"Huge" NASCAR/ARCA announcement ..

Right . Drop one of the strongest draws in the truck series. Gotcha.

I don't agree with that particular opinion of @Charlie Spencer's, but I respect his right to have it. I can see why some struggle to enjoy the dirt. Personally I would rather see the Truck Series commit to running two or three dirt tracks and establish a package that was somewhat more amenable to them. However, @StandOnIt has pointed out that the purse for the Eldora race is quite small, and the event doesn't make much sense economically from the teams' standpoint. I struggle to understand how they can run their $50k to win sprints and late model races, and pay $15k to win for Trucks.

Last edited:
I don't understand why about Eldora, the place is sold out and for a truck race the ratings are good. Maybe it is because of the expense of carnage for the teams. BTW that was Kyle Bush that said that about the economics of Eldora. But the race draws quite a few who aren't regular truck racers into the event, so there is that.

I don't agree with that particular opinion of @Charlie Spencer's, but I respect his right to have it. I can see why some struggle to enjoy the dirt. Personally I would rather see the Truck Series commit to running two or three dirt tracks and establish a package that was somewhat more amenable to them. However, @StandOnIt has pointed out that the purse for the Eldora race is quite small, and the event doesn't make much sense economically from the teams' standpoint. I struggle to understand how they can run their $50k to win sprints and late model races, and pay $15k to win for Trucks.
15K to win? Its over twice that, Bell won almost $40,000.00 in 2015 and the paydown is much larger than the other series that run at Eldora.

15K to win? Its over twice that, Bell won almost $40,000.00 in 2015 and the paydown is much larger than the other series that run at Eldora.

Unless I'm mistaken, that was the figure cited last year by @StandOnIt via an interview with Kyle Busch in which he said it cost $15k to hang a body and that was what they were racing for to win. That's what I was remembering. As i said, I could hardly believe it. If it's wrong, that would make more sense.

that wasn't what Kyle Busch said about the race. I can't find it so far, It might have been on satellite radio.

Unless I'm mistaken, that was the figure cited last year by @StandOnIt via an interview with Kyle Busch in which he said it cost $15k to hang a body and that was what they were racing for to win. That's what I was remembering. As i said, I could hardly believe it. If it's wrong, that would make more sense.
I'll just use this from 2015 since NASCAR isnt disclosing purses anymore. From what I understand the purses have gone up a good bit since this due to the TV contract.

Attachments

• cts_11eldora2015results (2).pdf
    19.6 KB · Views: 536
KDB would never lie. :p:D I could be wrong, been wrong before, but what he also said that was if you won the race you broke even..oh well glad it is better than that.

I love the uniqueness of the Eldora race. Went to the first two and found it to be a helluva show. Tune into it now for that same reason.
Yep, and I'd still be going every year if it wasn't so damn far.

KDB would never lie. :p:D I could be wrong, been wrong before, but what he also said that was if you won the race you broke even..oh well glad it is better than that.
For him he probably did break even since his trucks are the cup series versions. The smaller teams dont think like that :D

Tulsa's Danny Eslick just won it for the fourth time. What the heck you talkin about?

Daytona Motorsports group which was/is owned by the France family bought ama in 08 or 09. That group single-handedly ruined professional motorcycle roadracing in the US by telling the four major manufacturers that factory teams weren't welcome in the series. They assumed that the NASCAR model would work everywhere so they kicked out the factories, promised $50,000 event purses that never materialized and did other stupid things like institute rolling starts which was a nightmare.

After they showed their greed by asking for tracks to pay much more money than their product was worth for the series to race there, tracks stopped hosting them and the series was finally sold when they had a measly five rounds per season. Once the NASCAR/Daytona group had to admit defeat, the writing was on the wall for the 200 to be a part of the new national series since as the NASCAR/DMG group proved how little they cared for the sport and couldn't come to an agreement with the new professional series to have the 200 as an official round. It's now being sanctioned by the CCS/ASRA group and while they're a great group, it's not a professional series.

They moved the 200 at night thinking it would draw more fans. It worked in 2003 with the bud shootout and thought it would also work with the 200. During bike week night time is partying. The first year they ran at night drew about 4,000 fans. Now the race draws less than 5,000 from a high of 20,000.

