Fixing Attendance

A List celebrities are known regardless of the field you are in. You may not be able to name a song, know their win record, or have seen their show.... but you know who they are.

Kevin Durant
The Kardashian/Jenner clan
Drake
Taylor Swift
Rihanna
Justin Beiber
Serena Williams
Ellen Degeneres
Adele
Lebron James
Alex Rodriguez
Beyoncé
I didn't know who Drake is until I Googled him just now.

I'd heard of the rest, but I wouldn't recognize many if they showed up at my door: Durant, Rihanna, Beiber, Adele, James, Rodriguez, Beyonce, or any of the Kardashians. (Exactly what are they famous for in the first place?)

A List celebrities are known regardless of the field you are in. You may not be able to name a song, know their win record, or have seen their show.... but you know who they are.

Kevin Durant
Drake
Taylor Swift
Rihanna
Justin Beiber
Serena Williams
Ellen Degeneres
Adele
Lebron James
Alex Rodriguez
Beyoncé
this people are important to you? just what is it they do for you?

Who defines 'A list'? Is yours the same as mine?

There's a scene in 'Smokey and the Bandit' where Burt Reynolds rattles off the names of several race car drivers that Sally Field hasn't heard of. She names several famous dancers but he hasn't heard of them either. He makes a somewhat philosophical comment about famous being relative to the field you're in.

Oh, and I doubt either one of us makes any 'A list'.
I believe the quote was something like, how stupid you are depends where in the country you are standing. Or something to that nature.

Let's not get into this "A" list business. If it matters to you, well and good.
If, like me, it doesn't -- well and good, too.

If you aren't A list you don't matter.
Sorry you feel that way.

I didn't know who Drake is until I Googled him just now.

I'd heard of the rest, but I wouldn't recognize many if they showed up at my door: Durant, Rihanna, Beiber, Adele, James, Rodriguez, Beyonce, or any of the Kardashians. (Exactly what are they famous for in the first place?)
Same here, Charlie. I've heard the names, but in my little corner of the world, who they are and what they do/say doesn't mean a hill of beans to me.

Last edited:
You can tell a lot about a person by some of the things they say on the internet. I keep an "S" list does that count?

The more I think about it, the more I decide that is the most elitist piece of claptrap I've ever read on the Internet.

Tell Lebron those other four guys on the floor don't matter and see how he'd feel about playing by himself. Ask Lewis Hamilton how he'd feel about changing his own tires. I guarantee you Serena has someone who books her travel and tends to the details so she can work on her backhand. Why do NFL quarterbacks buy gifts for their offensive line? Because that's who keeps them from getting their ass shredded every week.

But there must be some value to that attitude. Who knows, it might even take you as far as the White House.

You're missing the whole point. I was talking about why NASCAR drivers aren't getting attention and why the sport is dying. Because young and upcoming drivers aren't branding themselves.... yes Dale Jr and Jeff Gordon are well known, but guess what? Back in the day they were busting their asses going to all the going to all the events they possibly could and branding themselves. They were in music videos, being mentioned in hit songs, their shirts and colors were being worn by some famous celebs because they were networking with these people. They are now retiring and taking all their hard work with them. Instead of NASCAR telling the next generation of drivers to get up off their asses and go out there and get it done on and off the track, NASCAR is whining and b!tching about being left behind and not understanding why.

A list celebs matter so why isn't Ryan Blaney hanging out with some hot young starlets? Why isn't Bubba Wallace making business moves with other black atheletes (Cam Newton lives right in Charlotte bruh)? Why isn't Chase Elliott hobknobbing with the daughters of some conservative billionaires with good connections? Is Alex Bowman too busy to go to Coachella or Made In America after the race is over on Sundays?

These are all things Dale Jr did. And guess what? He didn't even have the ease of Social Media to do it for him.....

If I was scrolling through my twitter TL and saw Drake standing next to Bubba Wallace I (after I wake up from passing out) I'm gonna find out why. Oh.... Drake's company is sponsoring a race for him? Drake is gonna be at the race? Well let me get my coins together to go or at least buy whatever ridiculously priced merchandise is going to come from it.

