Is NASCAR dying?

I haven't watched ESPN in ages unless you count ABC Saturday night college ball games. The MNF match ups they have are usually not to my liking and they don't carry any other programming I am interested in. The only program I watch on any network owned by Fox is Nascar and on all of NBC's networks I only watch Nascar and a few hockey games as I normally find Canadian broadcasts I like better.

I haven't watched ESPN in ages unless you count ABC Saturday night college ball games. The MNF match ups they have are usually not to my liking and they don't carry any other programming I am interested in. The only program I watch on any network owned by Fox is Nascar and on all of NBC's networks I only watch Nascar and a few hockey games as I normally find Canadian broadcasts I like better.
I only watch a few football games a year, mostly watch Red Zone if I'm going to watch at all. I don't watch NBA, Baseball, Golf or any college sports. I do like to watch tennis.

I have never really understood the NASCAR fans. They complain a lot. I get being frustrated with the product and the gripes that come with changes, but times evolve and things cannot always stay the same. I am a huge Baseball fan and I believe in the eye for an eye "unwritten rules" of the game, but I have a very real understanding of how antiquated that line of thinking is in today's game. NASCAR fans have resisted modification and change at nearly every turn. For me, the product itself is still very much entertaining, but I find many different things that make it fun for me. It isn't just about the racing. Obviously, you have the personalities, but I think you have to have a real interest in a driver. For me, I was always a Bobby Labonte fan, but when he went to smaller funded teams and was winding down his career I struggled with the sport because there wasn't a driver every week that I needed to pull for. I'm a CA guy who watched Larson come through the ranks, so when he got a shot it made sense to me. It is always nice to see a local kid make it. It makes it a little more real. I watch religiously every week and we get to track a year for a CUP race. Not every race is going to be exhilarating and every fan will watch for different reasons and feels like their style of racing is better then the other. I am a short track guy myself. I just like to see guys beat and bang and get their elbow's up. I like slick, sliding side by side grind it out racing. However, I went to Fontana last year and if we could get all mile and a half tracks or larger to race like that place we would be just fine. I just have never really understood the refusal to evolve.

There is a lot of grumbling about Nascar and I think there are many reasons for it. One reason is that a lot of people just hate Brian France as the man is a complete horses ass. From the stupidity of endorsing political candidates, idiotic verbal outbursts and overall drunken appearance the guy is poison. Nascar's fan base is primarily made up of old people 55 and over and for most people the older they get they more they bitch about everything. Some of the longstanding fans feel totally betrayed by Nascar and while they are not gleefully dancing on Nascar's grave they are not upset about the strong dose of Karma it is getting.

A lot of people really dislike the spec car Nascar uses, they don't like the constant rules changes, they hate that the championship has turned into a joke, they hate the Chase or whatever it is now but despite all that they still tune in with the hopes of seeing a good race. I have been well pleased with the racing this year but in fairness I did not have the bar set very high. Still the product gets a passing grade for me and I plan to watch Talladega even though plate racing is my least favorite.

I disagree strongly with this. Frankly, it makes me wonder if you are watching the races, and if so, what are you comparing them against. The quality of Nascar's on-track product has never been higher, IMO. There have always been some great Nascar races, and some good ones, and some mediocre. The standard today is higher than ever (in my 50+ years of following the sport) in conducting races that are closely competitive contests of skill, hard fought, and with the outcome in doubt throughout. There are more great races, and fewer clunkers, today than ever before, IMO.

I don't have answers for how to improve TV ratings or live attendance among young consumers... but I have followed many forms of racing for quite a few decades. I give credit to Nascar for transforming the racing over the last several years.

if you take a step back and think about it, this is a great post. It really illustrates the problem that NASCAR can't solve.

One one side, we have LewTheShoe and many other longtime NASCAR fans who love what they see and think everything is awesome. It makes zero sense to change anything from their point of view. On the other hand, we have Millennials rejecting NASCAR. It's simply something not worth watching because it's so dull. The two sides couldn't be further apart.

Just when I thought this discussion was going to be just another rehash of the same old material, I read this. Thanks.

You need to get on the stick and give us a STICK AND BALL WARNING as some S&B talk has crept into this thread. IDK if you were part of this forum a couple of years ago but there used to be a member (since departed) that went absolutely ape**** over any S&B references!

if you take a step back and think about it, this is a great post. It really illustrates the problem that NASCAR can't solve.

One one side, we have LewTheShoe and many other longtime NASCAR fans who love what they see and think everything is awesome. It makes zero sense to change anything from their point of view. On the other hand, we have Millennials rejecting NASCAR. It's simply something not worth watching because it's so dull. The two sides couldn't be further apart.

