F1 2020 News/Misc.

Damnit. Ugh.

I'm curious how that works. First test was inconclusive but the second one confirmed as positive?

Maybe it's a situation of oh **** this is a positive test but we'll test again for reassurance purposes. Or did the person that gives the test messed up somehow? All interesting stuff.

Do F1 teams have and bring back up cars? How many cars does a team usually have for the season?
Thanks!

Do F1 teams have and bring back up cars? How many cars does a team usually have for the season?
Thanks!
They used to have back up cars years ago.
At Spa in 1998, half the field crashed on lap one and most of the drivers restarted with backup cars after the red flag.
I don't know if the number of chassis a team can use is limited but engine components can only be changed two or three times a year. Drivers can grid penalties when they exceed that limit.

Thanks!
They got rid of fully-prepped spare cars a while ago. Now you have a bunch of spare parts in case you need to build a car back up or repair the car, like Red Bull had to do last week when Verstappen wrecked on the install lap or earlier this weekend when Renault found a hairline fracture in Ricciardo's chassis and had to stay overnight building up a new chassis.

I don't know how many cars teams got through a year but it's probably not more than a handful. Depends on budget and points battles a lot I think.

They used to have back up cars years ago.
At Spa in 1998, half the field crashed on lap one and most of the drivers restarted with backup cars after the red flag.
I don't know if the number of chassis a team can use is limited but engine components can only be changed two or three times a year. Drivers can grid penalties when they exceed that limit.
Thank you

They got rid of fully-prepped spare cars a while ago. Now you have a bunch of spare parts in case you need to build a car back up or repair the car, like Red Bull had to do last week when Verstappen wrecked on the install lap or earlier this weekend when Renault found a hairline fracture in Ricciardo's chassis and had to stay overnight building up a new chassis.

I don't know how many cars teams got through a year but it's probably not more than a handful. Depends on budget and points battles a lot I think.
So they have spare parts enough that if they had to build another car, they essentially could? Chassis and all? That’s crazy....thank u too

Bottas back in for Mercedes in 21. Cant fault them, he’s been the perfect teammate in every way

I'm really hoping Russell isn't going the way of Wehrlein in regards to being stuck in a back-marker and forgotten about. Mercedes doesn't have the best track record with their junior program and it would be a shame to not see how Russell could compete in the works team. The good thing for Russell is that he's carrying that Williams to good results, especially in qualifying.

I'm really hoping Russell isn't going the way of Wehrlein in regards to being stuck in a back-marker and forgotten about. Mercedes doesn't have the best track record with their junior program and it would be a shame to not see how Russell could compete in the works team. The good thing for Russell is that he's carrying that Williams to good results, especially in qualifying.
I think Georgie can get Williams back into the points IF Williams can get their act together. Maybe maybe contend for podiums when the new regulations hit and then can take over Hamilton's seat when he inevitably retires. Then Mercedes can build around Georgie, hes still young enough to hang around Williams for a few years but I can understand the concerns.

Rumors are circulating thar Vettel has signed with Aston Martin, just waiting on the announcement.

Just putting it out there, nothing is confirmed as of yet.

Waiting on COMUNICADO OFICIAL before getting too excited, but if it’s true I take it the hearing this week went well for Racing Point and Seb will have a good piece next year.

I really hope Checo can land something decent though. Or at least grab some podiums down the stretch.

3 years would be longer than I expected too.

Waiting on COMUNICADO OFICIAL before getting too excited, but if it’s true I take it the hearing this week went well for Racing Point and Seb will have a good piece next year.

I really hope Checo can land something decent though. Or at least grab some podiums down the stretch.

3 years would be longer than I expected too.
Renault could be a spot, but I really want to see him at Haas to help get some of that pressure off of Gene's neck.

I came across a story were F1 penalized a team for copying a brake duct design.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/53693249

I don't understand how a racing component design is essentially patented. How many ways can a brake duct be designed? It sounds like there are a number of part designs that are protected.

I take it the hearing this week went well for Racing Point and Seb will have a good piece next year.

Or not. Car brake ducts deemed illegal and penalized 400 thousand euros and ducked 15 points in the constructors championship.

Interesting to see what they do to Mercedes if anything at all.

I came across a story were F1 penalized a team for copying a brake duct design.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/53693249

I don't understand how a racing component design is essentially patented. How many ways can a brake duct be designed? It sounds like there are a number of part designs that are protected.
Brakes can vary a lot between teams. Racing Point got caught because the CAD models from Mercedes were directly used to design the rear brake ducts on the Racing Point. The internals had to have been very similar, different than if they were only photographing the car and using those to incorporate into their design.

