Jeff Gordon - Do or Die

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
Only eight more races left until the Chase season begins. It's probably going to take two wins this year to assure that spot in the Chase as a wildcard. 87 points behind 10th with six or seven drivers between him and that 10th position is just too much to overcome at this point of these season. JG is going to have to rattle off a couple wins over the next eight to get in there. Up until Sonoma I was all but convinced that he was going to make it. Heck, I still think he's got a good chance. Do you think his bad luck is going to continue? Time is not on his side.

Here's an interesting look at JG's, what have you done from me lately stats over the next eight. There is where he ranks among active drivers over the last three races at each of the upcoming races leading up to the Chase:
  • Loudon - 1st
  • Indianapolis - Outside the top 10 - Color me surprised.
  • Pocono - 2nd - Tied with Jr.
  • Watkins Glen - Outside the top 10 - Are you kidding me?
  • Michigan - 5th
  • Bristol - Outside the top 10
  • Atlanta - 10th
  • Richmond - Outside the top 10
OK, maybe the rest of you aren't surprised but half of those tracks he averages outside the top 10 over the last few races? I would have never guessed that. Especially Indy & The Glen.

I'll still pick him to make the Chase. How about you?

DP are your track standings overall or the past 4 years? I thought JG was good at both Indy and Watkins Glen? I'm surprised!

I don't think JG's gonna make it :( Kasey, Newman, Logano and Busch are all ahead of him, with 1 Win each. another concern I have is now that Stewart and Keselowski are basicly "Locked In" with 3 Wins each do they go into conservation/testing mode over the next 8 races? That could essentialy knock drivers out of the Wild card race also.

DP are your track standings overall or the past 4 years? I thought JG was good at both Indy and Watkins Glen? I'm surprised!

I don't think JG's gonna make it :( Kasey, Newman, Logano and Busch are all ahead of him, with 1 Win each. another concern I have is now that Stewart and Keselowski are basicly "Locked In" with 3 Wins each do they go into conservation/testing mode over the next 8 races? That could essentialy knock drivers out of the Wild card race also.
Only the recent races..... There is where he ranks among active drivers over the last three races at each of the upcoming races leading up to the Chase:

I probably should have worded that upcoming tracks?

I fully expected when I looked up the stats to see those same two tracks as being his best. Then I come to see he's not in the top 10. Boy was my perception off.

So much can happen, which makes the WC so interesting. With Kyle, Newman, Logano and Kasey with 1 win and in front of Jeff, he's a huge longshot to make the chase. Right now, 2 Wins in the next 8 is his only chance to RACE himself in, but that could change quickly. How solid is Harvick, Bowyer and Truex's chase spots? Not very, IMO. I could see both of them dropping out of the top 10, and without wins, they won't make the chase. Kevin is in lala land with his first child, and rightfully so. Is MWR good enough to make a big performance jump to keep Truex in? Not IMO.

Will Carl get a win or get in the top 10? Will Bowyer drop out with that 1 win? Will Newman fade out of the top 20? Will Kahne crash and burn? Gordon needs a bunch of things to happen in his favor.

So, 2 wins, and JG is in. 1 win, and he needs a big point jump. No wins, and he's toast. IMO, Gustafson shows he isn't good enough and Jeff shows he isn't hungry enough to get it done.

Just for perspective: In the middle of last season, I'm the guy who said Tony had lost the fire and was done. :oops:

DO!!! I'm fundamentally opposed to bet against Jeff Gordon. This year has had no bright spots to it though. He only has 2 top 5 finishes this year and has found some sort of trouble this year at every race it seems. I feel there's still a pretty good chance he can get 2 wins and a strong chance 1 of them comes this weekend at NHS. Only thing I'm concerned about is those drivers with one win already getting another one. As long as Jeff is behind the wheel though, anything is possible.

Who in the hell knows? Up is down, down is up... The 24 has just had a very odd year. Last year at this time they were incredible during the races leading up to the Chase.

Gordon isn't going to make it, no momemtum on his side and I don't think he has that drive he used to have when he was younger. I see Kahne performing well and a matter of time before he gets another win and I think both MWR boys make the Chase.

If I was a betting man, I would say he is done. But things could change quickly. Getting a win equals a momentum gain, and outside looking in I think they need something good to help them over the hump.

He is definitely capable of still making the doubters look foolish. But they have to hit that on button soon, and I think that's much more difficult than Stewarts made it look last year.

With the wild card who knows. He can win 2 races and take one of those spots. Honestly, I think that's the only way he's going to be able to make it at this point.

I think Hendrick will give the ride to Bad Brad not Matt . Matt's getting too old himself .:D

I think Hendrick will give the ride to Bad Brad not Matt . Matt's getting too old himself .:D

Rick had his chance to get Brad, but he blew it by offering a truely old driver another 2 years instead. But that move got him Kasey, so I'm sure he's happy.

I think Gordon will stay right where he is until Chase Elliot is ready for cup.

Jeff is done. Washed up.... Kenseth in the 24 next year

Kenseth will get the 24 about like I am going to get out of bed and look like The Rock in the morning...and if you haven't seen me, let me tell ya..that is a FARRRR stretch! lol

Anyway, I got a bad feeling that the 24 is not gonna be in the chase this year. I still think Jeff can win a race or two this year, maybe even one in the next 8. Problem is, with absolutely NOTHING going hsi way all year, why would his luck change now? Granted, the last few weeks, things have certainly improved, just not to the point that they need to. However, watch out for the 24 this weekend at Loudon, the way he is ran there recently, I wouldn't bet against that first win of the season coming there....

He won't get in, the wild cards will probably be Busch and Kahne

Last week , Andy gave the race to Kenseth and Biffle , wrote the story and mailed it in . He was a little embarrassed to find out they didn't win.:D

You know if you was to post this same thing 14 or 32 times, it would be more powerful and true.

Last week , Andy gave the race to Kenseth and Biffle , wrote the story and mailed it in . He was a little embarrassed to find out they didn't win.:D

This is true

Wonder if Andy wrote that article earlier this year saying JR would never win again? He could've been using an alias.

JR. is the next Jeff Burton. wins every four years. Has a good season going then it falls apart. Only around cuz somebody likes him

JR. is the next Jeff Burton. wins every four years. Has a good season going then it falls apart. Only around cuz somebody likes him

Everyone likes JR. How can you not like the kid?

Here's all I have to say about this...Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart are the 2 best drivers in Nascar and have been for a while. Stewart all but proved that last fall and don't think that Jeff Gordon can't pull off 4 or 5 wins over the next couple of months either;)

Everyone likes JR. How can you not like the kid?

JR is a very likeable guy...what makes many dis like him is some of his CRAZY fans!

Here's all I have to say about this...Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart are the 2 best drivers in Nascar and have been for a while. Stewart all but proved that last fall and don't think that Jeff Gordon can't pull off 4 or 5 wins over the next couple of months either;)

I agree with this statement. I have said for a long time that they are probably the two best DRIVERS in NASCAR. They have been for a good while. Gordon has all the skill in the world to get it done, he honestly just needs a little luck to fall his way....

My top ten drivers look like this:
1. Johnson
2. Kenseth
3. Stewart
4.Brad
5. Kyle
6. Kurt
7. Kahne
8.Biffle
9.Gordon
10.Harvick

My top ten drivers look like this:
1. Johnston
2. Kenseth
3. Stewart
4.Brad
5. Kyle
6. Kurt
7. Kahne
8.Biffle
9.Gordon
10.Harvick

Hey Ted. There is a T in Ted, but not in Johnson. ;)

Wht do you put Happy in tenth? Take a look at his stats over the past ten years.

Hey Ted. There is a T in Ted, but not in Johnson. ;)

Why do you put Happy in tenth? Take a look at his stats over the past ten years.
I didn't look at stats at all , nor the team input , which give Jimmy Johnson a hugh edge over Kurt Busch , I was just thinking driver . Heck , there are lots more should be on there .

Johnson and Stewart yes....Gordon no, he's lost his edge.

While I am a Fan of Johnson, and think he is a much better driver than people give him credit for...you are kidding me, right?

Johnson, 9/10 times has such a fast car built by Knaus that just about anyone could climb in and look like a rockstar. Gordon has won championships, races and such with different crew chiefs, and has made lemonade out of lemons more times thatn I can count.

Don't get me wrong, I think Jimmy is great, but on pure driving skill I don't see how he is better than Gordon....

While I am a Fan of Johnson, and think he is a much better driver than people give him credit for...you are kidding me, right?

Johnson, 9/10 times has such a fast car built by Knaus that just about anyone could climb in and look like a rockstar. Gordon has won championships, races and such with different crew chiefs, and has made lemonade out of lemons more times thatn I can count.

Don't get me wrong, I think Jimmy is great, but on pure driving skill I don't see how he is better than Gordon....

You're the one that surely must be jesting, I'm no fan of JJs' but you don't win 5 championships in a row without a LOT of talent. JJ has driven rings around Jeffy in the past 5 years, Gordon has had good cars, but doesn't capatilize on it. I wouldn't even put Jeffy in the top 15 current drivers in Nascar right now. He doesn't have it anymore, and hasn't for quite some time.To say anyone could climb in JJs' car and look like a rockstar is quite an outlandish statement. How about we put Morgan Shepard in that ride for 10 races lets see how he does, I bet he doesn't come even close to what JJ does.

JJ can wheel a car, but there is no better points racer than him. All chase long you can watch him back out of trouble and get a good finish. When Gordon pressured JJ in 2007, he rattled off 4 wins in a row and buried Jeff. Gordon said that year took a huge toll on his confidence. I don't think it's just coincidence Jeff went from 6 wins in '07 to 0, 1 and 0 the following 3 years.

With all of his championships, some people over look JJ's win total. 57 wins in 387 races is pretty damn good. JJ is also the only driver to have multiple wins in every season he has run full time.

Best driver in nascar the past 5 or 6 years, hands down.

With all of his championships, some people over look JJ's win total. 57 wins in 387 races is pretty damn good. JJ is also the only driver to have multiple wins in every season he has run full time.

Best driver in nascar the past 5 or 6 years, hands down.
Yep and most likely will be a huge favorite to win again this year. What you said about Jeffy not having confidence any more is spot on, you can almost hear in his voice sometimes. IMO he is nothing close to the driver he once was, I think he is more of family man, the many years of driving have taken its' toll on him, and he just doesn't have that "drive' to win like he used to.

Back
Top Bottom