Did Elliot Manipulate the Ending of the Race?

Yep, the "real" NASCAR was 2013 when Brian France made a bunch of shit up on the fly to survive a PR crisis.

What ever happened to "boys have at it".
Matt Kenseth happened, that's what. Along with an impressive amount of race wins and a rather unimpressive cup championship, Kenseth's enduring legacy includes his ugly and shameful attack on Joey Logano at Martinsville, which inflicted a black eye upon the sport that will last essentially forever. In fact, it was mentioned on the broadcast just yesterday, in a context of ignominy.

"Boys have at it" just won't work reasonably when some drivers have an outsized sense of entitlement. NASCAR had no choice.

I'd like to ask @OldTimer exactly why he quoted the above news article to launch this thread? When the news article says, "The incident recalls..." the incident being referenced is not last night's race at Bristol. The article is actually about an incident from 2019 at the Homestead season finale. The rules violation was this: three unchartered backmarker teams (Rick Ware, Jay Robinson, and Spire Motorsports) conspired to fix the race results.

Yes, actual mobster-style race fixing... which was intended to win a cash prize of $175,000 for highest ranked unchartered car for the 2019 season. The conspiracy was designed to deprive the Gaunt Brothers team of the big check, but they got caught. The news writer likened the conspiracy to the "itchy arm incident" by Michael Waltrip Racing at Richmond several years before. [ Link to article ]

It seems to me that the "jailhouse lawyer" quoting the rule book and citing the literature is being rather loose with the true facts. I call B.S. on that cheap tactic. As for what Chase Elliott did at Bristol, I believe it was a simple case of payback. Aggrieved drivers talking payback is an over-used concept in NASCAR, but in Chase's case last night it was completely righteous, IMO.

Legal Disclaimer: Not a Chase Elliott fan, and don't "suckle media darlings."
Because that rule was amended due to the Waltrip situation. The prior rule pertained to the Boyer incident in 2010....the first time the rule was actually used was due to the 2019 incident pertaining to Ware and Gaunt.
By the way, I am not a "jail house" lawyer, just reading the facts. 12.8.g was added specifically due to the Waltrip incident.

Also, Chevy WAS ALLOWED an alteration in the middle of 2020 season that the other manufacturers did not get, nor applied for because the body rules were supposedly frozen.

Opportunity provided by Chase.
Exactly what both Elliot and Larson said in their post race interview. Elliot acknowledged he was complicit in changing the outcome.

If this would have been reversed, would NASCAR have a different view on the situation? That is the real question.

Trust me, if NASCAR wants to take action against Chase and the 9 team, they've proven about a dozen times, maybe more, they have no problem doing so. For ***** sake.

Who’s the guy in the white polo shirt who is next to harvick the entire time he’s talking to Chase? I’m assuming harvicks PR person???

He can be seen on pit road but then later when they talk he’s the only other person with them… and he’s doing the thing where every time chase says something he flings his head back reacting to it like its BS… like he was goading harvick to get mad when he’s doing that. White polo shirt guy, you don’t drive the race cars, let them talk!

That guy was basically holding harvicks hand is the way it looks. Dude, let him and Chase talk… stay out of it.

I’m on team Elliott all day for this!!! Cannot stand harvick. He can dish it all his career, but NEVER one time is he able to take something coming back. He’s billy badass to a T

Hey Kevin, search talladega 2015 when you’re bored… wrecking everyone to control your destiny. What a tool

I'm sure Chase woke up Sunday morning feeling a little bad about how the whole thing went down. Harvick was a big mentor to Chase his first year at JRM and they've always had a little bit of a relationship from that. Plus let's face it, we all know Chase Elliott isn't the type to disrespect people his senior. Despite what a particular few here want to preach, he isn't some spoiled brat. If I had to guess, they went into the 9 hauler and all was good within 30 minutes. And if not, Chase better prepare now to have to win the Roval lol.

I'm sure Chase woke up Sunday morning feeling a little bad about how the whole thing went down. Harvick was a big mentor to Chase his first year at JRM and they've always had a little bit of a relationship from that. Plus let's face it, we all know Chase Elliott isn't the type to disrespect people his senior. Despite what a particular few here want to preach, he isn't some spoiled brat. If I had to guess, they went into the 9 hauler and all was good within 30 minutes. And if not, Chase better prepare now to have to win the Roval lol.
annnnd once upon a time

Who’s the guy in the white polo shirt who is next to harvick the entire time he’s talking to Chase? I’m assuming harvicks PR person???

He can be seen on pit road but then later when they talk he’s the only other person with them… and he’s doing the thing where every time chase says something he flings his head back reacting to it like its BS… like he was goading harvick to get mad when he’s doing that. White polo shirt guy, you don’t drive the race cars, let them talk!

That guy was basically holding harvicks hand is the way it looks. Dude, let him and Chase talk… stay out of it.

