Fixing Attendance

And there’s the rise in funeral home revenues.
I know a young gal who is a traveling speech therapist. got her Masters, makes 23$ an hour taxable and another 20 bucks an hour that isn't. Has full boat paid coverage, guaranteed 40 hours a week can and does work anywhere in the country she wants. only works with the older baby boomers stroke patients. She has a super nice 5th wheel saves 70% of her income and I can't remember her date for sure but will be retiring I think in her late 30's. She is lovin those baby boomers

Nascar isn't alone it seems.

Live sports is not attracting new, younger viewers
To understand what's happening with NFL ratings we really don't have to look much further than simple demographics -- the aging of the U.S. population -- and the change in viewing behavior from older groups to younger groups.
Magna Global recently released its 2017 U.S. Sports Report. According to Radio + Television Business Report (RBR.com) the age of live sports viewers is scewing older. Much older. Today the average NFL viewer is at least 50. Similar to tennis, and college basketball and football. That's second only to baseball at 57 - which was 50 as recently as 2000. But no sport is immune. NHL viewers are now typically 49. They were 33 in 2000. As simple arithmetic shows, the same folks are watching hockey but few new viewers are being attracted. Based on recent trends, Magna projects viewership for the Sochi Olympics and 2018 World Cup will both decline. Fox had its worst NFL viewership since 2008, and ESPN had its worst since 2005. The NBA had some of its lowest rated games ever on network television last year.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamha...ployees-demographics-and-trends/#1bc917da4efc

I learned a new word today and that is "scewing" but I have not been able to come up with a definition. Some people say it means doing something with another person but not getting kissed while some others said it is a setting on all new Singer products. Some of the young people said it is called "scewing" when you see something really gross and scrunch up your face. Who knows?

As far as the rest goes Nascar is way ahead of the curve in terms of having an old audience as it is not abnormal to see 70% of them over 50 in the reports each week. I would need to double check but I believe Nascar and the PGA have the geezer market pretty well cornered. This has not been confirmed but it has also been said that Nascar has the highest percentage of fans the will not buy green bananas.

In unrelated news more stick and ball sports are going to come up with senior versions of their game much like the PGA does. .:D

might help you to get your stories straight..Prime time viewers are aging faster than all sports fans.;)

The study, conducted exclusively for SportsBusiness Journal by Magna Global, looked at live, regular-season game coverage of major sports across both broadcast and cable television in 2000, 2006 and 2016. It showed that while the median age of viewers of most sports, except the WTA, NBA and MLS, is aging faster than the overall U.S. population, it is doing so at a slower pace than prime-time TV.

might help you to get your stories straight..Prime time viewers are aging faster than all sports fans.;)

The study, conducted exclusively for SportsBusiness Journal by Magna Global, looked at live, regular-season game coverage of major sports across both broadcast and cable television in 2000, 2006 and 2016. It showed that while the median age of viewers of most sports, except the WTA, NBA and MLS, is aging faster than the overall U.S. population, it is doing so at a slower pace than prime-time TV.

Nascar has a Jurassic audience and as the article says "NASCAR ratings are in the cellar right now." As we see on a weekly basis 65-70% of Nascar fans are over 50 so no new light has been shed..

Average age of a Nascar viewer is around 58.Pretty simple to see that it is more a function of an aging population than a drama event.

To understand what's happening with NFL ratings we really don't have to look much further than simple demographics -- the aging of the U.S. population -- and the change in viewing behavior from older groups to younger groups.
Magna Global recently released its 2017 U.S. Sports Report. According to Radio + Television Business Report (RBR.com) the age of live sports viewers is scewing older. Much older. Today the average NFL viewer is at least 50. Similar to tennis, and college basketball and football. That's second only to baseball at 57 - which was 50 as recently as 2000. But no sport is immune. NHL viewers are now typically 49. They were 33 in 2000. As simple arithmetic shows, the same folks are watching hockey but few new viewers are being attracted. Based on recent trends, Magna projects viewership for the Sochi Olympics and 2018 World Cup will both decline. Fox had its worst NFL viewership since 2008, and ESPN had its worst since 2005. The NBA had some of its lowest rated games ever on network television last year.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamha...ployees-demographics-and-trends/#1bc917da4efc

Average age of a Nascar viewer is around 58.Pretty simple to see that it is more a function of an aging population than a drama event.

If the average Nascar fan is 58 it is readily apparent as to why they are having so much difficulty gaining and maintaining sponsors that want to part with anywhere near the money they did in years past.The title sponsor search was a debacle and good teams like the 77 can't get funding to carry on and it is very possible that SHR will have to drop a team for 2018. The old age of the audience will continue to erode attendance too as often times people develop ailments in their pocketbooks to go along with the physical variety. You are a huge Nascar fan and I have never heard you talk about going to a race or making plans to see one and I think that is typical for most in your age group. It isn't that we don't want to go it is because for many reasons we can't. Isn't the track in Kansas less than 6 hours from you?

