F1 News

di Resta seemed to be well-liked as the reserve driver there, so I think it's only natural he was at least in contention. I agree that he shouldn't be the final selection though.

Sounds like it's gonna be Kubica. And Sauber seem likely to announce Leclerc and then either Ericsson or Gio this weekend, along with a possible Alfa Romeo engine badging.

Let's hope that what you are suggesting will be the outcome.

Ericsson is a seat-warmer.

di Resta seemed to be well-liked as the reserve driver there, so I think it's only natural he was at least in contention. I agree that he shouldn't be the final selection though.

Sounds like it's gonna be Kubica. And Sauber seem likely to announce Leclerc and then either Ericsson or Gio this weekend, along with a possible Alfa Romeo engine badging.

Signing Kubica...

I'm just not a fan of signing him six years after the accident.

Its like Toyota when they signed Oliver Panis...

Sauber should go ahead and go young with Gio and Leclerc.

Is there a reason why they gave the hypersoft tire a pink font?

LOL

F1 is as silly as NASCAR some times.

I'm trying to find some decent pictures of what the "halo" is going to look like on the F1 cars in 2018.
I've read Hamilton is not a fan, but I'd like to see what he's complaining about.
I've not been able to find a clear picture.
I've seen the "shield" --- that sort of half windshield.

23755368_1626181760772111_3005604917531178630_n.jpg

23755368_1626181760772111_3005604917531178630_n.jpg

I'm trying to find some decent pictures of what the "halo" is going to look like on the F1 cars in 2018.
I've read Hamilton is not a fan, but I'd like to see what he's complaining about.
I've not been able to find a clear picture.
I've seen the "shield" --- that sort of half windshield.
287ca4b399c5b31a45640ebb4324622a.jpg

Thanks, aunty.
I think that bar in the center would bug me.
I don't think it would. Racecar drivers train themselves or instinctively focus on the constantly moving piece of track at the end of their field of vision. Vital at 200 mph.

Peripheral vision takes care of everything else.

The Halo will be gone for 2019, its not going to last long.

Does the FIA just not want to lose the money they already put into this or is there a reason they MUST use it in 2018?

The drivers would adjust to the halo, imo. But as far as aesthetics go this thing looks pretty bad.

I think they are going to use next year as a test and see if the teams and drivers would like to keep it for 2019.

The Halo will be gone for 2019, its not going to last long.
ah they will probably figure out a way to put a wing on it. Probably spending millions as we speak trying to figure out a helmet that works well with it.

Probably? When F1 finally comes to a halt, will there be a single air molecule left in the atmosphere they haven’t manipulated?

46C16AAC00000578-5124455-The_wishbone_shaped_device_was_tested_out_in_Abu_Dhabi_on_Tuesda-a-50_1511869857172.jpg

Probably? When F1 finally comes to a halt, will there be a single air molecule left in the atmosphere they haven’t manipulated?

46C16AAC00000578-5124455-The_wishbone_shaped_device_was_tested_out_in_Abu_Dhabi_on_Tuesda-a-50_1511869857172.jpg
Bottas had enough trouble getting out of the car with the standard halo last week. I can only imagine how much slower these guys are going to be so that they don't damage their teams' precious aero bits while getting out.

Sounds like it's a problem weight-wise too...the halo itself, the mountings, and strengthening the chassis to pass the associated load tests all add up to more than the extra allowance the teams were given for next year.

This is gonna be a big fail.

Bottas had enough trouble getting out of the car with the standard halo last week. I can only imagine how much slower these guys are going to be so that they don't damage their teams' precious aero bits while getting out.

Sounds like it's a problem weight-wise too...the halo itself, the mountings, and strengthening the chassis to pass the associated load tests all add up to more than the extra allowance the teams were given for next year.

This is gonna be a big fail.

With that added weight guys like Hulkenburg, Hartley, and any other driver over six foot are going to suffer.

I've been disappointed (but not surprised) at the lack of sponsor support for the Haas F1 team. Adam Stern links an article that suggests Haas could get the Maserati treatment, a la Sauber.

I've been disappointed (but not surprised) at the lack of sponsor support for the Haas F1 team. Adam Stern links an article that suggests Haas could get the Maserati treatment, a la Sauber.

Ferrari wanting more input on driver lineup would be the sticking point in this, I think. They tried to do that this year but Haas weren't having any of it. If it were coming with another 20m euros that would be more enticing though.

It sounds like they also want to get Maserati into FE and I'd imagine that'd be an either-or decision, not having a program in both.

Sergey Sirotkin will drive the second Williams this season.
Kubica has been named as test driver.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/williams-announces-sirotkin-as-stroll-s-teammate-996281/

Stroll/Sirotkin...

Okay, I like youth infused lineups. Yet Williams is missing the point entirely. Kyvat had money and was a free agent, I would have gone after him IMHO. Sergey is not a bad driver at all, but with I think this is Martini's last year as the title sponsor for the team. They better step up or Williams will be competing against Sauber. Worse yet, this might a major step backwards to the end of the field.

Yike Claire, what in blazes are you doing?

Good to see Kvyat at Ferrari but I don't really know if he's going to get a race seat there, maybe for one year if Kimi retires after this season and before Leclerc gets called up.

