Jimmie Johnson to Retire after 2020

Still have to settle some business between Chad and Jimmie. Neither have won since the divorce.

Do we know that Ryan is good for 2021?

They came in during the same season; one of them would likely run longer than tge other. Kurt's a bit more of a stretch.

Kurt is 100% driving in 2021 and most likely beyond, he said as much a few weeks ago after drying the ink.

Ryan signed a multi-year deal that Jayski believes ends in 2021 due to the Oscar Meyer deal.

Idk, Newman is more like a journeyman than a solid driver imo. He strikes me as a "Ricky Stenhouse's ceiling" kind of talent.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It's a matter of opinion, but I'd take Newman every day of the week and twice on Sunday over Stenhouse. I've never been a Newman guy, but other than his age, if he was signed to drive for HMS, I'd be OK with that. I believe he's a guy that's going to give you everything he and the car has without driving it into a wall. I like that in a driver.

To stir the pot, Daniel Suarez might be a good pick. Mr Hendrick seems to know how to select a driver a little better than most. Stenhouse has never been in a good car since Infinity, as Roush faded bad.. The fact that he was able to win two seems miraculous.
Gee Jimmy says next year is my last season and all the 18's glory went out the exhaust pipes!

Crazy how I've been cheering for him my entire life. One of my earliest memories was watching him win the 2006 Daytona 500 and many others centered around watching him win races and championships. I was born in 2001 and my parents were fans of his so I followed suit and really grew up rooting for him as the years went on. He will always be my favorite athlete of all time.

Crazy how I've been cheering for him my entire life. One of my earliest memories was watching him win the 2006 Daytona 500 and many others centered around watching him win races and championships. I was born in 2001 and my parents were fans of his so I followed suit and really grew up rooting for him as the years went on. He will always be my favorite athlete of all time.

That makes me feel suddenly old. I was watching him three years before you were born.......:eek:

It's a matter of opinion, but I'd take Newman every day of the week and twice on Sunday over Stenhouse. I've never been a Newman guy, but other than his age, if he was signed to drive for HMS, I'd be OK with that. I believe he's a guy that's going to give you everything he and the car has without driving it into a wall. I like that in a driver.
I would too. But I think Newman has been closer to Stenhouse than he has to regular winners in the sport.

Oh wow, that's unreal. I grew up invested in the 2000s generation of NASCAR. I grew up during the 90s and was born in 92. I watched races, but wasn't a die hard knowledgeable fan until 2002.

I remember watching the 96 and 97 Daytona 500. I remember watching Jeff win his 2nd 500 in 99, and DJ flipping in turn 3. I remember Jeff as the guy, taking the thunder from Dale. I wasn't as invested then as I was in the 2000s, but I can comfortably say that in my opinion, 2003-2007/2008 were the golden years of NASCAR for me. I can say with all my heart that NASCAR was better from 2000-2010 than it was from 1990-2000. Jimmie was the guy who won the most races from 2002-2005, before he won a title, he was arguably the best in the business. From there on out, he's better than anyone I've seen race in my 25 years of fandom

Thought it was cool ESPN decided to show a clip of the 48 winning their 7th championship in their sports moments of the decade.

The falloff has been pretty steep and I've never been a 48 fan but hopefully Jimmie can win 1 more.

Yeah I remember Tony saying he was shocked at how fast JJ picked up dirt late model racing. Guy is the most talented driver of all time probably

Yeah I remember Tony saying he was shocked at how fast JJ picked up dirt late model racing. Guy is the most talented driver of all time probably
Not sure if you're talking Tony or Jimmie, but FWIW, Truex, Busch and Harvick have been the guys these last 5 years in the best equipment with the best CC's relative to the competition like JJ was and didn't have the same success in a lesser field. So it is what it is.

If you're talking Tony, well, I won't disagree with that one. I do genuinely think Jimmie was more talented than Kyle at his best, and just better at being a cup driver. Tony, I will absolutely hear that argument.

It's so easy to forget that Smoke was an Indy car CHAMPION his second year in that series. On top of everything else he's done as a professional racecar driver. I know today's cup cars don't highlight those drivers who love loose cars like they used to, but if Tony and Zippy were in their primes today in the 20 instead of Jones, I'm convinced he'd be the #1 Gibbs car and best driver in the series.

The only thing that kept Tony from Kyle Busch-like numbers was his late cup start and somewhat abrupt decline due to the incident. In fact,

Compare Stewart's first 13 seasons prior to the accident to Kyle's first 13 seasons

Tony Stewart
3 Championships
44 wins
162 top 5s
266 Top 10s
Avg finish 12.6

Kyle Busch
1 Championship
43 wins
161 top 5s
241 top 10s
Avg finish 14.6

Tony was better and more accomplished from 1999-2011 than Kyle was from 2005-2017.

People seem to forget how damn good Smoke was. Second best driver of the 2000s, more talented than any driver active at the moment as they are.

CRANDALL: Gearing up for Johnson's swansong season

Fans of Johnson will be glad to hear Daniels report that “my guys have risen to the occasion.” It has been a job well done across all facets of the team – engineering, mechanical, pit crew.

“Obviously, I’ve been on the 48 team for a long time,” he says, “and the level of preparation we put in over the winter… we are very, very prepared right now.

“It’s our job to go make sure that we are capable of winning, we are winning, and we are contending for a championship to send him out the right way,” Daniels says. “That’s the champion and the leader that he is on and off the track, so I think to do justice to him, and this season, we have to make sure that it’s enjoyable and we honor him, yes, but that we do that through being as highly competitive as we can be.”

https://racer.com/2020/01/21/crandall-gearing-up-for-johnsons-swansong-season/

Not sure if you're talking Tony or Jimmie, but FWIW, Truex, Busch and Harvick have been the guys these last 5 years in the best equipment with the best CC's relative to the competition like JJ was and didn't have the same success in a lesser field. So it is what it is.

If you're talking Tony, well, I won't disagree with that one. I do genuinely think Jimmie was more talented than Kyle at his best, and just better at being a cup driver. Tony, I will absolutely hear that argument.

It's so easy to forget that Smoke was an Indy car CHAMPION his second year in that series. On top of everything else he's done as a professional racecar driver. I know today's cup cars don't highlight those drivers who love loose cars like they used to, but if Tony and Zippy were in their primes today in the 20 instead of Jones, I'm convinced he'd be the #1 Gibbs car and best driver in the series.

The only thing that kept Tony from Kyle Busch-like numbers was his late cup start and somewhat abrupt decline due to the incident. In fact,

Compare Stewart's first 13 seasons prior to the accident to Kyle's first 13 seasons

Tony Stewart
3 Championships
44 wins
162 top 5s
266 Top 10s
Avg finish 12.6

Kyle Busch
1 Championship
43 wins
161 top 5s
241 top 10s
Avg finish 14.6

Tony was better and more accomplished from 1999-2011 than Kyle was from 2005-2017.

People seem to forget how damn good Smoke was. Second best driver of the 2000s, more talented than any driver active at the moment as they are.

I could be mistaken and I probably am but doesn’t Kyle Busch have 2 (Two) Cup Championships?

:D Baaaaad question!

I somehow knew I’d need the “and I probably am”.

I would love to see Jimmie Johnson on the dirt side, it'd be interesting to see how he does in the World of Outlaw Late Model division.

Back
Top Bottom