Good stuff here. It's a generational thing. My generation grew up with the tube as the primary entertainment source, and it was strictly a one-way form of communications. Now, with video games, fantasy leagues, and the Internet, entertainment has become interactive across two or more communications streams at a time. Maybe the days of just watching entertainment, including sports, is going the way of sitting around the radio as a family, which replaced gathering around the piano, which replaced ...

I learned a new word today and that is "scewing" but I have not been able to come up with a definition. ...
I think that was supposed to be 'skewing', but content publishers are convince computers can do the work formerly done by human editors. :rolleyes: And I say this as a network administrator.

Yeah, my phone bill inched up just under $2 last month and TV went up $4 a little earlier this year.
Direct TV, Cox Cable Internet connection, Verizon Cell Phone, ATT house/business phone, Health Insurance, Electricity bill, Gas bill, Geico boat-car-trucks-camper insurance, other insurance, every damn month they're going up a few dollars here and a few dollars there. Oh well life goes on.

Direct TV, Cox Cable Internet connection, Verizon Cell Phone, ATT house/business phone, Health Insurance, Electricity bill, Gas bill, Geico boat-car-trucks-camper insurance, other insurance, every damn month they're going up a few dollars here and a few dollars there. Oh well life goes on.
Beats the alternative.

I think that was supposed to be 'skewing', but content publishers are convince computers can do the work formerly done by human editors. :rolleyes: And I say this as a network administrator.

Of course with today's atrocious spelling who can be sure. Skewing/scewing-potato-potahto.

Good stuff here. It's a generational thing. My generation grew up with the tube as the primary entertainment source, and it was strictly a one-way form of communications. Now, with video games, fantasy leagues, and the Internet, entertainment has become interactive across two or more communications streams at a time. Maybe the days of just watching entertainment, including sports, is going the way of sitting around the radio as a family, which replaced gathering around the piano, which replaced ...

IDK how things will shake out but Nascar is the thin edge of the wedge and could be a case study for sports.

IDK how things will shake out but Nascar is the thin edge of the wedge and could be a case study for sports.
Maybe the sports organizations and their network / cable partners should hold a closed-door, no-holds-barred summit. This may be a problem that is beyond any one of them or any single sport-carrier pairing. Rent a secret lair for a long weekend and look at what young people enjoy, how their events differ from that, and what they can do collectively to incorporate desired features. It sounds like an entire form of entertainment is on the ropes

Maybe the sports organizations and their network / cable partners should hold a closed-door, no-holds-barred summit. This may be a problem that is beyond any one of them or any single sport-carrier pairing. Rent a secret lair for a long weekend and look at what young people enjoy, how their events differ from that, and what they can do collectively to incorporate desired features. It sounds like an entire form of entertainment is on the ropes

They did last off season, and guess what? BZF and Lisa wouldn't show because of some stupid personal dispute. Out of that meeting we got the stages and the current points format because nobody was there to push back against the TV networks wanting their commercial breaks.

NASCAR ticket prices are way lower than F1. I've attended many F1 races and paid up to $600 dollars for a weekend ticket. The first time I attended a Cup race, I couldn't believe the difference. And although the costs have risen, I don't understand why attendance is dropping. The amount of racing you see over a weekend is awesome, the food & beer prices aren't unreasonable and the fans you meet are real friendly. I would LOVE to see a real NASCAR race over here in the UK. We have the track, why does the Whelan Series not visit? Must be a cash thing?

I have spent more money for a weekend pass to Vintage Motorcycle Days at Mid-Ohio than what is being charged for some cup tickets.

. we use to thrive without diversity smh pathetic .. it's 2017 .. it should be more diversity just like it is in other sports.. yes I'm black .. if it was more blacks in the sport that would open up the eyes to more people with color.. that would bring tons of new fans.. I hope bubba gets a ride.. that would make me happy.. I would support him and I'm sure others would to.. it makes no sense that others can get sponsorship and he can't smh..

I'd like to see Bubba Wallace get a ride as well, and I agree more diversity would attract new fans.

I'm just arguing that's not the reason so many former fans quit watching.

It is not so much about the points, or stage racing, or anything that has been done to tweak things. That gets under the skin of select deep NASCAR fans, and yes some have left as a result.

The big change started during the height of the modern era. The death of Dale Earnhardt hit hard. The resulting safety changes were and are helpful. But the introduction of the Gen 6 car diluted the racing quality for viewers (live and on TV) at the same time ticket prices/hotel costs had reached expense levels that were testing the limits of fans. Then, the recession hit,....hard.