I’m on team Elliott all day for this!!! Cannot stand harvick. He can dish it all his career, but NEVER one time is he able to take something coming back. He’s billy badass to a T

Hey Kevin, search talladega 2015 when you’re bored… wrecking everyone to control your destiny. What a tool
His name is Josh and he works at KHI. He needs to step off in these situations but hes a media whore

You are probably spot on. The fans usually hold a much longer grudge then the drivers do. :)

His name is Josh and he works at KHI. He needs to step off in these situations but hes a media whore

Thank you Spotter!

The first time on pit road, I’d give him a pass for being there in the middle of the initial gathering…

But the video of Chase and Kevin talking later… not one other person needs to be next to them, just stand back and let them be… They’re clearly wanting to talk things out at that point lol.

I felt for Chase just a bit there… Chase didn’t need to be concerned with that dudes opinion

I love the hell out of Elliott and Larson for racing exactly the way they did. They made that race so damn fun and I’m glad they’re both out there tearing it up!

I just cannot believe how amazing that race was.

Why is no one talking about the fact that the 4 tried to dump Larson on the straightaway? That’s why I’m not on Kevin’s side here. Not only does he cut Chase’s tire (racing incident IMO) but he tried to turn KL down the straight.
Yeah, twice. That more than likely was going to result in a huge hit too and who knows if Larson's car ends up back in traffic after that to top it off.

Matt Kenseth happened, that's what. Along with an impressive amount of race wins and a rather unimpressive cup championship, Kenseth's enduring legacy includes his ugly and shameful attack on Joey Logano at Martinsville, which inflicted a black eye upon the sport that will last essentially forever. In fact, it was mentioned on the broadcast just yesterday, in a context of ignominy.

"Boys have at it" just won't work reasonably when some drivers have an outsized sense of entitlement. NASCAR had no choice.
It was a rhetorical statement. I gotcha.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

He kept throwing his head back and reacting to a chase was saying as if he was personally involved in the incident. Kinda like the lonely kid who wants to be in the with popular crowd.

Chase putting his hand up to the guy's face to say "could you give me and Kevin a chance to talk" was pure gold.

Why is no one talking about the fact that the 4 tried to dump Larson on the straightaway? That’s why I’m not on Kevin’s side here. Not only does he cut Chase’s tire (racing incident IMO) but he tried to turn KL down the straight.
I watched that over and over, specifically from Harvick's on board..

I've been a supporter of Larson most of the year, but I'm actually going to give Harvick a pass on that. Larson did pull a slider on him , and for into him. On the straight, Harvick held his line and didn't lift. The first "attempted" turn was him driving into Larson as Kyle was drifting up, the second bit of contact was actually from Larson correcting himself across Harvick's nose.

Now, there's no question that Harvick was probably thinking I'm not lifting and I'll drive straight through him if he's going to put his car there. However, I don't think this was a case of Harvick turning into Kyle. It was Kyle pulling a slider, and a pissed off Harvick not lifting and continuing to drive straight regardless of any contact.

Not making excuses for the guy, but that's just how I saw it

He rubbed him after a pretty bad slide job from Larson. Larson wasn't dumb enough to slide job so badly that he couldn't HP away. Harvick couldn't turn him, couldn't get up on Larson't side to do so.

Maybe so, but at the end of the day, sadly it happens. Might not have been right but at the same time Chase has to stand up for himself or people will run all over him. If I was a driver and I saw a driver wouldn’t do **** if someone did something to him, I wouldn’t race them clean at all because I know it wouldn’t come back to bite me. If I know a driver will get revenge, then I’ll do anything I can to make sure I do race them clean.

Ask danica. She tried to race everyone clean (99%) and joey, etc ran all over her.

That long crooked index finger reminds me of the one The King used to poke people in the chest with.

Might not have been right but at the same time Chase has to stand up for himself or people will run all over him.
I tired of hearing that stuff. Nobody is going to drive over Chase. The thinking here is that if someone does, they should fear that he will do.....what?

Isn't that what he did? What did I miss?
Or he could call them childish names and think he is a tough guy

1632232438174.png

I tired of hearing that stuff. Nobody is going to drive over Chase. The thinking here is that if someone does, they should fear that he will do.....what?
JGR sure as hell made a living off it the last 3 or 4 years. Dennis, Kyle, and Martin have all flat dumped Chase while he was leading or charging to an inevitable lead.

Edit: OK, I'll cut MTJ some slack. He didn't dump Chase, just expected him to roll over and back out even though ol' Martin wasn't clear. You know, Martin's MO.

Isn't that what he did? What did I miss?
No. He put a finger square in big bad Harvick's face and it wasn't until there were 5 or 6 guys in between them that Harv decided he wanted to rip someone's head off. I guess those feelings subsided when it was only Mr. white polo standing next to him in the garage area.

Back
Top Bottom