F1 2023 News/Misc.

I have the link to the story, but when I post it here it doesn't work. Maybe google this:

Nico Hulkenberg advised to leave Haas ‘for any other F1 ****pit’​

According to todays issue of "Motorsport Aktuell" it is a done deal that a street circuit in Madrid will replace Barcelona as the venue for the Spanish GP from 2027 onwards.
Not a big fan of this, there are five street circuits on the schedule already (not counting Miami, Melbourne and Montreal) which is more than enough.

There is another project seeking to bring back the French GP with a street race in Nice which makes absolutely no sense since that's about five minutes from Monaco.

According to todays issue of "Motorsport Aktuell" it is a done deal that a street circuit in Madrid will replace Barcelona as the venue for the Spanish GP from 2027 onwards.
Not a big fan of this, there are five street circuits on the schedule already (not counting Miami, Melbourne and Montreal) which is more than enough.

There is another project seeking to bring back the French GP with a street race in Nice which makes absolutely no sense since that's about five minutes from Monaco.
Catalunya is nothing special but I’d keep it over another street race in Madrid.

I thought the whole Nice thing was to gain leverage over Monaco in negotiating a new contract more favorable to F1 a year or two ago. I’m surprised it’s actually under discussion. Where would it even take a date from?

I’d like to see Audi bring back a German race in 2026 since Mercedes won’t. Audi have actual F1 operations in Germany so maybe they’d be more inclined to do so.

I have the link to the story, but when I post it here it doesn't work. Maybe google this:

Nico Hulkenberg advised to leave Haas ‘for any other F1 ****pit’​

Because teams are just tripping over each other for a chance to sign Hulk. 😵‍💫 He’s fine where he is. Haas just need to get better at race execution and develop a car that doesn’t chew tires quicker than everyone else.

If you have a restaurant on the street where the
F1 in Las Vegas will be held, plan on paying a bill
equal to $1500 times the occupancy rate on the business
license or have grandstands constructed to cover
up the view. First time I have heard of this. I wonder
if this is common practice with Indycar and Nascar.

Article link :

Catalunya is nothing special but I’d keep it over another street race in Madrid.
Spain is one of the more dysfunctional members of the EU - they still had a fascist aligned government into the 1970s after all - so the fact that the country seems dead set on constantly producing new temporary circuits that they can exploit for graft doesn't surprise me. Valencia, the last abandoned F1 street circuit, is in an area that when the circuit operated had unemployment figures north of 30%. By comparison, the US' current official rate is 3.6%. The current unemployment rate in Madrid is almost 3 times that, so it's easy to find justification for public works projects that will employ laborers.

I thought the whole Nice thing was to gain leverage over Monaco in negotiating a new contract more favorable to F1 a year or two ago. I’m surprised it’s actually under discussion. Where would it even take a date from?
Apparently the mayor of Nice is still pushing for it.
If this race were to happen I'm sure it would take the place of Monaco. Wouldn't make any sense to have two street races so close to each other.
I don't miss the French GP at all. They just don't have any good tracks capable of hosting F1 races.

I don't miss the French GP at all. They just don't have any good tracks capable of hosting F1 races.
Dijon has hosed F1 before, but they would have to update it. Paul Richard is more than capable but it's a boring track. Personally I'de like to see them go back to Roen!

Apparently the mayor of Nice is still pushing for it.
If this race were to happen I'm sure it would take the place of Monaco. Wouldn't make any sense to have two street races so close to each other.
I’d like for France to have a race, Paul Ricard is decent but it’s just too ugly with too much runoff and too many different configurations. I think it would be regarded better if it weren’t such an eyesore. But that would require major changes from its days of mostly being a test track.

Unless Nice could put together a very unique street layout I wouldn’t see why they should replace Monaco. Just seems like a strange trade to me.

Dijon has hosed F1 before, but they would have to update it. Paul Richard is more than capable but it's a boring track. Personally I'de like to see them go back to Roen!

There's pretty much nothing left of Rouen-Les-Essarts.
At Dijon lap times would be around 50 seconds with today's cars so that's not gonna happen.

My favorite French track is Clermont-Ferrand. A shortened version of the old track still exists and even looks to be in relatively good shape but that's obviously not gonna host F1 either.

Paul Ricard sucks because of the gigantic paved runoffs. Replace tuem with gravel traps and it's a halfway decent track.

If you have a restaurant on the street where the
F1 in Las Vegas will be held, plan on paying a bill
equal to $1500 times the occupancy rate on the business
license or have grandstands constructed to cover
up the view. First time I have heard of this. I wonder
if this is common practice with Indycar and Nascar.

