It's Monster

I'm sorry Ijust dont understand this thinking. You don't make it to that final race if you didn't do anything in the previous 35. Do you also think that the regular season in other sports are pointless?
In other sports, it's difficult to impossible for every team to compete against every other team. In NASCAR, each team not only competes against every other team, they compete against all of the other teams at the same time, each and every week. This is one reason why comparisons to other most sports don't work well.

It's also why a playoff system is unnecessary. What's the point in a playoff if one driver has consistently beaten the others on a regular basis? And even if one driver has locked up the title early, the final race will still be held, and they're all going to compete just as hard to win it. As you noted, they're drivers.

I se
In other sports, it's difficult to impossible for every team to compete against every other team. In NASCAR, each team not only competes against every other team, they compete against all of the other teams at the same time, each and every week. This is one reason why comparisons to other most sports don't work well.

It's also why a playoff system is unnecessary.

I see it differently but thats just me. Its very comparable to other sports in my opinion when you have a playoff system. They have made this format and the teams for that matter with the charters very sports oriented. Older fans don't seem to like it though.

I see it differently but thats just me. Its very comparable to other sports in my opinion when you have a playoff system. They have made this format and the teams for that matter with the charters very sports oriented. Older fans don't seem to like it though.
Part of what originally drew some of us older fans to NASCAR was that it WASN'T like other sports. I personally don't have problem with the charters because they don't have much of an effect on the on-track racing itself. The Chase does.

I'm sorry Ijust dont understand this thinking. You don't make it to that final race if you didn't do anything in the previous 35. Do you also think that the regular season in other sports are pointless?
We are going to have to agree to disagree on the championship format lol. Neither of us is going to convince the other as to which format is better for the sport.

I do not think the regular season in other sports is pointless. Let's take football (NFL), for example. Winning games results in greater chances of making the playoffs and the opportunity for a first-round bye and home field advantage until the Super Bowl. Once you win 12 games in your conference, you pretty much secure those spots come playoff time.

NASCAR and football are both similar and at opposite ends of the spectrum on this issue. On one side, a football team can theoretically sneak into the playoffs (Chris Buescher) with a 1-15 record and still win the Super Bowl. On the other side, a 16-0 team can be eliminated in their first playoff game. Good football teams that lock up a playoff berth many weeks before the regular season ends (most Cup drivers) can just cruise along until the playoffs and experiment with different packages knowing that their regular season record doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. That is where these sports are currently similar.

However, football teams and all other professional team sports organizations host games where only 2 teams face each other at one time. NASCAR is a completely different animal where 40 teams face each other every week at the same time. The points/playoff structure should not cross over from "team" sports into NASCAR, which is something NASCAR attempted to create with The Chase. As I said earlier, auto racing championships were built upon performing at a high level every week. Do I think it would be more fair if every football team played all of their opponents throughout the year instead of just 10 different ones, with the team with the best record at the end of the year being crowned champion? Yes, but football championships were built around a playoff system and it's what has worked for them. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. NASCAR attempted to fix a championship system that wasn't broke and they ended up creating more issues in the process to where it is now a hot mess and everyone except (and including) the longtime die-hard fans think this sport is a laughing stock.

I think that Monster is the prefect fit right now.
"Right now" is the key phrase and I agree wholeheartedly. This sport is DESPERATE to attract a new audience and Monster is THE company in action/auto sports to do that. I just hope they don't turn this sport into a complete gimmick, but rather educate fans on the sport's history and bring back the old-school rules and on-track action that drew the original audience in.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on the championship format lol. Neither of us is going to convince the other as to which format is better for the sport.

I do not think the regular season in other sports is pointless. Let's take football (NFL), for example. Winning games results in greater chances of making the playoffs and the opportunity for a first-round bye and home field advantage until the Super Bowl. Once you win 12 games in your conference, you pretty much secure those spots come playoff time.

NASCAR and football are both similar and at opposite ends of the spectrum on this issue. On one side, a football team can theoretically sneak into the playoffs (Chris Buescher) with a 1-15 record and still win the Super Bowl. On the other side, a 16-0 team can be eliminated in their first playoff game. Good football teams that lock up a playoff berth many weeks before the regular season ends (most Cup drivers) can just cruise along until the playoffs and experiment with different packages knowing that their regular season record doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. That is where these sports are currently similar.

