Eric Jones to the #20 in 2018

Another thing people are always forgetting about Nascar is that being talented is great but being able to attract and maintain sponsorship is the ultimate skill to possess. After all Micheal Waltrip didn't have a long Nascar career because he was a good driver.

I don't disagree there ... I already stated in one of these threads that sponsorsh
Another thing people are always forgetting about Nascar is that being talented is great but being able to attract and maintain sponsorship is the ultimate skill to possess. After all Micheal Waltrip didn't have a long Nascar career because he was a good driver.

I'd agree with this ... salesmanship is not a Matt Kenseth strong point. He's never loved the camera quite to the degree that most of these drivers do. He might finally be at a point where his driving skills aren't quite good enough to make up for those other deficiencies. If you want a good driver who will have you in title contention then Matt is your guy. If you are looking for a face of your organization he's not the right guy.

There's good business and then there is bad business that leaves a bad taste on you mouth.
In this case, the only taste that matters is the one in Matt's mouth. He hasn't seemed inclined to reach for the Listerine to me.

I feel the same way about this that I did about the Indianapolis Colts replacing Payton Manning with Andrew Luck. I'd like to see the older guys finish their careers where they were, but I completely understand the need to bring the new blood along before someone else turns their heads. People sometimes forget sports are in the entertainment business.

So far it has been days and I know I haven't hear a peep out of Kenseth saying he is going to retire or wanted to. Drivers of his stature announce that they are going to retire and they go out that way. There are exceptions to that of course but for the most part that is the right way to go out.

Not quite. The 78 and 77 are 100% Go Jibbs racing anyway.
FYI Furniture Row is a separate team that was backed by Chevy but moved over to Toyota with their 78 car. Jones was signed with Gibbs but they leased him out with Toyota's blessing and backing to the Furniture Row team for one year. The 77 number is Barney Visser's number, Jones is 100% Gibbs.

Matt to the 88 for 2 years, then Byron Williams. Brad to the 5 car.
I get my info from an insider. There's a new TV reality show set to air this Sunday @ 3 pm on NBCSN
In episode #1 Kasey and Danica have a spat, Danica stomps her foot and injures it, Rickie tries to calm her down but gets a bloody nose. Later on Kyle takes out Brad......... to lunch for tea and scrumpetts! Will Carl and Biff have a cameo appearance? Or will it rain on their parade? Tune it.

In this case, the only taste that matters is the one in Matt's mouth. He hasn't seemed inclined to reach for the Listerine to me.

I feel the same way about this that I did about the Indianapolis Colts replacing Payton Manning with Andrew Luck. I'd like to see the older guys finish their careers where they were, but I completely understand the need to bring the new blood along before someone else turns their heads. People sometimes forget sports are in the entertainment business.

There are fans only and then there are fans that also have some understanding of sports being a business. You mentioned Luck and Manning and to that I would add Joe Montana being supplanted by Steve Young despite Joe not being ready to retire and finishing up as a Chief. Vince Lombardi ended up with the Redskins, Tony Dorsett finished up as a Bronco and Franco was a Seahawk in his final year. Some people get it and some don't.

FYI Furniture Row is a separate team that was backed by Chevy but moved over to Toyota with their 78 car. Jones was signed with Gibbs but they leased him out with Toyota's blessing and backing to the Furniture Row team for one year. The 77 number is Barney Visser's number, Jones is 100% Gibbs.
Thats what they want you to believe because of a 4 team limit. the 78 and its "alliance" is this " here run our cars, so we have more toyoders out there that can compete instead of just the jibbs cars". Switching manufacturers doesnt make a 15th place car and 1st place w/o some help.

Thats what they want you to believe because of a 4 team limit. the 78 and its "alliance" is this " here run our cars, so we have more toyoders out there that can compete instead of just the jibbs cars". Switching manufacturers doesnt make a 15th place car and 1st place w/o some help.
bud, Furniture Row has been a team in Nascar for years and years. He moved over to Toyota because he got better $upport from Toyota. You have him and Gibbs twisted, Gibbs is an all in 4 car Toyota team in cup and Xfinity and trucks. Furniture row has been a one car team for years.

Visser has a business to business relationship with Gibbs just like the one Haas had with Hendrick until last year.

This is not factual.

What are the facts, then? It was reported at the time that Monster is paying 20 mil per season .. the old deal for Sprint was believed to be $50 mil per. Maybe a third isn't quite accurate, but it's substantially less according to dozens of reports at the time. Were those reports all wrong?

What are the facts, then? It was reported at the time that Monster is paying 20 mil per season .. the old deal for Sprint was believed to be $50 mil per. Maybe a third isn't quite accurate, but it's substantially less according to dozens of reports at the time. Were those reports all wrong?
Part of a more unbiased look is the difference in marketing. Monsters fights, car and motorcycle shows, admission promotions, and personnel some with and some without clothing take some of the edge off of the actual prices. It's called blue sky. Yeah it isn't the same monetary amount as Sprint but then it's 20 also million plus.

I'll repeat someone else's earlier question: what has Gibbs done in this arrangement that you think is unethical?