The combination created a downturn that never stopped. Attendance slid, but the lesser quality racing product turned off the more casual fans who started finding something else to do. During the years since, the generational changes have impacted further to bring us to where we are. Just my 2 cent analysis.

Who are the producers of these events? Who is in charge of production?
Seems to me they are older people who are so busy they don't even know their own kids let alone what younger people want.
First problem is you have Brian France who is bent on telling the fans what good racing is and then you have people running the production who think people give up 3 hrs of their Sunday to watch replays of big crashes from yesteryear along with Rutledge. Tuning in and hoping to see a live race isn't going to happen these days.
At least we have the option of NOT Watching or listening to people in the booth mouthing what they hear in their ear.

The 200mph aero parade that tomorrow's race will most likely be is a big reason for loss of fans.
I was thinking the same thing, can Nascar afford another season of this? Basically next year the car will be the same, despite a few tweaks, i don't see the racing improving much, can Nascar endure another boring season without losing a host of sponsors and fans?

I'd like to see Bubba Wallace get a ride as well, and I agree more diversity would attract new fans.

I'm just arguing that's not the reason so many former fans quit watching.
Diversity is fine and all, I don't think it would attract as many fans as some think. The lack of quality racing, cars you can't identify with, the loss of Dodge in the sport, vanilla drivers, and too many 1.5 mile tracks are the main reasons Nascar is tanking.

I was thinking the same thing, can Nascar afford another season of this? Basically next year the car will be the same, despite a few tweaks, i don't see the racing improving much, can Nascar endure another boring season without losing a host of sponsors and fans?

IMO the one thing that will help the racing next year is the amount of new drivers. The old contented crowd that have already made their fortune is a thing of the past. These new drivers are going to be a lot more hungry and therefore the racing will be better.
Of course that all depends on whether Nascar lets them race or if they continue to want them all bunched up so more crashes will happen.

IMO the one thing that will help the racing next year is the amount of new drivers. The old contented crowd that have already made their fortune is a thing of the past. These new drivers are going to be a lot more hungry and therefore the racing will be better.
Of course that all depends on whether Nascar lets them race or if they continue to want them all bunched up so more crashes will happen.
That's not going to be enough, a few new drivers isn't going to boost it, don't forget no Jr next year , so this will probably cancel it out.

It's hard to pass if you can't get close.Someone mentioned Global Rallycross was the fastest growing motorsport. These cars look stock and they beat and bang and shove like old time short trackers. They maybe get up to the astounding speed of 80mph That should say something. You want 200mph? Go get a Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat or a Cadillac CTS V , You can get close to 200 at Ford Chevy or Mercedes stores.All in V8 front engine rear drive cars Toyletotas are bogus cars in Nascar .They haven't made a fast car since the front engine Supra!! Sh!t can the aero crap and go back to cars based in reality and close racing.that is exciting most every lap. Fans will return.

Want to fix attendance? Get rid of the stupid gimmicks like stage racing and playoffs. Go back to what worked before Sprint took over. Also, put more short tracks, road courses and unique configuration tracks on the schedule. I mean what the **** is the difference between Kansas and Michigan? Nothing, that's what.

It's vastly different today. As a kid I built models, boats, airplanes and oh yes cars. Today where can you find row upon row of model cars? A 10-12 year old can't buy glue last I knew. You can't work on cars today unlike the old points, plugs and condenser days.
You can't drag a hulk out of the junk yard and race it the following week.
My son and a friend expressed a desire to go racing 10+ years ago. When I did a brief outline and hit 10 grand to go pure/hobby stock racing that killed their desire.
Average ''kids'' today just don't see the appeal IMO and nascrap is not doing anything to attract them..

It's vastly different today. As a kid I built models, boats, airplanes and oh yes cars. Today where can you find row upon row of model cars? A 10-12 year old can't buy glue last I knew. You can't work on cars today unlike the old points, plugs and condenser days.
You can't drag a hulk out of the junk yard and race it the following week.
My son and a friend expressed a desire to go racing 10+ years ago. When I did a brief outline and hit 10 grand to go pure/hobby stock racing that killed their desire.
Average ''kids'' today just don't see the appeal IMO and nascrap is not doing anything to attract them..

For sure. You don't just lace up your tennis shoes and throw a ball around. It takes blood, sweat, determination and money to race in motorsports and most never even come close to breaking even.

I posted this back in the Dover race thread a few weeks back. I always take my dad to 1 or 2 of the Dover races. The first race they move the date around a lot, sometimes its in may, sometimes June. When it's in June it's usually miserably hot with the sun to sit in bleachers for hours, I hate it. So we started skipping that race.