However, football teams and all other professional team sports organizations host games where only 2 teams face each other at one time. NASCAR is a completely different animal where 40 teams face each other every week at the same time. The points/playoff structure should not cross over from "team" sports into NASCAR, which is something NASCAR attempted to create with The Chase. As I said earlier, auto racing championships were built upon performing at a high level every week. Do I think it would be more fair if every football team played all of their opponents throughout the year instead of just 10 different ones, with the team with the best record at the end of the year being crowned champion? Yes, but football championships were built around a playoff system and it's what has worked for them. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. NASCAR attempted to fix a championship system that wasn't broke and they ended up creating more issues in the process to where it is now a hot mess and everyone except (and including) the longtime die-hard fans think this sport is a laughing stock.
This, except for the 'laughing stock' part at the end.

This, except for the 'laughing stock' part at the end.
Literally nobody that I personally know outside of a few family members do indeed think this sport is a complete joke. Plus 99.99% of sports fans on other message boards that I frequent think NASCAR is a joke. It might be different for you, but not in my case.

Literally nobody that I personally know outside of a few family members do indeed think this sport is a complete joke. Plus 99.99% of sports fans on other message boards that I frequent think NASCAR is a joke. It might be different for you, but not in my case.
I don't worry much about the opinions of fans of other sports.

EDIT: Heck, I don't worry much about the opinions of fans of this sport either.

I don't worry much about the opinions of fans of other sports.
I typically wouldn't either, but NASCAR actually needs those fans right now. They have alienated a decent portion of the die-hard fans and need to bring in a new audience in order to survive. If the "casuals" aren't even willing to give this sport ANY chance, then it is doomed for failure. This all started around the moment the Chase was first implemented. It used to be that even non-NASCAR fans respected the sport even though they didn't watch it, but now they just laugh at anything NASCAR-related and write it off as a joke sport without even giving it a chance. And this is coming from an area that has tons of short tracks and has had 4 local drivers (at least...from my memory) make it to NASCAR.

A driver could win the first 35 races, finish 2nd in the last race, and not win the title.

Ryan Newman almost won the title a few years back. He led 39 laps all season, with 5 finishes in the top 5, and zero wins.

How many other forms of motorsports have a playoff system to determine the season champion?

Part of what originally drew some of us older fans to NASCAR was that it WASN'T like other sports. I personally don't have problem with the charters because they don't have much of an effect on the on-track racing itself. The Chase does.

Is the effect on the racing bad though? I don't think so. With the playoff you have 16 drivers with a realistic chance at the championship as opposed to may four or five with a points system.Now some might see that as a bad thing but to me 16 teams pouring every bit of resources they have into the car to win a championship is better for NASCAR, the fans, and the racing. On the track you have more teams using their best strategy to win a race because a win means everything now. I'm not saying that teams before the chase didn't put everything into it but the playoff just gives more teams a realistic chance at winning the championship and being more focused on winning races which I see as better all around.

A driver could win the first 35 races, finish 2nd in the last race, and not win the title.

Ryan Newman almost won the title a few years back. He led 39 laps all season, with 5 finishes in the top 5, and zero wins.

How many other forms of motorsports have a playoff system to determine the season champion?

That's what is great about s pnayoff though is that anything can happen. I'm all for NASCAR crowning a regular season points champion that might appease older fans a bit and be another trophy they can put a company's name on.

My only hope is that Monster Energy redesignes the trophy into something more classically designed, and they take a good hard look at making the championship system as common sensical as possible.
We don't watch trophy's racing so I couldn't care less what it looks like.

What I am hoping for is, that what took so long was for Monster to wrestle away Brian's iron clad stupid ideas. Maybe Monster will have control over changes and rules etc. After all it is their deal to fail or bring Nascar back from being a laughing stock.

During the time this elimination thing has been the method, I can’t remember when 16 drivers have had a realistic shot at the championship.

That's from your point of view though. Those 16 drivers all have a chance to win the race and advance to the next round as opposed to a points system where the driver ranked 16th could win and maybe move up two spots in the rankings.

For what it's worth, I'm 21 years old and have been a fan of the sport literally since I can remember. I remember very clearly 2001, 02, and 03 under the old format. 03 did suck because dale Jr. had an awesome year but couldn't come close to Kenseth at the end of the year. I remember the first year of the chase when Busch won it, and I was a fan of that format although I didn't fee (even as young as I was) that Busch was the real champion. Over time I grew more and more to like that format, even through all the rule changes to allow more drivers into the chase. While I'm not a fan of the way the new chase format crowns a champion, homestead was one of the most intense races I've ever watched, even though I do feel that the caution for that Lupton kid was unneeded. I'm happy for Jimmie to tie the king and dale at 7, and I feel he is one of the greatest of all time because he and Chad have done what they've had to do 7 times to win the title. It's a known fact drivers race different due to the chase format so who knows where Jimmie would be if the chase was never implemented. I would be fine to them going back to the 10 race format where all points for the final 10 crowns the champ. Too many variables go into this new format to truly crown a champion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey @Mr. Gregory and @Greg, you know what this means?

