F1 2023 News/Misc.

Ricciardo winding up back at Red Bull in 2024 would make complete a bizarre career cycle, and probably make for one of the more memorable cases of failing upwards given how he flamed out at McLaren.

Which kind of makes the "drivers" championship a bit of a joke.
That’s every championship, just to a greater extent in F1. Josef Newgarden and Kyle Larson weren’t going to win championships until they moved on from ECR and CGR.

In a way, look at the run that Schumaker and Hamilton had, and now Max, unless the new upcoming regulations derail the car's advantage.
Newey says "bring it on." No matter what they do with the rules, Newey is always a step ahead.

That’s every championship, just to a greater extent in F1. Josef Newgarden and Kyle Larson weren’t going to win championships until they moved on from ECR and CGR.

No but they could and DID win races with less than top tier equipment. Williams has a 0% chance of winning a race this season while an underfunded NASCAR or Indycar team has some kind of mathematical shot.

I love F1 but it is certainly wayyyyy to focused on the car.

Horner said Ric's tire test times would've been good enough to place it in the front row.

I think they want Checo out of that second seat as soon as possible. Giving Ricciardo the rest of the year to get even in more racing form bodes very bad for Checo in 2024.

Yawn, can't see any performance upgrade with DR behind the wheel.
Daniel brings experience, and he's probably in the Alpha Tauri sim as we speak. He's sure going to be better at developing the car than the guy he's replacing.

However, if Ricciardo can't make the most of this, he had better start trolling the WEC paddock.

Where this leave Devries will probably be WEC too. There's no shame in that because only the top 20 guys make it to F1 anyway. WEC provides a good place to stay in racing and draw a check.

No but they could and DID win races with less than top tier equipment. Williams has a 0% chance of winning a race this season while an underfunded NASCAR or Indycar team has some kind of mathematical shot.

I love F1 but it is certainly wayyyyy to focused on the car.
F1 is the be all to end all of all racing and so far they have made it work. They are marketing F1 to fans of every aspect of the sport, though the domination sort of undermines that part when it comes to competition....at the very front anyway.

Today is different from when we only had the telecasts and there was no social media. Now people expect a blood and guts fight to the death every race, but it ain't happening with such diverse equipment.

Let's stir it up a bit. Red Bull has swapped drivers with Alpha Tauri before. This puts Sergio on the hot seat.

I love F1 but it is certainly wayyyyy too focused on the car.
That’s kinda the whole point and history of F1. There are about a zillion other series out there that run kit cars, spec cars, BoP, etc.

With the current regulation set there are more transferable and common supply components than ever anyways, and that’ll only continue in 2026. The qualifying spreads are more condensed and if one single guy would **** off there'd be five different winners already.

There were four different cars on the podium all of last year. We’re at halfway this season with six different cars on the podium so far. The field usually tightens up as a regs cycle gets older, and with the sliding scale on wind tunnel runs and CFD items things are already getting tighter.

You just can’t regulate against Max’s talent and the CFD Newey does in his own head.

There were four different cars on the podium all of last year. We’re at halfway this season with six different cars on the podium so far. The field usually tightens up as a regs cycle gets older, and with the sliding scale on wind tunnel runs and CFD items things are already getting tighter.

You just can’t regulate against Max’s talent and the CFD Newey does in his own head.
I still enjoy watching the manufacturers battle it out.

That’s kinda the whole point and history of F1. There are about a zillion other series out there that run kit cars, spec cars, BoP, etc.

Remember the times when the DFV was the engine to have? F1 cars with those engines were often called kit cars.

It can't b a mystery that a spec series with all the cars roughly equal is more competitive than one were they burn so much money to have "different" cars. Indycar fans wail all day about the spec aspect, but the racing is the answer to that.

With the current regulation set there are more transferable and common supply components than ever anyways, and that’ll only continue in 2026. The qualifying spreads are more condensed and if one single guy would **** off there'd be five different winners already.
If they are going to continue the tire farce, it's more about playing the game than anyone else. Right now Red Bull has their deg figured out and are leaving everyone in the dust.

I think the answer is to have Pirelli build the best tire they could, without mandated deg and mandated compounds. This works so well for Michelin in WEC that there is not much telecast pollution over tires. F1 though seems to think tires are sexy because that's about all they talk about.

If they are going to continue the tire farce, it's more about playing the game than anyone else. Right now Red Bull has their deg figured out and are leaving everyone in the dust.

I think the answer is to have Pirelli build the best tire they could, without mandated deg and mandated compounds. This works so well for Michelin in WEC that there is not much telecast pollution over tires. F1 though seems to think tires are sexy because that's about all they talk about.
The racing in 2011-12 where they had to stop 3-4 times during a race was fantastic. The driver can make more of a difference having to manage tires without losing too much speed.

