How many of you were offended that Kyle Larson said Chili Bowl win bigger than Daytona 500?

Kyle Larson is Racing in Nascar so he can earn plenty of money so he can retire early and then do what he wants to in Sprints for the rest of his life, that is just fine with me. JMHO

If anyone is offended by what he said, well then, they are just dumb asses.

BTW, Nascar Radio on XM/Sirius? I cancelled my subscription 2 years ago, waste of time. Especially the Morning Drive segment.

I like to think NASCAR fans are not as easily offended as other groups in society.
I would tend to agree with that. But there are a number of NASCAR snobs that feel like NASCAR is the only legit form of racing, that dirt racing is for amateurs.

Ask tony stewart about dirt racing. alot of these guys LOVE the dirt.

Let's get the (expletive) quote right:
“Sorry NASCAR and Daytona but this is the biggest (expletive) win I’ve ever had,” said the 27-year-old Californian who started third. “This is badass and I’ve spent almost half my life trying to win this thing. It’s an amazing feeling.”

He also went on to say 'Obviously the 500 is a bigger race with a bigger purse, but personally, this means more' but we can just cherry pick I guess.

The way I see it is that he accomplished something that took great skill, and he found it to be a challenging and fun journey in accomplishing this feat, so he reacted the way a delighted person would.

I had no idea this was going on. What i would like to know is exactly who are the people that are offended. I had to look up the definition just to make sure I understood the word.If someone is truly offended by his comments, I feel sorry for them and what kind of life they must be living.

offended
adjective
uk

/əˈfendɪd/ us

upset and angry, often because someone has been rude:

I’m a Larson fan and glad he finally won his biggest race. But at the same token, he’s made it obvious with his attitude and unwillingness to learn about the cars or how to adjust a setup that he is doing nascar to make money and fund his kick ass dirt team. That’s fine by me, it’s his life, but I also don’t think NASCAR fans should be criticized for being annoyed by a guy that continually hints he doesn’t like this kind of racing. The same fans that you guys are making fun of are the ones that keep this sport in business, just saying.

... his ... unwillingness to learn about the cars or how to adjust a setup that he is doing nascar to make money and turn his kick ass dirt team.
Usually, you post things that make it obvious that you know what you're talking about.

Not today.

I also don’t think NASCAR fans should be criticized for being annoyed by a guy that continually hints he doesn’t like this kind of racing.
Someone remind me: despite the money and his ability, didn't Sr. actively dislike plate racing?

I have difficulty believing that Kyle Larson has ever said a single word about being unwilling or unable to learn about the cars or about how to adjust them.

But, hey ... to each his own.

I’m a Larson fan and glad he finally won his biggest race. But at the same token, he’s made it obvious with his attitude and unwillingness to learn about the cars or how to adjust a setup that he is doing nascar to make money and fund his kick ass dirt team. That’s fine by me, it’s his life, but I also don’t think NASCAR fans should be criticized for being annoyed by a guy that continually hints he doesn’t like this kind of racing. The same fans that you guys are making fun of are the ones that keep this sport in business, just saying.

I knew there was one out there, they always start out with I'm a fan BUT.

From Gluck. He's been to a handful of dirt races now and interfaced with the people who live and breathe it, and so he gets it.

It’s been half sad, half funny to see the reaction from some corners of NASCAR Nation after Kyle Larson won the Chili Bowl and promptly said – again – it was a bigger win for him than a Daytona 500 would be.

Well … duh. Of course it is. Larson grew up as the son of two mega dirt racing fans who have bought Chili Bowl tickets longer than Kyle has been in the event. His parents, Mike and Janet, would still travel from Northern California to Tulsa every winter even if Kyle never raced. This is a family who used their vacation time to visit dirt tracks instead of the beach.

Tulsa and Knoxville are races Larson has dreamed of winning his entire life, long before NASCAR was ever on the radar. They have an incalculable amount of personal significance, which means no other events – not Daytona, not the Indy 500 – could be bigger for him. Ever.

That shouldn’t be so hard to understand, but it somehow is. Larson angered NASCAR executives and fans two years ago when he used a pre-Chili Bowl radio interview to make the relatively innocent comment that “for me, the Chili Bowl is bigger than the Daytona 500.” He echoed that statement Saturday night, couched by a “Sorry, NASCAR.”

But he shouldn’t have to explain, apologize or feel the slightest bit of hesitation about his comments. Larson is clearly saying this is the case for him. Not for everyone. Larson never argued the Chili Bowl was a more important event in the broader racing world than the Daytona 500, which rivals Indy for North America’s greatest race. And yet it stung NASCAR loyalists to hear a prominent Cup driver say such a thing two years ago.

Of course the article is behind The Athletic paywall, so I'm only posting the most relevant section.

https://theathletic.com/1550552/2020/01/21/gluck-kyle-larson-deserves-your-appreciation-not-scorn/

It isn't surprising that the press would pick up on the negative. Nobody said sheet about how many dirt track fans will watch or be interested in Nascar since Larson and sometimes Bell and Stewart etc. have been traveling around half of the world in celebrity because of both Nascar and dirt racing. I'm sure there are those who are one trick ponies and love one and hate the other, but they are a small minority the press is trying to inflame. Good news doesn't sell even though the bad is mostly B.S.