I don't think most of Lew's fellow old farts feel the same way as he does as he can watch a cookie cutter snore fest and be enthralled with trail braking. Not to say he is wrong but what he sees as a dynamic event others see as a the lead car checking out in clean air and sleep inducing.

I have a pretty good handle on why millennials don't go to the track and it makes total sense as most of them are not flush with cash and need to get the maximum bang for their buck. It sounds like a lot of the tracks don't even provide decent WiFi let alone the other amenities they are looking for. IDK what they like or don't like about the actual racing but if you can't get them to the track it doesn't really matter.

I will say that Nascar has done a brutal job with its core fan base as they have pissed off millions of them and they will never return The problem is that you can't design a product that mainly appeals to Lew's generation as quite frankly a lot of us old timers are on the clock and don't have a ton of time left on earth statistically speaking.

What does Nascar do? Make a product that old farts like who will likely be dead within 10-15 years or go after the young people who will be around for another 50 years? Unless "the rules" change about who is important from a demographic level smart business says you need the youngsters.

I'd like to see the gimmicks to go away. What they're doing isn't working. They're in a hole and they're still digging.

What about the "gimmicks" do you not like? I think we can all agree that the racing has been better during the stages, correct? I think the differing strategies, the chance taking by some of the underfunded teams etc. has caused guys to have to drive and maneuver to get back to the front or to stay at the front. As much as we hate the bogus yellows there are quite a few tracks where you can get really stretched out and long green flag runs that do become extremely monotonous after a while. I mean I am never going to complain about a stage regrouping the field and giving drivers and teams an opportunity to make the cars better at any racetrack because I want to see these guys side by side and not in a conveyor belt. I don't see anything that has been changed this season that has had a negative impact to the integrity of the races. I get that people do not like the chase, but I also see the intrigue it creates.

I think that if anyone is looking for the "gimmicks" to create ratings or draw new fans, it is terribly misguided. Most people who do not frequent the sport most likely are unaware the changes have even happened. I think we need to look at if it makes the sport more entertaining. I believe it does.

I don't think most of Lew's fellow old farts feel the same way as he does as he can watch a cookie cutter snore fest and be enthralled with trail braking. Not to say he is wrong but what he sees as a dynamic event others see as a the lead car checking out in clean air and sleep inducing.
The last race got rated over a 9. I don't think it's just a few people who think everything is good as is.

I have a pretty good handle on why millennials don't go to the track and it makes total sense as most of them are not flush with cash and need to get the maximum bang for their buck. It sounds like a lot of the tracks don't even provide decent WiFi let alone the other amenities they are looking for. IDK what they like or don't like about the actual racing but if you can't get them to the track it doesn't really matter.

Concerts, Wifi, strippers, and Obama might get them to the track one time. They won't come back if they are bored.

I will say that Nascar has done a brutal job with its core fan base as they have pissed off millions of them and they will never return The problem is that you can't design a product that mainly appeals to Lew's generation as quite frankly a lot of us old timers are on the clock and don't have a ton of time left on earth statistically speaking.

What does Nascar do? Make a product that old farts like who will likely be dead within 10-15 years or go after the young people who will be around for another 50 years? Unless "the rules" change about who is important from a demographic level smart business says you need the youngsters.

I think they should start over and create a new series. Let Cup racing keep going as is.

What about the "gimmicks" do you not like? I think we can all agree that the racing has been better during the stages, correct? I think the differing strategies, the chance taking by some of the underfunded teams etc. has caused guys to have to drive and maneuver to get back to the front or to stay at the front. As much as we hate the bogus yellows there are quite a few tracks where you can get really stretched out and long green flag runs that do become extremely monotonous after a while. I mean I am never going to complain about a stage regrouping the field and giving drivers and teams an opportunity to make the cars better at any racetrack because I want to see these guys side by side and not in a conveyor belt. I don't see anything that has been changed this season that has had a negative impact to the integrity of the races. I get that people do not like the chase, but I also see the intrigue it creates.

I think that if anyone is looking for the "gimmicks" to create ratings or draw new fans, it is terribly misguided. Most people who do not frequent the sport most likely are unaware the changes have even happened. I think we need to look at if it makes the sport more entertaining. I believe it does.
I do not like the stages, the stage points, the repair time limit, the elimination factor during to final 10 races...