Or not. Car brake ducts deemed illegal and penalized 400 thousand euros and ducked 15 points in the constructors championship.

Interesting to see what they do to Mercedes if anything at all.
Pretty light considering they can keep running the same car the rest of the year. Understandable they can't redesign the brakes in the middle of the season, but 15 points for that isn't much. Basically half of the field is protesting the punishment now. Meanwhile RP think they got hit too heavily lol.

rumor from some finnish f1 sources say Vettel out soon, Kimi back in the Ferrari. Would assume this mean Kubica would fill in at Alfa as i dont think vettel would swap.

Some more stupid questions:
Are team cars considered equal? Or is the yellow bar car deemed more of a support car for the “main”?

When a car retires, I see team member using what looks like a blower into side ducts and other places on the car. Is it a blower and why? I don’t see people doing it to the top 3 at the end?

Thank you

Some more stupid questions:
Are team cars considered equal? Or is the yellow bar car deemed more of a support car for the “main”?

When a car retires, I see team member using what looks like a blower into side ducts and other places on the car. Is it a blower and why? I don’t see people doing it to the top 3 at the end?

Thank you
The yellow T-bar is to distinguish between the two cars more than a designation of #1 and #2 drivers. It certainly can be used that way, but there’s no real rhyme or reason other than to differentiate between drivers as the only other way is helmet and car number, which can be hard to pick out at speed.

Those are basically big leaf blowers to cool the brakes and maybe other components while the car is still on but not moving, as those parts can overheat when not slicing through air.

The yellow T-bar is to distinguish between the two cars more than a designation of #1 and #2 drivers. It certainly can be used that way, but there’s no real rhyme or reason other than to differentiate between drivers as the only other way is helmet and car number, which can be hard to pick out at speed.

Those are basically big leaf blowers to cool the brakes and maybe other components while the car is still on but not moving, as those parts can overheat when not slicing through air.
Thank you! From a newbie perspective it usually appears the senior driver gets the black T-Bar so kinda appears like there is some differentiation going on other than just optics. I wonder if Leclerc will still be sporting yellow next year?
As to the blowers they are using them usually while they are backing the car back into the garage after retiring the car? I wouldn’t think the engine would be running then? Thanks for the patience. Really growing interested in this form of racing.....

By the time you are actually in Formula One, you have so many millions invested that you can't afford to get out. You might be able to sell your team, but you'de lose you butt on that too. It's not like there are a lot of privateers willing to drop $200 million to compete for the back row.

Thank you! From a newbie perspective it usually appears the senior driver gets the black T-Bar so kinda appears like there is some differentiation going on other than just optics. I wonder if Leclerc will still be sporting yellow next year?
As to the blowers they are using them usually while they are backing the car back into the garage after retiring the car? I wouldn’t think the engine would be running then? Thanks for the patience. Really growing interested in this form of racing.....
My guess is the car is usually hotter being driven straight into the pit and put on the rolling jack and isn’t fully off until it’s wheeled back into the garage. Also probably something about not being able to bring equipment to the podium area.

Concorde Agreement has been signed by all:

It's good to hear that the money side has been agreed by all. Are there any credible plans to improve the racing side of the equation? I think we get the spending cap next year, unless I missed something. But the formula is way out of whack for creating actual on-track racing... IMO.

It's good to hear that the money side has been agreed by all. Are there any credible plans to improve the racing side of the equation? I think we get the spending cap next year, unless I missed something. But the formula is way out of whack for creating actual on-track racing... IMO.
New regulations were postponed from 2021 to 2022

I wonder how they can possibly enforce a budget cap. I mean, it's a good idea, but if you don't have access to a tams books how do you know what they are spending?

It would also be interesting to know if the drive's salary is included in that.

Driver's salary is not included.

I think $20-40 million is a bit excessive. If you capped it at $5 mill or even $10 mil, you'de still have more drivers wanting in than you'de know what to do with. We're trying to cut costs, right?

Of course, all this flies in the face of capitalism. Not sure how I feel about that.

I wonder how they can possibly enforce a budget cap. I mean, it's a good idea, but if you don't have access to a tams books how do you know what they are spending?

It would also be interesting to know if the drive's salary is included in that.
They have to submit interim and annual reports to the cost cap administration/adjudication team along with an assessment from the same audit firm who audits the team’s annual financials. The cost cap administration group also has the power to engage an audit firm to review the team’s reporting.

Back
Top Bottom