MONSTER ENERGY GIRLS
jet.gif
:wub:

What I am hoping for is, that what took so long was for Monster to wrestle away Brian's iron clad stupid ideas. Maybe Monster will have control over changes and rules etc.
With the full support of the RTA, of course.

I bet monster got a smokin deal on the sponsorship. also remember with these title sponsor deals most of the money they pay is simply a guarantee of so much money spent on advertising in particular on television. nascar makes them buy adds on TV thus making the TV contract worth more. I wonder how that effects things on that side of the deal.

Obviously it's an unrealistic exaggeration. But the fact that it's even theoretically possible under this format is ridiculous.

It's possible for the New England Patriots to go 18-0 and lose the Super Bowl.

This playoff is designed to be a playoff. It's designed to have a winner-take-all shootout.

I bet monster got a smokin deal on the sponsorship. also remember with these title sponsor deals most of the money they pay is simply a guarantee of so much money spent on advertising in particular on television. nascar makes them buy adds on TV thus making the TV contract worth more. I wonder how that effects things on that side of the deal.
I read that it was 2.5 times lower than Sprint..... just goes to show that either it was way overpriced to begin with......or else Brian was sweating bullets to get a deal at any rate.... maybe both.......

I read that it was 2.5 times lower than Sprint..... just goes to show that either it was way overpriced to begin with......or else Brian was sweating bullets to get a deal at any rate.... maybe both.......

Or that the sport is in decline. Everyone thought things were great because of the NBC deal, forgetting that NBC was trying to build up a cable sports network that was failing at the time.

It's possible for the New England Patriots to go 18-0 and lose the Super Bowl.

This playoff is designed to be a playoff. It's designed to have a winner-take-all shootout.

Apples and oranges. Sorry but football is nothing like racing.

It's designed to force a "Game 7 moment" no matter the circumstances. I understand why it is how it is.

It's designed to force a "Game 7 moment" no matter the circumstances. I understand why it is how it is.

Every other major league sport has a playoff. That's the benchmark now. Hell, NASCAR wasn't even the first motorsport to do this. The first Chase was imported from the Hooters Pro Cup Championship Series and the second Chase was imported from the NHRA Countdown to 1.

I mean, I would love to get a Delorean, go back in time and prevent the Chase from ever being implemented. I wonder if I can do this and go back in time and prevent Trump's election at the same time. And maybe marry Melissa too.

Oh wait, that's not gonna happen either. The Chase is here to stay.

When both have a playoff they are similar especially the hypotheticals that were posted. I get old school race fans are true to their precocious points which is fine. NASCAR should have a regular season championship that's awarded to the best points finisher and maybe a bye in the first round or something. Personally I wouldn't like the bye idea just give the regular season champion a trophy and start the Chase.

Every other major league sport has a playoff. That's the benchmark now. Hell, NASCAR wasn't even the first motorsport to do this. The first Chase was imported from the Hooters Pro Cup Championship Series and the second Chase was imported from the NHRA Countdown to 1.

I mean, I would love to get a Delorean, go back in time and prevent the Chase from ever being implemented. I wonder if I can do this and go back in time and prevent Trump's election at the same time. And maybe marry Melissa too.

Oh wait, that's not gonna happen either. The Chase is here to stay.

Imagine if MLB decides to reduce the World Series from 7 games to 1 game. How ridiculous would that be?

That's about the closest example you can get when comparing the current Chase format to a stick and ball sport.

When both have a playoff they are similar especially the hypotheticals that were posted. I get old school race fans are true to their precocious points which is fine. NASCAR should have a regular season championship that's awarded to the best points finisher and maybe a bye in the first round or something. Personally I wouldn't like the bye idea just give the regular season champion a trophy and start the Chase.

I've been saying this for a couple years now, on the first round bye.

Imagine if MLB decides to reduce the World Series from 7 games to 1 game. How ridiculous would that be?

Imagine if the NFL did away with a system where the team with the best record won the championship and implemented a playoff instead. Or if College Football implemented a playoff. Or if the MLB implemented a playoff instead of having the championship be decided in a series between the two best teams.

Oh wait, that actually happened.

Imagine if the NFL did away with a system where the team with the best record won the championship and implemented a playoff instead. Or if College Football implemented a playoff. Or if the MLB implemented a playoff instead of having the championship be decided in a series between the two best teams.

Oh wait, that actually happened.
To be fair, the CFB playoff is dog****.

Back
Top Bottom