Article link :
I think this is pretty standard practice with a couple of exceptions where tracks were designed to be viewable for free (ex.: new downtown Detroit layout) but it’s another reason why I wouldn’t be caught dead in Las Vegas that week. Ridiculously expensive…all three of the U.S. races are, but especially Miami and especially especially Las Vegas.

There's pretty much nothing left of Rouen-Les-Essarts.
I used to run it all the time on SCGT. It must have been terrifying in one of those 60s rolling firebombs.

At Dijon lap times would be around 50 seconds with today's cars so that's not gonna happen.

That was another really good one.

I'de also see them back to Jarama and Jerez. The original Portugal was mighty too.

My favorite French track is Clermont-Ferrand.

Another one of my favorites in SCGT. It took about 50 laps before I knew where I was going, but after that it had a beautiful flow.
Paul Ricard sucks because of the gigantic paved runoffs. Replace them with gravel traps and it's a halfway decent track.
The giant painted runoffs look horrible. Why can't they just paint those green so at least it's not so ugly?

I’d like to see Audi bring back a German race in 2026 since Mercedes won’t. Audi have actual F1 operations in Germany so maybe they’d be more inclined to do so.
F1 will return to Hockenheim in 2026 at the earliest and only if Audi pays for it since Hockenheim can't finance the race through ticket sales and won't be getting any money from the government.
Honestly I'm not even so keen on F1 returning to Germany. The Hockenheim and Nürburgring GP circuits are pretty bland tracks and I'm not really missing them.
IMO the cars are safe enough for F1 to return to the full Nürburgring layout. That sure would have people talking.

That was Portimao. Wouldn't mind seeing them return there.
What a beautiful circuit. It's a classic, if they can keep it. A circuit like that can't be cheap to upkeep. They need big events to keep the doors open, but now they have lost their WEC event too. We don't race at places and then they fall away and become shopping centers or condos.

F1 will return to Hockenheim in 2026 at the earliest and only if Audi pays for it since Hockenheim can't finance the race through ticket sales and won't be getting any money from the government.
Honestly I'm not even so keen on F1 returning to Germany. The Hockenheim and Nürburgring GP circuits are pretty bland tracks and I'm not really missing them.
IMO the cars are safe enough for F1 to return to the full Nürburgring layout. That sure would have people talking.
As far as European races go I’d rather run one of those than Imola or Zandvoort. Those are each a poor fit for modern formula cars.

Didn't they run Estoril in 2020 or 2021? It wasn't worse than Imola.
They used to race at Estoril until 1996. In 94 they put in a super slow section to kill the speed going into Estoril's final sweeping righthander, and that totally destroyed the track's character. Before that, the last section was terrifying.

After the last big crash at Spa, this is a real concern. The difference here is they have three consecutive weekends to reschedule before Zandvoort. They can't just blow off the paying spectators and expect when to accept one slow lap under yellow and half points. They can't hose the public again. I'm all for a safe race, but you have to balance that against not ripping people off like that. No easy answers, but they can't keep doing that and expect people to come back.

Anyone have an update on the splash guards?

After the last big crash at Spa, this is a real concern. The difference here is they have three consecutive weekends to reschedule before Zandvoort. They can't just blow off the paying spectators and expect when to accept one slow lap under yellow and half points. They can't hose the public again. I'm all for a safe race, but you have to balance that against not ripping people off like that. No easy answers, but they can't keep doing that and expect people to come back.

Mick tested the rain guards and they didn’t work as intended so it’s back to the drawing board.

They changed the rules for points allocations after that Spa ‘21 debacle. They won’t award any points unless at least two laps are run under green, and there are varying allocations depending on whether the race fails to reach 25%, 50%, and 75% of the race distance completed.

I think at this moment it’s more likely to rain during the Sprint so I’m wondering if that’s something that could be cancelled entirely should the weather be bad enough.

The buddy I'm going to the USGP with was messaging me yesterday excited about the potential for a wet race this weekend and I reminded him that it wasn't too long ago that Spa called 4 caution laps a race. If Spa is a circuit that no longer can be run in the wet for whatever reason and no one is willing to do the capex required to prevent cars from being spit out into the racing line, then maybe it needs to be axed. I don't like saying that either.

Mick tested the rain guards and they didn’t work as intended so it’s back to the drawing board.
At certain places the trees are so close straights are more like a topless tunnel. The trees form a wind barrier that won't let the air current carry away the mist. Making things worse, ground effects cars tend to "atomize" the water molecules and makes the mist worse, and makes it hang longer.