I have a 13 year old nephew WHO worships the ground Kevin Durant walks on. I bet if Kevin Durant were to say he was a NASCAR fan my nephew would become a fan.

this people are important to you? just what is it they do for you?

I googled A list celebs and that was the list Google gave me. I have my opinions about people who should or shouldn't be on the list but that's neither here nor there.

You're missing the whole point. I was talking about why NASCAR drivers aren't getting attention and why the sport is dying. Because young and upcoming drivers aren't branding themselves.... yes Dale Jr and Jeff Gordon are well known, but guess what? Back in the day they were busting their asses going to all the going to all the events they possibly could and branding themselves. They were in music videos, being mentioned in hit songs, their shirts and colors were being worn by some famous celebs because they were networking with these people. They are now retiring and taking all their hard work with them. Instead of NASCAR telling the next generation of drivers to get up off their asses and go out there and get it done on and off the track, NASCAR is whining and b!tching about being left behind and not understanding why.

A list celebs matter so why isn't Ryan Blaney hanging out with some hot young starlets? Why isn't Bubba Wallace making business moves with other black atheletes (Cam Newton lives right in Charlotte bruh)? Why isn't Chase Elliott hobknobbing with the daughters of some conservative billionaires with good connections? Is Alex Bowman too busy to go to Coachella or Made In America after the race is over on Sundays?

These are all things Dale Jr did. And guess what? He didn't even have the ease of Social Media to do it for him.....
maybe they don't want to be on the a list and would like to do things without other people up their ass and in their face.

I think @ladyspartan16's point is that none of today's drivers transcend sports and even pop culture in a way that they're known to an average consumer the way athletes in other sports are.

I can go to the grocery store right now and drop some of the names spartan mentioned and the person I'm talking to would know who they are. Taylor Swift, Jennifer Lawrence, Serena Williams, Cam Newton, Lebron, Steph Curry... everyone knows these names. Hell, Taylor Swift releases one music video and it breaks the internet.

The only household names in NASCAR right now are Danica Patrick and Dale Earnhardt, Jr. and both of them are on their way out.

Bubba Wallace could be a household name, but it doesn't look like anyone's willing to bring him into Cup.

I think @ladyspartan16's point is that none of today's drivers transcend sports and even pop culture in a way that they're known to an average consumer the way athletes in other sports are.

I can go to the grocery store right now and drop some of the names spartan mentioned and the person I'm talking to would know who they are. Taylor Swift, Jennifer Lawrence, Serena Williams, Cam Newton, Lebron, Steph Curry... everyone knows these names. Hell, Taylor Swift releases one music video and it breaks the internet.

The only household names in NASCAR right now are Danica Patrick and Dale Earnhardt, Jr. and both of them are on their way out.

Bubba Wallace could be a household name, but it doesn't look like anyone's willing to bring him into Cup.
so he could be just like Danica.

******* Jimmie Johnson, one of the greatest athletes we will ever see, isn't an A-List name because this sport is stuck in Dale Earnhardt's shadow. That's a problem.
how is a problem? if he wanted to be a A-list guy HMS would of made it happen.

I can't make y'all see the point and I'm done talking to a brick wall.
I know what you are saying, but that is your opinion not fact.

Lewis Hamilton ... A lister.

22519475_1588468527876768_7750095971286891597_n.jpg

Kevin Durant
Drake
Taylor Swift
Rihanna
Justin Beiber
Serena Williams
Ellen Degeneres
Adele
Lebron James
Alex Rodriguez
Beyoncé
Boy what a group.! Durant is a fine baller, Kardashians big butts and a tranny, Drake, yell curse words at the crowd no music Beiber,arrest record.Degeneres,used to be funny,ARod,peds Beyonce, good voice, big thighs

I can't make y'all see the point and I'm done talking to a brick wall.
I understood all your points you made and really appreciate the time you put into those long posts.
They were well done! I have a better understanding of the current and previous generations mindset when
it comes to NASCAR. I think NASCAR drivers are sooooo busy they rarely have time to go to the
A list type of events during the year and would rather hang with their families during the off days.

