Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

This was a standalone tweet, no indication of who he was trying to respond to. :D

But the getting it turned around language is interesting.

upload_2019-3-25_18-48-7.png

Hospital is starting to grow on me. All I know is I don’t need glasses,
Can I ask...why do you feel the need pointing out declining attendance? Then may I ask....how does that correlate to one’s enjoyment of the sport each week to the attendance of each individual tracks? I’m honestly having a hard time why you find attendance so important.

Can I ask...why do you feel the need pointing out declining attendance? Then may I ask....how does that correlate to one’s enjoyment of the sport each week to the attendance of each individual tracks? I’m honestly having a hard time why you find attendance so important.

Nascar and Nascar attendance are not important to me as they have no bearing on my day to day life. Attendance is an amusing topic due to input of others.

Attendance has no bearing on whether I enjoy a race.

Hopefully that helps.

depends on what kind of personality one has. ;)

This Pocono double-header news makes me cringe. Since it's my home track and I've been going there since my early early childhood 30+ years ago I want to see it have its place on the schedule. Someone mentioned earlier the attendance isn't good. It's actually pretty solid relative to capacity. Between grandstands and infield its done better than Dover in recent years.

I would MUCH rather see the track keep one "traditional 400 mile" (Doc still sheds a tear in heaven of this) event than do something gimmicky like that. If I want to see a double-header I'll go to my local short track where I can get 10-a-header.

See how this plays out. I don't see the Pennsylvania/Northeast sports fan going for this.

I'm confused why so many people want these west coast races all together, it doesn't help attendance, and it's not helping west coast fans like myself get to the track more than once.

And here we go.....if true I hate this because
1.) A July date will kill the Brickyard 400, its brutal hot here in the Midwest and I thought the whole point of them moving from August to September was relief for fans. Stupid....no way Brickyard survives this
2.) The July Daytona date is one of the few traditions left. I can’t believe they are throwing that away for their gimmick cutoff race. They just don’t get it...at all.

And here we go.....if true I hate this because
1.) A July date will kill the Brickyard 400, its brutal hot here in the Midwest and I thought the whole point of them moving from August to September was relief for fans. Stupid....no way Brickyard survives this
2.) The July Daytona date is one of the few traditions left. I can’t believe they are throwing that away for their gimmick cutoff race. They just don’t get it...at all.

Yeahhhhhh this ain’t it, chief. Didn’t we learn from the Southern 500 already? Moving the old Firecracker 400 off of July 4th weekend so we can get muh drama as the playoff cutoff race. Maybe we can move the Coke 600 too.

Brian might not be in charge anymore but I still don’t think they entirely get it yet.

It's going to hurt Daytona as well. That's their biggest tourism week of the year and directly correlates with summer break for kids, teachers, etc.

Just unbelievable. And unfortunately, if it's being hinted at, it's more than likely going to happen.

IMO inhospitable weather in Indianapolis is being used as a scapegoat for poor attendance. Anyone who has ever seen a Brickyard live knows that it is a crappy place to view a Nascar race. Unless you are a student of racing the event can be absolutely mind numbing.

The first 10-15 years of the Brickyard had attendance in the hundreds of thousands and the only mention of weather was hoping it didn’t rain. I think the Brickyard was killed by the tire debacle, perceived boring racing and the overall decline of Nascar.

Everyone should get to IMS at least once to soak up the atmosphere and see the museum. Driving the track is a really neat experience too. For me visiting the track when there is no on track activity is better for several reasons.

Yeahhhhhh this ain’t it, chief. Didn’t we learn from the Southern 500 already? Moving the old Firecracker 400 off of July 4th weekend so we can get muh drama as the playoff cutoff race. Maybe we can move the Coke 600 too.

Brian might not be in charge anymore but I still don’t think they entirely get it yet.

The Daytona race in July always has a good sized crowd and is a tradition. Moving it seems pointless and could end up being a big step backwards.

It's going to hurt Daytona as well. That's their biggest tourism week of the year and directly correlates with summer break for kids, teachers, etc.

Just unbelievable. And unfortunately, if it's being hinted at, it's more than likely going to happen.
I agree. I’ve been to the last 3 FireCracker’s and in just causally talking to the locals they are busy because the race brings in a lot of people to their bars, restaurants, beach shops, grocery stores and hotels. They honestly just don’t get it. I can’t believe they are going to screw up one of the few traditions they have left.

IMO inhospitable weather in Indianapolis is being used as a scapegoat for poor attendance. Anyone who has ever seen a Brickyard live knows that it is a crappy place to view a Nascar race. Unless you are a student of racing the event can be absolutely mind numbing.

The first 10-15 years of the Brickyard had attendance in the hundreds of thousands and the only mention of weather was hoping it didn’t rain. I think the Brickyard was killed by the tire debacle, perceived boring racing and the overall decline of Nascar.

Everyone should get to IMS at least once to soak up the atmosphere and see the museum. Driving the track is a really neat experience too. For me visiting the track when there is no on track activity is better for several reasons.
I agree with you here. They moved the date from August because it’s hot...then less than 5 years later move it back to an equally if not hotter month. This is the death blow to the Brickyard, they are going to move this date and hide behind the attendance excuse when they do. Well no $hit...July in the Midwest sucks. Granted you could say “how did it survive all those years in the summer when people showed up?” Different time....different points system...different personalities in sport. This race isn’t being given a chance to survive imo.

NASCAR is "right sizing" and the powers that be still don't get it. LOL
I 100% thought Brian was the problem also. I was wrong.
Nothing NASCAR does, short of improving the racing product and making the cars on the track identifiable to the average buyer, is going to increase it's footprint. AND...…….. That may not do it either.
After Sunday's Martinsville race I can not begin to say how nice it was to not be jammed in like a sardine.
I'm happy with my sport not being a fad. I don't need non-racing fans around me to enjoy what I love.
DO WHAT YOU WANT WITH THE SCHEDULE!!!!! Chances are you are going to pi$$ off twice as many old fans as you bring in new.
Good Luck!

I agree. I’ve been to the last 3 FireCracker’s and in just causally talking to the locals they are busy because the race brings in a lot of people to their bars, restaurants, beach shops, grocery stores and hotels. They honestly just don’t get it. I can’t believe they are going to screw up one of the few traditions they have left.
Their headquarters are directly across from the speedway LOL. That's how out of touch they are.

I guess they're doing this so that 10 years from now they can triumphantly bring it back like they did with the Southern 500 and get everyone in their good graces :rolleyes:

Also, moving the Brickyard to July 4th weekend means it's almost only a month after the Indy 500, and a week apart from Chicagoland (assuming that race keeps its date). Doesn't seem terribly advisable to me, pulling from basically the same potential racegoer population.

I agree with you here. They moved the date from August because it’s hot...then less than 5 years later move it back to an equally if not hotter month. This is the death blow to the Brickyard, they are going to move this date and hide behind the attendance excuse when they do. Well no $hit...July in the Midwest sucks. Granted you could say “how did it survive all those years in the summer when people showed up?” Different time....different points system...different personalities in sport. This race isn’t being given a chance to survive imo.

In most cases I would say that the best way to see a race is in person but not for the Brickyard. You see so much more on TV and get a better feel for what is happening than in person, IMO.

Overall the Brickyard does pretty well in the ratings department but not so well with attendance.

Their headquarters are directly across from the speedway LOL. That's how out of touch they are.

I guess they're doing this so that 10 years from now they can triumphantly bring it back like they did with the Southern 500 and get everyone in their good graces :rolleyes:
After how many screw ups in the NEXT 10 years....I get it. They are the ones running nascar and we are just fans. At the end of the day they know more than us. But I’ve never seen such a tone deaf business that refuses to even attempt to listen to their customers, sometimes you gotta throw a bone once in a while. I can’t wait for the nascar media/personalities to say how good of a move it is to move the July Daytona race. If any of the media covering the sport had balls they’d ask but “you moved the Brickyard race just two years ago from August because it was hot?” I’d love to hear their response

After how many screw ups in the NEXT 10 years....I get it. They are the ones running nascar and we are just fans. At the end of the day they know more than us. But I’ve never seen such a tone deaf business that refuses to even attempt to listen to their customers, sometimes you gotta throw a bone once in a while. I can’t wait for the nascar media/personalities to say how good of a move it is to move the July Daytona race. If any of the media covering the sport had balls they’d ask but “you moved the Brickyard race just two years ago from August because it was hot?” I’d love to hear their response

A lot of people think Jim France walks on water but he was one of the principals that left Brian running the show. If the second Daytona date was underperforming I could see moving it but it does well overall.

A lot of people think Jim France walks on water but he was one of the principals that left Brian running the show. If the second Daytona date was underperforming I could see moving it but it does well overall.
Someone call the police, they are murdering the Indy Brickyard race before our eyes. Joking aside...I can’t understand why they originally moved the Brickyard from August to September to give the fans relief from the heat...and then not even 5 years later... move it to July which is just as hot if not hotter. I can’t find the logic. Someone educate me on that. This whole 2020 deal reeks of throwing $hit on the wall and seeing what sticks. I’d also bet my paycheck the second Daytona date that is going to be bastardized by moving off their traditional July 4th date gets bastardized even more by now becoming a Roval race. Because rovals, brake ducts and engine spacers are going to be the frontier of a new golden age for NASCAR.

First let me say the July Daytona race date should not be changed. But, I guess one could argue that many families are already vacationing in Daytona/Florida over the 4th of July holiday. Pushing the race back later in the summer might promote additional tourism to a time when the occupancy rate is not as high. This could actually make it more enjoyable for fans attending the race. Having lived near Daytona and Disney they do as much as they can to get tourist in during their off season.

Also, moving the Brickyard to July 4th weekend means it's almost only a month after the Indy 500, and a week apart from Chicagoland (assuming that race keeps its date). Doesn't seem terribly advisable to me, pulling from basically the same potential racegoer population.

No doubt, but Mid-West summers are not that bad IMHO. Being in Indiana and Illinois every other year, its comfortable to me without all of the sweltering humidity of Florida.

Logicstically it makes sense and costs less for teams. That will probably be the excuse to "streamline" travel. We'll see, I hope there isn't a major cluster fluff incoming...

Hey, y'all, when the new schedule is released, would whoever sees it put it in a new discussion and not add it to this one? Just a suggestion.

Is there anywhere that the weather doesn't suck? Southerners complain the early and late season races get rained and snowed on, or that it's still / already too cold. Midwesterners bitch about the heat. Everybody wants the track closest to them to run in May or September. Let's just move everything to Phoenix and call it quits. :rolleyes:

Is there anywhere that the weather doesn't suck? Southerners complain the early and late season races get rained and snowed on, or that it's still / already too cold. Midwesterners bitch about the heat. Everybody wants the track closest to them to run in May or September. Let's just move everything to Phoenix and call it quits. :rolleyes:

Phoenix will be a buck 20 in a month and that is in the shade. Ya got 3 to 5 million watching races on TV and what an average of 40 to 50 thousand watching the race in the stands. Like who freakin cares, almost all of em aren't going to be sitting in the stands anyway.

Like the move! I actually thought it would be Auto Club but that may be next year.

Back
Top Bottom