Stroll/Sirotkin...

Okay, I like youth infused lineups. Yet Williams is missing the point entirely. Kyvat had money and was a free agent, I would have gone after him IMHO. Sergey is not a bad driver at all, but with I think this is Martini's last year as the title sponsor for the team. They better step up or Williams will be competing against Sauber. Worse yet, this might a major step backwards to the end of the field.

Yike Claire, what in blazes are you doing?
I hope Sirotkin's Putinbucks make up for what they lose from the prize fund for falling behind Renault and McLaren.

Marchionne shouldn't have felt any need to take a swipe at NASCAR. The two series operate in different universes with very different dynamics driving them, and will never be similar.

Looks like Liberty Media just bought a big bag of smelly crap: https://jalopnik.com/ferraris-now-threatening-to-quit-f1-and-start-a-rival-r-1821464224

I wish I could find my post where I predicted this would happen. The moment the teams realize that they can get whatever they want by threatening to walk away, they will do it. Maybe, not walk away, but the threat is now there. They have Liberty Media backed into a corner, and it only took them a little less than a year to administer the hose.

But, then again, the teams have walked away before, but it was so long ago, and only one obscure race, that it's a little lost in history. It was 1982 when they staged a race of their own, but then the FIA ceded to their demands and that's how we ended up with the Concorde agreement. This was also the moment Bernie seized complete control.

So, we could have a real mess on our hands. The FIA said a few years ago if there was a rival F1 series they would sanction it, so if the teams want to go their own way, all Liberty Media is going to own is a schedule full of races with no cars, and the copyright on a few logos. You can bet Liberty is looking around for some kind of sucker to take this bloviated mess off their hands.

This isn't going to be like the Indycar split. The difference here is that while the Indianapolis Motor Speedway held the trump card, Liberty has, well......... squat. The F1 teams can form their own break away deal, the FIA will take the sanction money, and all Liberty will have is, again, squat. Obviously the teams and FIA won't be able to call it Formula One, but it's the FIA that owns the titles of world championship of drivers and manufacturers. They can just rename it "Premier Formula" or something similar and never miss a beat. Meanwhile, the clock is running for Liberty Media to get a few pennies of their investment back by selling all they have left...... a few copyrights.

At this point, Liberty's best option would be to hire Bernie to run things and reel the teams back in.

”Making cars all the same with simpler and cheaper engines is like NASCAR, it doesn’t interest us“

o_O Interesting statement from the CEO of Fiat-Chrysler. I keep hearing they are coming back to NASCAR Any Day Now.

”Making cars all the same with simpler and cheaper engines is like NASCAR, it doesn’t interest us“

o_O Interesting statement from the CEO of Fiat-Chrysler. I keep hearing they are coming back to NASCAR Any Day Now.

I guess Ferrari doesn't care how complex and expensive the cars and engines are because they have Fiat and the Italian government backing them up, and they get more prize money that anyone else, even when they suck. Essentially, the more expensive F1 gets, the better it is when you have unlimited funding. No wonder Ferrari and Mercedes like things the way they are!

Meanwhile, any time we get more than 20 cars a team seems to fall off the back of the grid because everything costs so much. Maybe if that extra money Ferrari was getting was spread out a little more equally we would not have lost so many small teams. Why is that such a concern? Take a lesson from sportscar racing. The manufacturers always bail and if you don't take care of your privateers you will end up with nothing. Granted, manufacturers like Ferrari and Renault have been around almost forever, but Renault has quit before and Ferrari is currently threatening to..........yet again. I also read that Mercedes was making some noise about leaving, so we could possibly end up with Indycar 2008 lite.....all Hondas. I mean, assuming they don't leave too.

Mercedes joins Ferrari with threats to leave F1 over Liberty Media's direction

So, essentially, Liberty media has bought a big bag of smelly crap. They could barely eek out a calendar year before a mutiny was underway.

I wonder if they can afford to finance a team and a series. I thought part of Ferrari's complaint is that they lost payments for being in F1 for so long.

It's official, no more grid or podium girls.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mo...la-1-to-drop-grid-girls-for-2018-1000912/amp/

I'm ambivalent about this. Part of me wishes they could be left alone and there should be a place for women who want to be eye candy to be eye candy. However, I don't watch any kind of racing because of hot girl accessories, and the grid girls were barely a presence on the TV broadcasts anyway.

With Ferrari and Mercedes threatening to quit and form a breakaway series, Liberty media thinks grid girls is the big issue? Man, this is going to get ugly.

I'm not sure one has much to do with the other. It seems Liberty does not think grid girls are a big issue, thus they feel free to discontinue the practice. For fans who strongly disagree with that decision, it may be a big issue. It may be a big issue to the models themselves, and understandably so there.

I'm not sure one has much to do with the other. It seems Liberty does not think grid girls are a big issue, thus they feel free to discontinue the practice. For fans who strongly disagree with that decision, it may be a big issue. It may be a big issue to the models themselves, and understandably so there.

What I meant is that while Ferrari and Mercedes are threatening to quit, the grid girl issue is what Liberty media chose to take care of. Essentially, the grid girls are not the pressing problem that the upcoming revolution could be.

Back
Top Bottom