It's Monster

Imagine if MLB decides to reduce the World Series from 7 games to 1 game. How ridiculous would that be?

That's about the closest example you can get when comparing the current Chase format to a stick and ball sport.
Or that MLB decided the World Series MUST have a game 7 regardless of what happens in the first 4, 5, or 6 games. Hey, Cubs, you may have won the first 6, but Cleveland won the 7th and gets the trophy.

Monster takes its Motorsports seriously. I'm not worried about gimmicks. Say goodbye to bull**** phone advertisements.

That said, I highly doubt they'll have any input in the on-track product.
Just to say 'Hello' to BS energy drink ads? An ad is an ad. It interrupts coverage to pay the bills.

The Full Throttle thing for Talladega.

Fill our vessels with the liquid. Salty snacks for the show. Find ourselves restricted to sipping the beverage thru a stir stick.

... Monster will probably be able to bring in some new eyes with heavy promotion to a whole new crowd but get ready for a whole new NASCAR. ...
See, this is the part I just don't get. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad to see NASCAR land a sponsor, and don't really care who it is as long as the checks clear.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't see attending an event I've previously disregarded simply based on a new sponsor. Diet Pepsi could start sponsoring the NBA but I still won't watch basketball; experience shows it just doesn't entertain me. Microsoft has landed this huge tablet contract with the NFL, but I'm actually watching less football this year than in the last 20 years. Indeed, I started watching NASCAR despite Winston's sponsorship, a category of product I actively hated (and still do). The racing itself drew me in enough to gag down my revulsion to the sponsor.

Again, maybe it's just me. No offense intended, but I can't think of any other way to phrase this question: are people, especially those in Monster's young demographic, really that easily swayed? Is this another aspect of a 'product lifestyle' that I don't get? I admit I don't live a Diet Pepsi or Microsoft 'lifestyle' (if there are such things). If it's Monster itself that's bringing in the these new 'fans', will they stick around when Monster leaves or will this just be a smaller version of the boom of the '90s and '00s?

I just don't see how this will draw a new audience unless Monster plans major changes to the racing itself.

Last edited:
I just don't see how this will draw a new audience unless Monster plans major changes to the racing itself.
Nailed it right there at the end. ^^^^ is what I see happening. It's obvious that the current product is not bringing anyone in to this sport. I don't know what they will have in mind but I'm guessing that we'll be seeing some major changes in the near future.

Maybe one change could be companion events between Supercross and NASCAR? You can dang well bet that someone like Bruton Smith will not hesitate to fill BMS with megatons of dirt.

Nailed it right there at the end. ^^^^ is what I see happening. It's obvious that the current product is not bringing anyone in to this sport. I don't know what they will have in mind but I'm guessing that we'll be seeing some major changes in the near future.

Maybe one change could be companion events between Supercross and NASCAR? You can dang well bet that someone like Bruton Smith will not hesitate to fill BMS with megatons of dirt.
I'm withholding judgement until we see what changes are made to the racing itself (if any). I dislike the Chase as much as the next guy, but realistically it hasn't changed the basic principle of the race winner being the driver who crosses the finish line first after the designated number of laps (give or take an overtime). As long as that stays the same, I'll be here. If not, there are always other forms of motorsports and entertainment.

For now, I'll welcome them, giving them the benefit of the doubt and an assumption of good intentions.

I'm withholding judgement until we see what changes are made to the racing itself (if any). I dislike the Chase as much as the next guy, but realistically it hasn't changed the basic principle of the race winner being the driver who crosses the finish line first after the designated number of laps (give or take an overtime). As long as that stays the same, I'll be here. If not, there are always other forms of motorsports and entertainment.

For now, I'll welcome them, giving them the benefit of the doubt and an assumption of good intentions.
It probably won't be too long before we start realizing what direction this sport is going to go and what changes may be in the works. When you start hearing agendas pushed across multiple, live, call in shows on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio, you can bet on them becoming part of the sport. Today, they seem to be gauging reaction to yesterday's announcement. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

HOW LONG WILL MONSTER ENERGY BE THE SERIES SPONSOR?

No such details were given. NASCAR Chairman Brian France said that it was a multi-year agreement “with some options. We never get into the specifics of contracts.’’
Given that Brian isn't saying how long, I'm assuming it's much shorter term than the Nextel/Sprint deal. 5 years more than likely.

