Dodge?

I have about four different threads of sources. They originate from all sides of the story. Inside NASCAR, inside FCA, etc. Every last one is now converging and telling the same story. It is happening. I can't list them. That's not how the game works from a journalistic point of view. You just have to wait until Speedweeks or somewhere in that time frame. I am 95% confident it will happen. The only reason it's not 100% is that it is a business and things can change. Although I don't expect it to at this point.

... because journalism.

What does the journalistic point of view see in RCR’s future?

Non-answer.

Childress cars have run 2840 Cup races since his first in 1969 ... every one of them in a Chevrolet. The revenue stream tied to his copyrights is huge and comes with little expense.

Moving to Dodge?

I wonder if they’ll stick around this time.

As cool as the Charger would look on the track, I’d prefer an organization that’s shown a continued and consistent commitment to motorsports.

I don't know I certainly hope so. There are a lot of youngsters to build around. Bubba and the Dillons have many years to go.

I have about four different threads of sources. They originate from all sides of the story. Inside NASCAR, inside FCA, etc. Every last one is now converging and telling the same story. It is happening. I can't list them. That's not how the game works from a journalistic point of view. You just have to wait until Speedweeks or somewhere in that time frame. I am 95% confident it will happen. The only reason it's not 100% is that it is a business and things can change. Although I don't expect it to at this point.
My sources say this is 100% false.

Non-answer.

Childress cars have run 2840 Cup races since his first in 1969 ... every one of them in a Chevrolet..

Moving to Dodge?

Actually, RCR fielded Oldsmobiles in many races 1978-80, and Pontiacs in 1981-82. Richard even ran a Cup race in a Plymouth once, although I believe he was just the driver.

Thanks. I had no idea ... but I think you get my drift.

Maybe the Mopar connection is still a warm memory. :rolleyes:

Hey, I'm with you in that it would be totally mind blowing to see RCR field ANYTHING but a Chevy, but I have a feeling at this point, with the fortunes of that team on the decline, he would probably field Fiat 500s if it kept his family in the big show.

I would love to see Dodge back in NASCAR, but like previously said, they need to hang in there longer than the last episode.

Why are you so intent on insisting that Dodge isn't coming back?
Because I don’t believe they are. Marchionne retires in less than a year and I doubt he will drop that on a successor.

RCR has several satellite businesses running, all of which are linked to his association with Chevrolet. Him switching over to Dodge makes about as much sense to me as Roush Fenway Racing linking arms with Hyundai.

Actually, RCR fielded Oldsmobiles in many races 1978-80, and Pontiacs in 1981-82. Richard even ran a Cup race in a Plymouth once, although I believe he was just the driver.
Yeah, he was just the driver. The owner was Doc Faustina. Dover 1971 finished 30th. The car was number 5.

Because I don’t believe they are. Marchionne retires in less than a year and I doubt he will drop that on a successor.

RCR has several satellite businesses running, all of which are linked to his association with Chevrolet. Him switching over to Dodge makes about as much sense to me as Roush Fenway Racing linking arms with Hyundai.

Maybe just maybe, the check was finally big enough. After all, they have been after RCR since they lost Penske. Money talks more now than it ever did.

Childress may be a Chevy boy, but he has shown that he's willing to take money from anyone that offers it. If FCA made the right offer, I have no doubt that he would switch.

Childress may be a Chevy boy, but he has shown that he's willing to take money from anyone that offers it. If FCA made the right offer, I have no doubt that he would switch.
Richard Childress is no “boy” and his association with GM is 45 plus years old.

I believe that most successful businessmen, under the right circumstances, take money “from anyone who offers it.”
That’s the point of being in business.

Last edited:
Richard Childress is no “boy” and his association with GMis 45 plus years old.

I believe that most successful businessmen, under the right circumstances, take money “from anyone who offers it.”
That’s the point of being in business.

In other words, it's very possible that they will be fielding Dodges in 2019.

Does anyone know if RPM has found suitable shop space yet ... or are they still too busy switching over to Chevrolet / Dodge?

Does anyone know if RPM has found suitable shop space yet ... or are they still too busy switching over to Chevrolet / Dodge?
They have been visiting RC yearly since they left, I am gonna enjoy seeing those Childress Dodges, aren't you?

Matter of fact I found out this week they have put out feelers to just about every major team that has had their contract come up the last three or four years. Penske, SHR, RCR, and even called Roush, of course, none bit until now.

They have been visiting RC yearly since they left, I am gonna enjoy seeing those Childress Dodges, aren't you?
Respectfully, neither you nor your un-named sources are credible.

For the record, I’d be pleased to see another maker in the garage.

Matter of fact I found out this week they have put out feelers to just about every major team that has had their contract come up the last three or four years. Penske, SHR, RCR, and even called Roush, of course, none bit until now.
Of course. This is a circular argument. The proof will be, as they say, in the pudding.

Have a pleasant evening.

Maybe just maybe, the check was finally big enough. After all, they have been after RCR since they lost Penske. Money talks more now than it ever did.
I'm going to nitpick this one. FCA didn't 'lose' Penske, they dropped Roger and walked away.

Assuming any of this holds water, I can understand teams being reluctant to sign on after Dodge's relatively recent behavior, and asking for larger checks than they would have otherwise.

Last edited:
Did Dodge walk away Before, During, or After they had filed for bankruptcy protection??

As much as I want to see this I have a very hard time believing Childress will be the guy fielding the #1 Dodge team. I just don't see it coming to fruition. At this time Nascar is on the decline in a rather steep manner, it would make no sense for another manufacturer to come into the sport when sponsors are leaving, attendance is drastically down, and the plight of the title sponsor is being questioned.

You may have already said this... but when the announcement comes during Speedweeks is it just a general announcement of Dodge coming back or more along the lines of “Dodge coming back with RCR” ?

You may have already said this... but when the announcement comes during Speedweeks is it just a general announcement of Dodge coming back or more along the lines of “Dodge coming back with RCR” ?
Team announcements would come later, Speedweeks announcement would be intent to return.

Serious question - what happens to ECR's other GM-badged operations? NASCAR isn't the only thing they build for.

ECR could continue to provide engines for multiple manufacturers, many engine business do that. If GM did not want to continue with ECR, they could take their LS engine programs to Katech or Lingenfelter who already work closely with GM or even take the work in house as they have done on certain engines like those for Corvette Racing. As for NASCAR engines, if ECR did not want to continue building R07 NASCAR engines, I would think Hendrick Engines would welcome the extra work.

Back
Top Bottom