I don't think for one moment that Kyle Larson doesn't give it his all when he is in any type of race car. If he didn't care about winning in Nascar then he would not have won last year and would not have been close to winning on many other times in the past. Fans use to criticize him for pushing so hard that he would bang the wall. They called it chocking...I call it going for a win and not wanting to settle for second. If he wasn't racing hard he wouldn't ever hit the wall. Plus when most of the other teams were laying back at Homestead Kyle Larson was racing up front even though he wasn't even in the championship hunt. Just because he loves doing something else doesn't mean he doesn't give his all at the job that pays his bills.

A tad. I don't think he meant it's a bigger race. Just that it means more to him than the 500.

Nascar racing is his day job.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Gotta love "outrage culture" where everyone just sits and waits to be triggered. Just like those people in traffic who look for any reason to freak out at someone.

Drivers holding up their phone while going 39 in a 45 mph zone need to have their licenses revoked and given the Uber App and a bus schedule. I've got places to be... :)

Drivers holding up their phone while going 39 in a 45 mph zone need to have their licenses revoked and given the Uber App and a bus schedule. I've got places to be... :)
Geez, the ones around here aren't going as fast as 39. That's assuming they notice the light turned green.

After winning Saturday's Chili Bowl midget race, Kyle Larson said that win was and would be bigger than winning the Daytona 500. Many of the NASCAR shills like Mikey Waltrip and others jumped on to social media at the horror of such a statement. I dare say a number of fans said the same thing.

Honestly, I agree with Kyle Larson. Over 300 midget drivers come from all over the world to compete in the Chilli Bowl A main & for six days, everyone has to be 100% on top of their game. It is six days of grueling racing to get a shot at one of the 20 or 30 spots for the A main. You win at the Chili Bowl, you are the best of the best.

Compare that to Daytona where 35 teams of a 40 car field are guaranteed a starting spot, the remaining 5 are basically start & parkers. Now add in the lottery system of plate tracks... Yea, the Daytona 500 really doesn't compare to the Chilli Bowl.

Honestly, I agree with Kyle Larson. Over 300 midget drivers come from all over the world to compete in the Chilli Bowl A main & for six days, everyone has to be 100% on top of their game. It is six days of grueling racing to get a shot at one of the 20 or 30 spots for the A main. You win at the Chili Bowl, you are the best of the best.

Compare that to Daytona where 35 teams of a 40 car field are guaranteed a starting spot, the remaining 5 are basically start & parkers. Now add in the lottery system of plate tracks... Yea, the Daytona 500 really doesn't compare to the Chilli Bowl.

they could give everybody an all e all e in free, 50 cars or more and there still would be only a handful at the end of the race (survivors). It's the most glamorous, expensive, highest speed demo derby race on the planet. I'm offended AND I'll need a therapist after it's over.

they could give everybody an all e all e in free, 50 cars or more and there still would be only a handful at the end of the race (survivors). It's the most glamorous, expensive, highest speed demo derby race on the planet. I'm offended AND I'll need a therapist after it's over.
Tony, is that you? :blink:

Anyone offended by what Kyle said should probably consider seeing a therapist.
Disagree in general.

That said, people who tend to get over offended by things that aren't personal could probably use some CBT or IFS... So, yeah. In some cases, I'm sure you're right.

Unfortunately, that's 50% of people on the road. And they are getting more comfortable driving at normal speeds here, unfortunately.

Hey, wait a minute! Didn't Michael Waltrip his own se'f once say something like 'Daytona can be won by any monkey trained to hold the pedal to the floor'? That doesn't sound particularly respectful to me.

I don't think for one moment that Kyle Larson doesn't give it his all when he is in any type of race car. If he didn't care about winning in Nascar then he would not have won last year and would not have been close to winning on many other times in the past. Fans use to criticize him for pushing so hard that he would bang the wall. They called it chocking...I call it going for a win and not wanting to settle for second. If he wasn't racing hard he wouldn't ever hit the wall. Plus when most of the other teams were laying back at Homestead Kyle Larson was racing up front even though he wasn't even in the championship hunt. Just because he loves doing something else doesn't mean he doesn't give his all at the job that pays his bills.

A clean race car sometimes means no risks taken. Risks=possibility of reward.

Start at the beginning and tell me that the thread title needs someone (who has reading comprehensive skills) had anything to do with the thread.

A clean race car sometimes means no risks taken. Risks=possibility of reward.
:booya::booya:
iu

A big hammer and a little bondo and paint and that car will be ready for the next race.:D Now to put us back on the real topic so that no one gets offended here I will say that I have never been offended by anything that Kyle Larson has ever said and I think that the fact that he even mentioned the Daytona 500 just shows how much respect he has for that race and I think that is a lot. If someone gets offended by what he said I don't know how they can handle the fans on here that are always saying that the Daytona 500 isn't a real race and it doesn't take any skill to win there. I'm becoming more and more of a Larson fan each year.:)

It seems Kyle was misquoted, which bugs me, but even if he wasn't, I wouldn't have an issue with with it. He's free to rank the importance of the races he competes in any way he wants. I will also say that Kyle seems to bring a lot of this scrutiny, legitimate or not, upon himself. I have no idea how he REALLY feels about NASCAR, but at least to me, he gives off the vibe that he would really RATHER be someplace else most of the time. It's also fine with me if he actually DOES feel that way, but if he does, I have to wonder if is holding him back in NASCAR. Desire and a positive attitude go a long way.

Back
Top Bottom