Daytona Motorsports group which was/is owned by the France family bought ama in 08 or 09. That group single-handedly ruined professional motorcycle roadracing in the US by telling the four major manufacturers that factory teams weren't welcome in the series. They assumed that the NASCAR model would work everywhere so they kicked out the factories, promised $50,000 event purses that never materialized and did other stupid things like institute rolling starts which was a nightmare.

After they showed their greed by asking for tracks to pay much more money than their product was worth for the series to race there, tracks stopped hosting them and the series was finally sold when they had a measly five rounds per season. Once the NASCAR/Daytona group had to admit defeat, the writing was on the wall for the 200 to be a part of the new national series since as the NASCAR/DMG group proved how little they cared for the sport and couldn't come to an agreement with the new professional series to have the 200 as an official round. It's now being sanctioned by the CCS/ASRA group and while they're a great group, it's not a professional series.

They moved the 200 at night thinking it would draw more fans. It worked in 2003 with the bud shootout and thought it would also work with the 200. During bike week night time is partying. The first year they ran at night drew about 4,000 fans. Now the race draws less than 5,000 from a high of 20,000.

Since when is it NASCARS model to kick out Factory makes? Its exactly the opposite.

Since when is it NASCARS model to kick out Factory makes? Its exactly the opposite.

• The Grand Am road racing model (which was Jim France's deal) was EXACTLY that, eliminating factory teams, in direct contrast to the ALMS, which fully embraced them. In the Grand Am case, I think he was exactly right and the product in my opinion was very good. However, in the all out quest to bring professional sports car racing under one roof again (IMSA) France sold his soul to the ALMS backers and the FIA, which governs sports car racing in the rest of the world. Now IMSA has factory teams in the Prototype and GT LeMans class, as well as the GT Daytona class, where they swore there never would be any. As for the motorcycle racing, I don't know enough about it to have an opinion. As a general rule though, I am TOTALLY opposed to direct factory racing teams.

• The Grand Am road racing model (which was Jim France's deal) was EXACTLY that, eliminating factory teams, in direct contrast to the ALMS, which fully embraced them. In the Grand Am case, I think he was exactly right and the product in my opinion was very good. However, in the all out quest to bring professional sports car racing under one roof again (IMSA) France sold his soul to the ALMS backers and the FIA, which governs sports car racing in the rest of the world. Now IMSA has factory teams in the Prototype and GT LeMans class, as well as the GT Daytona class, where they swore there never would be any. As for the motorcycle racing, I don't know enough about it to have an opinion. As a general rule though, I am TOTALLY opposed to direct factory racing teams.
Grand Am isnt NASCAR

What full-fledged factory teams are in GTD this weekend? There were two last year because there was a predetermined agreement Acura and Lexus could run them to showcase their cars for customers.

I'm sorry my side comment distracted everyone. Where were we? Oh, yeah...

ARCA, good business deal, no dirt, etc.

What full-fledged factory teams are in GTD this weekend? There were two last year because there was a predetermined agreement Acura and Lexus could run them to showcase their cars for customers.

OK, point taken, but the fact is that the precedent (a very BAD one in my opinion) has already been set. Do you really think they will say no the next time?

Grand Am isnt NASCAR

NASCAR encourages factory SUPPORT, not factory owned and run teams with equipment nobody else can buy. You cannot get a Cadillac DPi or a GTLM Corvette unless GM says so. In my opinion, EVERY piece of factory supplied equipment should be available at a "reasonable" price to anyone who wants it.

OK, point taken, but the fact is that the precedent (a very BAD one in my opinion) has already been set. Do you really think they will say no the next time?
It will raise the hackles of some, but I believe Toyota in cup is a thinly veiled factory team, pushed almost every boundary in all of the series on down. I don't think it has particularly hurt anything, but I do believe it would if all of the manufacturers followed that route. I use F-1 as an example. It's a slippery slope.

It will raise the hackles of some, but I believe Toyota in cup is a thinly veiled factory team, pushed almost every boundary in all of the series on down. I don't think it has particularly hurt anything, but I do believe it would if all of the manufacturers followed that route. I use F-1 as an example. It's a slippery slope.

I MIGHT be able to be convinced to agree with you, especially with TRD supplying the engines to all but the backmarkers. The ONLY way you would ever know for sure is to see who is actually making the key decisions.

Back
Top Bottom