Jimmie Johnson to Retire after 2020

Oh goodie, weekly coverage of another farewell tour for all of next year.
But I digress.
IMO I don't think JJ has it in him to hang around to work out the bugs of the 2021 package.
He threw his hail Mary with the CC change and that was that.
Miles and miles on the bike and the Nascar Hall of Fame awaits him.

Just a reminder: Jimmie is retiring from full-time racing, so 2020 will likely not be the last time we see him on the track. It irks me whenever I see the word "retirement" for any driver when the reality is they are taking a cut in hours...it's like an employee at your job moving from 40 hours per week to 10 hours. That is not retirement!

The same things were said about and by Jeff Gordon, and his post retirement racing endeavors have amounted to a grand total of ONE race. I for one would LOVE to see Jimmie go race some other things, but the fact is these kind of deals are a LOT harder to put together than they used to be, and people aren't just spitting out cash to make them happen the way they once did. It seems no matter what is said at the time, the itch to go race again seems to die pretty quickly for most of these guys once they get out of the car. The hard core dirt track guys may be the one exception, but Jimmie is not one of those guys, and the risk of getting hurt is fairly high, something the wives aren't to thrilled about.

Oh, come on, friends, let's not get into a Kyle fans vs. JJ fans argument/discussion. There's really no need to call others out over
inconsequential matters.
Personally, I hate to see JJ retire after next season. But his girls are getting old enough to need/want their dad at school functions.
Now, THIS is something I'd like to see happen --- LOL

loudly-crying-face_1f62d.png

Oh, come on, friends, let's not get into a Kyle fans vs. JJ fans argument/discussion. There's really no need to call others out over
inconsequential matters.
Personally, I hate to see JJ retire after next season. But his girls are getting old enough to need/want their dad at school functions.

Good luck getting Junior is one of those cars again.

The problem with this scenario is what make of car would they drive? Besides, the only class that would be all that practical to do a one off deal like this would be in the GTD class, and at least at this point in time, neither Ford nor GM compete in that class.

The problem with this scenario is what make of car would they drive? Besides, the only class that would be all that practical to do a one off deal like this would be in the GTD class, and at least at this point in time, neither Ford nor GM compete in that class.
Oh, yes, I know it would be almost to pull off, but a girl can dream, can't she? :D

The same things were said about and by Jeff Gordon, and his post retirement racing endeavors have amounted to a grand total of ONE race. I for one would LOVE to see Jimmie go race some other things, but the fact is these kind of deals are a LOT harder to put together than they used to be, and people aren't just spitting out cash to make them happen the way they once did. It seems no matter what is said at the time, the itch to go race again seems to die pretty quickly for most of these guys once they get out of the car. The hard core dirt track guys may be the one exception, but Jimmie is not one of those guys, and the risk of getting hurt is fairly high, something the wives aren't to thrilled about.
so true.... they all said "retire from full time Cup racing" leaving the door open that they would be racing in IMSA or Xfinity series races. The only one to still do any racing whatsoever is Tony. Well I am guess I am forgetting Jr's one Xfinity race a year but that seems its more for the convenience of Jr Motorsports sponsor agreements. I didnt really expect actually for Dale Jr to run more races in anything, I would hate for him to get another concussion, thats one I wish he wouldnt even get in a car. I am bummed Jeff Gordon doesnt race more, I was kind of excited when he left he door open at his retirement he would race in other series, but outside of the 17 Rolex he hasnt done anything. Which makes me think his back may have been worse off than let on. So...... if anything I hope JJ is the one to be this continent's version of Fernando Alonso, race anything anytime, any where, any place. On the DJD he said he'd be open to running IMSA and Indy Car road races, I at least hope he does one of those. His health is still pretty good from what we know and seems like he still wants to race. But we'll see, you're right once they get outta the car and enjoy being a civilian with the bank accounts they have...... id ask the same thing, why get back in a car??