It is very funny that you mention the bolded. My wife is a NASCAR fan, not so much a fan of auto racing at it's core. She likes the spectacle and she appreciates watching the best in the world at their craft. However, she constantly reminds me of "su gente" (my people) that are at the racetrack. As many of us know we are a different breed. I like to think that I am more sophisticated and more polished then some of the unwashed that we come across at the tracks, but you nailed it when it comes to the millennial generation. I am actually in the beginning years of that generation, which I am not proud of btw, but they definitely are not going to be found t a fairgrounds racetrack where the bathrooms are atrocious and the food comes out of a can in a lot of cases. So when you mix that aspect with a generation that already doesn't view vehicles as a primary need and truly views the only real need as the ability to access everything with convenience from your phone, then you get a demo gap that is currently in existence.

I do not like the stages, the stage points, the repair time limit, the elimination factor during to final 10 races...

I asked what about them? I do not like the time on the repair clock. I think it needs to be a little longer. I have no issue with the other things mentioned. I do not see the integrity of the sport being effected by those changes.

The best thing NASCAR could do at this point is establish itself as a legitimate competition. Not super exciting, not diverse- legitimate. It won't do anything to draw in new fans (what will?) but it will make lifelong fans happy.

F1 is an established racing series because it is legitimate, no double file restarts, debris cautions or stages. They simply let 'em loose for 50-60 laps. The rules are more lax on spending and engineering, which means that individual manufacturers can find speed others can't and dominate. The last race at Russia had only 1 green flag pass for the duration of the entire race, but the raw speed of the cars and skill required by the drivers hooked me more than any NASCAR race in the last decade has.

Millennials are quick to laud F1 as "cool" because it "goes to a bunch of different countries, and it's fast, and stuff" while berating NASCAR as a 'hick sport' or 'cars going around in circles for hours.' I have never, ever gotten a response about NASCAR that deviates from either of those two talking points.

To your typical American under 50, NASCAR is 'rednecks making left turns for 4 hours', and the idea of giving up your time to watch that on a Sunday is unthinkable.

I asked what about them? I do not like the time on the repair clock. I think it needs to be a little longer. I have no issue with the other things mentioned. I do not see the integrity of the sport being effected by those changes.
I do not like that those gimmicks exist.
They are the factors that are causing me to lose interest in the sport.

I do not like that those gimmicks exist.
They are the factors that are causing me to lose interest in the sport.

So pretty much just the concept then. Not the effectiveness or anything. Just simply opinion. I mean it is what it is and you obviously have the prerogative to yay or nay anything you want to, but the line of thinking that the concept is stupid is where I get frustrated with fans. That 's why I was curious as to your reasoning. There are things about it that I don't like and there are things that I would like to see changed, but all in all, I don't share the sentiment that the Championship is hollow or a joke and I don't believe the integrity of the race is being compromised.

There is no question that the gimmicks have not added a sufficient quantity of younger newbie fans or have been enough to stop established fans from walking away.

The last race got rated over a 9. I don't think it's just a few people who think everything is good as is.

Concerts, Wifi, strippers, and Obama might get them to the track one time. They won't come back if they are bored.

I think they should start over and create a new series. Let Cup racing keep going as is.

The RF rate the race forums are fun but I don't put much stock in them in terms of race quality. Some person could rate the race 10 because Kyle Busch won and someone else could rate the race a 0 because Kyle Busch won. We have come through a decent part of the season and it should be pretty good until the end of may and then we get in the dreaded 3 month period where hopefully we will see massive improvements.

We have come through a decent part of the season and it should be pretty good until the end of may and then we get in the dreaded 3 month period where hopefully we will see massive improvements.
The engineers usually figure out aero by Kansas and it's downhill from there.

So pretty much just the concept then. Not the effectiveness or anything. Just simply opinion. I mean it is what it is and you obviously have the prerogative to yay or nay anything you want to, but the line of thinking that the concept is stupid is where I get frustrated with fans. That 's why I was curious as to your reasoning. There are things about it that I don't like and there are things that I would like to see changed, but all in all, I don't share the sentiment that the Championship is hollow or a joke and I don't believe the integrity of the race is being compromised.
It started with The Chase, which I feel delegitimized the Championship. The constant tweaking of the Chase format further ridiculed the Championship. The stages are just fake debris cautions in disguise, even though fake cautions still exist. The whole sport has developed a cheap, cheesy feel and as a fan I feel manipulated.
Other than that it's good.

