F1 2023 News/Misc.

The fastest time in practice two was 2.2 seconds faster than the fastest time in practice one. Some rubber on track makes quite a difference, especially on a race track that's only used once a year.
They also repaved the whole thing after last year’s complaints about the track surface. Lots of track evolution to come over the weekend.

Gasly out of the frying pan and into the ...... Or jumping the Summit Venture to board theTitanic.

Here's what I was talking about with Ralf: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...p&cvid=24b962453290460d87cb8a3d42ced147&ei=74

It's everyone's fault but Mick's. You might think Ralf would instead praise Mercedes for picking Ralf up, rescuing his career and actually giving him a shot at a future in a good car, but Ralf just wants to hold onto old grudges. I honestly can't remember Ralf saying anything good about anybody except his nephew.

I've seen this before, especially on the internet. Some people think being negative makes them look smart, when all it really does is make them look negative. Fortunately, this forum is not infected with that mindset. It's not hard to see what Ralf forms his opinions from. He sees everything through the prism of anyone who didn't hire Mick is wrong and all the other drivers are less worthy.

I'm not sure a pundit can be objective when a family member is involved, so I usually read about half of what Ralf says and can't go any further because my BS meter drones the rest out.

Mick did underperform at Haas to an extent. He cost the team a lot of money with massive crashes at Jeddah and Monaco, set the team back as well. Made mistakes at Miami, but at the same time did get screwed over by Haas strategies.

However, I think him leaving Haas and the FDA will help him. It's just will he ever get the opportunity again? We shall see, but I think it boils down to Audi coming into the fold or will Mick take over at a Merc engined backed team?

Looks like Nyck De vries time at AT is in peril.

Marko already handing down ultimatums. This time, I don’t think I blame him. De vries has been a total let down. He’s not performing or even keeping out of trouble. It’s always something.

Ricciardo has a seat fitting at Alpha Tauri, because he is a reserve there too. That's what started all this, but Marko doubled down today. This Red Bull driver program is brutal.

It wouldn’t cost Red Bull too much to get rid of De Vries, they just needed someone in the interim after Gasly left. Iwasa and Lawson are looking like good options for that seat.

It wouldn’t cost Red Bull too much to get rid of De Vries, they just needed someone in the interim after Gasly left. Iwasa and Lawson are looking like good options for that seat.
Lawson will probably get the nod, Iwasa needs a little more time and with Yuki's form. I see no point of rushing Iwasa at all.

I agree that there's no shortage of Red Bull talent that could be put in the seat. The issue for me is more the signal it provides. Let's be realistic here - Tsunoda has not been that great in F1 to date. However, Tsunoda is Japanese, and the only Japanese driver on the grid. As such, he's marketable in a way De Vries isn't even if their first 5 races are pretty similar in terms of results. If you're someone like Lawson or Iwasa, getting one shot at F1 in a charitably called "midpack" car which may not suit your style and being told you've got 1/3 or 1/2 a season to produce or you're gonna need to find an LMP/Indycar ride on your own is not really that constructive and kinda a bad way to actually analyze talent.

That having been said, someone like De Vries being introduced to Indycar silly season is a net good for that series. He'll be considered an F1 reject by mouthbreathers, but so was Danny Sullivan according to most of them since he only managed to score points in a s#itbox that had an engine with a propensity to grenade.

Nyck is a very talented driver.

Just at times talent doesn't always equate to being great in F1. I think he would have been fantastic for Toyota's WEC program, hopefully it pans out for him in F1. I wanted to see him and Vandoorne give the MSR seat a go as well.

Nyck is a very talented driver.

Just at times talent doesn't always equate to being great in F1. I think he would have been fantastic for Toyota's WEC program, hopefully it pans out for him in F1. I wanted to see him and Vandoorne give the MSR seat a go as well.
A lot of seats will be available in a couple of years assuming the global economy isn't imploded on purpose by morons this summer. I think the many, many drivers who weren't able to get into F1 and found their careers stalling out in their early 20s with no prospects of the future should be able to find rides fairly easily and have hopefully full careers. Some will probably even get a second shot at F1 if the talent pool in F2 dries up a bit more.

To be clear, think Nyck should be given a chance this season to sort things out. I think it would be a bit much to can the guy after 8 races or something. But given his age and experience he was at least expected not to be so much of a mess so far. It’s not often someone gets their first opportunity at 28 anymore and I think the least you can do is bring the car home and not mess with your teammates, like when he ended Yuki’s race at Baku. He needs to turn it around but should be given the time to do so.

If not, there are definitely other forms of motorsport where he’s shined and could shine.

Imola Grand Prix literally on the verge of cancellation. Huge flooding in that part of Italy. And more rain is coming.

Maybe they can reschedule. It would be a shame to cancel it altogether. I was looking forward to the new Mercedes, but now that will have to wait until Monoco.

Maybe they can reschedule. It would be a shame to cancel it altogether. I was looking forward to the new Mercedes, but now that will have to wait until Monoco.
Unfortunately the schedule doesn't leave room to reschedule the race.

Why am I suddenly seeing a barrage of news about Hamilton going to Ferrari? 😅

Mercedes for how badly they’ve gotten their car, is in a better position to win again. Ferrari ain’t it. Lol

Why am I suddenly seeing a barrage of news about Hamilton going to Ferrari? 😅

Mercedes for how badly they’ve gotten their car, is in a better position to win again. Ferrari ain’t it. Lol

So even the Gazetta now? Umm

I don’t know how to feel about this.

So even the Gazetta now? Umm

I don’t know how to feel about this.

Lewis would lose his mind with Ferrari I think. Anything is possible I suppose, but Ferrari should have priorities other than driver lineup. Would seem like a lateral move at best if there’s any credibility to it.

That makes for works efforts from Mercedes, Ferrari, RBPT/Ford, Honda, Alpine/Renault, and Audi in 2026. That grid is going to be stacked.

It's funny how they announced they'd leave because Honda routinely leaves F1 after a few years and then almost immediately proceeded to realize the sport was beginning to boom in key markets and that exiting was a bad idea.

New pics going around the new Mercedes car. They got huge new sidepods now.

If the blurry pictures are anything to go by anyway.

It's funny how they announced they'd leave because Honda routinely leaves F1 after a few years and then almost immediately proceeded to realize the sport was beginning to boom in key markets and that exiting was a bad idea.
The CEO who made the ultimate decision to leave was only around for another six months or so. A change in leadership is always a game changer, for better or for worse, in racing. The new power regulations and fuel coming also seems to be enticing to them.

Interesting, I wonder if Honda will also power their street cars.
Mercedes are still invested in the road car company and build bespoke engines for Aston so I doubt that. Their road engines are also pretty big and Honda specializes in smaller stuff.

The road car company and F1 team don’t really have anything to do with each other anyways. It was pretty much a rebrand of Racing Point for marketing after Lawrence invested in the road car company.

Back
Top Bottom