yep stick n ballers don't have sponsor obligations and continually have to sell themselves and make appearances at their places of business and at the track. With stick n ball for the most part it's an indentured servitude deal. They can be bought and sold, have very little choice where they play or which team they will be drafted too. Really easy to see the personality differences, very few race car drivers are players and hang at nite clubs to get their picture taken like so many of them do. Drivers mostly have much longer careers and rarely have career ending injuries and they aren't broke in their 50's like around 70% of the stick n ballers blowing money like water trying to impress people who mostly don't give a ****. But many prefer to follow that stuff, but IMO I will file it with all of the other claims about declining attendance. I think when they got away from bias ply tires myself is the reason for declining attendance.

yep stick n ballers don't have sponsor obligations and continually have to sell themselves and make appearances at their places of business and at the track. With stick n ball for the most part it's an indentured servitude deal. They can be bought and sold, have very little choice where they play or which team they will be drafted too. Really easy to see the personality differences, very few race car drivers are players and hang at nite clubs to get their picture taken like so many of them do. Drivers mostly have much longer careers and rarely have career ending injuries and they aren't broke in their 50's like around 70% of the stick n ballers blowing money like water trying to impress people who mostly don't give a sh!t. But many prefer to follow that stuff, but IMO I will file it with all of the other claims about declining attendance. I think when they got away from bias ply tires myself is the reason for declining attendance.
Wtf lol.. damn talk about them more while your at it smh! Boy I tell ya

Follow GPTtoday, Planet F1, Sky Sports, Grandprix24/7, F1.com, and others

I appreciate the education as a lot of the things you are speaking of are new to me. These drivers need to be hooked up with handlers and PR people so they can get in front of people.

yep stick n ballers don't have sponsor obligations and continually have to sell themselves and make appearances at their places of business and at the track. With stick n ball for the most part it's an indentured servitude deal. They can be bought and sold, have very little choice where they play or which team they will be drafted too. Really easy to see the personality differences, very few race car drivers are players and hang at nite clubs to get their picture taken like so many of them do. Drivers mostly have much longer careers and rarely have career ending injuries and they aren't broke in their 50's like around 70% of the stick n ballers blowing money like water trying to impress people who mostly don't give a sh!t. But many prefer to follow that stuff, but IMO I will file it with all of the other claims about declining attendance. I think when they got away from bias ply tires myself is the reason for declining attendance.

Matthew Stafford likes being a servant with dentures as he makes enough in 16 games to easily fund 2 cars for 36 races as the primary sponsor.

IDK if you are just having a bad day or are grossly misinformed regarding your comment that 70% of stick and ball athletes are broke by the time they are in their 50's. Another out and out fabrication is that players have little choice where they play. If players chose 1 year contracts they could pick a different team to play for each year but most prefer the comfort and security of long term deals.

Matthew Stafford likes being a servant with dentures as he makes enough in 16 games to easily fund 2 cars for 36 races as the primary sponsor.

IDK if you are just having a bad day or are grossly misinformed regarding your comment that 70% of stick and ball athletes are broke by the time they are in their 50's. Another out and out fabrication is that players have little choice where they play. If players chose 1 year contracts they could pick a different team to play for each year but most prefer the comfort and security of long term deals.

5 Reasons Why 80% Of Retired NFL Players Go Broke

https://www.forbes.com/sites/leighs...of-retired-nfl-players-go-broke/#4907641678cc

Unfiltered Josh Rosen speaks out about 'indentured servitude' of college football
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...out-indentured-servitude-of-college-football/

Point of the Game
Conversations on Sports, Ethics and Culture

So the indentured servitude of professional athletes is bound by consent at the beginning and free agency at the end of the indentured time. Many leagues now have minimum salaries to compensate for exploitation of the draft. The indentured effect is most obvious in that a player cannot play for another team during that period and can be traded or sold at the owner/teams decision. Still unique and not something we see anywhere else but now more bound and limited.

http://pointofthegame.blogspot.com/2014/08/sports-ethics-buying-selling-human.html

Gord Downie passed away ... and a little bit of Bill Barilko went with him. Very sad.

Back
Top Bottom