How Do We Fix Plate Racing

M

MIracingfan

I've been lurking here in the past few months, and I've definitely noticed that that plate races in general are not always very well received here. Also, I will say that these races do have their issues, especially since this new generation car came out. I'll just point out a couple things from the Geico 500 that just finished. Jeff Gordon said in the prerace show that these cars get bigger runs than he's seen in the last 15 years. I did not see one single run in this race take the leader by surprise. At the end of the race, you'd think that someone would come out of nowhere and make a race out of it like they used to, but I just don't think these cars are actually capable of it. To add to the issue, I did see people try and build runs in the top and bottom lanes, but the car getting a bump would always get loose and lose momentum, which is probably the most important part of the race at a plate track. In my opinion, they just can't get a strong pull off of the car in front. The same problem that we have at the 1.5 milers is now the problem we have at Daytona and Talladega, dirty air. We have to find some way to provide drag to the car in front, and a pull with clean air to the car in back. Sorry for the long post, but Daytona and Talladega used to be my favorite tracks on the circuit. Now I look forward to them like I look forward to my home track in Michigan.

The goal shouldn't be to 'fix' plate racing. Plate racing is itself an attempt to fix the real problem - cars travellng too fast to safely remain out of the grandstands. The question should be, what are the alternatives to plate racing.

I'm with AML - reconfigure the tracks. But I'd be happy with any solution that didn't require 8 bazillion exceptions to the rule book for these four races.

Last edited:
The goal shouldn't be to 'fix' plate racing. Plate racing is itself an attempt to fix the real problem - cars travellng too fast to safely remain out of the grandstands. The question should be, what are the alternatives to plate racing.

I'm with AML - reconfigure the tracks.

I understand the sentiment, but I think plate racing is far too ingrained into NASCAR to just get rid of it. A lot of my friends are or were just casual fans, and the only time they got into racing was Daytona or 'Dega. It's just a different type of racing

I understand the sentiment, but I think plate racing is far too ingrained into NASCAR to just get rid of it. A lot of my friends are or were just casual fans, and the only time they got into racing was Daytona or 'Dega. It's just a different type of racing
As far as I can tell, nothing is too ingrained to keep. Points systems, qualifying procedures, and championship qualifications older than plate racing were ditched. Plates can be too.

Get the plate package from the early 2000’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sdj
Can we give them smaller plates so we can put some of this back in the hands of the teams and skill of drivers to get away from the pack?

Plate racing has evolved over the years and will continue to do so. In every form that it's been it's proven to be popular with a majority of the fans. There's nothing to do other than enjoy the racing. There's no magic 'cure all' to appease everyone.

Plate racing doesn't need fixing this place is just real picky.

...exactly SF...there is nothing wrong with plate racing. Unless you are going to do away with the big tracks you HAVE to have restrictor plates - otherwise they would be going 250mph.

Pretty funny about all of the speed regulation that comes every time there is a plate track race. Speeds are regulated on every Nascar track.

Pretty funny about all of the speed regulation that comes every time there is a plate track race. Speeds are regulated on every Nascar track.

...especially in the pits for safety purposes - you may want to email Hambone about that rule :XXROFL:

Can we give them smaller plates so we can put some of this back in the hands of the teams and skill of drivers to get away from the pack?
Smaller plates just means slower pack racing.
There is no cure for plate racing.
I don’t enjoy it so I simply don’t watch.

If you must slow the cars down, smaller displacement engines would be better that a restrictor plate.
Get rid of the plates and let them use their right foot to use throttle response. They will lift if the car no longer sticks. If they don't, then that's on the driver.

Who is going to pay for this tearing down of the banking in today's NASCAR world of cost cutting?

I will say today's race was nothing like Daytona in February. Those cars def were getting bigger runs, not sure what happened today.

How did they fix Sears Point (if I’m right about which track)
Put a chi Chan (did I spell that right) in the back stretch
Then you can throw away the restrictor plate

How did they fix Sears Point (if I’m right about which track)
Put a chi Chan (did I spell that right) in the back stretch
Then you can throw away the restrictor plate
'Chicane', and I don't know if an unrestricted car wouldn't be able to get back up to an 'unsafe' speed by the time it got back around the front dog leg. They definitely would be up to speed along the back; is there RV parking back there?

*'Unsafe' as in 'capable of getting through the catch fence'.

Ironically the first plate race I like in several seasons comes while everyone else cannot stand what they saw.

The xfinity race was beautiful actually. Reminded me a lot of the 90s plate races when they were fuel racing.

Haha @ bring back the good ol days racing comments when they happen

Oh geebus, not this again:owquitit::owquitit::owquitit::owquitit:

I’ll double what I said in the rate the race thread. Drivers are stuck on the idea that you have to make a move with 2 to go. Sh1t just doesn’t work anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with it.... sure it would be nice to lose the plates but it is what it is. Not every race can be a barn burner. I’ve enjoyed most of the plate races over the past few years..

Eliminating the ride height rule has hurt the racing IMO. Cars are to unstable with the spoilers down so low to push /get a good run going. I saw a lot of cars not able to run within less than a half car length behind someone today

Here, the new and improved Talladega Superspeedway course. This includes a superspeedway, a road course and a dirt track. :)

upload_2018-4-29_22-18-57.png

Short tracks and road courses are boring. Talladega and Daytona put on the best shows of the year.

Back
Top Bottom