I need a hat, a chain for my wallet & a can of snuff.

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by dpkimmel2001, Mar 5, 2019.

1. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

They do. In our company is called demerge. I get paid for waiting but my company gets paid a large sum for this truck being off the road waiting to unload.

I don't mind staying here until Saturday if need be. I just want to get to a place to shower and have a decent meal. I slept good last night so I'm good for today, whatever it ends up being.

2. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

I've got to wonder that myself. I left on the scheduled day of delivery at 3am with the load scheduled to be delivered between noon and 4pm. You'd think someone on the receiving end would look at their scheduled deliveries and say...., 'You know what Bob? We've got 6000 gallons of UKiILLZIT-666 scheduled for delivery in two days. We aren't going to be ready for that load until next Saturday. How bout we call and postpone that order until then?'

Oh well watcha gonna do?

I think today's Law and Order Day in ion so I'm good.

Clutch likes this.
  3. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Truck stuff...

So, I've got this ongoing issue with this truck..... Water in the fuel. This truck sat awhile between the guy that drove it before me and me getting in the seat. Not sure if all of that idle time had something to do with it or what. Anyhow there's a drain on the fuel filter where I can drain that water off and all's good again. Today will be about the 5th time I've had to do this.

For you truckers out there. Is this a common thing or will I eventually get it all out of there?

4. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

I've never had a problem with water in the fuel. I have heard of guys getting a bad load of fuel but it isn't common. Most of those have had clogged filters from knocking algae loose running bio fuel.

5. Magnethead

Magnethead Admin & Resident Techie Staff Member

This. See it alot in RV's especially.

I have seen people get a bad diesel tank that was contaminated with water though.

Assume you have a water/fuel separator and that's what you're draining?

6. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

That's probably it. It looks like a filter.

7. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

So..... They ended up sending me to NJ with that full tanker. Someone else will deliver it. I picked up an empty and I'm heading back home. Currently on the back end of my 30 minute break, watching my clock, waiting to drive. 214 miles to go.

Whizzer, Johali and StandOnIt like this.
  8. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

I don't know your setup, but I always liked to message or call night dispatch and ask them about detention when I got hung up..just so none of them happened to conveniently forget and drop the ball between shifts.

9. Magnethead

On our duramax, the separator is part of the fuel filter housing. If the float switch is activated, it turns a dash light on and allows the water to drain out from under the fuel into a catch can. Remember diesel is an oil, oil floats over water. So the water sinks to the bottom of the housing.

10. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

No worries there. One shift, one dispatcher for me to report to. A redundant paper trail along with me signing off on my work week cover my a$$.

Whizzer and Johali like this.
  11. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

What you describe mirrors what I am talking about. If I think of it, I'll take a pic sometime during a pre-trip.

12. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Today's list includes a preload of antifreeze. Some lucky driver gets to haul it to Georgia. I've only hauled this once before but I know it kicks like a jackass on steroids. I've only got to haul it 45 miles or so but half of that on twisty/hilly two lane. There will be a lot of pissed off drivers behind me on that stretch.

If I get back in time I've got a load of waste water to take to the treatment facility.. Today's all hourly as it's all local. Hopefully I can get in this 2nd run today. If so, I will have traveled 2000+ miles 4 days system driving and 1 day hourly. That will be a good money week. My wife will be happy which makes me happy.

13. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Some truck stuff while I wait to be loaded....

Still working on getting my television mounted properly. I had to get an adapter kit to convert the bolt pattern to a different style mount. I initially mounted the plate 90 degrees off of the correct position. I also stripped one of the four screws. I'm going to have to drill that screw out to mount the plate properly.

I just installed an old Bose Radio. I bought it for my dad, who has since passed, about a dozen or so years ago when they were popular. They are very compact and sound great. It was manufactured pre Bluetooth so I currently have it wired to my phone. I'm going to get a Bluetooth adapter and do it there right way soon. I gotta tell you, it sounds freaking awesome. I love music of all kinds. This setup is going to work well.

Whizzer likes this.
  14. Magnethead

VESA mounts are standard on 75x75, 100x100, 200x200, and 400x400 mm bolt patterns. Most of the small TV/computer monitor mounts are dual 75/100 plates and big TV ones are dual 200/400 plates.

75x75: M4 x 10mm
    100x100: M4 x 10mm
    200x200: M6 x 10mm
    400x400: M8 x 15mm

15. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Next week starts off heading to South Charleston, WV, Cincinnati OH and then on to Portage WI. It'll take me through Chicago during rush hour. Never fun.

Whizzer, Clutch and Johali like this.
  16. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Sitting here doing my pre-trip planning this morning..... Google maps satellite view is a great tool. Sure, many of the views are dated but normally they're spot on. Parking is so limited these days. Being able to see exits, truck stops, parking lot configurations is a huge plus for me. I'm not nearly as experienced at parking these things in these tight spaces as most of the truckers out there. My comfort level will rise with time but right now that's the only part of my new job that I dislike. Looking for a place to stay overnight can be stressful if unprepared. A few minutes on Google maps can cut down on that stress at the end of the day.

17. Johali

Johali Team Owner Contributor

I use it when planning our vacation trips also. I find out a great deal more about the routes we want to take, the parks that we want stay at and the places that we want to visit. I'm using it now planning next years adventure.