The RF rate the race forums are fun but I don't put much stock in them in terms of race quality. Some person could rate the race 10 because Kyle Busch won and someone else could rate the race a 0 because Kyle Busch won. We have come through a decent part of the season and it should be pretty good until the end of may and then we get in the dreaded 3 month period where hopefully we will see massive improvements.
Regardless of who won it seems like people are enjoying/rating the races better this year so far than in the past several years. Maybe there's some recency bias there because of the short track swing but in general you probably would have to go back a while to see racing as good as we have right now.

I agree that the summer stretch is usually pretty lackluster but the current aero rules and new playoff format should change that at least a little bit. The Chase format of 2014-2016 in particular almost completely killed the summer races.

No, that's dead (assuming no mechanical assistance is used).

What exactly is meant by 'NASCAR is dying'? Fewer races? A reduction in the number of sanctioned series at any level? The Daytona offices moving to a smaller building?
My answer is fewer races, lower costs, cut salaries, make it easier for sponsors to afford one off races, make it possible for new teams to form and challenge during qualifying.
Sound familiar?

It started with The Chase, which I feel delegitimized the Championship. The constant tweaking of the Chase format further ridiculed the Championship. The stages are just fake debris cautions in disguise, even though fake cautions still exist. The whole sport has developed a cheap, cheesy feel and as a fan I feel manipulated.
Other than that it's good.

If the changes Nascar had made had increased or even stabilized viewership and/or added young people as fans I could take a step back and acknowledge what they did was necessary. However since the Chase was implemented interest and support have circled the drain.

Regardless of who won it seems like people are enjoying/rating the races better this year so far than in the past several years. Maybe there's some recency bias there because of the short track swing but in general you probably would have to go back a while to see racing as good as we have right now.

I agree that the summer stretch is usually pretty lackluster but the current aero rules and new playoff format should change that at least a little bit. The Chase format of 2014-2016 in particular almost completely killed the summer races.

I know that I have enjoyed all the races I have seen this year and I am sure I would have liked Richmond if I had watched it. Unfortunately what most of us here have thought was better racing than in years past has not translated to people outside this forum. Fingers crossed for the upcoming 3 month stretch but if they can improve even just a few of the races it will make the stretch much easier to take.

One of the few areas (maybe the only area) where NASCAR is making gains is that male 18-34 group. They're doing at least some things right there, it's just that the group was so small to start off with and the gains not relatively big enough (at the moment) to offset them shedding portions of their core fan base. It's an interesting development to follow.

One of the few areas (maybe the only area) where NASCAR is making gains is that male 18-34 group. They're doing at least some things right there, it's just that the group was so small to start off with and the gains not relatively big enough (at the moment) to offset them shedding portions of their core fan base. It's an interesting development to follow.

That is a bright spot as adding to the 18-34 demo in a small amount is gold.

yeah the NHL is just groovy, a point nothing in the ratings. But as it has been said, they can keep something that small around, they shouldn't have a bit of trouble keeping Nascar

NHL ratings hit new lows on NBC for regular season

The 2016-17 NHL regular season averaged 467,000 viewers across NBC and NBCSN, down 7% from last year (503K) and down 5% from 2015 (503K).

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-ratings-hit-new-lows-nbc-regular-season-201324298.html
To provide some context here, the 2015-2016 NHL regular season was the most-watched on cable since 1993-1994. Being down 7% from that isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially with the playoffs more than making up for that so far. They also perform very well among younger demos and total audience was up 7% as well.

To provide some context here, the 2015-2016 NHL regular season was the most-watched on cable since 1993-1994. Being down 7% from that isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially with the playoffs more than making up for that so far. They also perform very well among younger demos and total audience was up 7% as well.

You are right as if you really want the truth you have to take the matter in its context and totality. Any yahoo can cut and paste a snippet of information to try and justify what want to believe.

For example, say you save money by droping the dedicated pit crewmen and have the mechanics to do double-duty. You lose the ability for those crewmen to practice pit stops during the week. They're too busy doing their mechanic duties getting the car ready. If you have them practice stops, they may not have time to get the car up to snuff, or to stay up to date with changes in their specialties..

If F1 and WEC, DTM, can have their mechanics do double duty on pit stops - Nascar should be able to do it as well.

It should be a no-brainer for cost cutting.

If there was an annual spending cap, this wouldn't be an issue. ....

100% agreement on this.

Why there is no cost cap on the individual car teams is a mystery. While the top teams spend about 20 million per car - I'd imagine the actual practical cost could be several millions less. A good place to start on discussing a cost cap.

I see your point but it certainly has nothing to do with the empty grandstands.
The point is NASCAR may have empty seats, but that is just one sign of a overall declining interest in sports. The amount of decline may be different for each sport and measurement used, but there are a variety of stats pointing to it.

