IndyCar: 2021 Big Machine Music City Grand Prix

This series has become a natural home for ex F1 drivers.

Hell of a job holding off Herta and ultimately making him make 2 pretty massive mistakes one of which costed him everything.

Nice move by Ed Jones late.

Big win for Ericsson, as a surprising fringe championship candidate. Bigger win for Dallara for designing a car that can sustain a crash landing and go on to win.

Newgarden also finshed in the top 10 despite having a steering wheel misalignment. The CEO dude was right, this was like Monaco. You cound't make passes easy here.

This series has become a natural home for ex F1 drivers.

Hell of a job holding off Herta and ultimately making him make 2 pretty massive mistakes one of which costed him everything.

Meh I’m not sure. It’s kind of a joke that they trimmed out the car for less downforce and then just blocked on the tight sections

Everything about that race reminds me why I despise street racing so much. The difference between the REAL road race today at Watkins Glen and this farce is striking. I don't even want to try to imagine how bad the Cup cars would suck on a track like this. The fact that are there are TWO perfectly good race tracks in Nashville and somebody thought this was a good idea just escapes me.

Everything about that race reminds me why I despise street racing so much. The difference between the REAL road race today at Watkins Glen and this farce is striking. I don't even want to try to imagine how bad the Cup cars would suck on a track like this. The fact that are there are TWO perfectly good race tracks in Nashville and somebody thought this was a good idea just escapes me.
My thoughts exactly.

A turd in a Revere silver punch bowl is still a turd. See also Monaco, Long Beach, etc. How about a circuit that capitalizes on the quality of the racing?

Literally like Baku. That’s the thing, Baku is an amazing track for a race. So many good passing opportunities

Meh I’m not sure. It’s kind of a joke that they trimmed out the car for less downforce and then just blocked on the tight sections
It’s not like he was pulling a Trulli Train out there though. He pulled out a big gap on everyone else from Dixon on back. If he had been passed eventually he probably would’ve been safely 2nd if the fuel was there.

Going forward they need to work on some procedural things like restarting on the back side of the bridge and establishing some clarity on the pit exit blend. It might be good to try to reroute the turns 4-8 complex somehow too. On the restarts they were getting all jacked up because they restart in a series of 90-degree turns and can’t tell whether or not the guys ahead are going yet. Ridiculous.

Of course it sucked. It was a street race. Those usually end up being parades where no one can pass, and then we have the boring commentary about brilliant strategy when most of the time it was just dumb luck.

Still, the Twilight Zone factor made it bearable. Cars flying through the air, teammates shoving each other into the wall, red flags, restarts and more red flags and finally I car we thought just had to be out of the race wins. Bizarre but true.

My point is we don't have enough ovals and street races usually turn into snoozers or crashfests.

I’m glad Indy has gone away from ovals and has instead mixed it up. Much more representative of what racing is all about.

Indy was born on ovals which is what American racing is about.

And? I didn’t say anything about where anything was born. I said I was glad this series has a variety of tracks in which the drivers can really shine and set themselves apart from the one trick ponies.

I don't like street courses and this race was a fiasco. They have a lot to figure out if they run it again. Herta was the class of the field until he pushed too hard. I'm trying to figure out how a car that should have been wrecked won the race.

I’m glad Indy has gone away from ovals and has instead mixed it up. Much more representative of what racing is all about.

I like a mix too, but it has to be good tracks. Whether it's Indy, NASCAR or IMSA, I would rather see them run Watkins Glen or Road America once a month than run this crap EVER.

There’s a reason if you look back through the history of CART and (lately) Indy Car that these type of races don’t last long once the novelty wears off. Las Vegas, Detroit, Baltimore, Sao Palo, Houston and some I’m sure I’m forgetting. Really only Long Beach, St Pete (also run on the airport) and Toronto have stood the test of time. Surfer’s Paradise was really my only favorite street race, it was bad ass. If Indy Car wants this type of racing, Cleveland Burke Lake Front Airport and Edmonton Airport is nice this time of year.

I like a mix too, but it has to be good tracks. Whether it's Indy, NASCAR or IMSA, I would rather see them run Watkins Glen or Road America once a month than run this crap EVER.

IMO Watkins Glen is the top road course in this country

There’s a reason if you look back through the history of CART and (lately) Indy Car that these type of races don’t last long once the novelty wears off. Las Vegas, Detroit, Baltimore, Sao Palo, Houston and some I’m sure I’m forgetting. Really only Long Beach, St Pete (also run on the airport) and Toronto have stood the test of time. Surfer’s Paradise was really my only favorite street race, it was bad ass. If Indy Car wants this type of racing, Cleveland Burke Lake Front Airport and Edmonton Airport is nice this time of year.
Detroit is still around. The Edmonton airport was decommissioned and has some sort of community being developed on top of it now.

One year is too soon to write off an event entirely. 110,000 fans over three days and 50,000+ on race day is a better start than a lot of street course races have had. The Tennessean reported the local NBCSN TV rating was higher than it was for the Cup race at the Superspeedway two months ago. If they can work out the kinks - and there were a lot, including not having one grandstand built until Sunday morning - it has a chance at living beyond this three-year sanctioning agreement.

I thought the Cup race was the best of the weekend too but Cup at The Glen will always be tough to beat.

Back
Top Bottom