The only thing that was kind of shady is that Joe Gibbs kept saying Matt's future was safe at JGR, and that they loved him, and hoped he'd retire at JGR. I don't really fault for Gibbs for trying to keep a happy face on everything though .. and I think Matt was aware of the situation pretty much all along. He just finally got the point where felt he had to make a statement about his future.

The only thing that was kind of shady is that Joe Gibbs kept saying Matt's future was safe at JGR, and that they loved him, and hoped he'd retire at JGR. I don't really fault for Gibbs for trying to keep a happy face on everything though .. and I think Matt was aware of the situation pretty much all along. He just finally got the point where felt he had to make a statement about his future.
You figure when ol "coach" wrapped his arm around him and said Matt we just lov ya, but ya gotta go.:D and then turned around and said we gotta a new family now...we just love Eric what a guy.:D

"Sprint inked a three-year extension through the end of this season at a reduced rate of about $50 million in rights and activations fees ..."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-sponsor-may-bring-less-money-table/92151830/

Monster's deal does not include activation costs.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2016/12/12/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/Monster.aspx

I think he was hoping that a deal could be extended between Jones and Furniture Row.
Im sure Matt drives for someone. I kinda like him actually....he showed some moxie coming after long neck (lognao)

This is what bothers me. Matts Presser seemed to indicate he WANTED to remain at gibbs. I feel he got backstabbed.
Feel? he did. It sure couldn't be performance based? Hears his boss? (not sure about who is pulling the strings) talk about his undying love for Matt's driving, he's doing well there, I'm sure he was making plans like a person does who has a job, and Bam. Hard for me to figure it any other way.

the whole thing smell like a factory team pulling the strings and I thought Nascar did away with that years ago

for some reason matt has never been very good with sponsors. people forget that is why he had to leave roush. At the time I don't think he ever wanted to leave there but jack ran half the season without sponsorship for matt as it was. I know he doesn't have the most interesting personality. but I guess behind the scenes he doesn't really either. other drivers do alot better at this who don't really have a very good TV personality. elliott sadler and clint bowyer come to mind. I think there is things these guys do or don't do behind the scenes to secure sponsors.

if I am a sponsor concerned about winning, I want matt still driving the 20 car I am paying for, matt could easily rattle off several wins, if the team gets right.

I've been reading this thread and all I see are posters getting into arguments over something that we have no direct
knowledge of --- rampant speculation is getting some into war with others because they don't think alike. So what?
Unless you were a fly on the wall in JGR meetings and can speak with direct knowledge, why get all hot and bothered?

Sooner or later it MAY come out --- but if it doesn't, the world will keep turning and the sun will keep coming up. Private reasons
for a team or driver doing something that we don't understand, are exactly that --- private.

Maybe I'm a bit strange, but I don't really care what the reasons are --- maybe it was personality clash, maybe it was money. Whatever the reason(s), it's JGR's business. Not mine.
Yes, I was sorry to see Carl leave, and yes, I'm sorry to see Matt leave. But they have their reasons and they don't need to divulge them just to satisfy curiosity.

for some reason matt has never been very good with sponsors. people forget that is why he had to leave roush. At the time I don't think he ever wanted to leave there but jack ran half the season without sponsorship for matt as it was. I know he doesn't have the most interesting personality. but I guess behind the scenes he doesn't really either. other drivers do alot better at this who don't really have a very good TV personality. elliott sadler and clint bowyer come to mind. I think there is things these guys do or don't do behind the scenes to secure sponsors.

if I am a sponsor concerned about winning, I want matt still driving the 20 car I am paying for, matt could easily rattle off several wins, if the team gets right.

That ain't right about Matt leaving. At the time he announced he was leaving, he and Biffle were 1 and 2 in the standings June 2012. What would make a driver who was running in 1st place at the time to leave? only two answers I can come up with. Not happy where he was, somebody offered more money, or both.

I'll repeat someone else's earlier question: what has Gibbs done in this arrangement that you think is unethical?

Alas we will wait and wait and wait because Joe Gibbs and JGR didn't do anything to Matt other than provide him with great cars and lots of money.

"Sprint inked a three-year extension through the end of this season at a reduced rate of about $50 million in rights and activations fees ..."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-sponsor-may-bring-less-money-table/92151830/

Monster's deal does not include activation costs.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2016/12/12/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/Monster.aspx
The same SBD article claims Sprint spent $65-75m a year; is that an average?

I find it a little surprising Monster is probably spending less on activation.

The same SBD article claims Sprint spent $65-75m a year; is that an average?

I find it a little surprising Monster is probably spending less on activation.

"sources claimed" who ever they are. In the other article the same rag claims different: "Sprint inked a three-year extension through the end of this season at a reduced rate of about $50 million in rights and activations fees, according to Sports Business Daily." :idunno:

Kahne to the #77, I still think Kahne has talent and him going to FRR with Truex can revive his career

Kenseth to drive for HMS or Jr Motorsports next year (assuming they move to cup)

It is comical that some can claim to know the ins and outs of what went down with Matt Kenseth and JGR yet dispute the haircut NASCAR took on naming rights.

Kahne to the #77, I still think Kahne has talent and him going to FRR with Truex can revive his career

Kenseth to drive for HMS or Jr Motorsports next year (assuming they move to cup)
stranger things have happened and worked out.

Back
Top Bottom