Hurricane Matthew

Are we even sure it's going to loop back yet? I thought that was still just a possibility.

They seem pretty sure, but the European computer model and the Canadian computer model has gone back to North Carolina getting slammed before it makes the hard right turn. I wouldn't be surprised if the NHC changes the track again.

MSNBC kept saying "low confidence" all day when talking about the forecast path.

Over by Orlando. Got everything we needed today.
Great, everyone seems to be ready. I come from Puerto Rico, have lived through hurricanes all my life, countless of them, so I am very seasoned on them... Right now just protected the big windows, eveything else will hold up well, high impact glass, so no worries, I got what I need for the aftermath: gas tank full, grill, charcoal, some beef cuts and BBQ sauce (and some cold ones to combat the heat)...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

They've got the 'panic squads' out in full force, making sure everyone is suitably terrified.
If that saves one first responder or National Guardsman from going out at 2:00 am in 100mph+ winds, blinding rain, and three feet of rushing water to rescue some now-panicked idjit who stayed for his 'Hurricane Parrrrrr-teeeee!', all the better.

Last edited:
I have been through some garden variety tornado's and flooding but nothing that reaches the level of what many have experienced. I think I will stick with my Great Lakes!

I have been through some garden variety tornado's and flooding but nothing that reaches the level of what many have experienced. I think I will stick with my Great Lakes!
Honeslty, I'll take a hurricane over a tornado any day. There's plenty of advance warning with a hurricane. I'll take them over five months of lake effect snow.

My wife is from So Cal and there's no way in hell she wants to go through any more earthquakes. Hurricanes can be brutal but they come with ample warnings and enough time to get your shiit together, unlike earthquakes. Same with tornados as they give no or little warning.

Honeslty, I'll take a hurricane over a tornado any day. There's plenty of advance warning with a hurricane. I'll take them over five months of lake effect snow.

I am glad I don't have to deal with either of them although the area once in a while does get a tornado that causes indiscriminate relatively minor damage. One night I was out in my garage listening to the roar of the wind and heard the tops of pine trees being snapped like matchsticks a mile south of me.

Fall is my favorite time of year as I love the splendor of all the colors and the sharpness of the cooler air. I like winter too providing there is lots of snow and cold as there is nothing worse than a lukewarm winter that looks gray and dirty. To the northwest of me gets a lot of lake effect snow but we mainly get system snow but I love the unpredictability of the bands of lake effect snow. In a long 5 mile wide band a place can get hammered and the ground is dry as a bone just outside of it before you drive into another one. I don't ski but I like to go up north into Michigan around those areas where there is normally good amounts of snow and take my truck down modest trails or untraveled roads.

When I was in Venice a week ago I felt like I was going to die as the heat and humidity were oppressive to me. I felt like I needed a chainsaw to cut through the atmosphere. I felt back at home again when I woke up in Murphy NC and the morning temps were in the 40's and they never got much warmer as I ascended the mountains. Even when I was back on flatland the temp never got above 73 and it was perfect for me. Bring on the cold and snow for this guy!

Two words: Upper Peninsula

Say-Ya-to-da-UP-eh-Plate__05036.1466302048.1280.1280.jpg

If that saves one first responder or National Guardsman from going out at 2:00 am in 100mph+ winds, blinding rain, and three feet of rushing water to rescue some now-panicked idjit who stayed for his 'Hurricane Parrrrrr-teeeee!', all the better.

If someone is told to leave and they stay, they should know they do so at their own peril. Wind blows the roof off the house and water rises to the rafters and there is no place for them to go, tough nuggies. There are plenty of "tough talkers" until they see their life flash before their eyes and then cry out to God and the National Guard to save them from their "toughness." Why should the National Guard or any other agency put their lives at risk to save one i - o - dot.

Now, the sign language guy for Governor Halley, he's funny. I'm waiting to see if he makes a simulated movement of wiping his butt to show he's scared poopless of Hurricane Mathew.

