IMSA 2021

2019 champions and 2020 runners-up in the GS class in Pilot Challenge moving up for the Sprint Cup

Gonna be sad to see these guys go. :( Lots of good things coming ahead to more than make up for them, though.

Man, I'm sad about this news. Mazda honestly has zero interest in motorsports anymore, so we'll see who takes comes about to replace them.

Now that the MX-5 Cup is sanctioned by IMSA, that's all Mazda really needs.

Man, I'm sad about this news. Mazda honestly has zero interest in motorsports anymore, so we'll see who takes comes about to replace them.

Now that the MX-5 Cup is sanctioned by IMSA, that's all Mazda really needs.
Yeah, it sounds like they’re sticking to grassroots club level stuff as well as maintaining Global MX-5. I guess that’s their core racing business anyways but it sucks to see after they turned around such a crappy program to a winner and a contender the last two years.

I think we have at least another 2-3 manufacturers announcing they’re coming to the top class in 2023 which would put it at 5-6 after the Acura/Audi/Porsche announcements. Just a matter of time it seems.

Johnson, Pagenaud, and Nasr are listed in the #31 March 3rd and 4th at Sebring on the testing schedule. It seems like AXR are pretty close on confirming the #48 for the three remaining legs of the Endurance Cup.

This is the LMP3 car Andretti Autosport runs in the Prototype Challenge series. The rules wouldn’t allow Marco to compete at that level, but the team could make the step up to the WeatherTech Championship and see Jarett and Marco share a car.

They had their hand forced with Le Mans moved to the original VIR weekend yesterday, but this works better for everyone and quite frankly last year I thought having more fall events and finishing after both IndyCar and NASCAR was better for TV purposes. Both events will keep NBC coverage but in better windows.

New colors for Corvette team:

It's for Sebring only to "Celebrate their long-running relationship with Mobil 1."

I like the #4.

Missed opportunity to invert the colors on the #3 and go for the Little Red Corvette look.

Please, make sure you read the article. Nothing is official as of yet:

This would be a massive hit to IMSA's growing momentum. Maybe talk to the ACO and find a way to grandfather the GTE Corvette for a season?

This is a pretty significant development in all seriousness. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Last edited:
Please, make sure you read the article. Nothing is official as of yet:

This would be a massive hit to IMSA's growing momentum. Maybe talk to the ACO and find a way to grandfather the GTE Corvette for a season?

This is a pretty significant development in all seriousness. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Run WEC in 2022 and 2023 and come back with a full GT3 program in 2024. That's probably when WEC adopts GT3 too.

I can't see how Corvette running a natural-born GTE-spec waiver wagon in GTD is going to go over well within the paddock. Other teams and OEMs won't even want to run in the same class as them if that happens.

I had a feeling the FIA's annoying-ass 20-car GT3 production requirement was going to be a pain to get over. Consider that they implemented the whole rule to effectively ban factory teams like the Cadillac Pirelli World Challenge program and it's the whole thing coming full circle for GM.

I apologize for sounding like Andy.

Iirc, Porsche are likely to use their 4.0L TTV8 from the Cayenne and Audi possibly their DTM engine upgraded for endurance.

I'd be surprised if Penske didn't get Porsche's factory IMSA program, makes too much sense not to.

What in tha???
It's a difficult situation.

If GM wants to take this action I think the other OEM's and teams would be down for it. Corvette creates a lot of fandom and to sit on it for a year would be a tough ask, the sport will survive with no issue though. Either, Corvette wins and many complaints will be made about it being a detuned GTLM/GTE. If they lose, then the question will be raised if it was even worth doing. I see this like the then new Toro Rosso team running a detuned Cosworth V10 in 2006. Many teams were extremely weary about them running a V10 engine, yet it was done in a way to keep the balance in the field.

GM needs to find a way to keep the GTLM cars alive until the new rule regulation changes come about. Maybe find a customer team interested, however will C8.R be a PITA for customers to deal with like thre Ford GT and be more expensive to operate without factory backing? GM still wants to go to LeMans, so I think they will make the switch and find a way to keep the GTE cars running in WEC.

Not to mention, if Corvette sits out for a few years they could lose countless key personnel, drivers, etc.

Mmmmmmmm... Interesting.
I don’t like this but I suspect the OEMs and the teams understand how important Corvette is, and owe Corvette one given the other waivers they’ve been approved for in the past - Porsche, BMW, Ford when they were around. It’s good business to pass a waiver for someone else when you think you may need one at some point. But hopefully this is 2022-only and we can move on to a full GT3 field come 2023. I do think the turnaround for next year is just way too soon for Corvette as they’re the only one who don’t already have a model in development (like BMW’s M4 debuting later this year).

It's a difficult situation.

If GM wants to take this action I think the other OEM's and teams would be down for it. Corvette creates a lot of fandom and to sit on it for a year would be a tough ask, the sport will survive with no issue though. Either, Corvette wins and many complaints will be made about it being a detuned GTLM/GTE. If they lose, then the question will be raised if it was even worth doing. I see this like the then new Toro Rosso team running a detuned Cosworth V10 in 2006. Many teams were extremely weary about them running a V10 engine, yet it was done in a way to keep the balance in the field.

GM needs to find a way to keep the GTLM cars alive until the new rule regulation changes come about. Maybe find a customer team interested, however will C8.R be a PITA for customers to deal with like thre Ford GT and be more expensive to operate without factory backing? GM still wants to go to LeMans, so I think they will make the switch and find a way to keep the GTE cars running in WEC.

Not to mention, if Corvette sits out for a few years they could lose countless key personnel, drivers, etc.
To be honest I haven't really followed IMSA much this year now that the Ford GT's are no longer running. I was really heartbroken when I heard Chip would no longer be running the GT's. I appreciate you sharing this info with me.

IMSA is moving from Mosport to Watkins Glen for the sprint and 6-hour races:

Kinda meh on the idea of doubling up at an existing track but the logistics work out easily and it helps make up for last year. A Watkins Glen race ending around sunset will be interesting.

Probably won’t be much longer before Toronto is moved too and I also have a lot of doubt about the Mosport Truck race.

Kinda meh on the idea of doubling up at an existing track but the logistics work out easily and it helps make up for last year. A Watkins Glen race ending around sunset will be interesting.

Probably won’t be much longer before Toronto is moved too and I also have a lot of doubt about the Mosport Truck race.
Indy will finalize something soon.

The 240 will be on the 2nd of July, the Toronto GP will fall on the 11th.

Watkins Glen will probably be the beat bet IMHO or have a double header at Mid-Ohio.

Indy will finalize something soon.

The 240 will be on the 2nd of July, the Toronto GP will fall on the 11th.

Watkins Glen will probably be the beat bet IMHO or have a double header at Mid-Ohio.
I’d be ecstatic to see Indy at the Glen with the UAK18 but yeah, Mid-Ohio seems a fair bet. One week before Toronto and it’s the same promoter.

Screenshot_20210408-192540_Twitter.jpg

😂😂😂

Back
Top Bottom