed and I hope she does. We need diversity in our sport, and youth who bring us along for the ride via their media. She is a natural relative to that; hopefully she will demonstrate equal ability on the track (she’s getting there).

A bit childish but eh, I think the fighting on pit road is silly from a professional standpoint.

Remember when she confronted Milka Duno? She was fixing to get that Angry Latina Asswhopping.

Hailie is matching and even beating her team-mate, Tanner Gray. I don’t think he’s a slouch, either. DGR’s results as a whole have been modest at best lately. I’d say she’s holding her own.

I don’t think the truck series is a great indicator of racing talent. It’s pretty much a demolition derby most races.

Hailie is matching and even beating her team-mate, Tanner Gray. I don’t think he’s a slouch, either. DGR’s results as a whole have been modest at best lately. I’d say she’s holding her own.

Hailie is who she is in my opinion. Good short track racer, really good short course truck racer (that’s where she belongs in my opinion if a series could ever develop there), decent to good in ARCA. The jury is still out to me on her abilities (and the Gray’s) in the top 3 with the way Ryan Preece spanked the field at Nashville.

She isn’t terrible by any means this year, but she just doesn’t show any speed.

She should worry about winning in Trucks and/or even ARCA again before moving to Xfinity full time. JMO.

Last edited:
She isn’t terrible by any means this year, but she just doesn’t show any speed.

She should worry about winning in Trucks and/or even ARCA again before moving to Xfinity full time. JMO.

Many of her fellow competitors should concentrate a little less on speed and concentrate on actually finishing a race without crashing into somebody or something. The Truck Series has ALWAYS been a bit wild, but I don't think I've EVER seen as many drivers driving WAY over their head as I have seen in the last couple of years.

Many of her fellow competitors should concentrate a little less on speed and concentrate on actually finishing a race without crashing into somebody or something. The Truck Series has ALWAYS been a bit wild, but I don't think I've EVER seen as many drivers driving WAY over their head as I have seen in the last couple of years.
Very true. That’s what happens when you create a culture of spoon fed kids and 15-25 year old racers up the wazoo. That’s just me.

I get worried about the future of NASCAR with the field counts in ARCA.

Very true. That’s what happens when you create a culture of spoon fed kids and 15-25 year old racers up the wazoo. That’s just me.
Racing isnt a poor person’s sport. Every driver or team has to already be fairly well off to survive and succeed.

“spoon fed” isn’t a problem. The issue is sponsors who want their driver in a series they might not be ready for yet.

“spoon fed” isn’t a problem. The issue is sponsors who want their driver in a series they might not be ready for yet.
Agree to disagree. No story or character when they’re loaded with money and can crash as many cars as they want. Need more workman types.

Racing isnt a poor person’s sport. Every driver or team has to already be fairly well off to survive and succeed.
I’d love some industry expert to chime in on cold hard truthful basic costs (data) from the 80s/90s versus 2000-present.

Back
Top Bottom