The chase race we haven't missed in awhile but I really didn't feel like making the 3 hour or so drive down there and then to sit in a ton of traffic on the way home so I asked him if he just wanted to watch the race on tv together instead.

I ended up dragging a tv outside cause it was a beautiful day and I made chicken wings and burgers on the grill and we drank a lot of beer and it was fantastic. I didn't have to drive anywhere and sit in traffic. I loved it and he loved it even more than I did.

The other problem is the Dover tickets are way overpriced. Something like 90 bucks to sit in the upper levels of turn 3 or 4. There's no reason for them to be that expensive. They should be 50 bucks tops especially cause there's always rows and rows of empty seats and I saw them there again on tv.

Honestly? We will probably stick to the backyard BBQ thing from now on to watch races. We had a great time, if not a better time doing that than going to the actual race.

Also the only other track in driving distance from us that we could go to in a day and back without having to stay over is Pocono and we did that once and would never do it again. You can literally not see the majority of the race from the stands. There is 0 reason to ever go there and we never went back. Traffic is even worse there cause it's basically one major road in and out too.

For sure. You don't just lace up your tennis shoes and throw a ball around. It takes blood, sweat, determination and money to race in motorsports and most never even come close to breaking even.

It takes blood, sweat, tears (but not David Clayton Thomas) and TALENT to have a career in stick and ball. It takes a rich benefactor to race in Nascar and you can be in Tony Stewart shape to do it if you wish.

I posted this back in the Dover race thread a few weeks back. I always take my dad to 1 or 2 of the Dover races. The first race they move the date around a lot, sometimes its in may, sometimes June. When it's in June it's usually miserably hot with the sun to sit in bleachers for hours, I hate it. So we started skipping that race.

The chase race we haven't missed in awhile but I really didn't feel like making the 3 hour or so drive down there and then to sit in a ton of traffic on the way home so I asked him if he just wanted to watch the race on tv together instead.

I ended up dragging a tv outside cause it was a beautiful day and I made chicken wings and burgers on the grill and we drank a lot of beer and it was fantastic. I didn't have to drive anywhere and sit in traffic. I loved it and he loved it even more than I did.

The other problem is the Dover tickets are way overpriced. Something like 90 bucks to sit in the upper levels of turn 3 or 4. There's no reason for them to be that expensive. They should be 50 bucks tops especially cause there's always rows and rows of empty seats and I saw them there again on tv.

Honestly? We will probably stick to the backyard BBQ thing from now on to watch races. We had a great time, if not a better time doing that than going to the actual race.

Also the only other track in driving distance from us that we could go to in a day and back without having to stay over is Pocono and we did that once and would never do it again. You can literally not see the majority of the race from the stands. There is 0 reason to ever go there and we never went back. Traffic is even worse there cause it's basically one major road in and out too.

In order to attend a race today I think you need to be a diehard or curious (or its Martinsville) as many of the races are not very good and, IMO, you are better served seeing them on the tube. If it is a good race you can enjoy every lap of it and if it is not very good you can turn it off and do something else and not be infuriated at yourself for wasting time and money.

Why the hell are their time limits to edit posts? I just lost a long post that I'm gonna try to recreate....

I'm in the age demographic that NASCAR so desperately wants and another thing I have an issue with is these young drivers who are "the future" have no ****** personalities. Look at Eric Jones yesterday in the Xfinity race. He was cut off by Bell and it cost him the race and he didn't show any emotion other than disappointment. Could we see some ******** anger? Could we some ****** passion? This guy is supposed to be the future of the cup series? Zzzzzz I'm not saying he has to go punch Bell in the face but could he at least be pissed off.

These young drivers are emotionless robots that do nothing but thank their sponsors. A lot of the older current cup drivers are the same way but I find these younger guys to be even worse if that's possible. There's no real passion, no real angry. It's horribly boring to hear any of these guys talk. I think they are all too scared to do anything but thank their sponsors and be good little commercial ads for them. It's something I don't even know how you change at this point.

We have no characters in the sport anymore. That's why I always loved Tony Stewart, he never gave a **** what you thought and he had no problem telling you exactly what he thought. He also never gave a **** what the boring media thought. Same thing with Kyle Busch before he calmed down, I still love how annoyed everyone was when he smashed that stupid guitar in Nashville.

We need more guys like this, with character and passion and less Kyle Larsons and Eric Jones and all these other young boring kids that when given the choice to watch paint dry or listen to them that I would choose to watch paint dry.

Real character would really boost the sport an get people back into it. I was hoping monster engery might try to push NASCAR into letting these guys be more real since I find the Supercross series to be way less phony when it comes to drivers. Shame it's apparently never going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom