F1 2020 News/Misc.

So, Sainz might be the guy to replace Vettel?

I thought of Sainz, but I was joking.

I'm not sure if it's 100% atm. He would be a good second gunner and comes at a cheaper price, for sure. Sainz came in P6 last year though, he might trending upwards. Comes with sponsors as well, so we will see if he's bringing 55 to Ferrari.

Well I hope Seb just really goes for it in 2020. Go really deep in every turn and squeeze through
every crack. I am surprised they announced already but its getting time to make these announcements.
I think they try to get these things done by the (old) Aug. break if not before. Be great to see him come do
some Indy dates in 2021.
I'm not really surprised they announced it so early. Usually they are busy racing and traveling a lot but these days everybody has a lot of free time on their hands.

Sainz would be an interesting choice as well. I was kind of hoping Alonso would return to McLaren or Renault, though.
I think Alonso's done altogether, if he comes back to Renault for a third time, I'm not sure what to think at that point.

You've got Guanyu Zhou who is quickly developing in F2, if he comes out of the gates swinging in F2, I doubt they would go out and sign a high price person like Alonso. I'm not sure who Renault goes after, I'm honestly over Alonso being in the F1 field.

What in the hell?

I'm not sure of McClure's accuracy, but damn what a move on McLaren's part if true.

Cyril's comments:
Renault F1 managing director Abiteboul made no reference to Ricciardo in his quote with the announcement, instead moving to highlight the value of loyalty for the team moving forward.

"In our sport, and particularly within the current extraordinary situation, reciprocated confidence, unity and commitment are, more than ever, critical values for a works team," Abiteboul said.

Vettel to Renault? I can't imagine it, I'm over Alonso at this point. I'd like to see him stay away from F1, does Renault think he can help propel them? Especially after the reliability issues they have have had... Renault has a lot of work to do.

Vettel to Renault? I can't imagine it, I'm over Alonso at this point. I'd like to see him stay away from F1, does Renault think he can help propel them? Especially after the reliability issues they have have had... Renault has a lot of work to do.

Isn't Renault like on it's last legs? Not even selling their engines to anyone. Terrible racing program, etc.

Me thinks at this stage in Vettel's racing career he's looking for something that can compete. The trial and errors are long behind him.

Isn't Renault like on it's last legs? Not even selling their engines to anyone. Terrible racing program, etc.

Me thinks at this stage in Vettel's racing career he's looking for something that can compete. The trial and errors are long behind him.
Getting Alonso is desperation to me.

Renault says they are committed to F1, honestly maybe supplying their team alone may help them iron out mechanical issues.

I agree, Vettel will not have the patience and Merc is probably his only opportunity. I just do not see Vettel calling it quits just yet though, I'm not sold this will be his "last" season.

I still cannot believe Riccardo and Norris will be on the same team.

I think I will hold off buying a Renault shirt then. I thought Danny would see Renault through, but I forgot he had a "multi-year" deal. It will be fun to watch those two, I think McLaren will be back on the podium on a consistent basis come 2020 onwards. Sainz and Norris should be able to get there.

Oh and Mercedes engines start for McLaren in 2021... Whew, they might be a major problem.

In all likelihood this season will conclude with Ferrari having fielded cars for Alonso and Vettel over 11 consecutive years with 0 titles of any kind to show for it. Amazing.

I like Sainz a lot and think he has a lot of potential (and hope he makes Red Bull look poorly for letting him walk), but I’m wary of how it’ll play out when they try to cast him as Leclerc’s wingman and he winds up being competitive.

Ricciardo/Norris is a great pairing. McLaren keep making good moves and good progress.

It’s hard for me to see Seb working at Mercedes or Red Bull but I can’t see him taking a midfield ride like Kimi either. Maybe he goes on “hiatus”?

Alonso is a troll. He’d be miserable at Renault.

In all likelihood this season will conclude with Ferrari having fielded cars for Alonso and Vettel over 11 consecutive years with 0 titles of any kind to show for it. Amazing.

I like Sainz a lot and think he has a lot of potential (and hope he makes Red Bull look poorly for letting him walk), but I’m wary of how it’ll play out when they try to cast him as Leclerc’s wingman and he winds up being competitive.

