F1 News

Hard to believe Honda won't eventually get it right, and then there will be plenty of customers. The mystery is why it's taking so long.

Some awesome F1 liveries:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1 MB · Views: 293
For the first time in two decades, we're publishing footage from inside an FIA Driver Briefing. Hear what the drivers had to say ahead of the Monaco Grand Prix.

Why F1 needs to change its approach to gaming

Getting youngsters hooked on a sport ensures you have your audience of the future. But in an era where F1 has been pushing itself behind TV paywalls, and is only now playing catch up on social media, there had been concerns that grand prix racing wasn't doing what it needed to bring those new fans in.

It's something new owners Liberty Media have been keen to address (which is why there has been a social media explosion), but there is perhaps one area where F1 really needs to take things to the next level: gaming.

It would be nice if it was an add on to Nascar's games.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-change-approach-gaming-920664

Why F1 needs to change its approach to gaming

Getting youngsters hooked on a sport ensures you have your audience of the future. But in an era where F1 has been pushing itself behind TV paywalls, and is only now playing catch up on social media, there had been concerns that grand prix racing wasn't doing what it needed to bring those new fans in.

It's something new owners Liberty Media have been keen to address (which is why there has been a social media explosion), but there is perhaps one area where F1 really needs to take things to the next level: gaming.

It would be nice if it was an add on to Nascar's games.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-change-approach-gaming-920664
Going after unofficial mods is so lame. And yeah, sanctioning an official championship would be a great idea.

No one has ever accused the FIA of opting for the most elegant solution.

The halo is going to suck the enjoyment out of watching these cars. They are supposed to be sleek and graceful, right? It's bad enough they are so aero complex that any pretense of sleekness is gone, If they hang a jungle gym on top of the car that's just going to ruin what's left of the car's appearances. You could make something better looking out of Lego.

The shield was an ok ideal, but with the curvature they probably won't ever get rid of the distorted view. I mean, Vettel could only make one lap before he got dizzy.

A better bet would be to stop all the chopping, blocking and swerving on the straights. It's a little bit disingenuous to preach so much safety and then allow the drivers to act like a bunch of insane little Satans. You can't preach safety and then allow irresponsibility. When Formula One wasn't so safe the drivers treated each other with a little more respect.

Same thing with circuit safety. The drivers moaned all weekend at Baku about the curbing in the section leading up to the castle (when they could have just as easily not tried to hop it and simply drove around it instead), and then not only does Ocon ram his own teammate into one of those supposedly dangerous wall, Hamilton brake checks Vettel whop retaliates with deliberate wheel to wheel contract. Were they all thinking of safety then?

Hey, these are your champions of safety! Oh, wait, I forgot that the president of the driver's union is Romain Grosjean, whom we all know has never caused a stupid accident. Good thing the drivers installed the voice of reason here.

For two years now the drivers have complained about the magnificient Baku circuit moaning about the lack of run off. Where are these guys every year when they face the same thing at Monaco? Why aren't they complaining about that? The drivers complain and cry and act like all of humanity is at stake, and then they drive like such mental patients that the red flag has to come out simply because they created so much debris slamming into each other.

So, essentially, the drivers have a lot of mouth in the safety argument, and then they back it up by driving like it doesn't mean anything after all. There was a huge stink last year about Verstappen's defending, but then they turn around and do the same thing to each other. There are still plenty of dirty antics going on up and down the field. How can the drivers say they want safe cars and a safe environment when they drive like they don't care?

If you exclude the absolute freak testing accident by Devitolla (who some would say didn't belong in that car anyway), Jules Bianchi is the only driver killed since Senna. You almost have to even exclude that because he was hauling ass under a yellow flag condition, and with a tractor in the gravel trap. What did he think was going to happen if he went off? He was probably thinking that he was safe to do that.

Then, it was only at Hungary the next year the Rosberg won the pole by flying through a double waved yellow section. So, Rosberg didn't care, and the FIA showed how little they cared by not penalizing him.

