It's Monster

That may come off as brash and arrogant, but it's true in many ways. And the "retaining existing fans" ship has already sailed. NASCAR needs a new attitude and direction, and that confidence is needed from their new marketing partner.

Amen as I can't see a time when I will quaff a Monster or other energy beverage as I am an old fart set in my ways and I like coffee. The last thing Monster needs to do is try and appeal to people like me as it is a waste of time. They need to go after young males.

No. More like the difference between Mountain Dew and Dr. Pepper.

Some energy drinks (Monster, NOS, Red Bull) taste like piss. Others (Full Throttle, Rip It, Amp) taste amazing.

There's no bias in this report is there? lol (Again I haven't had any of them so I'm just joking with you.)

Who would want to do that though? No one that climbs in a racecar every weekend. The more wins you get the better the advatsge in the Chase. Some of you act like the drivers are just there for the money and not the competition. The top drivers are trophy hunters and want to win every race.

Denny Hamlin took himself out for a sore neck and stated that they were a lock so it did not matter.

Yeah, telling older folks that "you need to adapt!" Isnt the best message lol. Already starting on NASCAR's niche market's bad side.

I just watch from the green flag to the checkers so unless a bunch of new rules changes are implemented this old duffer won't even know Monster is around. At least Monster is being truthful about not caring about the traditional fan base instead of paying lip service.

Have you never heard of "points racing"? Drivers do it all the time. That's how Johnson won most of his championships. The Chase perpetuates points racing more than ever, minus the final race in the current format.

Yes I know what points racing is. Still doesn't make the regular season irrelevant. Actually makes it more relavant for teams with out a win. Teams with a win still want to win and will point race when they have to. This system makes for less points racing which is ultimately better in my opinion as opposed to a whole season of it. I just like that this system rewards winning which is what racing is all about.

I just watch from the green flag to the checkers so unless a bunch of new rules changes are implemented this old duffer won't even know Monster is around. At least Monster is being truthful about not caring about the traditional fan base instead of paying lip service.
Sure you will. When a black and green Monster logo appears at the top of the TV broadcast, you won't mistake it for a caution coming out.

And I still don't know what a 'sweep jump' is. But I'm learning a lot tonight; Monster is already exposing me to a younger crowd.

Meh, old people complain about everything as it is. Plus, he's right. Trends trickle up.

NASCAR has been slowly dying for years...and this is as good a surgeon as they could have possibly asked for.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time as a Nascar fan and am happy to yield to a younger generation that can make the series relevant again. I won't be attending anymore races or purchasing any Nascar related products so trying to appeal to me would be a mistake.

Reactions: Pat
Same with me, Skoal. I'll watch the race --- the title sponsor is just another ad to me.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time as a Nascar fan and am happy to yield to a younger generation that can make the series relevant again. I won't be attending anymore races or purchasing any Nascar related products so trying to appeal to me would be a mistake.
Ditto.

There's no bias in this report is there? lol (Again I haven't had any of them so I'm just joking with you.)

If you see one of these, get it and try it.

Denny Hamlin took himself out for a sore neck and stated that they were a lock so it did not matter.

If he has a win and is sore than setting out a race is reasonable as long as he can stay inside the top thirty. Other sports don't punish players for injuries why should NASCAR?

There's a push to bring a chase format to SX, so I wouldn't get your hopes up....

My guess is that anyone who is hoping that monster will start dismantling the gimmicks Nascar has implemented in the last few years is going to be very disappointed. Monster's

The Chase has to stay. I'm sorry but the points system is old and doesn't reward winning as much as this new chase. I'd rather have the Chase than a driver clinch the championship before the end of the season. They can't go back to a boring points system when they have a system now that works and makes every race as important to the next.

I like a format where you can miss races and win a championship plus have someone like Chris B make the lottery........:sarcasm:

Other drivers have said the same thing when they have exited a race early or run out of fuel. It isn't so much that you don't want to win every race as it is having it not matter once you have won once.

No. More like the difference between Mountain Dew and Dr. Pepper.

Some energy drinks (Monster, NOS, Red Bull) taste like piss. Others (Full Throttle, Rip It, Amp) taste amazing.
I don't remember what they are, but the blue, red, and orange cans of Monster are amazing, and even sugar free.

Had a Mountain Dew years ago. Still remember it.

No energy drinks.