Ricciardo/Norris is a great pairing. McLaren keep making good moves and good progress.

It’s hard for me to see Seb working at Mercedes or Red Bull but I can’t see him taking a midfield ride like Kimi either. Maybe he goes on “hiatus”?

Alonso is a troll. He’d be miserable at Renault.
Those 2008 and 2009 seasons...

2009 especially was a rough one, why Renault would sign him is beyond silly at this point. Not to mention going back a THIRD time to Enstone? Nah.

Give me Zhou and Ocon for 2021, a young pairing with a ton of upside.

Pending government approval it looks like we will have Silverstone July 26 and August 2, and we also have Spa August 30.

At the very least we may have two races at Austria and two races at Silverstone in the span of a month or so to kick off the season.

Bro I'm glad you're alive. Thought we lost you due to CoraSantis.

Bro I'm glad you're alive. Thought we lost you due to CoraSantis.
Lmao

Had to take a break from here and social media in general for a little bit. I had some urgent stuff to prioritize at work too but it looks like it’s winding down for a bit again, thank god.

Take advantage of this time to get used to Monaco and Indy not being on the same weekend. At least in 2021, the GP will be one weekend before the 500.

The teams agreed to a budget cap that will be $145M in 2021, $140M in 2022, $135M from 2023-2035. A pretty significant slash, for sure, even from the previously-proposed $175M. Where it gets goofy, IMO, is with wind tunnel/CFD time being allocated based upon the previous season's constructor championship. Could there be midfield/lower tier teams tanking in the bank half of the season to get themselves more wind tunnel hours the next year?

Also included in the agreement is that teams will race their 2020 cars in 2021 as well.

The British races may not be able to go on as previously proposed due to not getting a quarantine exemption from the UK government. Could have an impact on scheduling down the road with regard to flyaway personnel.

The British races may not be able to go on as previously proposed due to not getting a quarantine exemption from the UK government. Could have an impact on scheduling down the road with regard to flyaway personnel.

The balls on the UK government!!

Caring too much about their citizens. What a novel idea. A shame F1 is not based out of the US otherwise, they could be racing right now. Amirite Trump?

The balls on the UK government!!

Caring too much about their citizens. What a novel idea. A shame F1 is not based out of the US otherwise, they could be racing right now. Amirite Trump?
The teams make money by racing.

NASCAR had a lot to gain by the timing of the move, its risky, but it had to be done. It would have been helpful if they were allowed to race at Silverstone twice, kudos to the UK government by saying no though. If they felt as if they are not comfortable yet, this is the right move.

We have cost capping in F1.

That is not to say teams won't hand out perks under the table. Right?

I think this is the obvious right thing to do. All sports should have a cap limit.

That is not to say teams won't hand out perks under the table. Right?

I think this is the obvious right thing to do. All sports should have a cap limit.
There will be a number of exceptions to the cap, including the costs of the three highest-paid personnel, drivers, employee bonuses up to an amount, medical benefits, maternity/paternity/sick leave, and several other items. But between the Cost Cap Administration and employing the use of external auditors if deemed necessary, it should put more pressure on those who might actually be willing to spend above the cap - Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull - to report things properly and fairly. Most teams won't want to spend excessively to begin with and the amount of personnel turnover within F1 will keep teams honest to an extent too. It won't be perfect but it's a large step in the right direction.

The article quoted below is from F1 Insider. It seems to be an English translation of the Autobild article quoted by Adam Stern as his source for the tweet shown above. I'm not familiar with F1 Insider. Might it be an English language offshoot of Autobild?

EXCLUSIVE! MERCEDES FUTURE: WOLFF TO LEAVE CHIEF ROLE, BUT …
The puzzle pieces for the Formula 1 future of Mercedes are falling. Team boss Toto Wolff will resign after his contract has expired. The future of Mercedes’ F1 team is in the making

The future of Mercedes in Formula 1 is being lashed behind the scenes. One piece of the puzzle fell in the process: As F1-Insider.com has learned exclusively, team boss Toto Wolff will resign from his operational role at the head of the factory team after the end of his contract and switch to the team’s supervisory board.