You all saw what Spa looked like. Goggle up the old videos of the Pironi accident at the old Hockenheim, another place lined with trees. If you look at how they raced in a monsoon in Brazil a few years ago, there was none of the mist hampering vision so much because that's a relatively open place.

The ground effects cars are making a bad problem worse. All the water coming from under the car is turned into mist. Another problem Max brought up was the tires are bigger on these cars and displace more water.
They changed the rules for points allocations after that Spa ‘21 debacle. They won’t award any points unless at least two laps are run under green,
Imagine paying $1500 for a good seat at Vegas and being sent home after four laps. That would kill a country's GP in one fell swoop. The six car race they had at Indianapolis burned the fans so bad attendance the next year was pitiful, with plenty of local coverage reminding everyone who got screwed, complete with picketing. Yeah, sign me up for that! At the end of the contract Indianapolis was dropped like a brick, and hasn't been back or even in the discussion. You can't hose the fans like that. In the end, Tony Goerge gave everyone a ticket to the next race, but people were still angry then and still angry now.

So, when you add Indianapolis 2005, and Spa 21 to that, F1 simply can't get away with hosing the fans again. I read somewhere the hot seats in Vegas are going for $15,000. Imagine kissing off that kind of money to see four laps behind the safetycar. Imagine a race so compelling that Nikita Mazepin gets the fastest lap.

and there are varying allocations depending on whether the race fails to reach 25%, 50%, and 75% of the race distance completed.
It used to be 3/4 distance or half points.
I think at this moment it’s more likely to rain during the Sprint so I’m wondering if that’s something that could be cancelled entirely should the weather be bad enough.
From a safety standpoint absolutely, but imagine if they end up like they did in Spa '21. I don't believe people got thier money back on that one, so to do it again two years later earn a death star rating.

From a sporting standpoint, I'm all for cancelling a race if it gets too dangerous. From a business standpoint though, that's a tough decision to make. FIA can't keep pissing people off like this or they are just going to have to not race in the rain.

The buddy I'm going to the USGP with was messaging me yesterday excited about the potential for a wet race this weekend and I reminded him that it wasn't too long ago that Spa called 4 caution laps a race.
COTA isn't lined with trees, so as long as there is no standing water they will probably race. The big problem is the mist, but COTA is pretty wide open with few trees to interfer with wind clearing the mist.
If Spa is a circuit that no longer can be run in the wet for whatever reason and no one is willing to do the capex required to prevent cars from being spit out into the racing line, then maybe it needs to be axed. I don't like saying that either.
With wrecks in the middle of the road at least you can see and have a chance to avoid it. It's when there is so much spray you can't see anything that it becomes an unacceptable risk.

The one area they could actually do something with Spa is shave the road down at the top of Eau Rouge. The first accident there was in the dry, but where the accident happened you pop over the top and the wreck was just sitting there with no time to react.

The last accident was unique because the field was bunched up and making a metric shtton of spray/mist. It was further down the road and had nothing to do with Eau Rouge. That was maybe someone hitting standing water or crashing because he couldn't see (which could explain why someone spun on the straight), and in the mist no one behind had a chance.

I hope it won't rain as hard as two years ago. Two washouts in three years would probably kill Spa as an F1 venue. I wouldn't mind some rain though. It could make the race at least a little more interesting since pretty much everyone is expecting a walkover win for Max.

I've read several articles on my MSN feed that say there's a real possibility the race could be cancelled if it keeps raining like it did in FP1. Several drivers didn't even bother to set a time.

Alpine has announced that Formula 1 team principal Otmar Szafnauer is leaving the Enstone outfit after just 18 months in the role​

Timing sure seems a little odd though. Are things at Alpine so bad that people are jumping ship/pushed out mid season?
Mess of a team. At least Rossi is out as CEO, I think he was the worst influence of all.

According to Italian Motorsport.com, Alfa Romeo is likely to transition its motorsport involvement to Haas F1 in 2024, with a rebadging of the Ferrari power unit.

Good for Zhou but this likely means for the third consecutive season the reigning F2 champ will be sitting on the sidelines without a drive anywhere.
Zhou has turned into a really solid driver and I think it's a testament because people expected him to be a sit filler for Pourchaire. However, Theo has not set the world ablaze for being in F2 for the past three years either. If Bottas decides to call it quits over time, I think Pourchaire and Zhou would make a good pairing.

Back
Top Bottom