Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

After more than 70 years of racing at Martinsville, "we need lights!" Now let's put the fans in the grandstands under lights on the second weekend of April and start at 7:30, it won't be cold at all. Oh but wait, we don't want the race to end at 11pm so let's knock off 100 lap!! Brilliant!!! bunch of dingbats

And you can bet Clay Campbell is catching hell right now....

1643392867343.png

I have no doubt that significant California sports enthusiasts will turn out for the first NASCAR race at the venue but how long will it remain on their "list of things to do again."
yah I agree, the only concern is if the Coliseum race is kept on the schedule, will it still be the cool thing to do in 5 years? In LA, ..... I'd wager not. I have been saying from the start that this upcoming race is just a test and if it passes, I think there will be stadium races on the schedule each year just maybe not the Coliseum.

I'm bummed with 100 laps being trimmed off Martinsville. I dont get that one and I dont like it. Can we maybe not start the race that late, maybe start it an hour and a half earlier?

I'm seeing too many people with recency bias about Auto Club. The short track plan in my book is still the way to go for the long haul. It took the track 25 years to get to what we saw yesterday in terms of surface, and it will need repaved.

I'm seeing too many people with recency bias about Auto Club. The short track plan in my book is still the way to go for the long haul. It took the track 25 years to get to what we saw yesterday in terms of surface, and it will need repaved.

You're not wrong, but I think if they are going to reconfigure anything, it should be Texas. Even the worst races at California have been better than your typical Texas race.

There was excellent racing at California in the late '00s and through most of the' 10s until NA18D ruined it.

Short tracks are fun, but there is a risk of overplaying that hand in the same way that intermediates were over-built.
I think short tracks are more interesting to a seasoned fan but maybe not so much to a newbie. I think the reason Daytona and Talladega are so popular with newer fans is because they love the excitement of the speed and danger in those races. But I don't think short track racing will draw them in and keep them interested as much as the super speedways because to a newbie that doesn't really have a favorite driver it just looks like a bunch of cars going around in circles at a very low speed with no real danger involved. They probably even have a hard time trying to figure out who is leading the race because they are lapping the other cars so much.

I think short tracks are more interesting to a seasoned fan but maybe not so much to a newbie. I think the reason Daytona and Talladega are so popular with newer fans is because they love the excitement of the speed and danger in those races. But I don't think short track racing will draw them in and keep them interested as much as the super speedways because to a newbie that doesn't really have a favorite driver it just looks like a bunch of cars going around in circles at a very low speed with no real danger involved. They probably even have a hard time trying to figure out who is leading the race because they are lapping the other cars so much.
and everybody is on pins and needles waiting for one of them to bump their favorite driver out of the way so they can go full goon. Eh, short tracks have their place, but on asphalt it's pretty boring compared to being on dirt IMO. With the COT and the Gen 6, Nascar tried about everything to get them to race well, but they continued to lose favor with racing fans and sponsors. Nascar started getting on the right track with trying to get back to side by side racing and they have developed a car now that looks like it has accomplished that. Enough speed to keep the flatfooters semi happy and enough side by side dogfights to keep the rest of us awake.

I'd be the most surprised person here if this race happens. The Bureaucratic Red Tape and dealing with the city of Chicago whew. Good luck NASCAR
That state has already proven anything is possible with a few bribes

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Chicago during the summer is about as packed as they come. Many of summers as a child I spent there, its a great city to me.

Great market as well, but go ahead and have a field day about how crap it is.

Really? I could of sworn all the IL residents went to northern WI during the summer
Have an Uncle that lived in Chicago, used to love going up there.

This is just from my perspective, the city was packed, but this is from a much younger me remembering.

I don't care for street races in IndyCar because there just isn't much passing. I could only imagine how dreadful a NASCAR would be on a street course.
Would be pure bumper cars. One thing I will say is a stock car being a slower machine opens the window for passing more. You can basically block someone in the middle of the corner and then with intense acceleration hold them off repeatedly through corners

I don't care for street races in IndyCar because there just isn't much passing. I could only imagine how dreadful a NASCAR would be on a street course.
Kind of like how Door Bumper Clear and others were over the moon about a potential street race in Nashville, then the Indy race was an absolute fustercluck... Haven't heard much since then. There are so many purpose built road courses in the country that would be so much better than a temporary street circuit...

at the risk of sounding like a death bedder before the street race is even a sure fire thing, for me personally I'd rather see 1-2 more short tracks on the schedule before a street course race. I'll be honest, the street course races in Indy Car do nothing for me, they're cool spectacle sure and they look like alot of fun to be at but I find them sort of boring maybe NASCAR will be maybe it wont. They also dont seem to have the longevity either on a schedule that a regular oval track or road course have. I'd hate to see that happen to NASCAR too where they shift to a 1 or 2 street courses but cant seem to keep them on the schedule and its a new course every year or two.

Kind of like how Door Bumper Clear and others were over the moon about a potential street race in Nashville, then the Indy race was an absolute fustercluck... Haven't heard much since then. There are so many purpose built road courses in the country that would be so much better than a temporary street circuit...

DBC guys were saying the clash would be a “**** show” before it took place… then after it ran, Bret is all “iF u DoNt LikE ThAt YoU dOn’T bElOnG iN OuR gRaNdTaNdS!!!”

Hes extremely condescending towards the “general” race fan. He strikes me as one of “my opinion is all that matters” kinda characters

DBC guys were saying the clash would be a “**** show” before it took place… then after it ran, Bret is all “iF u DoNt LikE ThAt YoU dOn’T bElOnG iN OuR gRaNdTaNdS!!!”

Hes extremely condescending towards the “general” race fan. He strikes me as one of “my opinion is all that matters” kinda characters
He's a jackass. The Dave Moody of the spotters stand.

According to Dale Jr on the Download, part of the behind the scenes reason Auto Club isn't getting changed right now is because they can't get the simulation to work on Iracing. Apparently the corners are too tight and the track too narrow to do what they want to do with keeping the suites behind pit road aka the planned backstretch.

According to Dale Jr on the Download, part of the behind the scenes reason Auto Club isn't getting changed right now is because they can't get the simulation to work on Iracing. Apparently the corners are too tight and the track too narrow to do what they want to do with keeping the suites behind pit road aka the planned backstretch.
After Sunday, I may be a fan of leaving it alone. I've never cared for the 2-milers but that was quite a race.

On the other hand, a short track would offer opportunities for local series.

I'll keep saying it, if you're going to reconfigure anything, pick the worst track on the schedule. That is currently Texas and has always been Texas. Make it into a short track or remove it from the schedule altogether.

I'll keep saying it, if you're going to reconfigure anything, pick the worst track on the schedule. That is currently Texas and has always been Texas. Make it into a short track or remove it from the schedule altogether.
A month ago we were psyched to see Cali rebuilt. Let's what Texas looks like with the new car.

Back
Top Bottom