How Do We Fix Plate Racing

This. Doesn’t matter what they do to the cars. When the drivers don’t want to race for win, the rules package is irrelevant.

I blame this primarily on the entitled veteran guard. The young guys seem to have no problem mixing it up.

I don't know, a lot of the young guys kind of wait it out.

Chase Elliott mixes it up for sure, but he's been a common factor in so many big crashes, I can see why people would be hesitant to go with him in the final laps. But most of the others seem to ride it out too.

Get them off the ground and cut the splitter off.
That wont fix anything unless coil binding is eliminated. Sideforce is the main contributor.
If I see a sedan on the road, unless I'm close enough to see the badge, I can't tell one from the other. Sometimes even the SUVs look alike.
Race cars are the same --- the only way I know one from the other is because I know who is driving what manufacturer.
You mean you cant tell the difference between a Fusion, Camry, or Malibu? o_O
Crossovers do mostly look alike now.
but he's been a common factor in so many big crashes
Not really

This. Doesn’t matter what they do to the cars. When the drivers don’t want to race for win, the rules package is irrelevant.

I blame this primarily on the entitled veteran guard. The young guys seem to have no problem mixing it up.
a tweener won it.

You would think by this time they would know the maximum terminal velocity required, to keep these cars from flying. :idunno:

I mean, with all they have done Jamie still got airborne with the car slammed and with a big ole front splitter.
They do. Raise the ride height and/or lose the splitter and it changes.

I watched a tandem race last week, sorry man I couldn't quit laughing, a wide shot reminded me of a super market basket race.

Agree lol, it looks bizarre and really didn’t deliver anything I liked. Sort of reminded me of wheelbarrow races in elementary school.

My formula is simple:

> Get drafting to matter again (where cars can be at a bit of a disadvantage when leading) so slingshot passing works.
> Lower horsepower and remove the plate. Find the right combination that gives a boost for power to pass.

You would think by this time they would know the maximum terminal velocity required, to keep these cars from flying. :idunno:

I mean, with all they have done Jamie still got airborne with the car slammed and with a big ole front splitter.
you have that DVR and all, if you would have replayed it or watched a little longer when they slo moed it, you would have seen that Newman ran into him...that kinda messes up all the safety features to keep it from doing that .

Agree lol, it looks bizarre and really didn’t deliver anything I liked. Sort of reminded me of wheelbarrow races in elementary school.

My formula is simple:

> Get drafting to matter again (where cars can be at a bit of a disadvantage when leading) so slingshot passing works.
> Lower horsepower and remove the plate. Find the right combination that gives a boost for power to pass.
some of them go crazy when mentioned, but the Xfinity race package at Indy did just that.

If I see a sedan on the road, unless I'm close enough to see the badge, I can't tell one from the other. Sometimes even the SUVs look alike.
Race cars are the same --- the only way I know one from the other is because I know who is driving what manufacturer.
The front grill for me is the defining factor.. it's easy to find Fords and now the Camaro is pretty different as well. But from the side or back not so much.

But how far can they really push for the win? I get wanting drivers to race for the win but guys can't take out a bunch of innocent bystanders with a kamikaze move. There has to be a level of decorum on plate races. For as long as there's been plate racing there's been guys afraid to step out of line at the end. I loved Irvan but Swirvin' had to address the drivers in '92 after causing a big one. Then 4 years later at 'Dega he nearly killed Sr. after sending Marlin into him. I thought the way the 500 ended this year was cheap. It doesn't take talent to "move" someone out of the way. There's such a fine line....

Maybe someone with more engineering knowledge can provide some info.

I was talking to my father and we came to the agreement that the modern NASCAR car has not deviated much from the 1989 Thunderbird. That generation of T-bird evolved but the basic design is very much apparent in today's cars. Today's cars have a larger greenhouse and big side skirts but the principles are there. I feel like you could have put Bill's JJ ride out there yesterday and with a couple of sheet metal tweaks he would have survived in the draft.

b0c54b47a358f1473669668f91f53c08.jpg

Old_School_NASCAR-_Bill_Elliott_1994.jpg

Last edited:
If Kurt and Harvick backed off and started there own line they could have won. Why follow Logano for 30 laps!!!!!

you have that DVR and all, if you would have replayed it or watched a little longer when they slo moed it, you would have seen that Newman ran into him...that kinda messes up all the safety features to keep it from doing that .

I did watch it several times, he was going airborn before Newman hit him.

I have been to races at Daytona and Fontana, and watched tire testing at Bristol, but I would love to go to Talladega some time if our schedules would ever permit it. Last year our Atlanta race was on the same weekend and this year our Charlotte race was on the same weekend. At least I got to stop by this year and watch the vendors and camping fans set up their camps on the way from Houston to Charlotte.:)

I did watch it several times, he was going airborn before Newman hit him.
If Newman wasnt there to hit him, McMurrays car would have never gone over. Cars lift all the time then the flaps sit them back down.

Nope, just look at the ratings of those two race tracks and that will tell you everything. Restrictor plate raceing puts on the best show NASCAR has to offer.
Ratings indicate popularity. McDonald's sells the most hamburgers but I don't know anyone who says they're the best.

If Newman wasnt there to hit him, McMurrays car would have never gone over. Cars lift all the time then the flaps sit them back down.
So the solution to getting airborne is to run one car at a time? As long as the plates force pack racing, standalone 'lift off' speed is irrelevant.

So the solution to getting airborne is to run one car at a time? As long as the plates force pack racing, standalone 'lift off' speed is irrelevant.
I didnt say that was a solution. I was explaining what happened with McMurray . What do you mean stand alone lift off speed is irrelevant?

I didnt say that was a solution. I was explaining what happened with McMurray . What do you mean stand alone lift off speed is irrelevant?
It doesn't matter what the minimum speed is for a car to get off the ground if it isn't running by itself. I think it's great NASCAR was able to raise the minimum lift off during the off season, but cars haven't taken off on their own in years. Look back at all the airborne incidents at both tracks in the last decade. Almost all are due to the car getting hit. Pack racing leaves drivers far less reaction time than when they can get some space between themselves.

It doesn't matter what the minimum speed is for a car to get off the ground if it isn't running by itself. I think it's great NASCAR was able to raise the minimum lift off during the off season, but cars haven't taken off on their own in years. Look back at all the airborne incidents at both tracks in the last decade. Almost all are due to the car getting hit. Pack racing leaves drivers far less reaction time than when they can get some space between themselves.
As long as these cars are built to go forwards, when one turns sideways or backwards at high speed tracks things are gonna get ugly.

Ratings indicate popularity. McDonald's sells the most hamburgers but I don't know anyone who says they're the best.
McDonald's does have the best fast food burgers. It's really a subjective thing but if the restrictor plate races draw the best crowds and rating then that means to the casual viewer these races put on the best show.
Ratings don't equate to the best racing, in no way is plate racing the best.
I didn't say it was the best racing, I said it put on the best show.

To me year ratings are great, but some people like the big tracks that have plates, some like the road courses, some like certain tracks, whatever.

I like all of it. But I'm a NASCAR shill so what do I know
I've found it is a lot better to accept Nascar warts n all than to constantly complain about every little thing I can't change anyway. but to each his own..I'm a fanboy shill, whatever. Always been a car lover, knew every car on the road make and year at 6 years old. That was back when you could tell them apart.

Back
Top Bottom