Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

I think Waltrip's comment was about how much horsepower do you need and they way it is now it's back ass backwards to what makes for good common sense. Of course there will be some that there will never be enough horsepower, some that think 750 for all races, and some it will be a package problem. To me it doesn't make any sense to have more horsepower whatever the rating is for a short track compared to a large track that is designed for much higher speeds.

Huh 750 isn't enough
Danny_Dietrich_2-1536x1022-1.jpg

It's a bit strange. Why would Speedway Motorsports need a full time employee, looks like a pretty high up employee, to be on site full time at the Circuit of America track? Speedway Motorsports has only leased the track for one Nascar race next year. Makes me wonder if Speedway is looking to buy and they have their guy down there watching over things.

Because SMI is in charge of essentially everything, I'd assume. This is a relatively common practice at the grassroots level. A promoter rents a track and the track provides some of their internal guys but that's about it. SMI has to sell the tickets, procure the vendors, may/may not be providing the track safety team, setup the fan areas- all that stuff. Essentially it's "here's the key, lock it up when you're done".

I highly doubt SMI will be buying COTA. That's an insane amount of money. It's a brand new, state-of-the-art track. It's tough to compare because there's nothing else like it in the United States. Tracks built for F1 are just at another level entirely sooooo far beyond what many would consider "premier" tracks in the US like Road America, Watkins Glen, Laguna Seca, Sebring, etc. And they'd HAVE to keep the F1 race profitable to survive if they owned COTA. That means dealing with people not in the NASCAR bubble SMI has built their wealth on.

125$ for a three day ticket that covers it all is a pretty good deal to see all three series of racing there

TICKETS:
Fans can purchase a May 21-23 three-day weekend general admission pass starting at $99 and a three-day reserved seat starting at $125 for all practice, qualifying and race events online at www.NASCARatCOTA.com. LIMITED TIME ONLY --- fans can save an additional 20 percent on adult weekend package purchases through Dec. 1. Fans can also purchase NASCAR at COTA or NASCAR All-Star Race tickets by calling the Texas Motor Speedway ticket office at 833-450-2864.

125$ for a three day ticket that covers it all is a pretty good deal to see all three series of racing there

TICKETS:
Fans can purchase a May 21-23 three-day weekend general admission pass starting at $99 and a three-day reserved seat starting at $125 for all practice, qualifying and race events online at www.NASCARatCOTA.com. LIMITED TIME ONLY --- fans can save an additional 20 percent on adult weekend package purchases through Dec. 1. Fans can also purchase NASCAR at COTA or NASCAR All-Star Race tickets by calling the Texas Motor Speedway ticket office at 833-450-2864.

Comparable to the $160 for a 4 day ticket to Road America that I spent

Just saw that the trucks are not anticipated to be going back to Eldora for 2021. Guess the dirt Bristol race probably finished that one off

Just saw that the trucks are not anticipated to be going back to Eldora for 2021. Guess the dirt Bristol race probably finished that one off
I think its more that with Covid this year Eldora didn't have its usual events and I don't think they could pay a sanctioning fee.

Online rumor, but it has some legs to me since Brett Griffin seems to think its real. Also would make sense based off Covid responses.

Online rumor, but it has some legs to me since Brett Griffin seems to think its real. Also would make sense based off Covid responses.

There will probably some more changes as we get closer to each race. All depends on how the vaccine affects areas.

While I would much prefer to see the Daytona R/C again over Fontana, I don't see why this is necessary. They can run Cali with no one in the stands; they've done that successfully several times now. On the other hand, maybe they make more money with limited fans at Daytona than Cali empty. It's NASCAR's call, I admit I prefer the R/C, and it would give them a jump on the planned reconfiguration of Fontana.

While I would much prefer to see the Daytona R/C again over Fontana, I don't see why this is necessary. They can run Cali with no one in the stands; they've done that successfully several times now. On the other hand, maybe they make more money with limited fans at Daytona than Cali empty. It's NASCAR's call, I admit I prefer the R/C, and it would give them a jump on the planned reconfiguration of Fontana.
I'm prejudiced, I love the Daytona road course. :idunno:

I'd like to see the "original" Fontana one final time.

Every year there's a thread counting down to the D500. There are always great photos but for me, the North American racing season begins with the Rolex 24. My preference for the road course over the oval are well documented.
I'm a glutton for punishment I suppose, I love the super speedways and the Tona road course. For instance the CotA road course, beautiful course, but the huge aprons and run offs just takes a lot of the fun out of watching it for me. Yeah I know safety

I'm a glutton for punishment I suppose, I love the super speedways and the Tona road course. For instance the CotA road course, beautiful course, but the huge aprons and run offs just takes a lot of the fun out of watching it for me. Yeah I know safety
You probably wish they'd push the wall in off turn 4 at Sonoma too, am I right? ;)

(Not that I'd disagree, you understand.)

You probably wish they'd push the wall in off turn 4 at Sonoma too, am I right? ;)

(Not that I'd disagree, you understand.)
Sonoma has it's moments. I like all that goes on around the carousel and the uphill climb with the sweepers. Problem is for me with all of the stages breaking up the damn race, the Daytona and the Roval seem to be least affected by it.

Good. Restrictions will remain strict on the west coast at least through winter. Given the package they persist in using for tracks like ACS, the Daytona RC is a better venue.

Makes sense. Lets do it. Don't make the teams lose $$$ having to tow out to Auto Club, then not have anyone make a profit if there's no ticket sales.

Without getting too political I have serious doubts about Sonoma (in June) and Watkins Glen (in August) based on governor responses so far. Meanwhile I bet many tracks are going to be running with very limited restriction (if any) by that time in late summer. Unfortunately state-level responses seem to be getting more extreme no matter which side you're on (ex- Utah rolling back restrictions, CA going to stay-at-home) and I feel that while the virus threat may very well be statically gone by late 2021 you're still going to see tons of BS in place.

CA restrictions will probably still be blocking attendance, and NASCAR seems to be tired of racing before empty stands. Getting a jump on construction is just a side benefit.
A big money saving carrot is being waved also. They are talking about two races in Florida back to back that if one day events will save tons of money compared to racing in California.

Back
Top Bottom