Eric Jones to the #20 in 2018

Feel? he did. It sure couldn't be performance based? Hears his boss? (not sure about who is pulling the strings) talk about his undying love for Matt's driving, he's doing well there, I'm sure he was making plans like a person does who has a job, and Bam. Hard for me to figure it any other way.
Hell, I figured when Erik signed with the 77 that Matt was in a vulnerable position. Kyle safe. Denny just signed. The next driver Arris would sponsor would be Daniel. That left Matt at 45 years old...

It is comical that some can claim to know the ins and outs of what went down with Matt Kenseth and JGR yet dispute the haircut NASCAR took on naming rights.

"Inside" information I am told.

why get all hot and bothered?

It's about being a "disliker" I suspect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah just never one who never drank the Gibbs cool aid every since Tony bailed. BTW that was a long time ago. I'm still on the fence as to who put the rocket fuel in Mikeys car.

The same SBD article claims Sprint spent $65-75m a year; is that an average?

I find it a little surprising Monster is probably spending less on activation.
Sprint's original 10 year deal cost them 75 per year. They re-signed for 3 more at 50 mill, which included their activation expenses.

No idea how much Monster is spending on top of the 20 they're paying NASCAR but people seem to like what they're doing.

Last edited:
Hell, I figured when Erik signed with the 77 that Matt was in a vulnerable position. Kyle safe. Denny just signed. The next driver Arris would sponsor would be Daniel. That left Matt at 45 years old...

My impression was that JGR was going to park Jones with FR until they could move him up with the A team. Matt's contract ran out and it was time to move Erik in house which seems logical not sinister as some are making it out to be.

Maybe I'll go with you next winter.

Right now, it's too hot for the tinfoil suit.

To late for me

zombie001_zps67169f19.jpg

Damn, I can feel the heat coming from that photo.
Yeah that was from 4 years ago and in the fourth year of a five year drought. Probably 105 or more, it got up to 115 some days. This year it hasn't got to 100 yet. By this time last year we had over 2 weeks over a hundred. Hope I don't jinx it.:biggrin:

I thought this was the plan all along, since there was no room at the Inn, the 77 team was created as a holding spot for Jones till JGR could make room for him, so what I am saying, not surprised that Jones is going to the 20 , as that was the plan all along.

There's some truth to sponsors not wanting to pay the old rates ... just look at the main sponsor, Monster .. they are paying a third of what the previous sponsor paid.
I think he cost for Monster is about the same as what Rick was asking for exclusive sponsor for Junior. 30 Million.

I thought this was the plan all along, since there was no room at the Inn, the 77 team was created as a holding spot for Jones till JGR could make room for him, so what I am saying, not surprised that Jones is going to the 20 , as that was the plan all along.

Yes^^^^ end of discussion!!! Thought this was common knowledge.

Gave you dislikers plenty to giggle about.

It has been interesting reading the statements and opinions of some on this and other threads. Joe Gibbs is the Antichrist, JGR is the axis of evil, the war ended in the 1940's and grudges are still held, the Nielsen ratings are not to be trusted but hits to websites are, viewers that stream make up for viewers lost, Carl Edwards didn't retire voluntarily but jumped ship before he was stabbed in the back and Matt Kenseth is being treated unfairly. If it wasn't so sad it would be really funny.

When does hamlins contract end? He will be gone next replaced by bell

IDK Hamlin seems to me to fit right in with that bunch. Joe has admitted his love for Denny..oh wait

I hope that Jones can get a win in the 77 before he moves over to the 20 and hope he prospers in the 20 when he arrives at the mother ship. JGR has had a formidable lineup before but having Kyle, Denny, Daniel and Erik is a great mix of youth and experience and positions them well on the competitive side for years to come.

When you contrast JGR with what is going on at SHR it is night and day.

For all those who think FRR is a 5th and 6th team for JGR - you couldn't be more wrong. In fact Furniture Row and RCR worked more closely together than Furniture Row and JGR. Barney marches to the beat of his own drum. No one...and I mean NO ONE tells him what to do or how to do it. Certainly not JGR. He does what he believes is best. Sometimes it falls in line with what everyone else wants, sometimes it does not. But they are 100% autonomous. Remember when everyone joined the RTA except Furniture Row? If Barney thought there was value there, he would have joined. But he didn't see the upside, so he didn't join. That's how Barney rolls. (BTW, they're still not a member.)

Not quite. The 78 and 77 are 100% Go Jibbs racing anyway.
Your dead wrong there. I will admit the 77 was created partly for JGR and they supplied the team.
However the 78 was running long before Toyota. It will be up to Toyota if they want to keep the
77 car running.

For all those who think FRR is a 5th and 6th team for JGR - you couldn't be more wrong. In fact Furniture Row and RCR worked more closely together than Furniture Row and JGR. Barney marches to the beat of his own drum. No one...and I mean NO ONE tells him what to do or how to do it. Certainly not JGR. He does what he believes is best. Sometimes it falls in line with what everyone else wants, sometimes it does not. But they are 100% autonomous. Remember when everyone joined the RTA except Furniture Row? If Barney thought there was value there, he would have joined. But he didn't see the upside, so he didn't join. That's how Barney rolls. (BTW, they're still not a member.)

That is good to know as the least amount of puppeteers you have trying to control you the better. I could certainly see why people would think FRR and JGR were closely aligned but not after this year as the 78 team has something(s) and they ain't sharing.

Your dead wrong there. I will admit the 77 was created partly for JGR and they supplied the team.
However the 78 was running long before Toyota. It will be up to Toyota if they want to keep the
77 car running.
I'll take what you wrote a step further: 77 wasn't created at all for JGR...it was created at TRD's request. The only reason the 77 might disappear next season is because there's no one TRD wants to put in a long term ride. If Bell races Xfinity next season and crushes it, I could see the 77 coming back for him (assuming JGR is full, and MTJ is still winning). But there's no reason to keep the 77 on the track in '18 just for the sake of having it out there with a retread/veteran. No reason at all. Most assumed Suarez would be in the '18 next season for a few years. But Carl's retirement really changed many plans.

Yeah I thought they got rid of factories hiring and firing involvement long ago. But I noticed Chase Briscoe on Kez's truck team sounded like Ford put him in the spot. At the very least they made it awful appetizing it sounded like.

But they are 100% autonomous. Remember when everyone joined the RTA except Furniture Row? If Barney thought there was value there, he would have joined. But he didn't see the upside, so he didn't join. That's how Barney rolls. (BTW, they're still not a member.)
Thanks for posting that and I believe your 100% right. I will say the same for Penske and Hass to being their own man and make their own decisions.

I'll take what you wrote a step further: 77 wasn't created at all for JGR...it was created at TRD's request. The only reason the 77 might disappear next season is because there's no one TRD wants to put in a long term ride. If Bell races Xfinity next season and crushes it, I could see the 77 coming back for him (assuming JGR is full, and MTJ is still winning). But there's no reason to keep the 77 on the track in '18 just for the sake of having it out there with a retread/veteran. No reason at all. Most assumed Suarez would be in the '18 next season for a few years. But Carl's retirement really changed many plans.

YES people don't remember that barney said last year he would be VERY surprised if eric jones was in the car beyond this season. I ask what else do you think that could have meant last year? were they going to put jones in a BK car? I mean come on. for one thing I don't think its something other people wanted out there, barney may have let the cat out of the bag. But it told me JGR was going to move a driver. at the time your not letting hamlin, busch, or carl go. it said to me toyota wanted to keep eric jones from being hired by another team. I think what allenbada is saying and YES it lines up with the tea leaves is the 77 car was simply a car used to keep a toyota driver in the fold. The 77 isn't going to run again next year unless a situation emerges that toyota wants to keep another driver from being hired by a big name cup team. I personally think maybe at the time they thought that eric jones would run the 77 car and that suarez would take it next year if carl was still driving. Suarez has the financial backing I don't feel he is a "toyota" driver that the team sees as a must keep and would thus make a place for him somewhere. but by that time they might not have had to because suarez would bring the money with him. It would be interesting to know allenbada's take on my theory.

I think the better funded cup teams see something down the road. They see veterens leaving, They see rich kid ride buyers as their future unless they can move the people that deserve to be there up in time to get enough success to build sponsorship around them. That is why you see hendrick make a move on william byron. The best drivers will shine, but unless they get moved up quickly your left with ride buyers and maybe that is ok for a team or 2 on an organization. but you don't want to be the next RCR, with 2 ride buyers and an aging veteren on the team.