So, you really have to wonder exactly what any of these people are really thinking when hey preach about safety.

They gave the new canopy/shield one run with Vettel and decided to shelve it after that, and then immediately vote in the halo? Seems to me they just wanted to put something, anything on the cars so the FIA could say they care about safety. And sure, it can probably prevent a full tire/wheel from impacting a driver. And large pieces of debris, too. But there's still way too many small bits that can get inside the ****pit from various angles and cause injury or worse. I'd hope the thong is a stopgap, because if they really care they'd give a shield or canopy a proper development.

Sauber-Honda deal cancelled, and Sauber reach a multi-year deal with Ferrari: https://www.sauberf1team.com/news/the-sauber-f1-team-signed-an-agreement-with-scuderia-ferrari

This the "We give you engines at a lower price, you field Leclerc for a couple of years."

I see this happening, Ericsson will stay as the veteran and Wherlein will be preparing to leave for Formula E to be the face of the Mercedes program in FE. Don't be surprised if Giovanzzi is at Sauber or Haas, either.

Big move for Ferrari.

This the "We give you engines at a lower price, you field Leclerc for a couple of years."

I see this happening, Ericsson will stay as the veteran and Wherlein will be preparing to leave for Formula E to be the face of the Mercedes program in FE. Don't be surprised if Giovanzzi is at Sauber or Haas, either.

Big move for Ferrari.
I can't wait to see Leclerc move up.

F2 is weak though, he's going to be pretty good.

Just how good is he in reality?
He's in one of the test days next week so we'll get a look, but even in a not so stout field he's been impressive. A Sauber seat would be perfect for him.

And honestly, the fact that Ferrari seem so invested in him should speak volumes. #BeVested

It seems as if the carnivores at Porsche have contemplated a vegan-inspired diet of Formula E... an found it somewhat less than satisfying. So now they are talking openly about F1...

Porsche confirms F1 interest after Italian GP visit

Porsche's financial chief has confirmed that the Stuttgart manufacturer is seriously considering a return to Formula 1 as an engine supplier under the proposed 2021 regulations...

The F1 opportunity has opened up because Porsche stops its LMP1 project at the end of this season, having decided that it doesn't get sufficient return for what is in effect an F1-size budget, but without the income and sponsorship that the likes of Mercedes enjoy.

The company has already made a commitment to Formula E with a works-backed team from the 2019/20 season. However, it has also sent representatives to the series of recent meetings about the 2021 F1 engine regulations.

It has been encouraged by the direction that is being taken, with a move to cheaper and simpler technology than is currently used.
( Link )

Wow, what a surprise honestly. The timing of this, that is.

So, the big rumor is that Carlos Sainz is going to sign to Renault with Hulkenburg and what is going to happen is that Renault is going to follow him up to move to the works team. The major domino is that Mclaren-Honda breaks up and Mclaren switches to Renault power plants. So, what I'm thinking is that Red Bull Racing continues to use TAG Heuer (Renault) PUs' until Honda gets the kinks worked out with Toro Rosso and Honda will be the supplier for both Red Bull sponsored teams. This will result in Nobuharu Matsu****a possibly being in the running for the seat along with Pierre Gasly moving from Super Formula to F1 with Toro Rosso.

All interesting stuff happening and Sainz could be a Renault driver as soon as the Malaysian GP this year, removing Palmer from that second seat.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sainz-renault-switch-str-mclaren-honda-951146/

Wow, what a surprise honestly. The timing of this, that is.

So, the big rumor is that Carlos Sainz is going to sign to Renault with Hulkenburg and what is going to happen is that Renault is going to follow him up to move to the works team. The major domino is that Mclaren-Honda breaks up and Mclaren switches to Renault power plants. So, what I'm thinking is that Red Bull Racing continues to use TAG Heuer (Renault) PUs' until Honda gets the kinks worked out with Toro Rosso and Honda will be the supplier for both Red Bull sponsored teams. This will result in Nobuharu Matsu****a possibly being in the running for the seat along with Pierre Gasly moving from Super Formula to F1 with Toro Rosso.

