Diversity....what happened in NASCAR?

Looking at Zamoras stats in the west series all year she seems to be right there with Deegan but without the fanfare or victories. I don't k ow much else about her though

It would be great for NASCAR to have a more diverse driver corps, but there are undeniable cultural, gender and socioeconomic reasons why the potential talent pool is so small. When outsiders try to figure out why the few out there are NOT making it, they are not noticing the thousands of white male rural American drivers that dream of a career in big time auto racing that aren't making it either. I will also point out that for whatever reasons, even in the NHRA where women can truly compete heads up against men without issue, women have had trouble attracting and keeping sponsorship, even though it seems like it would give you such a heads up attracting attention. Even at her worst, Danica was still a major media and fan draw, yet she basically ended up out of NASCAR because of a lack of sponsorship. . I DO think that with women drivers, teams and sponsors are wary of what happened with Ashley and Courtney Force, where they abruptly left top notch championship contending rides for marriage and motherhood.

I know this is gonna ruffle a lot of feathers but Deegan and Zamora don't look like the next great female driver in the Cup Series. Sorry but for how entertaining for Hailie to win, she hasn't had a convincing win yet. I know it's an early projection but I'm just not seeing the talent there that thinks they can get a win unless it's on a plate race strategy like Haley or Buescher at Pocono.

I know this is gonna ruffle a lot of feathers but Deegan and Zamora don't look like the next great female driver in the Cup Series. I know it's an early projection but I'm just not seeing the talent there that thinks they can get a win unless it's on a plate race strategy like Haley or Buescher at Pocono.

This is one place where negativity works. The chances for any driver to make it to the cup series are slim and none regardless of sex creed or color.

This is one place where negativity works. The chances for any driver to make it to the cup series are slim and none regardless of sex creed or color.

If you think it's being negative suit yourself. I've attended races and they both need to show a lot more dominance. What standard are we holding them to?

I've long held the claim that if we had a few more road courses on the schedule diversity would naturally follow. Although it's more exclusive financially now than it used to be I still believe this to be true.

Also think every champion from the Canada, Mexico & Euro (even East/West ARCA) series should be given a car for a one race shot of their choice in the Xfinity series.

I've long held the claim that if we had a few more road courses on the schedule diversity would naturally follow.
I notice other series with a greater percentage of road courses are still dominated by white males.

I've long held the claim that if we had a few more road courses on the schedule diversity would naturally follow. Although it's more exclusive financially now than it used to be I still believe this to be true.

Also think every champion from the Canada, Mexico & Euro (even East/West ARCA) series should be given a car for a one race shot of their choice in the Xfinity series.

OK, but as far as Cup, even during the heyday of "road course ringers" they couldn't beat the regular drivers. So what makes you think that all of these road racers would be able to come out of the woodwork and be competitive on the road courses, never mind the ovals.

I want the best racers to be able to compete in NASCAR no matter their race, sex, etc. But I don't want people in the sport just because of their race, sex, etc. for the sake of having them and denying rides to people with more talent. But we know getting rides in this sport depend on sponsors, not always about talent.

I want the best racers to be able to compete in NASCAR no matter their race, sex, etc. But I don't want people in the sport just because of their race, sex, etc. for the sake of having them and denying rides to people with more talent. But we know getting rides in this sport depend on sponsors, not always about talent.

I agree 100%, but I do also realize that a broader driver spectrum would be good for the sport from a marketing standpoint. I guess most importantly, if there IS a woman or minority that truly has what it takes, I hope they get a fair shot at it.

Sponsors rule who will drive. If you want a certain driver maybe you should talk to companies that would be more interested in a female spokesperson.
There are a lot of products that women use and are exclusive buyers.

Sponsors rule who will drive. If you want a certain driver maybe you should talk to companies that would be more interested in a female spokesperson.
There are a lot of products that women use and are exclusive buyers.

The better question is are the drivers and teams NOT doing this, or are they and just not getting anywhere? Even Danica never really had a "female focus" product as a sponsor. If not as a primary sponsor, why not an associate, or at least a personal services deal with the driver? I mean heck, we had Underalls (with Sterling Marlin) and Tammy Jo Kirk had that bra company for a while, and in all the years since, we haven't made any ground in that area. The NHRA women don't seem to ever get female products for sponsors either. Where are all the "urban products" (I cringe a little even saying that phrase) that SHOULD want a piece of Bubba Wallace? Why doesn't he have a shoe deal at least for cripes sake?

Thank you for saying this. I was thinking of a response, but then remembered this wasn't the Podium and I figured it would get deleted.

3hldfs.jpg

Danica came and went.

Sink or swim...
I don't think she sunk... She came and swam in the Nascar pool long enough to make her a household name which in turn made her a lot of money and then she swam away into the arms of one of the wealthiest quarterbacks in the NFL. I also don't think there will ever be another female driver that will get the popularity that she did no matter how good of a driver they are. I'm not saying thats fair but that's the way the world turns.:)

I don't think she sunk... She came and swam in the Nascar pool long enough to make her a household name which in turn made her a lot of money and then she swam away into the arms of one of the wealthiest quarterbacks in the NFL. I also don't think there will ever be another female driver that will get the popularity that she did no matter how good of a driver they are. I'm not saying thats fair but that's the way the world turns.:)

Danica was a household name before she ever stepped foot in a stock car. She became a household name in IndyCar and that helped her transition to NASCAR.