If someone is told to leave and they stay, they should know they do so at their own peril. Wind blows the roof off the house and water rises to the rafters and there is no place for them to go, tough nuggies. There are plenty of "tough talkers" until they see their life flash before their eyes and then cry out to God and the National Guard to save them from their "toughness." Why should the National Guard or any other agency put their lives at risk to save one i - o - dot.
Unfortunately, sometimes these enlightened individuals have children with them.

Otherwise, I agree completely. Let the tide carry them out as fish food. People who don't have insurance shouldn't be bailed out or allowed to rebuild in the exact same location. People who don't wear helmets or seat belts should be left on the shoulder of the road as object lessons.

My darling bride tells me my milk of human kindness has curdled.

When you're trying to improve a breed, you have to deal with the useless puppies. If you don't, they soon outnumber the improved. Our breed is sadly in need of improving.

Reactions: sdj
So..... I can't help but be drawn to the news about the pending hurricane. Like others have said, we seem to have so much advanced warning on these storms yet it seems that many fail to listen to the advice. I have never really had to deal with the storms as I'm far enough away from them but I do have to wonder with so much advanced warning, why don't the people in the line of the storm take notice? Seems many have and they are bugging out. In the meantime, I'm sitting here watching some Weather Channel reporter on the beach telling people that they need to get the heck outta there. In the background are families taking in the sights of the large waves. IDIOTS. Maybe this is simply the thinning of the herd. Good luck to them. Good luck to any of you that decide to ride it out. Kudos to those of you that were smart enough to listen and take the precautions to protect your families. Looks like you in for a tough fight. I wish you all well.

Me..... I'm thinking that when they take the time to open all the roads in an outbound direction from your area. It's time to leave.

Coastal Carolina web cams. One of the Southport NC web cams is at Fishy Fishy Cafe, a restaurant I've eaten at several times. Outdoor deck with great bird watching. Pelicans, egrets, herons, gulls, osprey, ibis, etc. The other Southport camera is a few hundred yards away; each camera's mounting point is visible from the other.

http://surfchex.com/web-cams.php

Last edited:
So..... I can't help but be drawn to the news about the pending hurricane. Like others have said, we seem to have so much advanced warning on these storms yet it seems that many fail to listen to the advice. I have never really had to deal with the storms as I'm far enough away from them but I do have to wonder with so much advanced warning, why don't the people in the line of the storm take notice? Seems many have and they are bugging out. In the meantime, I'm sitting here watching some Weather Channel reporter on the beach telling people that they need to get the heck outta there. In the background are families taking in the sights of the large waves. IDIOTS. Maybe this is simply the thinning of the herd. Good luck to them. Good luck to any of you that decide to ride it out. Kudos to those of you that were smart enough to listen and take the precautions to protect your families. Looks like you in for a tough fight. I wish you all well.

Me..... I'm thinking that when they take the time to open all the roads in an outbound direction from your area. It's time to leave.

I think a lot of those who stick around have once been the smart ones who listen to the advice and get the heck out of there. Then they realize that they evacuated and ditched everything, only to have the storm miss their location completely. They feel like if it missed their location once, it'll miss their location the next time. They feel like the weather stations are overplaying the hype, but they fail to realize that weather isn't 100% predictable. It happens not just with hurricanes. I know quite often the local weather stations will predict a massive snowstorm, so people will rush to the stores and empty the shelves, then it ends up we get 1-2 inches of snow and no more.

Every time there's a storm that churns up the ocean creating good size waves the 'ripple rider surfers' here think they're riding the pipeline in Hawaii. Local police chief requests they stop by the station for photo's because none of the towns EMS will risk their lives to ''save their mangy asses'', direct quote btw. . The photo's will make it easier to ID their bodies if they wash ashore.

Every time there's a storm that churns up the ocean creating good size waves the 'ripple rider surfers' here think they're riding the pipeline in Hawaii. Local police chief requests they stop by the station for photo's because none of the towns EMS will risk their lives to ''save their mangy asses'', direct quote btw. . The photo's will make it easier to ID their bodies if they wash ashore.
In the National Guard we sometimes had to try enforcing the evacuation orders.