All interesting stuff happening and Sainz could be a Renault driver as soon as the Malaysian GP this year, removing Palmer from that second seat.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sainz-renault-switch-str-mclaren-honda-951146/
Wow. That's crazy Red Bull let go of Sainz and it looks like Fernando isn't coming to Indy Car anymore. A shame that Honda couldn't figure it out for McLaren, wish it had worked out for those two as there is so much history there.

It seems as if the carnivores at Porsche have contemplated a vegan-inspired diet of Formula E... an found it somewhat less than satisfying. So now they are talking openly about F1...

Porsche confirms F1 interest after Italian GP visit

Porsche's financial chief has confirmed that the Stuttgart manufacturer is seriously considering a return to Formula 1 as an engine supplier under the proposed 2021 regulations...

The F1 opportunity has opened up because Porsche stops its LMP1 project at the end of this season, having decided that it doesn't get sufficient return for what is in effect an F1-size budget, but without the income and sponsorship that the likes of Mercedes enjoy.

The company has already made a commitment to Formula E with a works-backed team from the 2019/20 season. However, it has also sent representatives to the series of recent meetings about the 2021 F1 engine regulations.

It has been encouraged by the direction that is being taken, with a move to cheaper and simpler technology than is currently used.
( Link )
The latest rumor is that Porsche will buy out Red Bull and begin competition starting in the 2021 season. But Audi was also rumored to do that for several years, and Aston Martin was supposed to link up with Red Bull as well...so, I'll believe it when I see it.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/porsche-poised-red-bull-buyout

Six street circuits aren't enough? I mean, cool that they're not going for more Tilke-type circuits but there are actual road courses that are FIA Grade 1 that you're not going to.
Which ones?

Which ones?
The Malaysia event could be sorted out. Nurburgring/Hockenheimring are inconsistent as hell, Magny-Cours, Imola, Istanbul.

Maybe you add another street course or two but I don't see why it should be a priority, and you don't need to add a bunch of them.

The Malaysia event could be sorted out. Nurburgring/Hockenheimring are inconsistent as hell, Magny-Cours, Imola, Istanbul.

Maybe you add another street course or two but I don't see why it should be a priority, and you don't need to add a bunch of them.
Oh sorry I thought you meant street circuits. I love the old school road courses like you mentioned, more of those please.

Oh sorry I thought you meant street circuits. I love the old school road courses like you mentioned, more of those please.
Ah. There are at least four - Melbourne, Monaco, Baku, Singapore - and up to six if you include Sochi and Montreal, which both utilize public roads. Seems like enough to me, but I know they want to add more American races badly and street races would be the easiest way to do it.

Ah. There are at least four - Melbourne, Monaco, Baku, Singapore - and up to six if you include Sochi and Montreal, which both utilize public roads. Seems like enough to me, but I know they want to add more American races badly and street races would be the easiest way to do it.

Is there any reason why they dont compete at The Glen?

Maybe the lower bodies of the cars would get shreaded on the asphalt? What's the height difference between an indycar and an F1?

Is there any reason why they dont compete at The Glen?

Maybe the lower bodies of the cars would get shreaded on the asphalt? What's the height difference between an indycar and an F1?
Watkins Glen is a Grade 2 track according to the FIA, so they'd have to get ISC to do a bunch of **** to it to get it up to standards. But I really have no idea what makes a track Grade 1 versus Grade 2, I mean these street circuits F1 races on don't have much runoff either.
Well at least is official.

I'm in shock...said no one.

Cool, we can see Alonso race for 5th next year I guess. Now let's see how badly Toro Rosso and eventually Red Bull do with Honda "power". :eek:

RIP Kavyat.

Some other guy will drive *his car* for the next few races they said.

Back
Top Bottom