Danica was a household name before she ever stepped foot in a stock car. She became a household name in IndyCar and that helped her transition to NASCAR.
I agree but she didn't make near the money and her popularity grew even more when she moved to Nascar.

27-28-24-24-28
Zero
Zero
Seven
One

in a coveted ride

https://www.racing-reference.info/driver/Danica_Patrick
I didn't realize she made that much in an Indy car. Plus, after you figure in all of her commercials, books sales, clothes lines, winery, and all of the tv appearances...plus any other businesses she may have her hands in should set her up for life...now if she can close the deal with Mr QB.

I think Hailie has a chance to challenge her popularity, she has a more outgoing personality and is more fan friendly than Danica ever was, she's already big on social media at a young age, and she is solely built to succeed in Nascar, they will have their spotlight on her just the same to try and replicate the Danica experience for ratings. Danica would have been twice as popular if she could have got results in nascar and won races imo, it would have been Danica fever, but the problem was always her talent was in open wheel.

I think Hailie has a chance to challenge her popularity, she has a more outgoing personality and is more fan friendly than Danica ever was, she's already big on social media at a young age, and she is solely built to succeed in Nascar, they will have their spotlight on her just the same to try and replicate the Danica experience for ratings. Danica would have been twice as popular if she could have got results in nascar and won races imo, it would have been Danica fever, but the problem was always her talent was in open wheel.

Much more of an uphill battle for Deegan. The expensive novelty has worn off so she will be judged more critically by her racing record. It's a matter of opinion but I think Danica in a lot of ways did more harm than good for women racing in the cup series. I do think the desire is there for many to want a female competing at the higher levels, but I think the backing money is more cautious.

I want to like Hailie, but has she won a race yet without using the bumper? It's great what she's doing in the West Series. But I haven't noticed many fast races in ARCA or East besides IRP.

why be fixated on this? why be fixated on someones race, sex, national origin as some sort of right to race a car? HERE IS A NOVEL IDEAL, OUTRUN EVERYONE AND YOU WILL GET HIRED. further I would add IMO being a women or someone other than white actually has a better chance of getting noticed if they, let me repeat, OUTRUN EVERYONE ELSE ON THE RACETRACK IN EQUAL EQUIPMENT. The reason no one is racing out and signing deegan is because she drove a mcanally car. The hauler driver could win in it. the K&N series generally has about 5 cars in a given race that are capable of winning. scratch off 1 or 2 because they have trouble during the race. that means if you finish the race in one of those cars you should have a 1in 3 shot at winning. please I beg you understand the series and the environment these people are racing in. who has bought their ride? which cars are capable of winning? How did the driver get to the series? please ask yourself this in evaluating talent and who should be what and where.

the article mentions Natalie decker. all I gotta say is are you kidding me?!? after watching one inteview with her, she sounds like a first year middle school girl. frankly terribly immature. I wouldn't let her drive my go cart. I don't see a bias in nascar, I just don't, in fact I see the opposite. I see women and minorities favored over countless other drivers who would generally run the equipment faster and better. this is a public forum, I have my opinions you have yours and that is ok. I call it how I see it. one last thing, is putting another women in a car and having them fail at the highest level, promote or make it harder for other women coming up attempting to do the same who may actually have the talent to succeed?

Your often-used declarative statement is an embarrassment.

And it smacks of misogyny.
I don’t give a rip. Learn the series and learn which cars win and who the teams are. Yes the hauler driver could win driving for that team.

I’m well aware that you don’t give a rip.

That excuses neither the embarrassment nor the misogyny.

I’m well aware that you don’t give a rip.

That excuses neither the embarrassment nor the misogyny.
It’s funny you use the word misogyny. You clearly have no idea that I live for my wife’s happiness and well being. Out of my life’s goals at the top is impressing her and giving her the best possible life. I open the door for her in our dates. She is the most amazing person and has defined my existence. I teach my daughters (4) to be strong and independent and demand their males to be men. Yet I am a misogynist? Because I said people should not drive a race car because of their sex or race? What has the world come to?

It’s funny you use the word misogyny. You clearly have no idea that I live for my wife’s happiness and well being. Out of my life’s goals at the top is impressing her and giving her the best possible life. I open the door for her in our dates. She is the most amazing person and has defined my existence. I teach my daughters (4) to be strong and independent and demand their males to be men. Yet I am a misogynist? Because I said people should not drive a race car because of their sex or race? What has the world come to?
You weren’t posting about your wife or your daughters. I’m glad to hear you treat them so well.

In the meantime, Bill McAnally’s hauler driver called. He said Haillie Deegan backs the tractor - trailer into all the tight spots because she’s better than he is.

Back
Top Bottom