I like a format where you can miss races and win a championship plus have someone like Chris B make the lottery........:sarcasm:
Other drivers have said the same thing when they have exited a race early or run out of fuel. It isn't so much that you don't want to win every race as it is having it not matter once you have won once.

NASCAR has a long season and if a driver has the cushion to to set out a race because of an illness or some injury he or she should be able to with out their season being over. The NFL wouldn't stop the Patriots from getting into the playoffs because Tom Brady missed the first 4 games.(They probably would like to though).

NASCAR has a long season and if a driver has the cushion to to set out a race because of an illness or some injury he or she should be able to with out their season being over. The NFL wouldn't stop the Patriots from getting into the playoffs because Tom Brady missed the first 4 games.(They probably would like to though). I know old school fans just don't like this format but it really does produce a better season of racing in my opinion.
Respectfully, I recall you saying you're 24. The Chase system has been around since you were, ten?. How well do you recall the racing under the old points system? Do you have enough recollection to compare them? That's why I earlier raised the point that actually very few championships were locked up before the season's last race.

Respectfully, I recall you saying you're 24. The Chase system has been around since you were, ten?. How well do you recall the racing under the old points system? Do you have enough recollection to compare them? That's why I earlier raised the point that actually very few championships were locked up before the season's last race.

From 98-03 the title was wrapped up before the last race every year except for 2002

The Chase before the playoff was a points system Chase but it not just Cup. The Trucks and Xfinty series had a points system of old before this year and clinches happened. I also don't like a driver having to just finish say 20th or better to win the championship. Now its a race between four of the top contenders to see who wins the championship which in my opinion is better.

From 98-03 the title was wrapped up before the last race every year except for 2002
I think stretching the season to 32-36 races had a lot to do with that. If you look at 1988-1997, I believe only twice in that span ('91 and '94) was the title wrapped up before the last race.

Darren RovellVerified account‏@darrenrovell
No bigger evidence of NASCAR's decline than new Monster title sponsor deal, worth 2.5X less annually than last deal

Darren Rovell is an ESPN business reporter.

I don't see that as a bad thing though. Last time NASCAR was looking for a sponsor it was looking for money. Granted this time money had alot to do with it but finding a sponsor that fit with the NASCAR brand was a higher priority I believe.

The Chase before the playoff was a points system Chase but it not just Cup. The Trucks and Xfinty series had a points system of old before this year and clinches happened. I also don't like a driver having to just finish say 20th or better to win the championship. Now its a race between four of the top contenders to see who wins the championship which in my opinion is better.
When you say "better", do you mean more fair or do you mean more entertaining to the masses? If the latter, I agree. What this format has done is, whether anyone wants to admit it or not, is essentially make the first 35 races meaningless. If NASCAR wants to have a "winner take all" race, then just run 1 race per year and have all 40 entrants eligible for the championship.

But you know what? SCREW. THAT. This sport's championship format was built on consistency. The Chase has resulted in winning just 1 race (out of 36) mattering and the remaining races just be built upon survival via points racing. It used to be drivers had to race hard every week until they clinched the championship. If that occurred before race 36, so be it. But at least it was fair and the championship winner was deserving of the trophy for performing at a high level for 36 races rather than just 1 race or a handful of races.

Darren RovellVerified account‏@darrenrovell
No bigger evidence of NASCAR's decline than new Monster title sponsor deal, worth 2.5X less annually than last deal

Darren Rovell is an ESPN business reporter.
Somber news, but I think Monster at least has the potential to help NASCAR regain those losses within a few years. Sprint did next to nothing for the sport in terms of attracting fans, but Monster is notorious for attracting fans to their sports-related endeavors.

When you say "better", do you mean more fair or do you mean more entertaining to the masses? If the latter, I agree. What this format has done is, whether anyone wants to admit it or not, is essentially make the first 35 races meaningless. If NASCAR wants to have a "winner take all" race, then just run 1 race per year and have all 40 entrants eligible for the championship.

But you know what? SCREW. THAT. This sport's championship format was built on consistency. The Chase has resulted in winning just 1 race (out of 36) mattering and the remaining races just be built upon survival via points racing. It used to be drivers had to race hard every week until they clinched the championship. If that occurred before race 36, so be it. But at least it was fair and the championship winner was deserving of the trophy for performing at a high level for 36 races rather than just 1 race or a handful of races.

I'm sorry Ijust dont understand this thinking. You don't make it to that final race if you didn't do anything in the previous 35. Do you also think that the regular season in other sports are pointless?

Back
Top Bottom