This thread just makes me sad and nostalgic and very glad Kevin is still kicking ass in his mid 40s.
Hopefully Kevin sees a slower falloff than Jimmie did. Jimmie looked like a serious title threat again in 2017 with 3 wins by June. Then he just disappeared from the top 5, and hasn't really been close to a win outside of the Roval last year.

This thread just makes me sad and nostalgic and very glad Kevin is still kicking ass in his mid 40s.
I hope he is a true throwback and races into his 50's. Harv just keeps getting better. But when the dropoff happens and it will because it happened to all of em..... its steep.

Well thats interesting.... would HMS run the 48 part time maybe? or what would be cool is if HMS partnered with a team and made it their satellite team, so then one full time team for whoever it is and JJ Part time in another ride for that team while JJ helps develop said team and maybe test parts/setups for HMS. I really hope he still drives for Cup, I think hes still got something left but that 36 week grind wants no more part of it

This has probably already been posted but I am really surprised that Johnson will retire after next year. On the Dale Jr. Download a few months ago he said he doesn't have any plans on retiring anytime soon.

Anyone watch the press conference? Jimmie is excited for 2020, but you can tell that he seems unburdened. Looks to me like a man ready to collect retirement tbh. I don't think this was a hard decision for him. He looks like he's ready to hang it up

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It's really crazy to me that I went to 18 cup races from 2002-2017 and never saw Jimmie Johnson win in person. That includes 4 trips to Dover.

It's really crazy to me that I went to 18 cup races from 2002-2017 and never saw Jimmie Johnson win in person. That includes 4 trips to Dover.
Likewise. I've been to mostly nh. Started going there in 2004.

As I age things like this make me think a lot more than they used to.
I started watching Nascar in 2001. Jimmie came in the next year and pretty much set the Nascar world on fire. I was never a hard core Jimmie fan but I liked his personality and no one with any common sense can doubt how incredibly he was behind the wheel.
It's pure luck that the driver I latched onto (harvick) is the only one left performing at a high level from that generation of drivers . I hate it but I know his days are numbered too.

For me, Jimmie will go down as the goat cause I actually watched it happen. He whooped my driver and the rest of the field time and time again. If he was in the top five on a late restart, the race was in question. He could just make that car stick when it mattered. Often times with a car that was no where near the class of the field.

As I age things like this make me think a lot more than they used to.
I started watching Nascar in 2001. Jimmie came in the next year and pretty much set the Nascar world on fire. I was never a hard core Jimmie fan but I liked his personality and no one with any common sense can doubt how incredibly he was behind the wheel.
It's pure luck that the driver I latched onto (harvick) is the only one left performing at a high level from that generation of drivers . I hate it but I know his days are numbered too.

For me, Jimmie will go down as the goat cause I actually watched it happen. He whooped my driver and the rest of the field time and time again. If he was in the top five on a late restart, the race was in question. He could just make that car stick when it mattered. Often times with a car that was no where near the class of the field.
Kudos for acknowledging that last sentence..he's won way more races like that than anyone we've seen. People tweak about "raw talents" doing that today..but Jimmie literally made a career of that. Jimmie was the most clutch driver we've seen. 2015 fall Texas race highlights what you said here. Brad K lead over 300 laps, no one ran within a second of him for more than 2 lap.. it was ridiculous. But of course he didn't win

Just a reminder: Jimmie is retiring from full-time racing, so 2020 will likely not be the last time we see him on the track. It irks me whenever I see the word "retirement" for any driver when the reality is they are taking a cut in hours...it's like an employee at your job moving from 40 hours per week to 10 hours. That is not retirement!
That is what "My Retirement" looks like. :D

Jimmie is the all time win leader at 7 tracks. Wow

Nobody, just the guy that beat Rowdy's ass like a drum for over a decade, and did it with more class in his pinky finger than Stupid Hat Boy has in his whole body.

Ancient history :idunno: Kyle has always been real nice to me and the family, I have no problems with that end of things. I have no clue how this " stupid hat boy " rates for class as I don't know who that is.

Back
Top Bottom