You need to get on the stick and give us a STICK AND BALL WARNING as some S&B talk has crept into this thread. IDK if you were part of this forum a couple of years ago but there used to be a member (since departed) that went absolutely ape**** over any S&B references!
Oh yeah? Well, you left me hanging! I'll try again.

"...Surely people aren't watching less of ALL sports-related broadcasting!?!?!

My answer is fewer races, lower costs, cut salaries, make it easier for sponsors to afford one off races, make it possible for new teams to form and challenge during qualifying.
Sound familiar?
Yes, it sounds very familiar.

Specifically, it sounds a lot like what NASCAR looked like up until the popularity bubble of the '90s and '00s. It sounds a lot like the period that so many are constantly saying that's what the sport should get back to.

I wasn't following the sport back then, but I assume no one was calling it 'dying' in those days. Why call it 'dying' when it's what so many are on record as that being what they want?

NASCAR is evolving, not dying.

All you naysayers need to quit throwing dirt on NASCAR like it's in the grave -- "IT'S ALIVE!"

It is a sport of Kings -- I'm sorry, but the peasants don't kill the sport of Kings. When Haas wants to run Kurt Busch without an outside sponsor, Kurt Busch is on the track. You have no say. Power? you don't have any. Say in the matter? you get nothing. Good day, sir!

;)

NASCAR is evolving, not dying.

All you naysayers need to quit throwing dirt on NASCAR like it's in the grave -- "IT'S ALIVE!"

It is a sport of Kings -- I'm sorry, but the peasants don't kill the sport of Kings. When Haas wants to run Kurt Busch without an outside sponsor, Kurt Busch is on the track. You have no say. Power? you don't have any. Say in the matter? you get nothing. Good day, sir!

;)
My position exactly , BUT SHHHHHH. NOT SO LOUD!
I am getting spoiled with more elbow room in the stands!
We still need THEM to stay home.

You're seriously using F1 as an example of cost cutting in motorsports? :XXROFL:

Context my friend, context - it seems some will take any opportunity to take a swipe at another series.:rolleyes:

You specifically cited an example of how to cut costs, and then followed with your reasoning of why it would be a bad idea:

"...For example, say you save money by dropping the dedicated pit crewmen and have the mechanics to do double-duty. You lose the ability for those crewmen to practice pit stops during the week. They're too busy doing their mechanic duties getting the car ready. If you have them practice stops, they may not have time to get the car up to snuff, or to stay up to date with changes in their specialties.."

And I cited 3 examples of other series that have the mechanics double as the pit stop crew. F1, WEC, and DTM. ( we can add all GT and touring car racing around the world and IMSA)

Thus providing specific examples that the argument made by you that having the mechanics do double-duty would not work was simply ill-informed. Because they get it done in other series in which the cars are just as, if not more complex, in what is needed to prepare them for racing.

That these series cost more to run a car is completely irrelevant. They are racing under different rules-sets - but they still don't have 'specialist' pit crews for a reason - it would drive costs up even more!

And if they can do it, there is no reason Nascar can't implement the same policy and save the teams some coin.

Context my friend, context - it seems some will take any opportunity to take a swipe at another series.:rolleyes:

You specifically cited an example of how to cut costs, and then followed with your reasoning of why it would be a bad idea:

"...For example, say you save money by dropping the dedicated pit crewmen and have the mechanics to do double-duty. You lose the ability for those crewmen to practice pit stops during the week. They're too busy doing their mechanic duties getting the car ready. If you have them practice stops, they may not have time to get the car up to snuff, or to stay up to date with changes in their specialties.."

And I cited 3 examples of other series that have the mechanics double as the pit stop crew. F1, WEC, and DTM. ( we can add all GT and touring car racing around the world and IMSA)

Thus providing specific examples that the argument made by you that having the mechanics do double-duty would not work was simply ill-informed. Because they get it done in other series in which the cars are just as, if not more complex, in what is needed to prepare them for racing.

That these series cost more to run a car is completely irrelevant. They are racing under different rules-sets - but they still don't have 'specialist' pit crews for a reason - it would drive costs up even more!

And if they can do it, there is no reason Nascar can't implement the same policy and save the teams some coin.

Not mention, that is what NASCAR teams use to do not that long ago, shop guys were the road the crew and the pit crews, it can be done again. And they found the time to practice pit stops too, I dont see why they would not be able to find time now, its all about time management, and I am sure that NASCAR teams are some of the best at time management.

Back
Top Bottom