It is surprising how disposable kenseth has been from both roush and JGR, the guy is a champion. the only guy with more wins is JJ, I can tell you one thing, with the exception of maybe harvick and kyle busch and of course jimmie, and denny only cause he is younger. who else out there gives you the best chance to win? he not going to say anything stupid or have a crazy girl friend, I still think he has wins left in him.

YES people don't remember that barney said last year he would be VERY surprised if eric jones was in the car beyond this season. I ask what else do you think that could have meant last year? were they going to put jones in a BK car? I mean come on. for one thing I don't think its something other people wanted out there, barney may have let the cat out of the bag. But it told me JGR was going to move a driver. at the time your not letting hamlin, busch, or carl go. it said to me toyota wanted to keep eric jones from being hired by another team. I think what allenbada is saying and YES it lines up with the tea leaves is the 77 car was simply a car used to keep a toyota driver in the fold. The 77 isn't going to run again next year unless a situation emerges that toyota wants to keep another driver from being hired by a big name cup team. I personally think maybe at the time they thought that eric jones would run the 77 car and that suarez would take it next year if carl was still driving. Suarez has the financial backing I don't feel he is a "toyota" driver that the team sees as a must keep and would thus make a place for him somewhere. but by that time they might not have had to because suarez would bring the money with him. It would be interesting to know allenbada's take on my theory.

I think the better funded cup teams see something down the road. They see veterens leaving, They see rich kid ride buyers as their future unless they can move the people that deserve to be there up in time to get enough success to build sponsorship around them. That is why you see hendrick make a move on william byron. The best drivers will shine, but unless they get moved up quickly your left with ride buyers and maybe that is ok for a team or 2 on an organization. but you don't want to be the next RCR, with 2 ride buyers and an aging veteren on the team.

It is surprising how disposable kenseth has been from both roush and JGR, the guy is a champion. the only guy with more wins is JJ, I can tell you one thing, with the exception of maybe harvick and kyle busch and of course jimmie, and denny only cause he is younger. who else out there gives you the best chance to win? he not going to say anything stupid or have a crazy girl friend, I still think he has wins left in him.

As far as I remember Roush dilly dallied around signing Matt and JGR came calling and he jumped.

77 car running.
there is no way nascar goes to anyone's shop and see whats going on. Every 78 car can be a go jibbs team, how would anyone know? A single car team has enough room to be 2 teams over night. really, I mean really? and then dominate? is there a VIN on each car to track it? There is no way a 17th place car that switches brands goes from 17th to 1st. i aint buying it and neither do alot of people. "Association" my ass, explain association? explain any nascar decision in the last 10 years. Nascar does everything for ratings and sponsors and if they takes toyoders money ( which they love) just to get some new blood up front, well? 100% go jibbs racing and by the way I like Martin Truex, he's the only toyoder I like.

there is no way nascar goes to anyone's shop and see whats going on. Every 78 car can be a go jibbs team, how would anyone know? A single car team has enough room to be 2 teams over night. really, I mean really? and then dominate? is there a VIN on each car to track it? There is no way a 17th place car that switches brands goes from 17th to 1st. i aint buying it and neither do alot of people. "Association" my ass, explain association? explain any nascar decision in the last 10 years. Nascar does everything for ratings and sponsors and if they takes toyoders money ( which they love) just to get some new blood up front, well? 100% go jibbs racing and by the way I like Martin Truex, he's the only toyoder I like.

You do realize there's about 2000 miles between the Gibbs shop and Furniture Row shop, right?

Also, what's so hard to believe about a team getting better when they switch manufacturers? Look what happened to Sterling Marlin's 40 team the moment they switched to Dodge

You do realize there's about 2000 miles between the Gibbs shop and Furniture Row shop, right?

Also, what's so hard to believe about a team getting better when they switch manufacturers? Look what happened to Sterling Marlin's 40 team the moment they switched to Dodge

Actually Sterling had some of his best years in the Coors Dodge and Jamie McMurray won in the darn thing.

Back
Top Bottom