According to our information, it is not yet clear who will become his successor. Wolff had recently indicated that he was thinking about his role in the team: “It’s not just about whether I am now extending my contract as team leader, but what we are going to do with this joint company.”

The Viennese now owns 30 percent of the shares in the Mercedes factory team, the rest is owned by the Daimler group. Mercedes has recently repeatedly committed itself to F1. In no contradiction to this: According to F1-Insider-information, Wolff and his friend Lawrence Stroll are set to take over even more shares. That would also mean the end of the Mercedes-worksteam as it is now.

The Canadian billionaire has held a 25 percent stake in British car maker Aston Martin, which Wolff also owns, since the beginning of the year. A Tuesday staffing could outline a possible route. Ex-AMG boss Tobias Moers was officially announced as the new boss of Aston Martin. Moers is one of the closest confidants of Daimler CEO Ola Källenius. With the help of Mercedes and AMG technology, the he is supposed to get the traditional British brand back on track and compete with Ferrari.

An exchange transaction is could come into play so that Daimler, which previously owns five percent of the traditional English brand, can increase its stake in Aston Martin. The idea that is being discussed in the scene: Daimler receives Stroll’s Aston Martin shares in return for shares in the Formula 1 team. This means: Stroll and Wolff will be the majority owners of the F1-team.

Mercedes could kill two birds with one stone: Get out of F1 as the majority owner of the team and thus also meet the corona-related financial challenges in the automotive industry without having to fire employees of the Formula 1 factory in Brackley. The then Stroll team could even continue as a Mercedes factory team.

This goes with current statements by Mercedes spokesmen that Daimler’s “clear intention is to continue as a Mercedes-Benz factory team in Formula 1.” A specific request from F1-Insider.com about Wolff’s future role remained unanswered.

What would happen to Stroll’s Formula 1 team Racing Point (from 2021 as Aston Martin) remains unclear. It is quite possible that it will be used as a B team. A merger with the ex-Mercedes factory team or a sale are also conceivable.

One thing is certain: the teams have to refinance themselves. Mercedes, Stroll, Wolff and Aston Martin put the new budget ceiling of 145 million euros from 2020 and the developments towards more financial sustainability in Formula 1 into the cards. Even more: Insiders believe that this will even make money in the future – even with two teams.

The article quoted below is from F1 Insider. It seems to be an English translation of the Autobild article quoted by Adam Stern as his source for the tweet shown above. I'm not familiar with F1 Insider. Might it be an English language offshoot of Autobild?

Apparently the site is owned by a Journalist who also writes articles for Auto Bild.
It doesn't sound like shutting down the F1 team is being discussed, it may change ownership but it would still be the Mercedes factory team.

Apparently the site is owned by a Journalist who also writes articles for Auto Bild.
It doesn't sound like shutting down the F1 team is being discussed, it may change ownership but it would still be the Mercedes factory team.
Certainly not closing the team, but this report suggests Mercedes will sell it off. It sounds to me like a return to the business structure pre-2011, when Mercedes was an engine supplier but not a chassis builder nor a race team. In those days, Mercedes was simply an engine supplier. McLaren was their lead engine customer... involved in testing/development and first customer to receive engine upgrades. Maybe that arrangement is anticipated with the Brackley-based team going forward under Wolff/Stroll ownership?

I guess it's a question of what is meant by the term "factory team." Some teams are true factory teams, like Ferrari, and others are "sponsored by a factory" like Alfa Romeo. And others are in between these two extremes.

Stroll and Wolff become majority shareholders in the Brackley-based team...to run with Aston Martin branding and Mercedes engines. Daimler rid themselves of the costs of running a factory F1 team while maintaining a significant presence in the sport, and gaining a majority of Aston Martin Lagonda. Stroll sells the Racing Point team in addition...Dmitry Mazepin, maybe?

“Options being considered include, but are not limited to, raising new capital for the business, a divestment of a minority stake in WGPH, or a divestment of a majority stake in WGPH including a potential sale of the whole Company.

“Whilst no decisions have been made regarding the optimal outcome yet, to facilitate discussions with interested parties, the Company announces the commencement of a ‘formal sale process’.”

Back
Top Bottom