"Good afternoon, sir. I'm here to inform you the governor has ordered a mandatory evacuation."
"We ain't going nowhere. Gonna stay right here and ride it out."
"You're aware the electric utility will be turning the power off in couple of hours to minimize damage to their systems?"
"Gots us a generator!"
"That's good, sir. I just need the name and phone numbers of your next of kin."
"Wha-?"

Hurricanes happen every year. Deadly earthquakes, about every 1/4 century.

There are deadly earthquakes some where in the world every year, hundreds killed or left homeless, just awful, no warning, just there it is. Most recent in memory was in Italy, hundreds killed.

But, to each his own. I will still take an occasional hurricane over an earthquake any day. JMHO

There are deadly earthquakes some where in the world every year, hundreds killed or left homeless, just awful, no warning, just there it is. Most recent in memory was in Italy, hundreds killed.

But, to each his own. I will still take an occasional hurricane over an earthquake any day. JMHO
I was referring to US earthquakes. Most of the deaths from earthquakes in other parts of the world are caused during the collapse of older/ancient construction houses and buildings.
Anyhow, if you're in the path of this hurricane, batten down and stay safe. :cheers:

I was referring to US earthquakes. Most of the deaths from earthquakes in other parts of the world are caused during the collapse of older/ancient construction houses and buildings.
Anyhow, if you're in the path of this hurricane, batten down and stay safe. :cheers:

Thanks, I am as battened down as I can get, looks like we will see 50 to 80 MPH winds at my house and we are ready. Just pray the duration is short. I hope this thing kicks in the afterburners and hauls ass outa here.

In the National Guard we sometimes had to try enforcing the evacuation orders.

"Good afternoon, sir. I'm here to inform you the governor has ordered a mandatory evacuation."
"We ain't going nowhere. Gonna stay right here and ride it out."
"You're aware the electric utility will be turning the power off in couple of hours to minimize damage to their systems?"
"Gots us a generator!"
"That's good, sir. I just need the name and phone numbers of your next of kin."
"Wha-?"

In a sane world, this would be the case. Unfortunately we live in a world where people successfully sue because they weren't stopped from being stupid. You can be sued by a trespasser who gets hit by a rock he was trying to throw through your window. Put an end to that ****e, and maybe we've got a chance. Personally .. I'd hunker down, trusting to my own preps. There are things you can do to tough these situations out. My strengthened shelter in a storm vs a public shelter crammed with people incapable of taking care of themselves in an emergency ... that's not even a discussion.

Hope all you guys on the East Coast who are in the path of Matthew will get out or find a safe place. This thing looks really ugly. Got some friends in Leesburg Fl. But hopefully they are far enough inland to be out of harms way. Looks like Fl. May get a double dose of this thing.

First time ever, I think. Disney World has been shut down.
Hard to stay open when the governor is telling your employees to haul ass. No point in it anyway when the tourists are being asked to stay home. Smart move from a business point of view, and it also sends the message that nobody has any reason to be in central FL.

... Personally .. I'd hunker down, trusting to my own preps. There are things you can do to tough these situations out. My strengthened shelter in a storm vs a public shelter crammed with people incapable of taking care of themselves in an emergency ... that's not even a discussion.
There is not enough preparation an individual can do for 135mph / 215kph winds and 8-10 ft / 2.5-3 meter storm surge on top of a couple of feet / half meter of rain. You sure as hell can't go underground; you'll drown. I've been in one-story cinderblock buildings that swayed in that kind of wind. And it's not just the physical preparation. Until you've been through one, you have no idea of the mental stress. The wind can scream at you for hours. There's only so much gas in your generator, and you aren't going out or to the garage to refill it. When the lights go out, you're not going to be happy, esp. if you have a wife and / or kids.

Sure, I guess you could throw enough money at a shelter to be ready, but the return on investment just ain't there.

I can get out of the path and into perfect safety and comfort at a hotel in a couple of hours and watch Jim Cantore get wet on the tube. I can go a few more hours and inflict myself on relatives or in-laws. I'll have hot water, a comfortable bed, open restaurants, cable and Internet, and will continue to have them during the days the utilities at home are recovering. I realize not everyone has those options but when you do, why stay put?

Last edited:
Reactions: sdj
Back
Top Bottom