Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

Someone call the police, they are murdering the Indy Brickyard race before our eyes. Joking aside...I can’t understand why they originally moved the Brickyard from August to September to give the fans relief from the heat...and then not even 5 years later... move it to July which is just as hot if not hotter. I can’t find the logic. Someone educate me on that. This whole 2020 deal reeks of throwing $hit on the wall and seeing what sticks. I’d also bet my paycheck the second Daytona date that is going to be bastardized by moving off their traditional July 4th date gets bastardized even more by now becoming a Roval race. Because rovals, brake ducts and engine spacers are going to be the frontier of a new golden age for NASCAR.

I never thought of the second Daytona race becoming a Roval but it is possible. Whatever changes happen won’t last long as once Nascar can start chopping races it will change again.

A lot of people think Jim France walks on water but he was one of the principals that left Brian running the show. If the second Daytona date was underperforming I could see moving it but it does well overall.
Like I said before, Brian could only do what the principal owners allowed. So the same guy is running things now. Why would you expect any better decisions?? This is just politics of racing,
no different than white house politics.

Half of you complaining about moving Daytona have probably also said they should drop it at some point good old nascar fan derangement syndrome

Does anyone have any thoughts about what the main purposes of changing race dates and having doubleheaders might be?

Does anyone have any thoughts about what the main purposes of changing race dates and having doubleheaders might be?
Only thing I can think is to simplify the logistics and maybe make it line up better with weather patterns?

As far as double headers, they're just wanting to shorten the season. Shortening the season and shortening the races...for some reason people want less of the thing they love most - makes total sense. And I guess it's stressful on these guys having such an awesome job 10 months of the year.

I'm gonna see if my job will shorten my work week and shorten my hours for the same pay. Wish me luck.

Where would you guys rather go for 4th of July? Daytona for BBQ's on the beach, or...Indianapolis.

JFC.

It makes sense for Nascar not to go up against things like the Olympics or Football whenever possible as they can’t compete.
Cup competes with the Olympics for two or three races every four years. If they're not going to make accommodations for football for a dozen or so races annually, I don't see the point in avoiding the Olympics. Put Indy up against them.

Where would you guys rather go for 4th of July? Daytona for BBQ's on the beach, or...Indianapolis.

JFC.
Rockingham.

Indianapolis. Daytona at 4th of July is already full of non-racing tourists competing for hotel rooms and restaurant seats. Why battle with them? The beach is there all summer anyway, and nice enough in the spring and fall.

Rockingham.

Indianapolis. Daytona at 4th of July is already full of non-racing tourists competing for hotel rooms and restaurant seats. Why battle with them? The beach is there all summer anyway, and nice enough in the spring and fall.
That's the point, it's a destination, it's special and people want to go there. My family made that our summer vacation for years and tied it in with the race week. There's a large number of people that do the same and come from all over. Who's going to be able to swing that kind of trip in September when everyone is back to work and kids are back in school?

September is prime hurricane season, btw. Not a whole lot of fun to be had at the beach if it's getting destroyed.

Is there anywhere that the weather doesn't suck? Southerners complain the early and late season races get rained and snowed on, or that it's still / already too cold. Midwesterners bitch about the heat. Everybody wants the track closest to them to run in May or September. Let's just move everything to Phoenix and call it quits. :rolleyes:
well the weather does suck everywhere in the summer ( to me at least. more of a winter guy) the nice thing about being in Daytona for the 4th of July race is we stay right on the beach. Problem solved and it gets my wife to go with me every year as well as various family members that want to go to the race as well, we lure em in with the promise of we'll spend most of our time on the beach. You can say the beach will be there any time and you're right, but being on vacation for July 4th is a given so we combine kill multiple birds with multiple stones. I love Phoenix never been to the track but been to the city 3 or 4 times, nice place.

Like the move! I actually thought it would be Auto Club but that may be next year.
Now thats an idea I like, I'd be all for the season ender at Fontana. Always liked the racing there regardless of what aero package they run.

That's the point, it's a destination, it's special and people want to go there. My family made that our summer vacation for years and tied it in with the race week. There's a large number of people that do the same and come from all over. Who's going to be able to swing that kind of trip in September when everyone is back to work and kids are back in school?

September is prime hurricane season, btw. Not a whole lot of fun to be had at the beach if it's getting destroyed.
We think alike. We plan our family vacation ( my wife and I plus who ever wants go to from my family) around the July 4th NASCAR race. Just had to tell the wife there might not be anymore July 4th race after this year, shes pretty bummed. But I might leverage this into a trip to Bristol in August, so thats the only positive.

Hopefully, Bristol's night race stays in August.. Yeah,it's warm, but not Indy warm. Lights at Loudon would be nice.for a Summer race, but the locals are still opposed to it

Cup competes with the Olympics for two or three races every four years. If they're not going to make accommodations for football for a dozen or so races annually, I don't see the point in avoiding the Olympics. Put Indy up against them.
NBC has Olympic rights too, and the Summer Games conflict with their portion of the season. They don’t want to sabotage their own programs.

That's the point, it's a destination, it's special and people want to go there.
Yep, and that's why people will go there in early July whether there's a race or not. Schedule the race anytime in the summer when the kids aren't in school; the same race fans will show up.

I feel for the fans that used certain races to build family time/vacations around. I did that with the Southern 500 some of the time over the years.

It's going to hurt Daytona as well. That's their biggest tourism week of the year and directly correlates with summer break for kids, teachers, etc.

Just unbelievable. And unfortunately, if it's being hinted at, it's more than likely going to happen.

A lot of businesses including my brother in law have been asking nascar to move he race from the July 4th weekend. Daytona is already packed with families visiting Daytona for July 4th. Moving the race gets more people in town and ends the summer in a bang.

NBC has Olympic rights too, and the Summer Games conflict with their portion of the season. They don’t want to sabotage their own programs.
Ah. I hadn't thought of that. Now that you point it out, I don't think it's a matter of sabotaging their own programming as much as wanting NBCSN available for Olympic content.

Back
Top Bottom