Hurricane Matthew

First time ever, I think. Disney World has been shut down.

They said on the weather channel that is has been closed only like 4 or so times. I was curious when So I looked it up and looks like they had closed for a couple other hurricanes as well.

"Disney World has closed 3 previous times for hurricanes: once in 1999 (Floyd) and twice in 2004 (Frances and Jeanne)"

1678968571f0218e81cc8316575b012d.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

5pm bulletin has it turning around and coming back as a storm next tuesday...

My daughter asked me a question that did something really rare ... it stumped me. She asked "If Mat and Nicole meet and merge (one of the forecasts has that) what will they name it?

A few minutes ago, basically local leaders gave Miami the All Clear, it went up the coast further out to sea than anticipated and we are safe, just a little rain and wind for the rest of the night. But not so for the guys up the coast, especially Daytona, hope they make it through without loss of lives...

The 8p update; looks a lot like the 5p. They need to loosen that thing up some; it's pushing like a dump truck.

214535W5_NL_sm.gif

Last edited:
It sounds like Daytona might take a serious hit. Any idea how concerned track officials are?

Crazy how this storm is said to cause mass damage, yet it's not even expected to make landfall in the US. That really shows you just how massive it is.

This is when the hurricane party stops and the panic sets in, I'm sure.
Having been in a couple of hurricane parties when I lived in Miami nothing stops a hurricane party.

I rather imagine that people get used to the doom and gloom warnings being sent whether it is a snow storm, tornado or hurricane. They remember how they got through it and they aren't going to leave their home. I'm guilty of it for the tornadoes so I can see others doing the same. However a hurricane doesn't last a few minutes like a tornado does and if on the coast it can be a long time. Hope that they leave, but if they don't I hope they have a good plan on where to hunker down. I don't blame the police and the NG saying you're on your own until things clear up though.

A good example of people saying "I'll just ride it out"

Russell Colburn@RussellANjax

20 people, including children, stuck in #StAugustine bed & breakfast. They say they're getting worried, as the surge is about to come in
Too bad those children have idiots for guardians. I just hope they don't have to pay the ultimate price for the stupidity of those responsible for them.

Side note. Just read that over 600 have perished in Haiti from this storm. Obviously no reason to fear for safety if you're in the path of Hurricane Matthew.

This seems appropriate...

Ron White: There was a guy, down in Florida, who said that the age of 53 years old he was in good enough physical condition to withstand the wind, rain, and hail of a force-5 hurricane. Now, lemme explain somethin' to ya: It isn't *that* the wind is blowin'. It's *what* the wind is blowin'. If you get hit by a *Volvo*, it don't matter how many sit-ups you did that mornin'.

I wonder how much of its own forecasting MSNBC does and how much they just parrot from NHC.

Well, the NHC said for the past three days we wouldn't get hit. :idunno:

We've already started seeing rain from Matthew. Supposed to really pick up tonight through Sunday. If we get a direct hit, it would actually result in more land inland, but more storm surge flooding here. Again, I'm on the coast.

Biggest problem is the fact that we doubled the "monthly average" for rain last month. So, another 10 inches of rain is gonna cause a lot of problems. Plus a big cold front is going to combine with the storm as well.

Hope all you guys on the East Coast who are in the path of Matthew will get out or find a safe place. This thing looks really ugly. Got some friends in Leesburg Fl. But hopefully they are far enough inland to be out of harms way. Looks like Fl. May get a double dose of this thing.
Leesburg is just fine. High wind gusts and little rain. We have been blest.....again.

Hearing a lot of stories out of FL about the storm that wasn't. And the Fox weather clown.

Our local weather people kept saying "Bad news for Florida will be good news for us". If the storm would've actually made landfall in Florida as a Category 4, like the NHC said it would yesterday, the path would be a little better for us. When it became clear it was gonna remain some 40 miles off the coast, it became clear we'd get the bad stuff they called for two days ago.

I was just watching the news out of Daytona, there's a lot of destruction there. I can't believe the huge storm surge, we were there last week and still can't believe the current state of rhings up there. Very sad as it is one of our favorite vacation spots, hopefully loss of life will be minimal, if any. But we are resilient, we shall get up and recover!!! Saying a prayer for all affected and those still to come. Hang in there and be safe, use common sense and logic.

A bunch of people were making comments on the WCTI Facebook page on Wednesday about being glad they didn't buy hurricane supplies. I bet they feel like dumbass extraordinaires now.

Back
Top Bottom