The racing in 2011-12 where they had to stop 3-4 times during a race was fantastic. The driver can make more of a difference having to manage tires without losing too much speed.
In the deep past, making a tire last a whole race was part of the skill set. Now they just burn stuff up and talk about sustainability.

One thing you could not do before the tire roulette game was under or overcut. You had to race for it.

Who know if there is some fan fiction going on here or what, Idk much about the source, but it sounds interesting. Supposedly, Liberty are pushing the top teams to pit top drivers together in 2025/2026 to help strengthen “the show”. Also, the new CEO of Red Bull’s sports group has a greater desire to pit two strong drivers together than Mateschitz did. Red Bull supposedly reached out to Leclerc in late May to gauge interest. His contract with Ferrari expires at the end of 2024, aligning with the end of Checo’s contract. They’re also said to have reached out to Lando (expires with McLaren at the end of 2025).

I was so hoping that old man Alonzo would sneak in a win this year. At the beginning of the season I was optimistic that with some attrition that it could happen. But it is looking less likely to happen now.

I was so hoping that old man Alonzo would sneak in a win this year. At the beginning of the season I was optimistic that with some attrition that it could happen. But it is looking less likely to happen now.
They haven’t looked so great the last two weekends but it was only three races ago he finished 2nd. I wouldn’t rule anything out, it figures Max has to have some misfortune at some point and Checo doesn’t look like he’s ready to take advantage at the moment.

There’s never been a team with a perfect season and with 22 races I don’t think it happens this year.

Provisional 2024 schedule, not a lot of changes from this year. China is once again back on the schedule, Baku and Suzuka swap dates, Bahrain and Jeddah will both be run on Saturday.
IMG_20230710_214653.jpg

Let's go Audi ...

Last week Audi confirmed the widespread rumor that they’re reducing their sports car programs to effectively nothing starting next year, and a lot of people within company are supposedly pissed about it. I think they dropped the Dakar program too. As far as sport goes, they’re all-in on F1.

I have a lot of doubts about these manufacturers who’ve already committed wholly to an electric future. 2033 is not that far away as far as going to 100% EV production goes. The EU recently has not been as hell-bent on everything going EV with the development of sustainable fuels.

Last week Audi confirmed the widespread rumor that they’re reducing their sports car programs to effectively nothing starting next year, and a lot of people within company are supposedly pissed about it. I think they dropped the Dakar program too. As far as sport goes, they’re all-in on F1.

I have a lot of doubts about these manufacturers who’ve already committed wholly to an electric future. 2033 is not that far away as far as going to 100% EV production goes. The EU recently has not been as hell-bent on everything going EV with the development of sustainable fuels.
I could see this decision being reversed. The sole focus on F1 was a project of outgoing Audi CEO Markus Duesmann who will be replaced September 1.
Duesmann had come under fire for a variety of issues including setting a definitive end date for ICE vehicle sales even though EV sales targets weren't met, publicly supporting "car-free" Sundays and mandatory gender-language for employees.

3 teams are said to have breached the cost cap for 2022.

3 teams are said to have breached the cost cap for 2022.
It’s kinda ridiculous they can’t keep the rumors/leaks about this **** in check. Why is stuff spreading before the reports come out?

Also, I read they had three auditors for the 2021 audits, expanded to ten for the 2022 audits. Can’t believe they thought three was enough initially.

It’s kinda ridiculous they can’t keep the rumors/leaks about this **** in check.
The whole cost cap thing is a marvelous idea, but it's not implemented very well. We've already had two or three breaches and now we're going to get 3 more? Good times. The internet will be on fire!

I like the cost cap idea, but the only way to be sure is install an FIA accountant in every team. Teams will cheat the cap any way they can, so give them a big brother.

The whole cost cap thing is a marvelous idea, but it's not implemented very well. We've already had two or three breaches and now we're going to get 3 more? Good times. The internet will be on fire!

I like the cost cap idea, but the only way to be sure is install an FIA accountant in every team. Teams will cheat the cap any way they can, so give them a big brother.
If there are repeat offenders - and it sounds like there could be - they should drop the hammer. So far most of the teams have followed the rules and the grid has tightened up as a result, but if someone keeps trying to push the envelope they should make an example out of them.

If there are repeat offenders - and it sounds like there could be - they should drop the hammer. So far most of the teams have followed the rules and the grid has tightened up as a result, but if someone keeps trying to push the envelope they should make an example out of them.
Any team that breaks the rules cap should be forced to run a zeropod for the next two seasons.

Shut up, Ralf.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mo...p&cvid=59b105ada82748fe9cdcce266382ecd6&ei=10

Engine equalization will be discussed at the FIA F1 Commission meetings this week. Alpine are rumored to be as much as 30 HP down on the competition and the engines are frozen through 2025, at the time to help Red Bull continue to run Honda power after their withdrawal from the sport. Reliability upgrades are allowed but no substantial performance development.

Back
Top Bottom