Reactions: Pat
Given that Brian isn't saying how long, I'm assuming it's much shorter term than the Nextel/Sprint deal. 5 years more than likely.
If I were Monster, I would've signed for 3 years with options based on attendance at tracks and TV ratings. Brian asking for a 10 year, $1 billion commitment was a joke. If the contract is for five years or longer, Monster was ripped off IMHO.

Ain’t thinkin’ Monster’s the sort to get ripped.

Just a gut feelin’.

For sure as I doubt that there will be 2 fledgling sports networks willing to overpay the next time the TV contract is up. If the current trends continue Nascar may need to have its own channel to have the races broadcast or pay a network like infomercials and religious programmers do.
There are 8 years remaining on the TV / broadband deals.

Well how much longer until the Monster Clash?

It will be interesting to see if any of Monster's ideas flow down to the other series too. Hopefully that caution clock b.s. won't work its way up! Otherwise my lunch might work it's way up! :bleh:

It probably won't be too long before we start realizing what direction this sport is going to go and what changes may be in the works. When you start hearing agendas pushed across multiple, live, call in shows on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio, you can bet on them becoming part of the sport. Today, they seem to be gauging reaction to yesterday's announcement. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?
I'll take your word. I'm too cheap for Sirius and too busy to monitor it anyway. This place and Jayski bring me the NASCAR info I'm after, within a time period I consider acceptable. I'm sure whatever is proposed, someone will be here ranting or raving about it in short order. ;)

Well how much longer until the Monster Clash?

It will be interesting to see if any of Monster's ideas flow down to the other series too. Hopefully that caution clock b.s. won't work its way up! Otherwise my lunch might work it's way up! :bleh:
I strongly urge all of you that are part of NASCAR's Fan Council to tell them you are AGAINST the caution clock every time you take the survey.

... It will be interesting to see if any of Monster's ideas flow down to the other series too. ...
We haven't seen any of Monster's ideas at the Cup level yet. o_O

It took a dozen years for the Chase to drift down to the X and Truck level. I suspect the sponsors of those series will have some say in proposed changes. Frankly, I rather see changes tested at those levels first, then brought up to Cup. I didn't like this year's shot clock or Q-races experiments, but the lower tiers are the places to try those things. If the elimination format had been tested at the X level, they would have found all those issues they were having to solve on the fly this year.

Every time I try one of those Monster energy drinks I feel worse instead of having more energy lol. I tried one of the orange ones this morning, that was nasty. I think coca cola just takes their 2 year old flat soda and turns it into an "energy drink", that's what the few I've had tasted like.

I dont't know if it's been brought up yet, but Monster is only paying 25 million a year as opposed to Sprint's 100 million per year.

Think about that. If you are Lowes or NAPA and you spend that much on one car, how would it make you feel that you could have had the entire series? That makes it even tougher to sell sponsorship for a car now.

BTW, NASCAR just sent out a press release of an image of the new Monster Energy girls uniforms.

a.jpg

I dont't know if it's been brought up yet, but Monster is only paying 25 million a year as opposed to Sprint's 100 million per year.

Think about that. If you are Lowes or NAPA and you spend that much on one car, how would it make you feel that you could have had the entire series? That makes it even tougher to sell sponsorship for a car now.
There's a lot more car sponsorships available than series sponsorships, and I suspect car sponsorship rates will start declining too (if they haven't already).

Wait, where did you see this? I thought this hadn't been disclosed yet.

I heard Sprint was paying more in the $50-$70M range, but it's still a significant drop.

I strongly urge all of you that are part of NASCAR's Fan Council to tell them you are AGAINST the caution clock every time you take the survey.

Wasn't a fan of the caution clock when it was announced but seeing it in the Truck Series wasn't all that bad. A lot of the time it never came into play. I'm still no sold on the concept but I'm also not against it as it does have its pros. Long green flag racing can get boring at tracks that don't have alot of passing. A couple tracks shouldn't make for a rule that would effect the whole season though. I think its something the needs more research done and maybe even try it out in the Xfinity Series this year to see how it effects a longer race.

That may explain why it's popular with younger generation males. That's usually only half of a generation.

I've been wondering about this. The NASCAR audience has seen a large increase in the percentage of female fans in the last 20 years. Will having a large number of showgirl types featured prominently at the track, on the TV coverage, and in the marketing affect that? Positively or negatively? I don't know anyone who attends other Monster-sponsored events, so I can't ask what effects this strategy has had elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom